EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-23, 09:49 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Thank you guys.

I'm blown away.
From what ya'll say with the EV charging linked with the app and it recognizing your car and stuf I was expecting that "plug" to be wrapped in several patents to secure the "intellectual property" with how it works with the machine.

Pack the plug with proprietary sensors and communication protocols and make it proprietary and call it "open" BUT not free.

That's the name of the game in my world working on industrial machines, it's all about the royalties when you start digging in and open never means free unless we're talking about industry standards like a network plug.

I understand USB plugs for computers are open standards but that's not what I was talking about.
I was talking about Tesla lettig others use their plugs to plug into their technology aka the Tesla chargers,

Shocked he gave it away but there may be an angle I'm not seeing yet but ya'll did mention it would let Fords plug into Tesla charging stations so maybe that's a win for Tesla.
The "angle" you refer to is that Tesla will now have a new revenue stream with Ford, GM, and I'm sure soon drivers of other EV's using Tesla superchargers. Mary Barra, GM's CEO said in an interview that GM would be saving $750B (yes, Billion) in not having to invest in charging infrastructure. They will probably be paying Tesla some type of fee, and when GM or Ford offers free charging as an incentive to buy their cars, they will be paying Tesla for the super charger usage. So there's your angle
Old 06-09-23, 09:52 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Thank you guys.

I'm blown away.
From what ya'll say with the EV charging linked with the app and it recognizing your car and stuf I was expecting that "plug" to be wrapped in several patents to secure the "intellectual property" with how it works with the machine.

Pack the plug with proprietary sensors and communication protocols and make it proprietary and call it "open" BUT not free.

That's the name of the game in my world working on industrial machines, it's all about the royalties when you start digging in and open never means free unless we're talking about industry standards like a network plug.

I understand USB plugs for computers are open standards but that's not what I was talking about.
I was talking about Tesla lettig others use their plugs to plug into their technology aka the Tesla chargers,

Shocked he gave it away but there may be an angle I'm not seeing yet but ya'll did mention it would let Fords plug into Tesla charging stations so maybe that's a win for Tesla.
NACS is a physical connector type--literally just the pathway for the electrons. Tesla chargers use the CCS protocol to communicate with the vehicle. That's why adapters between CCS and NACS work, because it's just changing the orientation of the connections. The handshake and data exchange remain the same.

Think of this change like going from the desktop version of USB-B to Mini-USB or Micro-USB. The cable looks different, but everything works the same.
Old 06-09-23, 10:11 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
NACS is a physical connector type--literally just the pathway for the electrons. Tesla chargers use the CCS protocol to communicate with the vehicle. That's why adapters between CCS and NACS work, because it's just changing the orientation of the connections. The handshake and data exchange remain the same.

Think of this change like going from the desktop version of USB-B to Mini-USB or Micro-USB. The cable looks different, but everything works the same.
Thank you Gecko29.

Ok, so it's "just a plug" and nothing fancy about it and just passes electric, from you description, that's simple.

I'm so naive, I thought the plug had tech in it and recognized the car when it was plugged in, based on that tech.

Just my assumption being a noob and reading posts.

Well that makes things easy for everyone to slap the same plug on their cars, if they can swallow some pride and do it, and it looks like they are(Ford) from what ya'll are saying.
Old 06-09-23, 10:18 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Thank you Gecko29.

Ok, so it's "just a plug" and nothing fancy about it and just passes electric, from you description, that's simple.

I'm so naive, I thought the plug had tech in it and recognized the car when it was plugged in, based on that tech.
Just my assumption being a noob and reading posts.

Well that makes things easy for everyone to slap the same plug on their cars, if they can swallow some pride and do it, and it looks like they are(Ford) from what ya'll are saying.
Thank you @geko29 for pointing that out. I think in Tesla's case, the chargers communicate with the app and not through the connector

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 06-09-23 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-09-23, 10:58 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Tesla should also provide the charging box, non Tesla hardware is a giant mess.

Old 06-09-23, 05:28 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Ford and GM lose tons on their EV endeavours. They realized they would sell far fewer EVs if they were dependent on the (poor quality) non-Tesla chargers. Ford caved which left GM no choice. Tesla will continue to build out their Supercharger netwok, even faster, and now Ford/GM will pay for it. Tesla is not a charity; Ford and GM will pay dearly. Tesla has won. Ford and GM have a long way to go. Investment in non-Tesla chargers just went out the window; they are toast. Riviian, Lucid and the rest will jump on board.

The big boys are eating out of the wack visionary's hand. The wack visionary owns the gas station. That, my friends, is the cash cow to end all cash cows. Game over.
Old 06-10-23, 12:10 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Tesla should also provide the charging box, non Tesla hardware is a giant mess.

Thank you for the eye candy. lol
I love this stuff.

Maybe a new thread in the future on just the charging technology could be fun

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Ford and GM lose tons on their EV endeavours. They realized they would sell far fewer EVs if they were dependent on the (poor quality) non-Tesla chargers. Ford caved which left GM no choice. Tesla will continue to build out their Supercharger netwok, even faster, and now Ford/GM will pay for it. Tesla is not a charity; Ford and GM will pay dearly. Tesla has won. Ford and GM have a long way to go. Investment in non-Tesla chargers just went out the window; they are toast. Riviian, Lucid and the rest will jump on board.

The big boys are eating out of the wack visionary's hand. The wack visionary owns the gas station. That, my friends, is the cash cow to end all cash cows. Game over.
Maybe it's a blessing in disguise for the other mfg's.
They can concentrate on making cars and let someone else worry about infrastructure.
Honestly that's the way I think it should be.

No proprietary chargers and plug/communication interfaces, and games. lol

If Tesla wants another revenue stream for power distribution, good for them and anyone else that's wants to get in the game.
Old 06-10-23, 05:39 AM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Game over for what?

Lol this thread cracks me up. In other news, Mercedes leading the FSD game.

Last edited by nitroracer; 06-10-23 at 05:45 AM.
Old 06-10-23, 08:12 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nitroracer
Game over for what?

Hi nitroracer,

We are talking Tesla Business.
Your link may be a fun topic for a new thread IMO.
Old 06-10-23, 08:40 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Game over for what?

Here's the point: EVs need to charge and Tesla owns the gas stations. That's cornering the market. Tesla stock jumped and investment in CCS companies tanked.
Rivian, Lucid and other EV companies are likely to follow suit. They have to charge.
GM and Ford knew their sales would struggle if they were dependent on the unreliable and small footprint non-Tesla chargers. CEO Barra claimed a $400M saving.
They had no choice and caved to Tesla. The Tesla Supercharger Network is a cash cow; every time a GM/Ford EV charges there, the $$ rolls in.

Last edited by JeffKeryk; 06-10-23 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-10-23, 10:57 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Game over for what?

You didn't read the article did you.

It can only operate during the day on certain limited roads, and only at speeds of up to 40 miles per hour.
Also it has to have a lead car otherwise the system shuts off. It's basically useless.
Old 06-10-23, 11:36 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Game over for what?

It's usage case is very limited, so it's not really that big of a deal in the bigger picture. The big news is that NACS will be the North American charging connector standard, already two big automakers and charging networks are adoption it, it's just a matter of time before the Germans cave in. This also shows that Ford and GM, seeing the rise of Tesla are actually taking BEV'S seriously.

Elon's a super smart guy, but he's still a fallible human being who is nowhere near perfect in my eyes. But when it comes to business, I'll never bet against him. Thankfully so, as had I followed all the "smart institutional investors", I would have made some money, but would have lost out on gains I could have had
Old 06-10-23, 01:09 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

This is genius
https://www.tesla.com/host-a-supercharger
Old 06-10-23, 01:12 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I'm going to send the link to our CFO!
Old 06-11-23, 04:29 AM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

. It means you have to give up car parks exclusively for Teslas - not a good business model unless you can’t drive organic traffic to your business to occupy a few car parks.

In that case, no supercharger is going to help.

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion