EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-23 | 10:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
"demand continues to decrease" is interesting, considering they sold record level of vehicles last year, and overall EVs have record share in Europe and China.

Question is - will that demand go to Tesla and what is the limit of demand at current prices (which are extremely high).

In China, they dropped the pricing... almost to 2021 levels. In Europe, they are discounting available cars (they seem to have few hundred available cars in Europe). Hopefully with new boss at help of sales, that will mean they will start dropping the price to where it was in 2021.

At that point, they will have huge demand.

Rising prices by 30%-40% and doubling your manufacturing abilities to over 2m, this had to happen.

Next step after lowering the prices would be doing regular car stuff:
- Tesla owned finance company (this is how Toyota makes a lot of their money) and introduction of leases - right now Tesla sells 5% of vehicles via leasing vs >50% for other premium brands at similar prices
- Marketing and PR deparment
etc, etc.

They cant continue behaving if they are producing 400k vehicles anymore. Now they are serious manufacturer that wants to do 2m vehicles in 2023. This is on level of BMW, MB, but with market limited to where EV is possible (China, Europe, parts of USA).

Demand is softening. There is no doubt about it. The discounts prove it.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-06-23 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-06-23 | 10:55 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

I wouldn't buy a 3 now in the US until the details on the Highland refresh are sorted out.
Old 01-07-23 | 06:51 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Looks like the model S and X are getting normal steering wheels as option. That’s good.
That’s a start but my main issue are not having stalks for the turn signals and using the interface to go into forward and reverse. When doing a 3 point turn or parallel parking can result badly because sometimes swiping doesn’t always register and you think it did and I and others have almost hit another car because of it. Such a dumb design.

The good news is red calipers and new brake pads for the model S as well.
Old 01-07-23 | 11:07 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Demand is softening. There is no doubt about it. The discounts prove it.
Not so sure. Tesla wants factory utilization, market share and is focusing on smoothing the delivery curve.
40% YOY growth does not look like a demand problem.
Old 01-07-23 | 11:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Not so sure. Tesla wants factory utilization,.
I am 100% sure the demand is softening. The discount tell the story
Old 01-07-23 | 11:19 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

The advent of leases will be HUGE! It pairs perfectly with the nature of EVs in the first place and I would not be at all shocked to see a subscription based model.
Old 01-07-23 | 11:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
The advent of leases will be HUGE! It pairs perfectly with the nature of EVs in the first place and I would not be at all shocked to see a subscription based model.
This would help yes. But they need cheaper products. Interest rates are rising so higher priced models are gonna slow in sales naturally, this would go for all brands. A recession is also on the horizon (promoted by Elon Musk himself) and lastly rising battery and energy costs will not help.

Originally Posted by Striker223
I would not be at all shocked to see a subscription based model.
People will own nothing, but be happy

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-07-23 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-07-23 | 11:55 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
news from today are:
- S/X gets normal steering as default option
- S/X LR start sales in Europe
- S/X LR/Plaid start sales in China
- 3/Y get huge price cuts in China of 15%-20% to almost go back to 2021 levels
- 3/Y Inventory of vehicles available in Europe with small discounts ($3000-$5000).
Well if that’s not indicator of softening demand- I’m not sure what is.

I just built a base Model Y and its $65k!!! Not including another $2-3k to install a stupid charger. This thing should be $50k max for the build quality and overall design.

I think the “look at me I have a Tesla so I’m cool” has played out and ppl are no longer impressed by it.
They need to update their stale products and introduce new models like CyberTruck.

The old OEMs will have a nightmare with EVs if Tesla can’t turn a profit with all the government money they got and no historic labor expenses to weigh down expenses. Remember Tesla has never been through a recession period - we shall see if it survives.
Old 01-07-23 | 01:01 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Remember Tesla has never been through a recession period -
Proof you know nothing about the company.
Old 01-07-23 | 03:02 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

I just built a base Model Y and its $65k!!! Not including another $2-3k to install a stupid charger. This thing should be $50k max for the build quality and overall design.

I think the “look at me I have a Tesla so I’m cool” has played out and ppl are no longer impressed by it.
They need to update their stale products and introduce new models like CyberTruck.

The old OEMs will have a nightmare with EVs if Tesla can’t turn a profit with all the government money they got and no historic labor expenses to weigh down expenses. Remember Tesla has never been through a recession period - we shall see if it survives.
It definitely looks like demand is "softening"

Old 01-07-23 | 03:30 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Yeah, I am worried about tesla going forward. 40% YOY growth, the Model Y the #1 car in the world by revenue, of any kind and the Model 3 is close behind.
If you understand capitol equipment manufacturing, you understand the importance of smoothing the delivery schedule and factory utilization to spread indirect cost over more incremental deliveries.
Old 01-07-23 | 04:47 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

They need more models, especially in the lower price range. The S and the X are niche cars for the wealthy, the 3 and the Y aren't enough to sustain that sales growth, even if you add the kooky looking cyber truck to the mix. They need a Corolla sized vehicle in sedan and CUV form factors. I thought the plant in Mexico would have been announced already.
Old 01-07-23 | 05:00 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
They need more models, especially in the lower price range. The S and the X are niche cars for the wealthy, the 3 and the Y aren't enough to sustain that sales growth, even if you add the kooky looking cyber truck to the mix. They need a Corolla sized vehicle in sedan and CUV form factors. I thought the plant in Mexico would have been announced already.
Can I plz add, I kinda think Tesla should make a small low end EV.
Size of the Chevy Spark EV.

Throw in something in the RX size.
And don't make them boring and goofy looking! lol
Old 01-07-23 | 05:06 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
I agree with you, but there is a problem...Tesla cannot produce enough Model 3 and Model Y as it is to satisfy current demand. They have barely gotten Giga Austin and Giga Berlin online. Brining in a new line of lower priced cars would strain Tesla to the max and the wait would probably extend waiting times into a year. Right now their bread and butter are the Model 3 and Y priced as they are. I'm sure once Tesla actually gets real competition they may produce lower priced models, but at this point doing so would be shooting themselves in the foot. Just my humble opinion
Old 01-07-23 | 05:09 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

"Much to learn, you still have...."
-Jedi Master Yoda

BTW, the "Stupid charger" you mention is $400. Bringing a 240v circuit is probably another $200 to $400. One or two months not having to fill up with stupid gas will more than pay you back

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 01-07-23 at 05:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion