EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-23, 11:04 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

This discount news has changed everything. My IS350 lease is ending in May and I am at a crossroads. I am not a big fan of the model 3, or any Tesla for that matter. But leasing one would be less than a new IS350, and I would no longer be paying for gas, which is a huge expense with my 50 mile/day commute. I am FORCED to consider this. I am a life-long car nut and the idea of moving into something I am not that excited over leaves me anxious and somewhat depressed. I can only wonder and hope, once Tesla ownership takes place, hidden discoveries come about to make up for the lack of enthusiasm (?). Like are they that amazing to drive? The silent acceleration that good? Does the novelty wear off? I have not checked any Tesla club sites to ask these questions or research, and I am not even excited to do so. My biggest mental block right now is 40% of my neighbors already have a Model 3 and it doesn't not feel exciting, interesting, or original to join the masses. I have always prided myself in having a car that isn't seen all over.

My house already has solar and a Model 3 would be $250-350 less per month than a new IS. Money and finances are very important. *discuss*
Old 01-14-23, 05:47 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
How do you qualify for the $7,500 and does it apply to Model Y Performance.
Nope, not the Model Y Performance. The $57k price is above the $55k limit for 5 seater and it does not have 7 seat option....
Old 01-14-23, 05:59 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

I suspect the EAP and FSD prices might be dropping next. I bet there are a lot of folks that didn't purchase them initially that would be willing to purchase now at a discounted price.
Old 01-14-23, 07:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
This discount news has changed everything. My IS350 lease is ending in May and I am at a crossroads. I am not a big fan of the model 3, or any Tesla for that matter. But leasing one would be less than a new IS350, and I would no longer be paying for gas, which is a huge expense with my 50 mile/day commute. I am FORCED to consider this. I am a life-long car nut and the idea of moving into something I am not that excited over leaves me anxious and somewhat depressed. I can only wonder and hope, once Tesla ownership takes place, hidden discoveries come about to make up for the lack of enthusiasm (?). Like are they that amazing to drive? The silent acceleration that good? Does the novelty wear off? I have not checked any Tesla club sites to ask these questions or research, and I am not even excited to do so. My biggest mental block right now is 40% of my neighbors already have a Model 3 and it doesn't not feel exciting, interesting, or original to join the masses. I have always prided myself in having a car that isn't seen all over.

My house already has solar and a Model 3 would be $250-350 less per month than a new IS. Money and finances are very important. *discuss*
well, sounds like a no brainer to get an EV of some sort. and think of a model 3 like a fast camry. it's very appliance like, and after the quirks of the single screen wear off, it's just easy, and FAST. i really don't like the model 3/Y interior, but they're STILL appealing to me because of everything else. and a price cut definitely helps!

this is tesla's move to try to scorch hyundai/kia/ford/gm/vw/etc.

and like you say, it's not just the cost of buying the vehicle, it's the running costs so having a long commute like you do, and solar already, it's a total no brainer.
Old 01-14-23, 07:36 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

I wouldn't buy a model3 right now because this refresh they call the "Highland" is supposed to come out 3Q2023. Some are saying they will increase the M3 price for the refresh, that's the risk you take waiting. But maybe the prices stay the same and the Tesla profit margin is increased through production cost reductions.

This would be a second car for me, and I really don't need a sedan, and the Y is too big/expensive for a second car. So I am going to sit it out for 1+ year to see if a Model2 CUV emerges.
Old 01-14-23, 07:51 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
I suspect the EAP and FSD prices might be dropping next. I bet there are a lot of folks that didn't purchase them initially that would be willing to purchase now at a discounted price.
Don't they have a monthly plan for FSD? I thought that was an available option for those who didn't want to drop 20k or whatever ridiculous price it currently is?
Old 01-14-23, 08:41 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
well, sounds like a no brainer to get an EV of some sort. and think of a model 3 like a fast camry. it's very appliance like, and after the quirks of the single screen wear off, it's just easy, and FAST. i really don't like the model 3/Y interior, but they're STILL appealing to me because of everything else. and a price cut definitely helps!

and like you say, it's not just the cost of buying the vehicle, it's the running costs so having a long commute like you do, and solar already, it's a total no brainer.
I agree, no brainer for me if I was looking right now. It is a great appliance car for daily use even though it's not the best looking appliance out there.

One thing I found interesting is that I was in a training at my firm and we had a guy that is an environmental scientist and has a Phd speak to us and he asked if any of us had an electric car and he kind of laughed about it being green. He said that its carbon footprint to produce the EV is 34% higher than an ICE car and it takes 10 years to equal the footprint of an ICE car even though many say it's only a couple years. I found that very interesting.
Old 01-14-23, 08:45 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If finances are important to you I would definitely go the EV route. For a lot of people, savings for the daily commute is where an EV would shine. I'm guessing your 50 mile commute is mostly highway, and speed wise you aren't really going to be losing anything from the IS which is a very dated platform in itself. If you were spending a lot of time canyon carving or something where you were enjoying your IS maybe I would consider an EV and a cheap sports car to accompany it since your in CA and can take advantage of the roads. But as someone who is middle america with straight roads, a sporty car is a waste on a long daily commute. Would much rather enjoy the smoothness and cost savings of an EV.
Old 01-14-23, 10:25 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

I agree that the Model 3 is an appliance, but it's worlds above a Camry. My brother in law is not an enthusiast and buys cars based on a specific need... to get from A to B reliably and comfortably. He's owned everything from Camry, Accord to his current Avalon hybrid his wife drives. I've never seen him in my 25 years of knowing him rave about a car, especially 3 months into ownership. It's more than an appliance, to me at least
Old 01-14-23, 10:32 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

I don’t think many Model 3 owners view their car as an appliance.
Old 01-14-23, 10:41 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

The side effects of the price cuts has started 😃
Old 01-14-23, 10:55 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
I don’t think many Model 3 owners view their car as an appliance.
And my brother in law is definitely one of those. He tells me it's the best car he's ever owned, and he's owned several Toyotas, Hondas, and a Subaru
Old 01-14-23, 11:07 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I agree, no brainer for me if I was looking right now. It is a great appliance car for daily use even though it's not the best looking appliance out there.

One thing I found interesting is that I was in a training at my firm and we had a guy that is an environmental scientist and has a Phd speak to us and he asked if any of us had an electric car and he kind of laughed about it being green. He said that its carbon footprint to produce the EV is 34% higher than an ICE car and it takes 10 years to equal the footprint of an ICE car even though many say it's only a couple years. I found that very interesting.
I think most people understand or starting to understand that it's not about saving the environment but rather saving money by not using gas now.
Old 01-14-23, 11:08 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Don't they have a monthly plan for FSD? I thought that was an available option for those who didn't want to drop 20k or whatever ridiculous price it currently is?
Yes, monthly FSD is $200/month. which is a much better deal than buying it from the start, however, Tesla can raise prices at any time. With a break even time of 6 years, im not willing to bet Im going to keep a car for that long. Plus, you can just buy it on the months you have road trips planned, etc.
Old 01-14-23, 11:25 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SC300Es
I think most people understand or starting to understand that it's not about saving the environment but rather saving money by not using gas now.
I do care about the environment, but I have no illusion thinking that EV'S are the savior. For me it's about better technology, less maintenance, and most of all, better driving dynamics

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion