EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-23, 09:17 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
But I need those dual motors . It's very hard to go backwards.
THIS! The torque from the dual motors really make the car.
Old 01-19-23, 09:31 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
THIS! The torque from the dual motors really make the car.
Give me those FREAKING Dual motors!!!!
Old 01-19-23, 09:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
I think the single motor Tesla's are the way to go if you are just looking for basic transportation from them.
Makes sense if you want basic transportation. the price of the single motor is still too high for a basic transportation type vehicle. Even fwd bZ4X by Toyota is way over priced.
Old 01-19-23, 09:57 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I test-drove the Model Y today @ the Long Island Tesla service center. It is the dual motor performance model based on the ride height and wheel. Power is OK but does not feel like 3.5s from 0-60. So it is either not the performance or Tesla limited the power output. They also limited it up to 85 MPH for the test drive.

Well, the result is: I'm not impressed with the performance or the driving experience. No engine noise, but a lot of wind noise once it hit 40+. The suspension is stiff even in chill mode. It will be a massive downgrade from the LX; thus, a no-no for me. It can be an efficient replacement for my wife's old RX, but absolutely not a replacement for the LX.
Old 01-19-23, 10:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
but absolutely not a replacement for the LX.
Not surprised. Very hard to replicate a body on frame experience of the Lexus LX. They have a very loyal following.
Old 01-19-23, 10:39 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
I test-drove the Model Y today @ the Long Island Tesla service center. It is the dual motor performance model based on the ride height and wheel. Power is OK but does not feel like 3.5s from 0-60. So it is either not the performance or Tesla limited the power output. They also limited it up to 85 MPH for the test drive.

Well, the result is: I'm not impressed with the performance or the driving experience. No engine noise, but a lot of wind noise once it hit 40+. The suspension is stiff even in chill mode. It will be a massive downgrade from the LX; thus, a no-no for me. It can be an efficient replacement for my wife's old RX, but absolutely not a replacement for the LX.
MYP is based on the ride height and wheels?? Where did you hear that?

All model types (within each model type), the ride height isn't different between non-P and P models. The MYP has red calipers and the script at the back designating the model type (Dual Motor) is underlined with a red line.

Are you certain you got a Model Y Performance? There's no way that someone is not impressed by a 3.5 second, 0 to 60 time. I'm willing to bet it was not a Performance model
Old 01-19-23, 10:44 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

I think the performance model has a slightly lower stance, 0.5". Could be wrong.
Originally Posted by Hameed
There's no way that someone is not impressed by a 3.5 second, 0 to 60 time. I'm willing to bet it was not a Performance model
That's what I was thinking the LX takes over 7 seconds 0 to 60. Also completely different price class a better comparison would be the Model X.
Old 01-19-23, 10:50 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

All model types (within each model type), the ride height isn't different between non-P and P models. The MYP has red calipers and the script at the back designating the model type (Dual Motor) is underlined with a red line.

Are you certain you got a Model Y Performance? There's no way that someone is not impressed by a 3.5 second, 0 to 60 time. I'm willing to bet it was not a Performance model
That was my question, but I figured I would just stay quiet . When I drove my friends Model 3P, I was like Oh s h i t! Even when I drove my brother in laws base RWD, I was impressed, and I have a Polestar with dual motors, 476 hp! If someone is not impressed with 0 to 60 in 3.5 seconds, I don't know what to say. To each their own, I guess
Old 01-19-23, 11:54 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I think the performance model has a slightly lower stance, 0.5". Could be wrong.

That's what I was thinking the LX takes over 7 seconds 0 to 60. Also completely different price class a better comparison would be the Model X.
You're right, my mistake. The MYP is slightly lower.

I still can say without any doubt though that there is no way someone feels that an MYP is not fast.
Old 01-19-23, 12:31 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I meant to say the one I drove today does not do 0-60 in 3.5s. However, it does sit lower than the other one in the lot. The MYP sit 18mm lower than the normal one. That's why I'm confused and think they might have restricted the power output as they did with the 85 MPH limit. The rep who showed me the car didn't really clarify it either.
Old 01-19-23, 12:33 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
model 7?
Model Y...cant even blame that on autocorrect lol
Old 01-19-23, 12:36 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
Model Y...cant even blame that on autocorrect lol
Nope, that mistake is unforgivable
Old 01-19-23, 12:38 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Car could have been in chill mode.
Old 01-19-23, 12:48 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I ordered my Y on 1/14 and finally got an estimated delivery date (but no VIN) yesterday for delivery Jan 25- Feb 7.
Old 01-19-23, 12:55 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Modesto’s Frito-Lay plant on Wednesday showed off its all-electric Tesla semis, the first used anywhere in commercial distribution. The $30.8 million, multi-pronged environmental project at the Modesto snack foods plant was first unveiled more than three years ago, when a prototype of the electric vehicle company’s semi was brought on site. The semis rolled into Modesto last month. On Wednesday, six of them — many branded with the yellow-orange Frito-Lay colors — sat at the plant along with the company’s other zero or near-zero emission vehicles.

“We’re just getting started. This project in Modesto doesn’t exist in a vacuum,” said Steven Williams, CEO of PepsiCo Foods North America, which is Frito-Lay’s parent company. “It’s part of a much larger ambition for PepsiCo to use fewer precious resources and help build a stronger sustainable future for everyone.” The semis are part of an overall order of 15. In early December, Tesla CEO Elon Musk held a flashy private event at the company’s Gigafactory in Sparks, Nev., to celebrate the delivery of the first semi to the Modesto plant. Williams and fellow PepsiCo executive Kirk Tanner were at the event, which featured lasers, smoke and a lot of high-fives. The electric semis have been on the road since, used for distribution of Frito-Lay products. The plant’s sustainability project also includes the purchase of 38 Volvo natural gas-powered semis, six electric Peterbilt box trucks, 12 electric forklifts and three electric yard tractors. The site also installed additional solar panels and on-site charging and battery storage stations.

Williams said the plant’s use of the electric and compressed natural gas already has resulted in a 91% reduction of greenhouse gases from its fleet. That is equivalent to taking about 1,000 standard SUVs off the road, he said. The plant’s sustainability goals go beyond its fleet, including using renewable energy sources for all of its electricity. The on-site rooftop and parking lot solar panels provide 20% of the facility’s daily energy use. Williams said the Modesto plant is now a blueprint for the company, and hopefully others, on how to leverage and use sustainable technology. The sustainable transformation comes with a healthy dose of public funding. The project received $15.4 million from the California Air Resources Board (CARB), which Frito-Lay matched with $13.5 million, plus another $1.8 million from American Natural Gas. CARB Executive Officer Steven Cliff said Modesto’s plant was targeted in part because of the poor air quality in the region. Modesto is sixth worst in the nation for particulate matter and 13th worst for ozone.

“Bold and transformative projects like this have the ability to lessen the socioeconomic burdens in the community by reducing asthma rates and hospital visits, but it’s really just the beginning,” Cliff said. “The importance of what you have achieved through this program is larger than this facility alone.” The project, announced in late 2019, initially was planned to be completed by 2021. But the pandemic, supply issues and a slower roll-out for the semis than originally planned by Tesla pushed it back. Newly elected Rep. John Duarte was among the dignitaries at the Modesto ceremony. “I love it; this is the kind of company we need here in Modesto,” he said. “Modesto is Food City USA. This should be the place the latest in logistics, food production, scaleability, sustainability comes to because we’ve got the irrigation districts, we’ve got the energy, the water and the best people. So I’m damn glad they’re doing it.”

https://www.modbee.com/news/business...271282657.html

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion