EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-23, 11:16 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,152 Likes on 1,673 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Been thinking about what ya'll are saying and I think you're right.

If all the other competing Mfg's had lots of inventory at all the dealers, then I can maybe see a little "bullying" going on but I don't think that's the correct word for it anyway- poor choice of words.

This reminds me of the famouus scene in Fast and Furious when the noob hits the NOS button too early.
I would think Tesla would grab up all available profit until if and when price cutting became necessary(hit the NOS button) if it was just about squashing the competition with bullying tactcs.

Just ideas, who knows... lol
What we as the consumers hope for is competition, which keeps manufactures on their feet competing to put out the best product at the best prices. As a consumer, I don't want Tesla to be the only EV game in town. Remember Blockbuster? They took down all the mom and pop video rental shops and when they were the only big video rental shop in town they raised prices and then were taken down by Netflix. My hope is that automakers get their game together and figure out how to manufacture good products at scale so we have more choices and lower prices
Old 01-25-23, 11:23 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

The Tesla Semi has already started its vehicle deliveries, but relatively few details about the Class 8 all-electric truck’s final specifications have been fully disclosed by the electric vehicle maker. Thanks to a photo posted by Nevada Governor Joe Lombardo, however, the EV community has been provided with a first look of the Tesla Semi’s monster battery pack.

Tesla recently announced a $3.6 billion investment in Northern Nevada. The investment would be used to expand the footprint of Gigafactory Nevada by adding a a high-volume Tesla Semi factory and a 100 GWh cell production line to the existing plant. In an official announcement on Twitter, Tesla noted that the expansion would pave the way for 3,000 more team members to join the company.

Governor Lombardo, who teased the massive Tesla investment in his State of the State address, posted several images from his visit to Gigafactory Nevada. Interestingly enough, one of the photos the governor posted was taken with the Tesla Semi’s 1000-volt battery pack in the foreground.

Previous leaks from longtime Tesla hacker
late last year depicted the Tesla Semi being equipped with several battery modules arranged in a 3×3 pattern. Interestingly enough, the modular battery pack in the leaked graphics suggests that some
for versions of the truck with less range.

A look at Governor Lombardo’s recent photos shows that each of the Tesla Semi’s battery packs is extremely large. Their shape also suggests that the Tesla Semi pack features layers of battery cells, which is quite different from the usual single-layer battery modules used in cars like the Model S and Model 3. While the governor’s photo only provided a glimpse of the Semi’s battery, the pack’s refined look suggests that the Class 8 truck is ready for mass production.

During the Q3 2022 earnings call, Tesla CEO Elon Musk confirmed that the Semi, at least in its current iteration, does not use the company’s 4680 cells yet. Considering that the expansion of Gigafactory Nevada specifically includes a 4680 cell production line, however, it would seem that the Semi would transition to the company’s newer battery form factor in the future.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-semi...st-look-photo/
Old 01-25-23, 11:35 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

There was an announcement from Tesla today about an expansion of their Gigafactory in Nevada.

We will be investing $3.6 B more to continue growing Gigafactory Nevada. Includes 3,000 new team members and 2 new factories: a 100 GWh 4680 cell factory and our first high-volume Semi factory. In 2014, we made a commitment to invest $3.5 billion in Nevada with our first Gigafactory. Our goal was to build a facility capable of producing 35 GWh of battery cells annually—enough to manufacture about 500,000 vehicles per year.

This level of battery manufacturing was unprecedented for a single facility at the time, with the expected output being greater than all global battery production in 2013 combined.

Along with other on-site vendors, we planned to hire 6,500 full-time team members over the next 10 years to build and ramp Gigafactory Nevada.
Building Gigafactory Nevada

Since 2014, we have invested $6.2 billion in Nevada and built a 5.4 million square foot Gigafactory—a cornerstone of our mission to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy. The buildout alone provided 17,000 local construction jobs.

To date, the team at Gigafactory Nevada has successfully produced:
  • 7.3 billion battery cells (37 GWh+ annually)
  • 1.5 million battery packs
  • 3.6 million drive units
  • 1 million energy modules (14 GWh+ total)

To complete this work, we directly hired more than 11,000 team members.
$3.6 Billion of New Investment

We will be investing over $3.6 billion more to continue growing Gigafactory Nevada, adding 3,000 new team members and two new factories: a 100 GWh 4680 cell factory (with capacity to produce enough batteries for 1.5 million light duty vehicles annually), as well as our first high-volume Semi factory. Semi is our fully electric combination truck, with 500 miles of range and energy consumption of less than 2 KWh per mile.

Thank you to the Tesla team, our supply chain partners and the local community that has made accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable energy possible at Gigafactory Nevada.

Join us in Nevada.
Old 01-25-23, 11:45 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,937 Likes on 2,473 Posts

That battery image will be uber examined like it was a picture of aliens on the Moon. Can't see much outside of general layout.
Old 01-25-23, 11:59 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
That battery image will be uber examined like it was a picture of aliens on the Moon. Can't see much outside of general layout.
LOL they might as well be aliens from the moon! The battery pack details are what everyone is looking for
Old 01-25-23, 12:06 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jwong77
https://youtu.be/OLdIPmE4dCs
There was an announcement from Tesla today about an expansion of their Gigafactory in Nevada.
According to Tesla Daily, this expansion in Nevada will be to build 50K Semis a year!
Old 01-25-23, 12:10 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
According to Tesla Daily, this expansion in Nevada will be to build 50K Semis a year!
Cherry on top is Tesla owns a giant plot of land nearby that happens to be lithium rich.
Old 01-25-23, 12:24 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Cherry on top is Tesla owns a giant plot of land nearby that happens to be lithium rich.
I mentioned that I hope the current market generates competition, but I don't know how that is going to happen in this environment. With Tesla so far ahead, expanding its current factories (Fremont, China, Nevada) and putting out 50K semis a year starting next year, they are so far ahead of every automaker. I just hope they don't become like Microsoft became in the 90's
Old 01-25-23, 12:32 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I just hope they don't become like Microsoft became in the 90's
I hear ya. Tesla is advancing at break neck speed but it is inevitable, if no competition and they will become stale. Intel, Nvidia, as you mentioned Microsoft they all stopped giving a crap at some point.
Old 01-25-23, 01:10 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 681 Likes on 426 Posts

earnings are out. Numbers look good at first read.
  • Earnings (adjusted): $1.19 vs $1.13 per share expected, per Refinitiv
  • Revenue: $24.32 billion vs $24.16 billion expected, per Refinitiv
Prior year, Tesla reported revenue of $17.72 billion and adjusted earnings of $2.52 per share.

Last edited by swajames; 01-25-23 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-25-23, 01:27 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Well thats a damn solid quarter in my opinion. 1.3m produced in 2022 and 1.8 expected this year and obviously with the lower prices, they are off to a great start to hit that goal, maybe surpass.

But what I like is that they are finally working on a Next Gen platform! About damn time as im tired of looking at these same old designs. lol. Hopefully they dont turn into sedan or SUV versions of the Cybertruck though. lol.

Last edited by GFerg; 01-25-23 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-25-23, 01:32 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GFerg
Well thats a damn solid quarter in my opinion. 1.3m produced in 2022 and 1.8 expected this year and obviously with the lower prices, they are off to a great start.

But what I like is that they are finally working on a Next Gen platform! About damn time as im tired of looking at these same old designs. lol. Hopefully they dont turn into sedan or SUV versions of the Cybertruck though. lol.
Oh God forbid! The Cybertruck is UGLY. It has a face only a mom...or a nerd would love
Old 01-25-23, 01:59 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Tesla made $120 million in interest alone. I didn't hear clearly I think interest payments were about $45 million. Tesla energy is a $4 billion/year business currently that's not small.

Cybertruck is going to be awesome, a nearly unbreakable vehicle.
Old 01-25-23, 02:02 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Tesla made $120 million in interest alone. I didn't hear clearly I think interest payments were about $45 million. Tesla energy is a $4 billion/year business currently that's not small.

Cybertruck is going to be awesome, a nearly unbreakable vehicle.
Unbreakable, but nonetheless ugly. IMO of course
Old 01-25-23, 02:36 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Not inflation adjusted

Still very impressive since Tesla makes complex machines with software vs. simply producing mostly software.

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion