EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-23, 12:31 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,755 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
I guess the buyers felt they were buying a brand like Porsche or Ferrari - where the price increases of new models plus production caps, lift the resale value of their used cars to crazy levels.
Actually a lot of people thought they could buy and flip it and make a ton of cash (including Carvana), which they were doing throughout 2022. No Tesla buyer has the illusion that's it's like Porsche or Ferrari
Old 01-16-23, 12:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Will Tesla Wither Or Flourish? The Status Of The EV Revolution In The USA

Won't wither nor flourish.. Tesla is just another car company IMO... reality is now here.
Originally Posted by patgilm
Oh yeah and stop dropping prices LOL, my car’s value dropped $55,000 in one year. Talk about a depreciating asset!
Is this really true?

I was looking for your thread that you started when you first got your Plaid. I sat in your model Plaid last week at the shopping mall. I think the interior is really great. The minimalist style I kinda found really appealing. I like the steering wheel yoke as it opened up so much view. The cellular phone chargers were so convenient in the way they were laid out. I can see why Tesla S has converted so many buyers with this model. I liked the seats .

The idea that you can’t get this type of experience anywhere else is very appealing. I am very surprised the Model 3 does not have a speedometer display.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-16-23 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-16-23, 12:34 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Cars are depreciating assets, and that's why when I buy one, it's usually for the long term so I can milk every little bit it has to offer. I think most knew the used car market was a bubble that was going to burst sooner than later. Just enjoy your Plaid. Put the pedal to the floor, and everything will be right as rain
I don’t really care but when you ask how it affects my life it literally devalued my car $25k overnight so I should hate him more than others but it is what it is and I’m not going to worry about it because I like the car a lot. I was just hoping to get into another one at the 3 year mark to get one with the new tail lights and working memory seats and tilt steering wheel when I start to get antsy but I may just keep this one.
Old 01-16-23, 12:40 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I don’t really care but when you ask how it affects my life it literally devalued my car $25k overnight so I should hate him more than others but it is what it is and I’m not going to worry about it because I like the car a lot. I was just hoping to get into another one at the 3 year mark to get one with the new tail lights and working memory seats and tilt steering wheel when I start to get antsy but I may just keep this one.
Haha I know how you feel. $25K is a lot, but if you are planning to keep it long term (10 years or more) in the scheme of things it doesn't really matter. The reasons that the Polestar users hate Tesla has nothing to do with price drops, they only added fuel to elevate the discussion
Old 01-16-23, 01:00 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Won't wither nor flourish.. Tesla is just another car company IMO... reality is now here.

Is this really true?

I was looking for your thread that you started when you first got your Plaid. I sat in your model Plaid last week at the shopping mall. I think the interior is really great. The minimalist style I kinda found really appealing. I like the steering wheel yoke as it opened up so much view. The cellular phone chargers were so convenient in the way they were laid out. I can see why Tesla S has converted so many buyers with this model. I liked the seats .

The idea that you can’t get this type of experience anywhere else is very appealing. I am very surprised the Model 3 does not have a speedometer display.
Yes it is really true. As for the interior, it’s decent and put together ok but the real gem is how it drives. I never got it until I owned one. I don’t even care about not getting gas or saving a little on gas, it’s the way it drives that I like.
Old 01-16-23, 01:00 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

BTW @patgilm the price cut has also affected used Polestar 2's. I have a year and just under 12K miles and now my resale is like $25K. In December I probably could have sold and broke even, so I literally lost $30K value overnight. Thank you Elon!
Old 01-16-23, 01:11 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

BTW @patgilm the price cut has also affected used Polestar 2's. I have a year and just under 12K miles and now my resale is like $25K. In December I probably could have sold and broke even, so I literally lost $30K value overnight. Thank you Elon!
25k?! Oh man. How much are dealers selling them for?! If I go the EV route in the near future, perfect situation would be to spend 30k cash and be my daily for over a decade, maybe more since these EV's barely need any routine maintenance. I'd want a great FSD option though if ever go that route. Everything else for the most part is somewhat future proof. I don't like holding onto cars for long periods of time, but EV's and OTA updates make me consider otherwise.
Old 01-16-23, 01:16 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GFerg
25k?! Oh man. How much are dealers selling them for?! If I go the EV route in the near future, perfect situation would be to spend 30k cash and be my daily for over a decade, maybe more since these EV's barely need any routine maintenance. I'd want a great FSD option though if ever go that route. Everything else for the most part is somewhat future proof. I don't like holding onto cars for long periods of time, but EV's and OTA updates make me consider otherwise.
Dealerships are selling them still pretty high:

Maybe they didn't get the memo
Old 01-16-23, 01:25 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Lol, they will always figure out a way to screw ppl over. No more ADM's, so now the used car is heavily devalued and they will resell that car for just under brand new prices, still making a boatload off the casual buyer. Sheesh.
Old 01-17-23, 10:09 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I think we already knew this was coming

Tesla (TSLA) is seeing ‘unprecedented demand,’ stores hitting new records

Tesla (TSLA) is currently experiencing “unprecedented demand” in the US following the significant price cuts that happened last week.

Many stores are hitting new records and inventories are dwindling.

Last week, Tesla implemented massive price cuts of up to $13,000 on Model 3 and Model Y vehicles in the US.

The automaker tried to claim that the price cuts were due to a “partial normalization of the cost inflation,” but most industry experts agree that Tesla needed the price cuts to create demand.

A week later, Electrek can confirm that the price cuts are working in doing just that.

Sources familiar with the matter told Electrek that many Tesla stores in North America had reached their new record for sales in a single week. One source familiar with Tesla’s sales said that the company is experiencing “unprecedented demand” in North America following the price cuts.

The inventory is decreasing at a record rate in several key US markets. As for new custom orders, Tesla will likely run out of build slots for the North American market in the next few days.

That usually doesn’t happen until much later in a quarter.

On top of the direct price cuts increasing sales, many Tesla models are now eligible to the new $7,500 federal tax credit for electric vehicles in the US. In some cases, this reduces the cost of some Tesla vehicles by as much as 30% compared to last year.

Electrek’s Take

As I stated last week, we knew that the price cuts would work, but we didn’t know to what degree; now it’s good to see that it is creating new record demand in several markets.

We are also now seeing some other automakers reducing prices significantly, like Xpeng today.

It looks like Tesla might have started an EV price war, and I think it is in a position to win it

https://electrek.co/2023/01/17/tesla...g-new-records/
Old 01-17-23, 11:09 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Tesla Quietly Starts Selling Cheaper Model Y With 279-Mile Range

You won't find this variant of Tesla's electric SUV on the configurator. At least not yet

Tesla's pulling a page from In-N-Out Burger's playbook and giving Model Y buyers the chance to order a cheaper variant off a proverbial secret menu. Though the automaker's website currently restricts Model Y orders to those of the $54,380 Long Range or $58,380 Performance variants, Tesla's list of online inventory shows that a number of its stores are stocked with salable base Model Y EVs that wear a starting price $2000 less than that of the Long Range model. (As of this writing, however, it seems most of these entry-level Ys in inventory include at least $2000 worth of optional 20-inch wheels and tires, thus effectively negating the base model's cost savings over its Long Range counterpart.)Unlike the prior entry-level rear-drive Model Y, which Tesla stopped producing in 2021, this new base-level Model Y comes standard with a dual-motor all-wheel-drive system. It also packs a greater EPA-rated range relative to its single-motor forebear.

With up to 279 miles of driving range on a full charge, the cheapest Model Y variant betters the old Standard Range model's range by 35 miles. That said, it falls short of the Model Y Long Range and Performance's figures by up to 51 and 24 miles, respectively.

Powering the electric motors of this latest addition to the Model Y line is Tesla's 4680 battery pack, which the company produces at its Texas plant. Though Tesla is mum on the pack's rated capacity and other details, given the lesser range of Model Y's equipped with this pack, it's safe to assume the useable capacity of these batteries falls short of the 75.0-kWh pack that powered a 2020 Model Y Long Range we previously tested, which was EPA-rated to travel up to 316 miles on a full charge. We managed just 220 miles of range while testing the Model Y on our 75-mph highway test.

Whether the range deficit of the base 2023 Model Y relative to its Long Range kin is worth its $2000 price reduction is a matter of personal preference. That said, the extra stacks in a base Model Y buyers' pocket can go toward added options for their new EV or a lower monthly payment or paying off those gambling debts.

Look, we're not here to judge. We're only here to let you know that Tesla offers its own version of an Animal Style burger for the Model Y

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...tandard-range/
Old 01-17-23, 11:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Yes it is really true. As for the interior, it’s decent and put together ok but the real gem is how it drives. I never got it until I owned one. I don’t even care about not getting gas or saving a little on gas, it’s the way it drives that I like.

Never driven a Tesla S. Will have to give it a try next time I’m at the mall. I also never knew it was a hatch or lift back.

Tesla (TSLA) is seeing ‘unprecedented demand,’ stores hitting new records

/
If true. Prices will just go up.
Old 01-17-23, 12:55 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Tesla is spotted assembling giant casting machine for Cybertruck production

Tesla has been spotted assembling its giant new casting machine for Cybertruck production at Gigafactory Texas.

Last year, Idra, the maker of Tesla’s large casting press, teased a new 9,000-ton Giga Press that would take the prize as largest in the world. Considering Tesla’s relationship with Idra, it was rumored that the new machine would be for the automaker.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has since confirmed that the machine is going to be used for the Cybertruck body at Gigafactory Texas.

Tesla’s investment in larger cast parts has been extremely successful so far. The automaker managed to produce the Model Y with a single rear body piece that replaced 70 different parts in the vehicle, and it is doing the same with the front underbody.

This greatly simplifies the manufacturing process and reduces costs.

Following the success of the integration of large casting technology, several other automakers are apparently looking to follow in Tesla’s footsteps.

Idra reported last year that half a dozen other automakers are currently in talks to adopt the technology, but it could take years before they can integrate it into any vehicle programs.

But as for Tesla, the automaker is already moving into a wider integration of the technology, including with the Cybertruck, which is going to have even larger single casting parts.

Over the last few months, Tesla has been spotted getting deliveries of parts of the massive press from Idra.

Now a new drone flyover of Gigafactory Texas that managed to peek inside the factory showed that Tesla is currently assembling the new 9-ton Giga Press:

The giant machine has been spotted partly assembled in a section of the factory where Tesla plans to build the Cybertruck’s body:

There are about 1.5 million people interested in the Tesla Cybertruck, and they have been starved of information for a while.

An update on the production version with final specs and pricing has been expected for the past year, but the automaker has decided to stay quiet about the electric truck, which already had some delays.

When Tesla unveiled the Cybertruck back in 2019, Tesla said that the electric pickup truck would make it to market by the end of 2021. As the deadline was approaching, the automaker confirmed that production slipped to 2022.

CEO Elon Musk later said that Tesla was targeting a start of production for the electric pickup truck in “late 2022” at Gigafactory Texas. With the focus clearly on bringing the Model Y to production at the factory (that being delayed as well), it appeared likely that the Cybertruck production timeline could also slip.

In March 2022, it was confirmed that Tesla aims to complete Cybertruck development this year for production in 2023, and in June, Musk said that Tesla is aiming for production to start in mid-2023.

In its communications, Tesla has stuck to a mid-2023 timeline over the last few months. Therefore, it’s important to see Tesla making progress on some of those critical new production tools like this Giga Press in order for the automaker to stick to its timeline.

https://electrek.co/2023/01/16/tesla...ck-production/
Old 01-17-23, 01:00 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 406 Likes on 271 Posts

The model Y SR is being sold in the US? But its still dual motor. We need the single motor Y SR that the rest of the world gets, very cheap entry point for that. But I don't think they want to undercut sales of the more expensive LR Y.
Old 01-17-23, 01:06 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

For some reason I thought yours was a lease.

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion