EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-23, 12:07 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Market trends like these most likely will not last forever. According to Reuters, analysts are warning that the global EV market’s production capacity will soon outpace demand. It’s reported that by 2026, North American EV demand will hit about 2.8 million vehicles per year. However, North American EV factories will be capable of producing over 4.5 million vehicles in the same time frame
What analysts are saying this?
Old 01-24-23, 12:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

if they all rush to expand production, it will become a race to the bottom in prices/profits with likely bankruptcies and further industry consolidation.
I think Toyota was smart to proceed with caution ⚠️
Old 01-24-23, 12:13 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
What analysts are saying this?
I don't know man, ask the articles authors
Old 01-24-23, 12:18 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

that prediction should be VERY alarming to all auto makers.

if they all rush to expand production, it will become a race to the bottom in prices/profits with likely bankruptcies and further industry consolidation.

and if the chinese (BYD / Nio) ever decide to 'invade' the u.s. and aren't clobbered by tariffs, then there's going to be an almighty blood bath with ford/gm getting the worst of it.
The government will just bail them out. If this article holds true, it's a Tesla financed blood bath
Old 01-24-23, 12:34 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I don't know man, ask the articles authors
I just found it odd they would throw shade in their own article.

In other news

Tesla reportedly planning $3.5B Nevada plant for electric semi-trucks

Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) is planning to build a $3.5B manufacturing facility in Northern Nevada for its all-electric semi-trucks, according to the Nevada Independent.
that prediction should be VERY alarming to all auto makers.

and if the chinese (BYD / Nio) ever decide to 'invade' the u.s. and aren't clobbered by tariffs, then there's going to be an almighty blood bath with ford/gm getting the worst of it.
GM says they will surpass Tesla in EV sales by 2025 you don't believe them?
Old 01-24-23, 12:42 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I just found it odd they would throw shade in their own article.

In other news

I was listening to the latest episode of Tesla Daily, and he was talking about a report where a dealership was saying that the Tesla cuts are affecting their sales, but GM was just saying "ah, it will be alright". Yep, that GM. The one that pretended that the Japanese automakers in the 80's and 90's were no threat to the Titanic
Old 01-24-23, 12:52 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think Toyota was smart to proceed with caution ⚠️
Totally agree ~!

Sounds very optimistic.
I have no idea what they got cooking up and ready to come out in product offerings tho.

Yep, that GM. The one that pretended that the Japanese automakers in the 80's and 90's were no threat to the Titanic
I remember that.
Hindsight is always 20/20. haha
Old 01-24-23, 12:54 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
Hindsight is always 20/20. haha
Except GM needs new glasses
Old 01-24-23, 01:08 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Except GM needs new glasses
Maybe so, but I'm talking out my keister cuz I really don't know. lol

You think Tesla is really trying to "bully" anyone(as in other mfg's) like said in the article posted above?
What's ya'll thoughts on that.
Old 01-24-23, 01:15 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
Maybe so, but I'm talking out my keister cuz I really don't know. lol

You think Tesla is really trying to "bully" anyone(as in other mfg's) like said in the article posted above?
What's ya'll thoughts on that.
Price cuts are not bullying, it's business. Tesla can do it because they figured out how to manufacture at scale and cut costs and increase profits. Cutting pricing is a way to put pressure on and get ahead of the competition, and even put them out of business. So if other companies can't compete, are put under intense pressure, go bankrupt etc. than that's not Tesla's problem. That's my take

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 01-24-23 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-24-23, 01:37 PM
katekebo
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Price cuts are not bullying, it's business. Tesla can do it because they figured out how to manufacture at scale and cut costs and increase profits. Cutting pricing is a way to put pressure on and get ahead of the competition, and even put them out of business. So if other companies can't compete, are put under intense pressure, go bankrupt etc. than that's not Tesla's problem. That's my take
Wholeheartedly agree. The traditional way of doing business among competitors has been to pocket savings for the benefit of the shareholders, at the expense of the consumers. Some basic products in the US have obscene profit margins because the 2-3 companies that dominate the market just want to milk the cow (would you believe that toilet paper has 40-50% profit margin because P&G, KC and GP have a tacit agreement to not rock the boat and enjoy screwing consumers).
Tesla is doing the right things, transferring part of the benefits of optimized manufacturing process to the customer. If by doing that they drive some less competitive companies out of business, I'm perfectly fine with that.
BYD is another example of a highly competitive company. Toyota is buying EV technology from BYD and has publicly acknowledged they they don't know how to match BYD cost efficiency (in spite of Toyota having its own factories in China).
Old 01-24-23, 02:16 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

Tesla production costs are going to go even lower with these new stamping machines. They are going to be cranking these things out like matchbox cars with a couple of AA batteries in them, and an iPad stuck on the dashboard. Give Musk some time, he'll have customers assembling their own cars from kits he provides.
Old 01-24-23, 02:29 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
Tesla production costs are going to go even lower with these new stamping machines. They are going to be cranking these things out like matchbox cars with a couple of AA batteries in them, and an iPad stuck on the dashboard. Give Musk some time, he'll have customers assembling their own cars from kits he provides.
Dear God, please send me one! I'll get my son to build it for me!
Old 01-24-23, 04:21 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

I think Toyota was smart to proceed with incompetence.
Old 01-25-23, 11:07 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by katekebo
Wholeheartedly agree. The traditional way of doing business among competitors has been to pocket savings for the benefit of the shareholders, at the expense of the consumers. Some basic products in the US have obscene profit margins because the 2-3 companies that dominate the market just want to milk the cow (would you believe that toilet paper has 40-50% profit margin because P&G, KC and GP have a tacit agreement to not rock the boat and enjoy screwing consumers).
Tesla is doing the right things, transferring part of the benefits of optimized manufacturing process to the customer. If by doing that they drive some less competitive companies out of business, I'm perfectly fine with that.
BYD is another example of a highly competitive company. Toyota is buying EV technology from BYD and has publicly acknowledged they they don't know how to match BYD cost efficiency (in spite of Toyota having its own factories in China).
Been thinking about what ya'll are saying and I think you're right.

If all the other competing Mfg's had lots of inventory at all the dealers, then I can maybe see a little "bullying" going on but I don't think that's the correct word for it anyway- poor choice of words.

This reminds me of the famouus scene in Fast and Furious when the noob hits the NOS button too early.
I would think Tesla would grab up all available profit until if and when price cutting became necessary(hit the NOS button) if it was just about squashing the competition with bullying tactcs.

Just ideas, who knows... lol

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion