EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-23 | 05:14 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
Can I plz add, I kinda think Tesla should make a small low end EV.
Size of the Chevy Spark EV.
Does this sell in huge volumes?
Old 01-07-23 | 05:19 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Throw in something in the RX size.
And don't make them boring and goofy looking! lol
Think about it....Tesla Model 3 and Y outsell the Chevy Spark EV to an extent where the Spark EV is not even remotely competition.
Old 01-07-23 | 05:20 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Does this sell in huge volumes?
Good question and I am not qualified to answer.

I'd guess maybe a little here in US but mostly in other countries with densely populated cities where small cars are the 'big deal'.
May be completely naive, just thinking fill in the holes in the product range selection.

Tesla needs more flavors, IMO.
Old 01-07-23 | 05:24 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Good question and I am not qualified to answer.

I'd guess maybe a little here in US but mostly in other countries with densely populated cities where small cars are the 'big deal'.
May be completely naive, just thinking fill in the holes in the product range selection.
Tesla can't even keep up with M3 & Y orders...adding new lines would actually hurt Tesla because they wouldn't be in a position to produce any other vehicles. They would be in the same position as Lucid....selling a car they can't even deliver to customers
Old 01-07-23 | 05:30 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Tesla can't even keep up with M3 & Y orders...adding new lines would actually hurt Tesla because they wouldn't be in a position to produce any other vehicles. They would be in the same position as Lucid....selling a car they can't even deliver to customers
Thank you Amirza.
Guesing you're back in US?

What ya'll thinking furure will hold for Tesla "flavors"?
Company stays selling select specialty models or becomes a one stop shop.
Old 01-07-23 | 05:33 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Currently other auto makers need to figure out to make a profit, any profit on EVs much more than Tesla needs to go downmarket. Tesla is working on an unknown lower priced vehicle that's about all we know.
Old 01-07-23 | 05:37 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Thank you Amirza.
Guesing you're back in US?

What ya'll thinking furure will hold for Tesla "flavors"?
Company stays selling select specialty models or becomes a one stop shop.
Yep, got back on Thursday. 20 hour travel day...16.5 hour flight from Dubai. Here's a pic of the Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world:

At this point, Tesla will not be adding any new flavors for some time, at least for now. As I mentioned earlier, Model Y is soon going to be the best selling car followed closely by the Model 3. From a business perspective, they are doing exactly what they should be doing. Adding "new flavors" is an unnecessary endeavor
Old 01-07-23 | 06:17 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Awesome pic amirza.

Is that the building they did that penthouse stunt in Fast & Furious?
Might pm you about that separately and what it's like there, unless you drop a thread on it, hint hint.
I've never been out of the US so that would be cool.
What they drive, what it's like there, etc, etc if you feel it's thread worthy talking about cars they drive n other countres...

Last edited by Margate330; 01-08-23 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-07-23 | 06:26 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Awesome pic amirza.

Is that the building they did that penthouse stunt in Fast & Furious?
Might pm you about that separately and what it's like there, unless you drop a thread on it, hint hint.
I've never been out of the US so that would be cool.
What they drive, what it's like there, etc, etc if you feel it's thread worthy talking about cars they drive n other countres...

In topic of this thread- I saw your other post in another thread that EV's are not popular there.
Any Tesla presence at all or doing any business there from what you seen?
Yes, I believe that is the same building in the Fast and Furious. Love to tell you about my travels which was too three different countries.

There were some Tesla's in Dubai, but in general the Middle East EV'S are not in their future as gas is dirt cheap. But the result is massive air pollution. You can smell the gas fumes and feel your lungs burning. We are all coughing like crazy from the pollution.

Dubai is like a big mall, the people are very materialistic. Lots of showiness. Very pretty, but not my cup of tea
Old 01-07-23 | 08:56 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Yes, I believe that is the same building in the Fast and Furious. Love to tell you about my travels which was too three different countries.

There were some Tesla's in Dubai, but in general the Middle East EV'S are not in their future as gas is dirt cheap. But the result is massive air pollution. You can smell the gas fumes and feel your lungs burning. We are all coughing like crazy from the pollution.

Dubai is like a big mall, the people are very materialistic. Lots of showiness. Very pretty, but not my cup of tea
Dramatic much? I seriously doubt the small number of cars there vs US cites was noticeable vs the fact it's a desert
Old 01-07-23 | 09:18 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
Dramatic much? I seriously doubt the small number of cars there vs US cites was noticeable vs the fact it's a desert
There are more cars on the road in the Middle East than the US. ALL the roads are so congested you can't drive more than 30 miles per hour. How do I know? I was there (three different countries) for almost 3 weeks. BTW not all of the middle east is dessert lol. And yes, vehicle pollution is very noticeable over there, I now have full blown asthma and a hacking cough thanks to unregulated carbon emissions

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 01-07-23 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-08-23 | 05:12 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Edit: I removed my off topic stuff.

Last edited by Margate330; 01-08-23 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-08-23 | 05:18 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Let’s get back on topic please folks
Old 01-08-23 | 07:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
All the EV hype is finally going to go bust!👍
lol.

Originally Posted by Hameed
It definitely looks like demand is "softening"

LOL

Throw in something in the RX size.
And don't make them boring and goofy looking! lol
looks are subjective, but the model y has more interior room than the rx.

Tesla needs more flavors, IMO.
agreed. whacky truck is next at the end of the year.

the 3/Y are like the camry/rav4 of ev's though... and tesla's just fine with those 'limitations'

as for a smaller vehicle, tesla hints they're working on that, but i suspect that's more for the rest of the world as small cars just don't do well in the u.s. and if it's smaller it may not be a whole lot less expensive to produce. tesla is obsessively working to simplify and cost reduce the manufacturing of 3/Y (basically front and back giant castings connected by a battery pack!). this obsession can keep their YEARS ahead of competitors. gm, rivian seem incapable of producing many vehicles and lose money on every one sold. ford, vw, hyundai/kia, i'm not sure if they lose money on them. toyota? crickets.

bottom line: tesla isn't going away, despite 'haters' wishes.
Old 01-08-23 | 07:43 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

The new models would come from a new plant (Mexico), or maybe from unused capacity in China where Tesla faces more competition from BYD. But a China made model2 wouldn't get the US tax credit, a Mexico made model2 would.

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion