EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-23, 10:53 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Impressive quarter for TSLA. I'm gonna buy some stock and just hold it forever like I do with AAPL. As a new Tesla owner, one thing I find fascinating is how young kids know a Tesla when they see it. A few of my daughter's friends (9-12 year old range) have seen her get picked up and say "Oh cool, your Dad got a Tesla." These are young kids who upon further questioning know absolutely nothing about other cars - 2 of them didn't even know the model of the SUV their parents drove... But they know and love Tesla. Interesting brand.
I've been holding a block of Tesla stock since 2020. I was told by multiple people to "dump it" in 2021 (including from professionals from the Wall Street Journal and Motley Fool) saying its over-valued. Bought some more after the recent stock split and have been holding that as well. If I had a spare $100K to $200K I would have dumped every penny of it into Tesla stock, especially when it was at its lows.

Tesla's are the coolest cars IMO, and young people understand them right away. It's like when you hand an iPhone or Android Smart phone to a young kid and they begin navigating it as if they owned it for years. They just get it

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 01-26-23 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-26-23, 11:05 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I've been holding a block of Tesla stock since 2020. I was told by multiple people to "dump it" in 2021 (including from professionals from the Wall Street Journal and Motley Fool) saying its over-valued.
Wall Street has been saying to dump sinking ship Tesla stock since they have gone public. Best in the business Harvard Review said this in 2015
https://hbr.org/2015/04/why-tesla-wont-be-able-to-scale

There have been literally thousands of articles written in the last decade declaring Tesla is doomed. I know why this happens (I think) but am curious what other people think is the reason.

Old 01-26-23, 11:10 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Wall Street has been saying to dump sinking ship Tesla stock since they have gone public. Best in the business Harvard Review said this in 2015

There have been literally thousands of articles written in the last decade declaring Tesla is doomed. I know why this happens (I think) but am curious what other people think is the reason.
What's most interesting to me is that this thread goes back to 2019. I bet within this thread I will find many predictions of Tesla's demise. As curious as I am what people thought back in 2019 about Tesla, I'm going to refrain from reading 4 years worth of posts
Old 01-26-23, 11:18 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Because there are so many factors at play, it could've gone either way.

The "unknowns" in an equation have to be replaced with a best guess, chance or luck sometimes.
Old 01-26-23, 11:30 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

What's most interesting to me is that this thread goes back to 2019. I bet within this thread I will find many predictions of Tesla's demise.
Of course, and goes back way before 2019.

Here's what so many analysts continue to miss, the Elon factor. He thinks differently than you or I everything to him in the beginning is simplified and broken down into the most basic parts. All that is not necessary is discarded. That's why Tesla can build an EV for less than everyone else. The actual process of going from bare bones to full blown product is vastly more complex but the underlying principle remains.

Look at how widely Elon has been mocked for how he is running Twitter. It's the same screaming banshee nonsense, Elon has no idea what he's doing Twitter is going to crash and burn.

Originally Posted by Margate330

The "unknowns" in an equation have to be replaced with a best guess, chance or luck sometimes.
It could have yes Tesla nearly went bankrupt. But that doesn't change how wrong the experts were and continue to be. If Tesla failed it would have been because they didn't have enough money to see the process through, not because the process was wrong.

Old 01-26-23, 11:30 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330

I don't claim to be an expert or have some type of knowledge, but I think in Tesla's case it was more than luck. Tesla got the attention of the world with the Roadster, and then the Model S. When they announced the Model 3 in 2016, I had a strong feeling they had a hit on their hands. The number of people lining up to put down $2000 for a potential two to three wait was unreal. And when they began delivering them and people loved them regardless of the flaws, I knew Tesla was a serious company. Serious enough where I took my equity sharing payout and dumped every cent of it in a block of Tesla stock in 2020.

Maybe it was luck, but I think it was more ingenuity and Elon being able sell EV's a viable alternative to gasoline cars
Old 01-26-23, 11:36 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Elon published his master plan in 2006 and part 2 in 2016
https://www.tesla.com/blog/secret-te...een-you-and-me
https://www.tesla.com/blog/master-plan-part-deux

Not a single legacy CEO that I am aware of took it seriously or even gave it a second thought.
Old 01-26-23, 11:47 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I've learned over the years that the financial media is mostly there to serve the purpose of driving revenue for their own business models and whatever advice they may give serves that purpose. Its better to do your own research or hire a fiduciary that is supposed to serve in your best interest.
Old 01-26-23, 12:07 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jwong77
I've learned over the years that the financial media is mostly there to serve the purpose of driving revenue for their own business models and whatever advice they may give serves that purpose. Its better to do your own research or hire a fiduciary that is supposed to serve in your best interest.
I've learned that as well. I basically do my own research and look at companies performance over 5 year increments. When the stock value has increased 135 percent over 5 years, that's my indicator that long term I'm in good shape
Old 01-26-23, 12:18 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

It keeps happening. This extremely high IQ person says Elon is the enemy from within
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-e...182658984.html

After the best quarter by far in Tesla's history. Either people like that are legit out of their minds or they have a specific agenda.
Old 01-26-23, 12:32 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

More information on the Tesla Semi. Man forget the Model 3...I want one

The Tesla Semi has already been delivered to its first customers, but the actual production specs of the vehicle remain largely unknown or unconfirmed at best. Fortunately, a recent trip to PepsiCo’s Frito Lay facility in Modesto, Caifornia has provided some details that otherwise reveal the Tesla Semi production specs.

When Tesla held the first deliveries of the Semi, CEO Elon Musk highlighted that sustainable long-haulers are needed because in the transportation sector, semi trucks comprise about just 1% of vehicles on the road but they account for 20% of the emissions. Vehicles like the Tesla Semi are then designed to challenge this status quo.

Automotive publication MotorTrend was able to visit PepsiCo’s Modesto Frito Lay facility to check out the company’s first Tesla Semi units. As noted by the publication, the Modesto facility is a perfect fit for the Semi as the site already uses other green vehicles like BYD 8Y yard tractors, Peterbilt 220EV electric box trucks, and natural-gas-powered Volvo VNL trucks. The Tesla Semi fleet is used for out-and-back trips across the region.

The publication was able to gather some details about the Class 8 all-electric truck from its drivers and Tesla representatives who were at the location during the visit. Following are some key specs of the Tesla Semi.

POWERTRAIN

The Tesla Semi features a modified Plaid tri-motor powertrain that’s spun backward. The Model S’ front motor drives the Semi’s rear axle and acts as the vehicle’s high-efficiency “highway drive unit.” The Model S Plaid’s dual rear motors, on the other hand, are installed on the rear axle. With this in mind, MotorTrend estimated that the Tesla Semi likely matches the Model S and Model X Plaid’s 1,020 horsepower and 1,050 pounds-feet of torque.

This estimate makes sense considering that a Tesla representative reportedly noted that the Tesla Semi makes “three times the power of an average diesel semi.” The US’ best-selling semi is the Freightliner Cascadia, whose base model features 350 horsepower. Three times the base Cascadia’s horsepower certainly aligns with the estimate that the Semi has about 1,020 horsepower. On a side note, the Tesla Semi production version does not have a frunk, unlike the vehicle’s prototype units.
Tesla semi bonnet open

BATTERY

Drivers of the Tesla Semi reportedly noted that the all-electric Class 8 truck is fitted with a 1,000 kWh battery pack. Tesla lists the Semi’s range as 500 miles per charge, and Elon Musk has also highlighted that the vehicle would consume only 2 kW per mile traveled.

If these estimates prove accurate, then the Semi’s 300-mile variant would likely have a battery pack that’s around 600 kWh. That’s still a lot of batteries, so Tesla would have to ensure that its production is optimized to ensure that the Semi is profitable.

MEGACHARGER OUTPUT

The Tesla Semi features a charging port that’s different from all the vehicles that the company has released so far. The motoring publication noted that the Tesla Semi’s Megachargers installed on the Modesto facility could provide around 750 kW of power, or about three times the output of the company’s Supercharger V3 network.

The cables for the Tesla Semi’s Megachargers are thick, though they are reportedly easy to manage compared to some DC fast charging networks in the market. Charging the Semi from almost empty to 70% typically takes about 30 minutes. A full charge all the way to 100% reportedly takes around 90 minutes.

PHYSICAL CONTROLS

While the Tesla Semi’s controls are mostly centered on its two infotainment systems, the vehicle also sports several physical buttons. Among these are the parking brake, trailer-brake air supply, and the vehicle’s hazards. Other physical controls include stalks similar to those found in the Tesla Model 3 and Model Y, though some buttons on the steering wheel resemble those in the new Model S and Model X.

INTERIOR SPACE

The cabin of the Tesla Semi is cavernous, similar to the company’s other vehicles. MotorTrend noted that there’s enough space to enable a six-foot person to walk around and stretch in the Tesla Semi’s 3×7 foot cabin. So far, PepsiCo’s drivers seem to like the Semi, with some telling the motoring publication that the all-electric truck was very comfortable and “drove like a car.”

OTHER DETAILS

The use of the Tesla Semi’s dual infotainment systems is quite interesting. The right display functions as the Tesla Semi’s main infotainment unit, while the left display exclusively shows pertinent information about the truck, such as its tire pressure. The windows in the Semi’s cabin also open when needed, though they do not roll down. Some space in the cabin also seem to be reserved for customers who wish to order the Tesla Semi with a sleeper cabin. Images taken of the Semi’s displays also confirm that the vehicle is equipped with Tesla’s Full Self-Driving computer.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-semi...pecs-released/
Old 01-26-23, 12:45 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It keeps happening. This extremely high IQ person says Elon is the enemy from within

After the best quarter by far in Tesla's history. Either people like that are legit out of their minds or they have a specific agenda.
The agenda was to get us to click on the article and generate more income.
Old 01-26-23, 01:10 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Tesla's are the coolest cars IMO, and young people understand them right away. It's like when you hand an iPhone or Android Smart phone to a young kid and they begin navigating it as if they owned it for years. They just get it
This is 1 million percent accurate. Both of my kids know how to do anything on the Tesla - they both learned it within the first day I bought it. It's wild. And guess what kind of car they both say they want to drive when they turn 16?
Old 01-26-23, 01:22 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
This is 1 million percent accurate. Both of my kids know how to do anything on the Tesla - they both learned it within the first day I bought it. It's wild. And guess what kind of car they both say they want to drive when they turn 16?
​​​​​​Darn smart kids
Old 01-26-23, 01:55 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

So true.
They speak with a forked tongue. Lol

Intuition trumps genius if someone has the gift of discernment.

Feeling lucky doesn't usually end well tho, Im not usually a gambling man for this reason but Ill do a powerball or lotto sometimes haha

The agenda was to get us to click on the article and generate more income.
Way too much of that going on. IMO
It's all about the click...

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion