EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-23, 06:50 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

The shift to adopt the Tesla connector otherwise known as the NACS (North America Charging Standard) has become a domino effect.

Charging networks EVGo and Flo just adopted it as well

Tesla’s NACS enjoys domino effect as EV charging companies adopt the standard

https://electrek.co/2023/06/09/tesla...ting-standard/
Old 06-09-23, 06:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

the new 'lightning' connector.

does tesla make a royalty for the connector?
Old 06-09-23, 07:00 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
The shift to adopt the Tesla connector otherwise known as the NACS (North America Charging Standard) has become a domino effect.

Charging networks EVGo and Flo just adopted it as well

Tesla’s NACS enjoys domino effect as EV charging companies adopt the standard

https://electrek.co/2023/06/09/tesla...ting-standard/
Electrify America already has two CCS cables per charger. My guess is they start converting half of those to NACS so each charger supports both standards.
Old 06-09-23, 07:14 AM
swajames
Pole Position

@AMIRZA786 with today’s gains, we just hit $250 so it looks like your Y is basically paid off
Old 06-09-23, 07:22 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
good one!😁
I don't think so. Elon Musk just made the standard open
Old 06-09-23, 07:31 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

"the great thing about standards is there's so many to choose from"
Brilliant!
So funny and so true~!

I'm gonna guess...... YES!

Originally Posted by swajames
Electrify America already has two CCS cables per charger. My guess is they start converting half of those to NACS so each charger supports both standards.
Ok, noob question here, why do they have 2 cables per charger?

Originally Posted by Hameed
good one!😁
I don't think so. Elon Musk just made the standard open
I deal with "open" standards everyday and I hate to break the bad news to everyone but in my experience they are never really open.
Open in the sense that they make the standards available but at the same time fiercely protect the intellectual property rights and if Elon makes it free it will be the first time I ever seen it done.

Every "open protocol" Ive ever sen in the industrial world came with strings attached aka you can't use it without royalties and going thru their paces for compliance to use for profit of any kind.

Old 06-09-23, 08:24 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

@AMIRZA786 with today’s gains, we just hit $250 so it looks like your Y is basically paid off
I haven't sold yet . I have an "Sell" set if it hits $255. I know, I'm being greedy
Old 06-09-23, 08:29 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
Brilliant!
So funny and so true~!

I'm gonna guess...... YES!

Ok, noob question here, why do they have 2 cables per charger?

I deal with "open" standards everyday and I hate to break the bad news to everyone but in my experience they are never really open.
Open in the sense that they make the standards available but at the same time fiercely protect the intellectual property rights and if Elon makes it free it will be the first time I ever seen it done.

Every "open protocol" Ive ever sen in the industrial world came with strings attached aka you can't use it without royalties and going thru their paces for compliance to use for profit of any kind.
The new EA chargers only have 1 cable because they are now spring retractable, allowing them to be extended like Costco gas stations. The two cables are because some EV's put their charging ports in different places. My Polestar puts it on the rear drivers side where the gas tank would be (because it shares the same platform as the Volvo ICE version). My daughters Bolt puts it in the front drivers side. Anyway, this allows the older EA chargers to reach one side or the other of the car. Depending on where your charging port is, you would either back in or park front first

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 06-09-23 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-09-23, 09:12 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
The new EA chargers only have 1 cable because they are now spring retractable, allowing them to be extended like Costco gas stations. The two cables are because some EV's put their charging ports in different places. My Polestar puts it on the rear drivers side where the gas tank would be (because it shares the same platform as the Volvo ICE version). My daughters Bolt puts it in the front drivers side. Anyway, this allows the older EA chargers to reach one side or the other of the car. Depending on where your charging port is, you would either back in or park front first

Thank you Amirza.
I thought have 2 plugs was for redundancy in case somebody broke one but was just a wild guess but your explanation makes sense.

Unless Elon makes the intellectual property free for anyone to use their plug design(royalty free), Tesla will be making COINS $$$ every time a Ford or GM plugs into their chargers.
-OR- maybe a one time fee to put the plug on their car BUT won't they still need the Tesla app to charge?

Hilarious, if I'm understanding what ya'll are saying about them using Tesla's plugs.

Cha Ching, that's the money machine. lol $$$

Last edited by Margate330; 06-09-23 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-09-23, 09:19 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
Thank you Amirza.
I thought have 2 plugs was for redundancy in case somebody broke one but was just a wild guess but your explanation makes sense.

Unless Elon makes the intellectual property free for anyone to use their plug design(royalty free), Tesla will be making COINS $$$ every time a Ford or GM plugs into their chargers.
-OR- maybe a one time fee to put the plug on their car BUT won't they still need the Tesla app to charge?

Hilarious, if I'm understanding what ya'll are saying about them using Tesla's plugs.

Cha Ching, that's the money machine. lol $$$
Tesla made the NACS standard free and open. Every manufacturer can design and build their own, just like USB-C. Tesla only will charge for Super charger usage
Old 06-09-23, 09:22 AM
swajames
Pole Position

It's an open standard, Margate330. So no royalties. Tesla will make money on the any usage of its chargers though.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/opening-n...rging-standard
Old 06-09-23, 09:23 AM
swajames
Pole Position

haha @AMIRZA786 beat me to it!
Old 06-09-23, 09:41 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you guys.

I'm blown away.
From what ya'll say with the EV charging linked with the app and it recognizing your car and stuf I was expecting that "plug" to be wrapped in several patents to secure the "intellectual property" with how it works with the machine.

Pack the plug with proprietary sensors and communication protocols and make it proprietary and call it "open" BUT not free.

That's the name of the game in my world working on industrial machines, it's all about the royalties when you start digging in and open never means free unless we're talking about industry standards like a network plug.

I understand USB plugs for computers are open standards but that's not what I was talking about.
I was talking about Tesla lettig others use their plugs to plug into their technology aka the Tesla chargers,

Shocked he gave it away but there may be an angle I'm not seeing yet but ya'll did mention it would let Fords plug into Tesla charging stations so maybe that's a win for Tesla.
Old 06-09-23, 09:41 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

haha @AMIRZA786 beat me to it!
Are you referring to the "greedy" post, or the Open Standards response to Margate330? If the greedy post, than guilty as charged
Old 06-09-23, 09:42 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Are you referring to the "greedy" post, or the Open Standards response to Margate330? If the greedy post, than guilty as charged
Open standards!

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion