EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-23, 09:03 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

That some can't understand a smaller share of a much bigger pie isn't a bad thing is beyond me.

And as for the recent doom and gloom TSLA predictions in the thread, it's up 60% over the last month.
Old 01-27-23, 09:06 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i happened to talk to an engineer from uh, a very big automaker recently about that and he said they're working to double, then triple volume in the next several years. i asked "yes, but are they making any money?" he said yes on higher end trims, but losing money on low end ones. that's not great.

if cyber truck is even half way decent it could be devastating to the traditional 3 truck makers.

and at that point, price becomes an issue, and production cost REALLY matters. seems like elon musk has already gamed this all out.
That's the thing about Musk, he thought way ahead. People (myself included) underestimated his multitasking abilities
Old 01-27-23, 11:46 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Man, I am just tempted......

The Tesla Model 3 RWD is the company’s most affordable vehicle today, starting at just $43,990 before incentives in the United States following the substantial price cuts implemented earlier this month. A look at Tesla’s order page for the vehicle shows that Model 3 RWD can be leased for a very reasonable $399 per month.

As per Tesla’s online configurator for the Model 3 sedan, selecting “lease” on the vehicle’s finance options defaults to the all-electric sedan having an estimated $399 per month rate. This is, at least, if customers opt for a downpayment of $4,500, a lease term of 36 months, and 10,000 annual miles. Customers who wish to have 15,000 annual miles can expect to pay $447 a month.

Customers who wish to lease the all-electric sedan for 36 months and 10,000 annual miles can expect to pay $5,594 upon signing the vehicle’s lease, which is comprised of the Model 3 RWD’s first month’s payment and an acquisition fee of $695. Those who wish to lease the Model 3 RWD with 15,000 annual miles can expect to pay $5,642 upon signing.

The Tesla Model 3 RWD’s affordable lease price is available through the company’s leasing service. Tesla leasing is available in the following states: AL, AK, AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, HI, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, LA, MA, MD, ME, MN, MO, MT, NC, ND, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WY.

The Tesla Model 3 RWD may be the company’s most affordable vehicle in the United States today, but it is still a very well-equipped car. In its most base form, the vehicle still comes with Basic Autopilot as standard. Basic Autopilot offers Traffic-Aware Cruise Control, which allows a Tesla to accelerate and brake to match the speed of surrounding traffic; and Autosteer, which enables the vehicle to follow clearly defined lane lines.

The Model 3 RWD also features 272 miles of EPA estimated range, a 0-60 mph time of 5.8 seconds, and a top speed of 140 mph. Without any additional options, the vehicle is shipped with Pearl White Multi-Coat paint, 18″ Aero Wheels, and an All Black interior.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-mode...heapest-price/
Old 01-27-23, 12:10 PM
swajames
Pole Position

The $4500 down on that example in the article hides the true lease payment which is $524. The downpayment of course is simply buying down the monthly payment.
Old 01-27-23, 12:13 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
The $4500 down on that example in the article hides the true lease payment which is $524. The downpayment of course is simply buying down the monthly payment.
Yeah, I did take that into account. $524 a month is still really good. I'm paying $520 a month for my Polestar...and that's with $4500 down! So the Model 3 is a way better deal
Old 01-27-23, 12:14 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Tesla will continue to lose EV market share until at least 2030. But here comes the kicker and it's a big one. The EV pie is growing exponentially. 2022 saw the ICE market shrink 7% EVs grew I think 60%. As they say, statistics are like thong underwear what they reveal is suggestive what they hide is vital.
Market share of what? The EV market? As more EV options are available, sure. But that is a myopic view. Teslas, like all vehicles, compete in the overall vehicle market. The are gaining market share.
Old 01-27-23, 12:22 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

What the heck?? $399 per month?! Last few years has my perception of vehicle prices messed up. This Sounds like the bargain of the century. Lol

And at the same time saying RIP to everyone else trying to sell EV's. Lol.
Old 01-27-23, 08:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Stock has been doing good the last few days
Old 01-27-23, 09:29 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I thought if you lease, the lessor needs to take into account the $7,500 tax credit immediately from the price of vehicle?
Old 01-27-23, 10:36 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
I thought if you lease, the lessor needs to take into account the $7,500 tax credit immediately from the price of vehicle?
the lessor gets the credit, but isn’t obligated to pass it on to the lessee. In most cases, though, they probably would factor it in.
Old 01-27-23, 11:13 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Im curious how leasing with the tax credit works with Tesla...do they just ignore it? If one qualifies for the tax credit, it would simply make more send to buy it if Tesla is going to pocket the credit instead.
Old 01-28-23, 12:12 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

10k miles a year. Lol that's cute. I drive at least three times that. This year may just be closer to four times, due to cheaper gas (at least for now) combined with better gas mileage over the LS.

If I'm purchasing a vehicle I'd like to not have limits.

On my way to work today I saw a big white Tesla creep up behind me. Completely ugly in every sense. Tailed me (of course) for a good two miles until I let him pass me. Some people are in such a hurry to make up an extra 90 seconds on the road. Tesla owners are the biggest culprits of that. I guess he had to hurry so he could drive the other 20 miles to the Tesla charging station so he can sit in his car, text or play on his phone for an hour while he charges enough to get back to Seattle where he obviously came from.
Old 01-28-23, 07:42 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
Im curious how leasing with the tax credit works with Tesla...do they just ignore it? If one qualifies for the tax credit, it would simply make more send to buy it if Tesla is going to pocket the credit instead.
If you qualify for the tax credit (for now, that’s essentially an adjusted gross income test assuming your MSRP is below the limit) and you have sufficient tax liability to utilize it, you’re probably better off buying rather than leasing. The leasing company as the buyer is the one who would get the credit if you leased. Generally speaking, the credit does get factored into the deal with some or all of it being treated as a down payment. From 2024, the tax credit should be available as a point of sale deduction. Until then, it has to be taken as a credit on your return.
Old 01-28-23, 08:16 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

If you qualify for the tax credit (for now, that’s essentially an adjusted gross income test assuming your MSRP is below the limit) and you have sufficient tax liability to utilize it, you’re probably better off buying rather than leasing. The leasing company as the buyer is the one who would get the credit if you leased. Generally speaking, the credit does get factored into the deal with some or all of it being treated as a down payment. From 2024, the tax credit should be available as a point of sale deduction. Until then, it has to be taken as a credit on your return.

The knowledge of ya'll CL members is really impressive.
This is why I come to Club Lexus!
Old 01-28-23, 11:57 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

the lessor gets the credit, but isn’t obligated to pass it on to the lessee. In most cases, though, they probably would factor it in.
When I leased my Polestar last year, the EV tax credit was discounted from MSRP, so in my case I benefited

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion