EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-23, 01:05 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
I test-drove the Model Y today @ the Long Island Tesla service center. It is the dual motor performance model based on the ride height and wheel. Power is OK but does not feel like 3.5s from 0-60. So it is either not the performance or Tesla limited the power output. They also limited it up to 85 MPH for the test drive.

Well, the result is: I'm not impressed with the performance or the driving experience. No engine noise, but a lot of wind noise once it hit 40+. The suspension is stiff even in chill mode. It will be a massive downgrade from the LX; thus, a no-no for me. It can be an efficient replacement for my wife's old RX, but absolutely not a replacement for the LX.
The roads are all wet on Long Island today, are you sure the traction control wasn't kicking in?
Old 01-19-23, 01:36 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

I test-drove the Model Y today @ the Long Island Tesla service center. It is the dual motor performance model based on the ride height and wheel. Power is OK but does not feel like 3.5s from 0-60. So it is either not the performance or Tesla limited the power output. They also limited it up to 85 MPH for the test drive.

Well, the result is: I'm not impressed with the performance or the driving experience. No engine noise, but a lot of wind noise once it hit 40+. The suspension is stiff even in chill mode. It will be a massive downgrade from the LX; thus, a no-no for me. It can be an efficient replacement for my wife's old RX, but absolutely not a replacement for the LX.
I own an LX570 and a Model Y Performance (2021, just bought 4 weeks ago). The Y Performance is neck-snapping fast. Something feels off if you didn't experience that.

And I'm not being snarky here, but I'm not understanding why you'd go into a Model Y thinking it would be similar to the LX acting as a replacement? They couldn't possibly be further apart on the spectrum.
Old 01-19-23, 01:44 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786

[snip]

Have to admit I thought the Tesla Semi would never happen, at least not before every other thing Tesla was working on becomes reality. Seems like I am alone in this, I HATE diesel the fumes cause cancer and all kinds of health problems. There is no such thing as clean diesel.

The more of these polluters we get of the road the better can't happen soon enough.
Old 01-19-23, 01:49 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
The roads are all wet on Long Island today, are you sure the traction control wasn't kicking in?
It was nice and dry 8am this morning in Syosset. No rain.

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I own an LX570 and a Model Y Performance (2021, just bought 4 weeks ago). The Y Performance is neck-snapping fast. Something feels off if you didn't experience that.

And I'm not being snarky here, but I'm not understanding why you'd go into a Model Y thinking it would be similar to the LX acting as a replacement? They couldn't possibly be further apart on the spectrum.
I'm pretty sure 0-60MPH in 3.5s is fast as hell. No doubt about it. It's just that the one I test-drove this morning was likely not a MYP or was restricted.

In my case, wifey does not want to replace her RX yet. I don't need another car, and it is not wise financially to keep both the LX and Model Y. I will need to let go of the LX if I pull the trigger. After the test drive, I decided to keep the LX as it would serve the family and me better.
Old 01-19-23, 01:50 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Have to admit I thought the Tesla Semi would never happen, at least not before every other thing Tesla was working on becomes reality. Seems like I am alone in this, I HATE diesel the fumes cause cancer and all kinds of health problems. There is no such thing as clean diesel.

The more of these polluters we get of the road the better can't happen soon enough.
If I was a truck driver, I would rather drive an instant torque truck like the Semi. I once drove a diesel powered moving truck that was nowhere the size of an 18-wheeler, and it was painful, especially when hitting inclines. Plus I don't think there is anyone that would want to breath in diesel fumes, which is why the coal rollers push their fumes on everybody else but themselves
Old 01-19-23, 02:00 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
If I was a truck driver, I would rather drive an instant torque truck like the Semi. I once drove a diesel powered moving truck that was nowhere the size of an 18-wheeler, and it was painful, especially when hitting inclines. Plus I don't think there is anyone that would want to breath in diesel fumes, which is why the coal rollers push their fumes on everybody else but themselves
I've driven a logging truck, it is damn hard work it takes forever to get up to speed. The fumes at times were unbearable, for parts of the run I had to put the pedal to the floor makes the engine smoke like crazy. Cold day on first start engine spews out massive crud, it's unbelievable you can see the plume for miles.

Regenerative braking would be incredibly valuable hauling loads out of the sticks, the roads you are on are barely roads and steep. Brakes fail and you're finished.
Old 01-19-23, 02:55 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Model 2 News

Cheaper Model 2 release to precede Roadster 2 as Tesla shifts focus to mass EV adoption

The 'flying' but expensive Roadster 2 may have been put on the back burner as Tesla is now focused on winning back market share with 'mass electrification' instead. In the face of increased competition, Tesla may be planning to release its cheaper Model 2 first and then move to premium projects like the new Roadster.
Daniel Zlatev, Published 01/19/2023
E-MobilityInstead of a "flying" Roadster 2 (in the words of Tesla's design chief) whose preorders reopened last year, Tesla may release its mass market Model 2 first, again according to its design head Franz von Holzhausen. Pressed on the Roadster 2 launch, he admitted in an interview that the project may have gone to the back burner at Tesla as, apparently, "mass electrification" is now the automaker's main goal.
We’re developing the car. I think you know we have priorities as a company, and the priorities are mass electrification. And Roadster is not a mass product. So, unfortunately, you know it takes its kind of position, but we are working on it in earnest. And I think the time that we’ve taken had enabled us to really improve on basically every metric that we set out to establish when we first debuted that.
Such a target strategy can only be achieved with a mass market electric vehicle like the Model 2 which, according to Elon Musk, will be smaller than the Model 3, but cost twice less to manufacture. Tesla is exploring several avenues to reach the coveted US$25,000 Model 2 price point such as removing part redundancies and upgrading production facilities. In the previous 5-year period, it managed to more than halve its average production costs per vehicle from US$84,000 to the US$36,000 a Tesla costs to make now.

According to its head of investor relations Martin Viecha, in the current 5-year period that runs until 2027, the most important factor for cutting production costs yet again is increasing the share of newer and more efficient Gigafactories such as those in Texas, Shanghai, or Berlin, in the overall production mix. This has to happen while Tesla is upgrading its legacy production facilities and opening new ones, too.

The rumored Mexican Gigafactory, for instance, is reportedly going to serve as a hub for Tesla Model 2 production with up to US$10 billion investment when all of its expansions are finalized. The Gigafactory in Nuevo León is reportedly going to make parts for the Cybertruck and Model Y at first, given its proximity to Giga Texas.

However, "in future phases it would be a new model with a lower cost than the current ones," according to local officials privy to the plans who may ultimately be referring to the Model 2 production which Tesla's design chief informed has taken precedence before the Roadster 2 launch.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Cheape....682927.0.html
Old 01-19-23, 03:58 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The Model 3 is exceptionally bland to me as is, I can only imagine how basic the Model 2 will end up looking. That will be fine for the majority population of course.
Old 01-19-23, 04:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

I'm pretty sure 0-60MPH in 3.5s is fast as hell. No doubt about it. It's just that the one I test-drove this morning was likely not a MYP or was restricted.

In my case, wifey does not want to replace her RX yet. I don't need another car, and it is not wise financially to keep both the LX and Model Y. I will need to let go of the LX if I pull the trigger. After the test drive, I decided to keep the LX as it would serve the family and me better.
Tesla store will put it in chill mode which is.... Chill.

Even LR will feel very fast.
Old 01-19-23, 04:46 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Why is Tesla so secretive of their mass market car? This is exactly the opposite of every other model.
Old 01-19-23, 05:03 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

Could be tied in to the impact of the tax credit and how that might factor into hitting the target price points. Plus of course the general impact of supply chain cost increases offsetting some of the manufacturing cost saving optimizations.

To focus on price, Tesla could hit the target 25k price for most customers with a 32.5k MSRP assuming that many and likely most buyers would qualify for the credit. They could price the Model 2 at just under 37.5 k and still, for most buyers, drive to an effective cost to the customer of under 30k. Seems to me to be the smarter play here. Price it at over 30k and position it as effectively 25k for most customers most of the time. No one is going to feel bad for a buyer who doesn’t get the credit as they are above the income thresholds.
Old 01-20-23, 04:42 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

We've had our LX for 7 years. I like it, but I don't really enjoy driving it unless it's on a road trip. The reasons I like it are more about it being insanely reliable and the overall size of the vehicle for our family 90% of the time (the remaining 10% I hate, because I hate how little room I have in the back due to jump seats). Anyway, I just have never viewed it as a pleasurable vehicle to do anything other than a road trip in. The Tesla Y is the exact opposite. It's a blast to drive - but I prob wouldn't do more than a 3 hour road trip in it. I don't view one vehicle as a replacement for the other. Ditching your RX for the Y is more comparable size wise. But it'll never make sense as a straight up replacement for the LX. The Rivian R1S could act as that replacement.
Old 01-20-23, 05:00 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I ordered my Y on 1/14 and finally got an estimated delivery date (but no VIN) yesterday for delivery Jan 25- Feb 7.
Congrats! Color/options?
Old 01-20-23, 05:51 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

We've had our LX for 7 years. I like it, but I don't really enjoy driving it unless it's on a road trip. The reasons I like it are more about it being insanely reliable and the overall size of the vehicle for our family 90% of the time (the remaining 10% I hate, because I hate how little room I have in the back due to jump seats). Anyway, I just have never viewed it as a pleasurable vehicle to do anything other than a road trip in. The Tesla Y is the exact opposite. It's a blast to drive - but I prob wouldn't do more than a 3 hour road trip in it. I don't view one vehicle as a replacement for the other. Ditching your RX for the Y is more comparable size wise. But it'll never make sense as a straight up replacement for the LX. The Rivian R1S could act as that replacement.
100% agree. We will keep the LX and will get a Model Y or something similar when my wife ready to replace her RX. I have a SC430 as my weekend car to fill in that 10%.
Old 01-20-23, 07:46 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Vehicles like minivans and SUV'S, there is really no EV replacement right now. That's the reason I'm hanging on to my Sienna, for now. As far as trips, I've done a bunch of NorCal to SoCal trips in my Polestar, and it's much funner to drive. Reason I'm getting a Model 3 is way better charging infrastructure, so I don't have to make contingency plans, it's a no brainer for long trips

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion