EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-23, 04:10 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
It is a "new" demo unit with less than 50 miles on the odometer. These are literally showroom vehicles that they can (and usually do) discount on. They were hesitant to give it to us at this price as they said we were double dipping, so it was escalated to their VP of sales in Cali for the ok.
I've seen them do this on the base model S, but I haven't seen it for the Plaid. You got a great deal. Seems like they are more motivated to move cars now. Might mean at least some of what that used car manager told you was true.
Old 01-14-23, 04:18 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
This discount news has changed everything. My IS350 lease is ending in May and I am at a crossroads. I am not a big fan of the model 3, or any Tesla for that matter. But leasing one would be less than a new IS350, and I would no longer be paying for gas, which is a huge expense with my 50 mile/day commute. I am FORCED to consider this. I am a life-long car nut and the idea of moving into something I am not that excited over leaves me anxious and somewhat depressed. I can only wonder and hope, once Tesla ownership takes place, hidden discoveries come about to make up for the lack of enthusiasm (?). Like are they that amazing to drive? The silent acceleration that good? Does the novelty wear off? I have not checked any Tesla club sites to ask these questions or research, and I am not even excited to do so. My biggest mental block right now is 40% of my neighbors already have a Model 3 and it doesn't not feel exciting, interesting, or original to join the masses. I have always prided myself in having a car that isn't seen all over.

My house already has solar and a Model 3 would be $250-350 less per month than a new IS. Money and finances are very important. *discuss*
Go test drive one!
Old 01-14-23, 04:32 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

They're definitely motivated right now. Our SA kept on texting me like crazy at the end of the year and finally called me about the 7500 off and this demo he had saved for me (I've been talking to him on and off for better part of 6months).

It is not uncommon to for their to be demos but they usually are higher mileage and/or had prior repairs. However, Tesla is now starting to sell all inventory regardless to get those #s up.

Originally Posted by Bob04
I've seen them do this on the base model S, but I haven't seen it for the Plaid. You got a great deal. Seems like they are more motivated to move cars now. Might mean at least some of what that used car manager told you was true.
Old 01-14-23, 04:58 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Better how?!
From tech standpoint- then yes
Build quality, interior ambiance, fit/finish, dealer service etc - then No
In every way. I've owned 3 fully loaded Camrys (two of them V6 Camrys), have driven dozens of them over the years, and will take a model 3 over any fully loaded Camry any day of the week

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 01-14-23 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-14-23, 07:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
In every way. I've owned 3 fully loaded Camrys (two of them V6 Camrys), have driven dozens of them over the years, and will take a model 3 over any fully loaded Camry any day of the week
that's because you've already had/have 2 EV's so you're already on board and you're an enthusiast, and a techie.

for TONS of other consumers, especially older ones, they'll take one look at the interior of a model 3 and say 'no'. granted, a test drive might convince them (smooth, fast, quiet), then they might also say "it doesn't have apple carplay or android auto? then no". do model 3's have lumber controls again now? i know for a while they stopped putting them in. then some will look at the fit/finish and say no.

but obviously from where you're coming from, it's basically a no brainer. but they're not for everyone.

but as i've said, the model 3 to me, is an attractive (outside) capable, reliable, fast, and quiet, tech forward vehicle, with the "shiny new thing" factor. that appeals to many, including non-enthusiasts.

for me personally, i like a more plush interior, nicer materials, and yes, some physical controls, and definitely yes, either gauges behind the steering wheel, or an excellent HUD (neither of which the 3/y have). so i'm not on board any time soon.
Old 01-14-23, 08:48 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

i personally think Tesla interiors are a safety issue.
When I drove Model Y - I constantly had to look over to the screen to see speedometer, music channels etc.

Today im sitting at a red light and in lane next to me Model Y hits another Model Y! How does this even happen- I thought that these Teslas had sensors to brake if there was objects in front. The dude was either looking at Nav screen or fell asleep. Too many distractions. Cars should be designed with a focus on driving, not having gauges/screen in front of driver is reckless.
Old 01-14-23, 10:49 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's because you've already had/have 2 EV's so you're already on board and you're an enthusiast, and a techie.

for TONS of other consumers, especially older ones, they'll take one look at the interior of a model 3 and say 'no'. granted, a test drive might convince them (smooth, fast, quiet), then they might also say "it doesn't have apple carplay or android auto? then no". do model 3's have lumber controls again now? i know for a while they stopped putting them in. then some will look at the fit/finish and say no.

but obviously from where you're coming from, it's basically a no brainer. but they're not for everyone.

but as i've said, the model 3 to me, is an attractive (outside) capable, reliable, fast, and quiet, tech forward vehicle, with the "shiny new thing" factor. that appeals to many, including non-enthusiasts.

for me personally, i like a more plush interior, nicer materials, and yes, some physical controls, and definitely yes, either gauges behind the steering wheel, or an excellent HUD (neither of which the 3/y have). so i'm not on board any time soon.
I totally get that. I used to think the same way about physical controls, but now don't mind that they are going away. As far as plush seats and interior, well at this point if you are looking for Mercedes/BMW/Lexus luxury, than Tesla will definitely not be for that person. Hopefully the competition will fill that need soon
Old 01-14-23, 10:54 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
i personally think Tesla interiors are a safety issue.
When I drove Model Y - I constantly had to look over to the screen to see speedometer, music channels etc.

Today im sitting at a red light and in lane next to me Model Y hits another Model Y! How does this even happen- I thought that these Teslas had sensors to brake if there was objects in front. The dude was either looking at Nav screen or fell asleep. Too many distractions. Cars should be designed with a focus on driving, not having gauges/screen in front of driver is reckless.
​​​​​​ My brother in law and I went to go see a movie this evening and I had no issues with using the screen as a speedometer. Tesla's will definitely 100 percent brake if there is an object in front or back, I experienced it this evening. It can be over ridden. No amount of technology can protect against stupidity, unfortunately
Old 01-15-23, 08:08 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

A basic HUD would go a long way to enhance the Tesla cockpit. If they offered it as a paid option, I bet a lot of people would take it.
Old 01-15-23, 08:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
A basic HUD would go a long way to enhance the Tesla cockpit. If they offered it as a paid option, I bet a lot of people would take it.
100% agreed!
Old 01-15-23, 08:33 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

Agreed on the HUD. We have HUD on a few of our vehicles and we love it. Must have option for us, and something that’s almost an inexplicable omission on a Tesla.
Old 01-15-23, 10:29 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
I love our Model 3. But with the HUD on the RX and the side outside mirror blind spot lights, Tesla is sorely lacking.
In this respect, they need to up their game. Not for lux, but for safety. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-15-23, 11:19 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I would love to see the option being available to add a HUD, but for now at least Tesla is focused on costs and being able to get as many vehicles out and into customer hands. At this point in time additional options are limited... single or dual motors, 19" or 21" tires, white, grey, red or black, and do you want a charger or not. Software wise every Model 3 and Y has the same software, you can get features enabled like FSD or auto pilot. Polestar actually has more features for the P2 with an option for Napa leather, Ohlin suspension etc but the cost brings it south of 60k and a longer delivery time. Probably some of my fellow Polestar owners reading this would disagree, but in hindsight, I would get the Model 3 performance over the Polestar 2 with the performance package, even if I had to pay more for the Tesla. Polestar is an awesome product, I love my Polestar which looks better (IMHO) than an M3, has a cabin layout familiar to non EV drivers, offers more creature comforts etc, but the model 3 is still way ahead of it. Anyway, those are my thoughts
Old 01-15-23, 11:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430

- lots of his potentially customers for teslas were very turned off by Elon since his takeover and "implosion" at twitter. In essence, at least here in silicon valley, he was ****ting in the same people who were his core customers.. they have started looking elsewhere, especially with more EVs coming to the market
Very strange world we live in for this to happen. It the long term, the take over for Twitter will benefit Tesla and every other car manufacturer out there.
Old 01-15-23, 11:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Polestar is an awesome product, I love my Polestar which looks better (IMHO) than an M3, has a cabin layout familiar to non EV drivers, offers more creature comforts etc, but the model 3 is still way ahead of it. Anyway, those are my thoughts
besides being faster and being on a dedicated ev platform, how is the model 3 'way ahead' of the polestar 2?

oh and no disrespect, but i think the model 3 looks better (outside) than the polestar 2.

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion