EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-23, 12:48 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
besides being faster and being on a dedicated ev platform, how is the model 3 'way ahead' of the polestar 2?

oh and no disrespect, but i think the model 3 looks better (outside) than the polestar 2.
Oh man, that's a fight started in the Polestar forum LOL . Insults thrown everywhere! Anyway, the Model 3 is more efficient, getting about 10 to 20 more miles per 33.7 kWh charge. Software...way ahead of Polestar in every way. The infotainment system is way better, way more stable like an iPhone compared to an Android (disclosure: I'm an Android user). Drivetrain, I don't know how you get EV motors any smoother, but Model 3 is way smoother, although the recent performance upgrade for my Polestar made a lot of difference. Room, the Model 3 really utilized it's design to make lots of room, especially the Frunk and Trunk. I can store way more luggage in my brother in laws Model 3. Road feel, a lot better in the Model 3 than my Polestar. And lastly, charging infrastructure, which speaks for itself

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 01-15-23 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-15-23, 01:11 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
congrats! What are you getting quoted for your delivery date?
I havent gotten an exact date, but they keep sending me text messages to complete the delivery details in the app. It says "Prepare for delivery" as the status

Originally Posted by Margate330
Nice RXSF!
Spoiler

I see you are going with the ugraded Long Range.
What you going to do with your X1, keeping or trade in?
Trying to get rid of the X1 as fast as possible. It was supposed to be a 3 year lease that I ended up purchasing at the end because I couldn't find a vehicle during COVID. Will likely sell it to carman next week
Old 01-15-23, 01:19 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I havent gotten an exact date, but they keep sending me text messages to complete the delivery details in the app. It says "Prepare for delivery" as the status

Trying to get rid of the X1 as fast as possible. It was supposed to be a 3 year lease that I ended up purchasing at the end because I couldn't find a vehicle during COVID. Will likely sell it to carman next week
I'd shop around, I got a better offer from Carvana than Carmax for our RX 350, it wasn't insignificant, 38k from Carmax vs 41k from Carvana.
Old 01-15-23, 01:30 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jwong77
I'd shop around, I got a better offer from Carvana than Carmax for our RX 350, it wasn't insignificant, 38k from Carmax vs 41k from Carvana.
I think Carvana is probably not going to be a good option, they are stuck with an inventory of cars they are having trouble selling. Just did a big layoff
Old 01-15-23, 02:44 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I think Carvana is probably not going to be a good option, they are stuck with an inventory of cars they are having trouble selling. Just did a big layoff
Yeah they're definitely not doing well, but somehow they decided to give me 3k more for the RX. I didn't question it, I just cashed their check and moved on. As long as the check didn't bounce I didn't care lol.
Old 01-15-23, 02:53 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
I was curious so I just got my offers from both. Carvana 16K, carmax 20K, Shift 20.8K...

Last edited by RXSF; 01-15-23 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-15-23, 02:57 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

Amir, reading your post above why didn't you just get an M3 with the dual motor?
Old 01-15-23, 03:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

I totally get that. I used to think the same way about physical controls, but now don't mind that they are going away. As far as plush seats and interior, well at this point if you are looking for Mercedes/BMW/Lexus luxury, than Tesla will definitely not be for that person. Hopefully the competition will fill that need soon
sometimes it reminds me of mid 2000s when iphone came out and some people said it's crazy without buttons, and that blackberry was the answer. anyone still remember blackberry?

Originally Posted by RXSF
I was curious so I just got my offers from both. Carvana 16K, carmax 20K, Shift 20.8K...
i think carvana is in a lot of trouble with the way of high spending / buying early last year. their offers are less than impressive these days. when i sold my model 3 carvana offer was the most ridiculous
Old 01-15-23, 03:16 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LH1
Amir, reading your post above why didn't you just get an M3 with the dual motor?
​​​​​​ Sure, the short version is I was looking for a Tesla alternative, and Polestar was getting good reviews. It was also $10k cheaper at the time. Plus Polestar gave 2 years free charging with Electrify America, which I didn't realize how far behind Tesla they were.

Anyway I'm totally happy with my Polestar. It's only given me one issue since owning it for a year, which Polestar fixed as quickly as they could
Old 01-15-23, 03:25 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
sometimes it reminds me of mid 2000s when iphone came out and some people said it's crazy without buttons, and that blackberry was the answer. anyone still remember blackberry?

i think carvana is in a lot of trouble with the way of high spending / buying early last year. their offers are less than impressive these days. when i sold my model 3 carvana offer was the most ridiculous
Remember all the built in keyboards being offered on Android phones (Samsung Galaxy, Droid etc)? I don't either. Buttons and switches are overrated. You save a ton of room, and if done properly like Tesla and Polestar do by putting controls in the infotainment screen, easily accessible even while driving. Again, just my opinion
Old 01-15-23, 04:37 PM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Remember all the built in keyboards being offered on Android phones (Samsung Galaxy, Droid etc)? I don't either. Buttons and switches are overrated. You save a ton of room, and if done properly like Tesla and Polestar do by putting controls in the infotainment screen, easily accessible even while driving. Again, just my opinion
Respectfully disagree. Physical keyboards on phones are a packaging issue due to size limitations. Ever wonder why desktops/laptops don't use touchscreens as its keyboard?

Buttons and especially dials are much superior to a touchscreen-only solution in cars, and that's not even close. The best infotainment and controls are BMW's iDrive (and Mazda's semi clone of it). Plenty of functions that can be selected quickly just by feel alone and a bit of familiarity. They still have touchscreens for functions that make sense. Wish Lexus had done something similar with their UX/UI redesign. I really miss the old iDrive on my BMW.
Old 01-15-23, 04:46 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kolokmee
Respectfully disagree. Physical keyboards on phones are a packaging issue due to size limitations. Ever wonder why desktops/laptops don't use touchscreens as its keyboard?

Buttons and especially dials are much superior to a touchscreen-only solution in cars, and that's not even close. The best infotainment and controls are BMW's iDrive (and Mazda's semi clone of it). Plenty of functions that can be selected quickly just by feel alone and a bit of familiarity. They still have touchscreens for functions that make sense. Wish Lexus had done something similar with their UX/UI redesign. I really miss the old iDrive on my BMW.
Noted . I felt exactly the same way until I bought my Polestar last year and spent some time in my brother in law's Model 3. Keep in mind I've owned a ton of Toyota/Lexus product over 30 years, including two right now (2013 Sienna and 2006 Camry SE), so I've been around buttons and ***** most of my adult life. Losing them was at first a big deal, but I realized not that much. A well developed infotainment system helps you adapt quickly. And I'm no spring chicken at 55 .

BTW to your first statement, buttons and ***** are superior to being in the infotainment screen, but as car companies try to trim cost and become more competitive, removing buttons and dials is an ongoing trend

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 01-15-23 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-15-23, 07:32 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Elon Musk Reveals Tesla's Savior

Tesla has become the world leader in electric vehicles. But 14 years ago, the automaker was desperate.

Tesla has become the world reference in the niche of electric vehicles.

The firm and its whimsical and visionary CEO Elon Musk have become symbols of the decline in CO2 emissions from the automotive sector.

The automaker currently produces more than 1.37 million electric vehicles a year, digging a huge pit with its competitors. It is profitable with margins that make its competitors pale with envy.

Its market capitalization reached $1 trillion in 2021 before collapsing to nearly $390 billion currently. No other automotive group comes close. Toyota, the world's largest automotive group in terms of production volumes, has a market value of $191 billion, while Volkswagen has a market value of around $83 billion. Ford and General Motors have a market capitalization of $51 billion and $52 billion, respectively.

GM and Chrysler Went Bankrupt

Tesla (TSLA) - Get Free Report has four vehicle production plants -- Fremont, Calif.; Austin, Texas; Shanghai and a fourth near Berlin. The company could announce in the coming weeks the names of locations of new vehicle assembly sites.

Tesla currently markets five models: the Model 3 entry-level sedan, the Model Y SUV/crossover, the Model S luxury sedan, the Model X luxury SUV/crossover, and the Tesla Semi. This year, a new model, the Cybertruck should be added to this list which continues to grow.

What many forget is that 14 years ago, Tesla would have simply disappeared. It was in 2009, in the midst of a financial crisis. The carmaker and its co-founder Musk had not yet produced a single one of the vehicles currently marketed by the company six years after the creation of Tesla.

The automaker had only produced the limited-edition Roadster sports car. The horizon was bleak for the whole of the American automobile. Detroit's Big Three were desperate. Chrysler and GM went bankrupt that year. Ford was the only one not to file for bankruptcy.

For the upstart that Tesla was then, there was no other way out than to lower the curtain because everything was against the company. The climate was not favorable to electric vehicles. Affected by the crisis, consumers thought of only one thing: to save while investors fled all risky assets.

But a savior arose: Daimler, the parent company of Mercedes-Benz. This is what Musk has just revealed during a thread on Twitter.

"I wonder what would have happened in 2009 if the Fed had raised rates instead of lowering them," the billionaire wrote on Twitter on Jan. 13. "The higher the rates, the harder the fall."

Daimler 'Saved Tesla'

"Lucky Tesla found an investor back then," commented a Twitter user.

"True, the Daimler investment in 2009 is actually what saved Tesla," Musk responded.

On May 18, 2009, Tesla and Daimler (DMLRY) announced a strategic partnership, including the acquisition of a stake in the American firm by the German automaker.

The parent company of Mercedes-Benz acquired nearly 10 percent of Tesla, and the two automakers agreed to cooperate in battery systems, electric drive systems and in individual vehicle projects, according to a press release.

"Our strategic partnership is an important step to accelerate the commercialization of electric drives globally," Dr. Thomas Weber, member of the Board of Daimler AG, responsible for Group Research and Mercedes-Benz Cars Development, said at the time.

"It is an honor and a powerful endorsement of our technology that Daimler would choose to invest in and partner with Tesla," Musk asserted. "We are looking forward to a strategic cooperation in a number of areas including leveraging Daimler’s engineering, production and supply chain expertise. This will accelerate bringing our Tesla Model S to production and ensure that it is a superlative vehicle on all levels."

This alliance validated Musk's vision and Tesla's strategy. Daimler recognized that the future of the automobile was in electric vehicles and the key to success lay in getting to market quickly. Since Tesla was already competent, joining forces with Musk's group would drastically reduce the research and development time needed before the first 100% electric cars from Daimler go into production.

Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed, but numerous articles reported $50 million. Daimler sold its Tesla's stake in 2014 with a huge gain.

"Ironically, the company that made the first commercially viable internal combustion engine car saved the company that made the first commercially viable electric car!" Musk concluded on January 13.

https://www.thestreet.com/electric-v...-teslas-savior
Old 01-15-23, 07:48 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Recognizing 20/20 hindsight, how did none of these companies have the vision to see the value in Tesla? Tim Cook refused (or maybe ignored requests) to meet with Elon to discuss a possible partnership or even Apple buying Tesla out.
Old 01-15-23, 07:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Recognizing 20/20 hindsight, how did none of these companies have the vision to see the value in Tesla? Tim Cook refused (or maybe ignored requests) to meet with Elon to discuss a possible partnership or even Apple buying Tesla out.
because in 2009 making an investment in tesla was EXTREMELY risky. as you say, 20/20. but good for daimler/mercedes! i wonder how long they held the stock (or if they still have any).

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion