EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-23, 08:02 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
The Toyota owners I know are what I would call traditional, none of them want a Tesla. Although they admit they have never driven one or know much about them. The prevailing attitude is EVs are bad for the environment and no I am not in redneck country many people in my city are liberal types (voting patterns prove it).
There are multiple reasons why. A lot of people think Tesla cars are ugly. Some don't want to control literally everything with a giant screen. Some don't like the build quality. Some don't want to deal with charging. Some just don't want to support Elon. It's not all about Tesla. There are lots of customers waiting for EV's to progress along and for some legacy automakers to release electric Accords, Camry's, Civic's, etc. Right now there just isn't many good options for an EV.
Old 06-29-23, 08:08 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
There are multiple reasons why. A lot of people think Tesla cars are ugly. Some don't want to control literally everything with a giant screen. Some don't like the build quality. Some don't want to deal with charging. Some just don't want to support Elon. It's not all about Tesla. There are lots of customers waiting for EV's to progress along and for some legacy automakers to release electric Accords, Camry's, Civic's, etc. Right now there just isn't many good options for an EV.
That doesn't change the fact that Toyota and Lexus is rapidly losing customers to Tesla. How do you explain the Model Y outselling Camry, Corolla and Rav4? You can make all the speeches you want, but I can tell you as someone who's owned probably more Toyota's than most people on this forum.... Tesla's are better. Way, way better. Not one Toyota or Lexus comes close. Except the LC500, but that's another class of car. End of story

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 06-29-23 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-29-23, 08:14 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Tesla's are better. Way, way better. Not one Toyota or Lexus comes close. End of story
you clearly don’t speak for everyone so it isn’t “end if story”.

Don’t be dismissive of other people’s preferences, this is yours and that’s absolutely fine. But it is yours.

Old 06-29-23, 08:15 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
you clearly don’t speak for everyone so it isn’t “end if story”.

Don’t be dismissive of other people’s preferences, this is yours and that’s absolutely fine. But it is yours.
He's never driven a Tesla, so who is he to judge?
Old 06-29-23, 08:16 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

He's never driven a Tesla, so who is he to judge?

i have driven one and you don’t speak for me. Missing the point, you are doing the judging here.

fine to be enthusiastic about your Tesla but not everyone has the same requirements or likes as you. They have their shortcomings just like Toyota and Lexus do. Being dismissive of other members preferences isn’t something we need here

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-29-23 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-29-23, 08:16 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

i have driven one and you don’t speak for me. Missing the point, you are doing the judging here.
Fair enough. But I didn't come into a Toyota thread putting down someone's choice and disparaging it like he does. I don't recall calling what he drives ugly

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 06-29-23 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-29-23, 08:21 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Fair enough. But I didn't come into a Toyota thread putting down someone's choice and disparaging it like he does. I don't recall calling what he drives ugly
You really don’t want me to search for that do you? ….

let’s take this to pm.
Old 06-29-23, 08:21 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 533 Likes on 362 Posts

The Toyota owners I know are what I would call traditional, none of them want a Tesla. Although they admit they have never driven one or know much about them. The prevailing attitude is EVs are bad for the environment and no I am not in redneck country many people in my city are liberal types (voting patterns prove it).
Teslas have been expensive while the Honda Toyota market is value based. But that is changing with Tesla lowering prices and gvt kickbacks.
People are learning about the reality of EV ownership vs range anxiety. These cars are different, you learn.
The pandemic made cars scarce and expensive; dealerships took advantage of their loyal customers. Even Toyota. Tesla's direct sales model proved to be popular.

Then there is the driving experience. A Model 3 or Model Y is a flat out blast to drive, unlike value based vehicles. The cool factor is real; people want Teslas. And younger people, who grew up with computers, want the tech and take to it naturally.
Things are changing and the rate of change is accelerating. We are all surprised.
Old 06-29-23, 08:28 PM
xjokerz
Racer

I gave reasons why a lot of customers aren't choosing to buy a Tesla...
Old 06-29-23, 08:33 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,935 Likes on 2,471 Posts

There are multiple reasons why. A lot of people think Tesla cars are ugly.
They do? I wonder how you know this.
Some don't want to control literally everything with a giant screen. Some don't like the build quality. Some don't want to deal with charging. Some just don't want to support Elon.
Maybe. No Toyota owners I know (which is a pile of them they all want me to be their mechanic) give a toss about any of the above. Not long ago the "Twitter overhang" and the apparent dislike for Elon was doing severe damage to the Tesla brand. In that time Tesla favorability rating when up a few points. Narrative vs. reality.
It's not all about Tesla. There are lots of customers waiting for EV's to progress along and for some legacy automakers to release electric Accords, Camry's, Civic's, etc. Right now there just isn't many good options for an EV.
Tesla is expanding as quickly as possible. Toyota, Honda and others are making promises and delivering nothing.
I gave reasons why a lot of customers aren't choosing to buy a Tesla...
Every auto maker has buyers that have their reasons for not choosing them you don't except Tesla to give people zero reason not to buy do you? Tesla has the highest brand retention of any auto maker by far, people that do buy are comparatively the most happy.
Old 06-29-23, 08:34 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Back on topic folks
Old 06-29-23, 08:37 PM
xjokerz
Racer

They do? I wonder how you know this.

Maybe. No Toyota owners I know (which is a pile of them they all want me to be their mechanic) give a toss about any of the above. Not long ago the "Twitter overhang" and the apparent dislike for Elon was doing severe damage to the Tesla brand. In that time Tesla favorability rating when up a few points. Narrative vs. reality.

Tesla is expanding as quickly as possible. Toyota, Honda and others are making promises and delivering nothing.

Every auto maker has buyers that have their reasons for not choosing them you don't except Tesla to give people zero reason not to buy do you?
You and your buddies on here can keep being the unofficial spokesmen for Tesla all you want. I'm telling you what I hear from lots of people and they all give different reasons why they won't buy a Tesla. Again, it's not all about Tesla.
Old 06-29-23, 08:38 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Back on topic folks
No problem, posted that last response and didn't see this.
Old 06-29-23, 08:46 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

You and your buddies on here can keep being the unofficial spokesmen for Tesla all you want. I'm telling you what I hear from lots of people and they all give different reasons why they won't buy a Tesla. Again, it's not all about Tesla.
I own a Tesla, so that earns me the right to be a spokesman. And still own a Toyota. You still haven't answered why Teslas outsell Toyota's bread and butter vehicles
Old 06-29-23, 08:50 PM
xjokerz
Racer

I own a Tesla, so that earns me the right to be a spokesman. You still haven't answered why Teslas outsell Toyota's bread and butter vehicles
Deleted as per Dave's request to stay on topic.

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion