EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-23, 09:48 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

Model2 is supposed to target the size of the Corolla, in a small sedan and CUV footprints. For many people, their EV is their second car, so a "basic transportation" type vehicle at a lower price point fits. I am not sure what Tesla is going to "decontent" from a Model2, since so many of the features are software based and really have zero cost of manufacturing. I guess the battery/range will see some decontenting, but it still has to be at least 250 miles of range, can't go below that. What else can they strip out of it to get the cost down?
Old 01-20-23, 12:29 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

So it appears the general consensus is - this new 4680 battery turned out to be a disappointment.

Old 01-20-23, 12:35 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
So it appears the general consensus is - this new 4680 battery turned out to be a disappointment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e5z_5TB-y0
The 4680 has definitely not turned out the way everyone hoped, but they are still first gen and will be improved over time. There is also an argument that Tesla is software limiting them. I don't know how valid that argument is. You'll only find these in some Austin built Model Y's
Old 01-21-23, 06:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

grabber... def chill mode.

https://getjerry.com/electric-vehicl...sla-chill-mode
Old 01-21-23, 06:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

about the semi, i didn't see anywhere there about how long it takes to recharge these beasts.
Old 01-21-23, 07:20 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
about the semi, i didn't see anywhere there about how long it takes to recharge these beasts.
30- 40 minutes to 70% using mega charger according to google search for “how long to charge tesla semi“
this is a pretty informative article on them
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradtem...h=4f0bf3ed2b5a

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-21-23 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-21-23, 08:53 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

yup, I think that was the reason. Need to schedule another test drive with them. I can confirm it was long range MYP after I saw the red brake caliper from the photo that my wife took.
Old 01-22-23, 11:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
30- 40 minutes to 70% using mega charger according to google search for “how long to charge tesla semi“
this is a pretty informative article on them
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradtem...h=4f0bf3ed2b5a
thanks for advising to use google search. that article is pretty useless (along with most anything on forbes) regurgitating tesla's own claim: "Tesla claims they can refill 70% of the battery in about 30 minutes"

wikipedia at least gives battery size and more info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Semi
900kwH

according to that there's 2 range versions of the semi, 300 and 500 (presumably different battery sizes?). it says the 'long range' (presumably the 500 mi one) will do 620mi when empty.
no idea which version the tesla 30 minute claim is referring to on recharging or where how many of the so called 'megachargers' are of will be.

sounds like many big fleets will have their own private megachargers to recharge them.

and ones that are 'public' likely won't be cheap to use. tesla claimed they would charge semis at 7c/kwH which seems off because the articles say public 50-350kw chargers are 30-50c/KwH today.

it's an interesting venture. my guess it will cost MORE to operate electric semis than diesel, but will be justified with obviously stopping polluting diesel fumes, and by no doubt adding taxes to diesel over time.
Old 01-22-23, 11:25 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

it's an interesting venture. my guess it will cost MORE to operate electric semis than diesel, but will be justified with obviously stopping polluting diesel fumes, and by no doubt adding taxes to diesel over time.
Might want to google that, cost savings are substantial.
Old 01-22-23, 11:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Going green will always be more expensive. EV trucks are harder to make lighter because of the mass of the battery. So everything has to be structurally stronger. Specialized repairs are harder to come by . And any downtime charging a battery is time not spent on the road. And every pound occupied by a battery is one less pound available for cargo. From a simple “charging” of the semi, it’s cheaper now. Of course, but that will change IMO. On the flip side, hydrogen semi engines already exists…they are the same as the current diesel motors but they have been modified.. these engines can be inputed into a current semi assembly. No new dedicated chassis need be designed. Semi trucks are most profitable when they are the road as close to 24hrs if possible. Both can definitely co-exist but batteries can’t solve the climate change emergency as a one stop solution.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-22-23 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-22-23, 12:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Might want to google that, cost savings are substantial.
rather than just a lazy "might want to google that",how about providing a link oh great oracle?

i did (already) read that maintenance costs are likely to be a lot lower on ev semi's offsetting potentially large charging costs.

and while actual charging costs for an entity buying their own chargers might save money, they still have the capital outlay for the chargers.
Old 01-22-23, 02:46 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

rather than just a lazy "might want to google that",how about providing a link oh great oracle?

i did (already) read that maintenance costs are likely to be a lot lower on ev semi's offsetting potentially large charging costs.

and while actual charging costs for an entity buying their own chargers might save money, they still have the capital outlay for the chargers.
Tesla public chargers, at least in California charge their customers based on peak and non peak rates. For example if you charge between the hours of 9PM and 4PM, you could be charged between .17 cents to .22 cents per kWh, but if you charged between 4PM and 9PM you could pay as much as .58 cents kWh. Will that pricing model carry on to Mega chargers for Semis? No idea. But the almost no maint costs will be huge savings. Tesla Semis will need their brakes changed less frequently, and other than tires, what other maint is there?

I know my brother in laws Model 3 is no Semi, but in 100K he's going to go through 3 sets of tires and one set of brakes and rotors. $3K on tires and just for arguments sake $1K on brakes/rotors. I'm only guessing but I think the Semi is going to save companies lots of money over every 100K they drive
Old 01-24-23, 11:55 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

In more Tesla news:

Tesla Can Slash its Prices Because its Cars Are So Cheap to Build

In 2022, Tesla averaged more than $15,000 of gross profit per vehicle — five times what Ford averages on every car or truck sold

There’s a reason why Tesla has been able to drastically cut its vehicle prices across the board without breaking a sweat. The automaker reportedly earns more money per vehicle than literally all of its rivals. Now, Reuters reports that Tesla is using that fact as another weapon in the EV price war.

The Austin, Texas-based company was at one point one of the automotive industry’s biggest money-losers, but during 2022 Tesla built quite a lead over everyone when it comes to profit per vehicle, according to the outlet.
Tesla reportedly earned, on average, $15,653 in gross profit per vehicle in the third quarter of 2022. That blows away other automakers like Volkswagen, Toyotaand Ford — Tesla averages five times the per-vehicle gross profit of Ford in particular.

As the semiconductor shortage and other supply-chain issues took hold of the automotive industry, automakers across the board decided to focus on higher-margin models to increase profits, despite sales volume falling. That’s why Tesla and most other automakers decided to fairly significantly raise prices on their vehicles. Add the fact that EV demand far outpaced overall vehicle demand in 2022, and you get some seriously high prices.

Reuters says that in order to keep production costs down, Tesla invested heavily in new manufacturing technology. One example of this is the use of large castings to replace small metal parts. The automaker has also made the decision to bring battery manufacturing and other aspects of the supply chain in-house. The company has also standardized vehicle designs to improve economies of scale, which is why every Tesla basically looks the same no matter the spec.

But now that Tesla is slashing prices, it’s putting newfound pressure on the mainstream automakers trying to compete in the EV market.

“Tesla has taken the nuclear option to bully the weaker, thin margin players off the table,” Bill Russo, a spokesperson for Shanghai-based industry consultancy Automobility, told Reuters. “Big pie, fewer slices, more to eat for those who remain.”

Market trends like these most likely will not last forever. According to Reuters, analysts are warning that the global EV market’s production capacity will soon outpace demand. It’s reported that by 2026, North American EV demand will hit about 2.8 million vehicles per year. However, North American EV factories will be capable of producing over 4.5 million vehicles in the same time frame.

https://jalopnik.com/this-influencer...ort-1850024270
Old 01-24-23, 11:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Tesla only sells high margin models. Very misleading. Now the margins are cut in 1/2. That is not good. If Toyota only sold 4Runner/GX/Prado as well as Land Cruiser/LX/70 series and Tacoma/Hilux, those models alone have higher profit margins than Tesla
Old 01-24-23, 12:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Market trends like these most likely will not last forever. According to Reuters, analysts are warning that the global EV market’s production capacity will soon outpace demand. It’s reported that by 2026, North American EV demand will hit about 2.8 million vehicles per year. However, North American EV factories will be capable of producing over 4.5 million vehicles in the same time frame.
that prediction should be VERY alarming to all auto makers.

if they all rush to expand production, it will become a race to the bottom in prices/profits with likely bankruptcies and further industry consolidation.

and if the chinese (BYD / Nio) ever decide to 'invade' the u.s. and aren't clobbered by tariffs, then there's going to be an almighty blood bath with ford/gm getting the worst of it.

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion