EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-23, 06:49 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
You heard it here first, Tesla is the same as the PT Cruiser. I'd be so embarrassed if I posted that.
You've posted worse.
Spoiler

Old 01-12-23, 06:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
they will run out of people to sell to unless they start making something cheap and something high end. If they moved to subscriptions it would help a lot since they then can truely be treated like phones/throwaway items.
no idea what you base that on. you're basically saying the brand is a fad, or maybe you think EVs are a fad, despite all evidence to the contrary.

i get that you love mechanical things. it's your profession. every time i drive either of my ice cars these days, i think how insanely complex they are, how 'uneven' the performance is, how transmissions, while necessary, rob engines of power. there's no doubt there's a compelling magic to the 'symphony' of mechanical parts that make ice cars actually work and actually amazingly reliable, but having said all that, the simplicity of an EV, combined with the smoothness, responsiveness, even power delivery, quietness, and even greater reliability and lack of much maintenance, which makes them obviously a better thing. the charging networks will continue to improve. home charging will become more available, even in condos, etc. yes, not all living spaces will have convenient charging for a long time. but there's no slowing the ev train, unless say lithium mines and companies hold the industry hostage and make ev prices unattractive.

recently driving an mb eqs suv, i was blown away. it's magical. when i drive my lc500, it's captivating, looks great, and fun to drive more to me for the steering than the engine, but not magical.
Old 01-12-23, 07:14 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
no idea what you base that on. you're basically saying the brand is a fad, or maybe you think EVs are a fad, despite all evidence to the contrary.

i get that you love mechanical things. it's your profession. every time i drive either of my ice cars these days, i think how insanely complex they are, how 'uneven' the performance is, how transmissions, while necessary, rob engines of power. there's no doubt there's a compelling magic to the 'symphony' of mechanical parts that make ice cars actually work and actually amazingly reliable, but having said all that, the simplicity of an EV, combined with the smoothness, responsiveness, even power delivery, quietness, and even greater reliability and lack of much maintenance, which makes them obviously a better thing. the charging networks will continue to improve. home charging will become more available, even in condos, etc. yes, not all living spaces will have convenient charging for a long time. but there's no slowing the ev train, unless say lithium mines and companies hold the industry hostage and make ev prices unattractive.

recently driving an mb eqs suv, i was blown away. it's magical. when i drive my lc500, it's captivating, looks great, and fun to drive more to me for the steering than the engine, but not magical.
Wow. Well said.
Old 01-12-23, 07:17 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Wow. Well said.
Definitely well said. I'm going to steal the word "Magical" from him. Don't sue me Bit
Old 01-12-23, 08:40 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

The Trabant sold 2.8 million vehicles. RIP Tesla.
Whoa. Will miracles never cease.
Old 01-12-23, 08:45 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know how much more they will grow their shipments, but even if they maintain current sales levels, you have to admit Tesla has been a success. We bought ours not because of luxury in the old fashion sense, but because of the luxury of the technology that lends to the overall experience. For example, the other day, while waiting for my daughter's lessons to finish, I had the "luxury" of waiting in our climate controlled Tesla, watching a movie. Seemed pretty rad to me.
Old 01-12-23, 09:05 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

And just like that, Tesla drops prices. Not seeing how anyone can think Tesla is going to slow. More production and cheaper prices demand is still high.

https://electrek.co/2023/01/12/amid-...-to-13k-in-us/

Old 01-12-23, 09:18 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

quite possible, but even iphone has in fact changed a great deal over the years. but maybe the 911 is a better comparison... always a 911, but it's actually massively changed over the decades.

the model 3 and S looks pretty great. i don't see how you can say they're 'goofy'. the Y 'tall 3' is not great looking from certain angles (front and back).
911 - you can order million different ways, they are all unique and they only sell 7-10k units per year in various models.
The Tesla cars have no options and almost no uniqueness besides colors.

Model 3 is NOT a good looking car and to me is very goofy. Model S is a good design but not befitting a $125k car.

Attached Thumbnails Tesla business discussion-three-quarters-1539129951.jpg  
Old 01-12-23, 09:25 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
911 - you can order million different ways, they are all unique and they only sell 7-10k units per year in various models.
The Tesla cars have no options and almost no uniqueness besides colors.

Model 3 is NOT a good looking car and to me is very goofy. Model S is a good design but not befitting a $125k car.
Porsche has an upscale demographic that demands and is willing to pay for all those million options. Tesla has simplified the process by not offering to much. Tesla's philosophy seems to be very popular, so I don't think there is any compelling reason for them to change
Old 01-12-23, 09:29 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GFerg
And just like that, Tesla drops prices. Not seeing how anyone can think Tesla is going to slow. More production and cheaper prices demand is still high.

https://electrek.co/2023/01/12/amid-...-to-13k-in-us/

​​​​​​Oh man, very tempting! They are probably making it easier to qualify for the tax credits
Old 01-12-23, 09:39 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Porsche has an upscale demographic that demands and is willing to pay for all those million options. Tesla has simplified the process by not offering to much. Tesla's philosophy seems to be very popular, so I don't think there is any compelling reason for them to change
Relative exclusivity is a part of the Porsche business model. Tesla is trying to be a volume brand. Both ways can be successful.
Old 01-12-23, 09:50 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Edit, keeping ideas to myself, plz ignore.

Last edited by Margate330; 01-12-23 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-13-23, 04:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Whoa. Will miracles never cease.
nothing new on this end, you just see what you want to see. i've been pro ev's from day 1 while acknowledging what i consider issues or bad behavior by tesla such as calling a feature 'full self driving' when it isn't.

Originally Posted by GFerg
wow huge price drops...

and just yesterday i posted...

and i think they have a secret weapon they've not unleashed (because they haven't had to) - price. they're making good margins to fund the growth/scaling, but if necessary, i bet they could undercut their competition.
i just went to look at mach-e inventory at my local ford dealer... they have 12!

price range: 53,290 to 78,235

(no adm)

window stickers low and high:

Old 01-13-23, 04:37 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

Ford dealers often have autopopulated website inventory data feeds which update once vehicles leave the factory. Customer ordered cars will show up as available inventory even though they are already spoken for. Both my bronco and my Lightning showed up on my dealers website as available inventory when they shipped, if you’d inquired about them my dealer would have confirmed they weren’t really available. In other words, those 12 cars probably aren’t really available inventory. The two posted Mach E window stickers are green so that denotes a customer-ordered car. Dealer stock orders have blue window stickers.
Old 01-13-23, 05:09 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

wow huge price drops...

and just yesterday i posted...
Yep, I agree. I'm sure the others will follow, IF they even have the margins to do so. Tesla is so lean, they probably still have a good amount of profit built in with the price drop ( though the stock gapped down pre-market which I expected to happen).

Hyundai corp really screwed currently. Lol. Similar or more expensive and no credits. Lol. ADM's better fly off these cars!

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion