EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-23, 05:24 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

It's not all rosy at Tesla. They do have some quality control issues and people need to be aware. Hopefully a one off, but this is scary as heck!!

Tesla Model Y Steering Wheel Falls Off While Driving, One Week After Delivery
https://insideevs.com/news/640947/te...ing-falls-off/
Old 01-31-23, 06:38 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
It's not all rosy at Tesla. They do have some quality control issues and people need to be aware. Hopefully a one off, but this is scary as heck!!

That was back in 2020, and most likely BS. Remember the Prius where brakes stopped working? That turned out to be BS. If this was true, it would have been all over the news, investigations and lawsuits. I'm calling BS.

I had a friend that unscrewed the steering wheel of his van, and he would prank people by removing it while driving on the freeway, so I've seen this done before
Old 01-31-23, 06:48 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
That was back in 2020, and most likely BS. Remember the Prius where brakes stopped working? That turned out to be BS. If this was true, it would have been all over the news, investigations and lawsuits. I'm calling BS.

I had a friend that unscrewed the steering wheel of his van, and he would prank people by removing it while driving on the freeway, so I've seen this done before
curious how was it 2020 when he took delivery of his car in Jan 2023 and happened a week after? This is a current issue, hopefully he gets it fixed quickly

From his twitter sounds like Tesla is trying to charge him for the fix as well. I suspect all will be made right but not a great experience for this guy getting issue resolved so far
https://twitter.com/preneh24?ref_src...g-falls-off%2F
Old 01-31-23, 06:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
curious how was it 2020 when he took delivery of his car in Jan 2023 and happened a week after? This is a current issue, hopefully he gets it fixed quickly

From his twitter sounds like Tesla is trying to charge him for the fix as well. I suspect all will be made right but not a great experience for this guy getting issue resolved so far
insideev's article says about the guy this past week and ALSO another incident from 2020.

Old 01-31-23, 06:58 AM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 249 Likes on 188 Posts

Now, it’s worth mentioning that Tesla isn’t the only manufacturer out there to experience such problems, although it seems Tesla owners are much more vocal about both the features and the defects of their cars. In the past, Ford and Hyundai have issued recalls for a design problem where the bolt that fixes the steering wheel in place was too short and could become loose, resulting in the steering wheel falling off.
In the meantime:

Back in 2020, a Tesla Model 3 owner who drove his car for around 340 miles since delivery found himself in the same situation, with the car’s steering wheel falling off while reversing into his driveway. Back then, Tesla collected the car and returned it the following day with the steering wheel properly attached, confirming that the car in question was missing the bolt that fixes the steering wheel to the steering column.
And here I thought that the QC was at least limited to (sometimes very ugly) cosmetics.

Wanna bet if there'll be a recall for all potentially affected vehicles?
Old 01-31-23, 07:59 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I didn't read the whole thing, I saw a 2020 date, my mistake. I still say it's bs. A steering wheel coming off is clearly a safety issue that would be huge that could warrant lawsuits. That's way beyond a quality issue if true. I'll take another look at the link when I get a chance

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 01-31-23 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-31-23, 08:10 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I didn't read the whole thing, I saw a 2020 date, my mistake. I still say it's bs. A steering wheel coming off is clearly a safety issue that would be huge that could warrant lawsuits. That's way beyond a quality issue if true. I'll take another look at the link when I get a chance
If the steering shaft is splined, why not just slam the steering wheel back on and drive it until it can be fixed?

Why they make such a big deal hissy fit about it?
Have a cold one and chill... lol

Does this affect many vehicles or one in a million. that's the question.
Old 01-31-23, 08:16 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
If the steering shaft is splined, why not just slam the steering wheel back on and drive it until it can be fixed?

Why they make such a big deal hissy fit about it?
Have a cold one and chill... lol

Does this affect many vehicles or one in a million. that's the question.
​​​​​​If it's as actually true, someone at Tesla will surely need a cold one
Old 01-31-23, 09:00 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I re-read the article, and went through the guys Twitter. I also did a Google search for "Model Y recall" and "Model Y steering wheel falling off", and there are a total of 2 that came up...this one on 1/30, and one in 2020 (a Model 3). Here's my take, and it's my opinion only, that either yes, 1) the steering wheel actually fell off due to a factory defect or lack of quality control, or 2) the guy bought the car in December before the price hike and wants to get is money back (he states in the Tweet he "appreciates a refund because he lost trust") so he can buy another Model Y $20K cheaper. I have my reason for believing the latter, which I won't state here in this thread.

So until I see more steering wheels falling off or a recall issued by Tesla, I'm sticking by that this is not a major problem and possibly just a one off
Old 01-31-23, 09:13 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Hi Gferg,
Just saw your post.

Yeah, I agree that would be scary and dangerous.
I just raised an eyebrow when he didn't slam the wheel back on and drive it to safety.
Disclaimer- if the shaft has splines, I don't know 100% if it does but most cars do/did, just a guess of course.

And this is another thing that makes me raise an eyebrow.
Did Tesla see evidence of tampering?
And then covered the repair when the owner objected just to make it go away?

I'm not trying to take away from someones misfortune but I ask questions. lol

Last edited by Margate330; 01-31-23 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-31-23, 09:30 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

That is 100% BS, chum for the Tesla haters.
Old 01-31-23, 11:21 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Hope none of their steering wheels fall off

Tesla China Shipping Out Huge Fleets Of Exports

Tesla has emptied the large volume of EVs at Shanghai's Nangang terminal. There's literally not a single Tesla left at the port

Tesla reportedly had a very strong first month of the year at its locations across the globe, seemingly in direct response to the US EV maker's price cuts. According to folks who keep close tabs on Tesla factory production and deliveries, Giga Shanghai has been extremely busy, and a huge batch of exports was just cleared from Shanghai's Southport Terminal a few days ago.

We've heard stories about how Tesla's price cuts in the US are strongly accelerating sales, which makes perfect sense, as it's also encouraging Tesla's rivals to lower prices. Tesla has also been significantly reducing prices in China as it ramps up production after major upgrades to the factory late last year. Now that Giga Shanghai is essentially capable of producing more cars than Tesla typically sells domestically and abroad, the automaker appears to be ramping up exports yet again.

As you can see from the video below produced by drone videographer and social media influencer Wu Wa, Tesla has been once again loading up the ports in China with Teslas for export. Not long after the vehicles arrived and packed the port, thousands were loaded to head to new owners overseas. The YouTube influencer captured footage of the EVs being loaded on ships on January 19, 2023, right in the midst of China's Spring Festival.

Taking another drone trip to the terminal just 10 days later, on January 29, there were literally no Tesla EVs left anywhere at the port. Check out the video at the top of the page to see it for yourself. Wu Wa writes:
"On the second day of the Chinese Spring Festival holiday, Tesla has been emptied at Shanghai's Nangang terminal, and there is no longer a Tesla to be seen at the port. Tesla Shanghai factory has resumed work today (January 29) ..."
As we recently reported, it appears Tesla has revamped its production and delivery practices to begin the new year. Rather than waiting until the end of the quarter and the end of the year to "catch up" on deliveries, the automaker reduced prices and ramped up deliveries right off the bat. This was true in China and the US. Perhaps the goal is to get the numbers up to such heights that the remainder of the year won't be so much of a struggle.

Now, thanks to the continued drone footage from Wu Wa, we know that Tesla is also continuing with massive waves of export deliveries as well, not to mention the fact that the EV maker's new factory in Germany has been ramping up production simultaneously. As the quarter moves on, Tesla will likely revert back to producing EVs at Giga Shanghai for the domestic market, though we'll have to wait and see if it follows its typical plans or moves in a new direction.
How many EVs do you think Tesla will deliver in Q1 2023? The automaker hopes to produce between 1.8 and 2 million vehicles for the year as a whole. Will it meet or exceed its guidance?

https://insideevs.com/news/642257/te...fleet-exports/
Old 01-31-23, 11:34 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
That is 100% BS, chum for the Tesla haters.
welp if so he involved the police in his BS, and sounds like the Tesla dealership seems to believe him offering him 2 options

i agree this likely isn’t widespread, but even onsey twosey would be pretty scary if it happened to you
Old 01-31-23, 11:42 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

welp if so he involved the police in his BS, and sounds like the Tesla dealership seems to believe him offering him 2 options

i agree this likely isn’t widespread, but even onsey twosey would be pretty scary if it happened to you
Too much fraud and general anti-Tesla hysteria for me not to be instantly suspicious when things like this happen. Like when the Tesla supposedly crashed in a tree all by itself and the rush to conclusion. And so many other stories.

Back to the subject, looks like Model Y is on track to become the best selling vehicle by volume in 2023 and #1 vehicle in terms of revenue.
Old 01-31-23, 12:32 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Note: Model 3 and Model Y cumulative sales equal 1,355,000 Million cars

Tesla bursts into top 10 best-selling cars in the world with 2 models; industry should be scared

Tesla has burst into the top 10 best-selling cars in the world with not just one but two models in 2022. It’s something that the industry should be scared of, as manufacturing electric vehicles in volume becomes clearly disruptive.

It’s hard to argue against the fact that electric vehicles are taking over.

Their market shares are rising slowly but steadily in most markets, and while they still account for a small fraction of new car sales, there are a few tidbits of data that point clearly to EVs taking over the industry faster than people think.

A market like Norway is a good example and window into the future of the broader auto industry with now over 80% of new cars sales being electric, and fossil fuel-powered vehicle sales have slowed to a crawl.

Another good example is the fact that all the fastest-growing car models are electric, and they are now even reaching the top 10 best-selling vehicles in the world.

According to data compiled by Focus to Move, electric vehicles, more specifically the Tesla Model Y and Model 3, have entered the top 10 best-selling electric vehicles in the world:
  1. Toyota Corolla: 1.12 million (down 2% vs last year)
  2. Toyota RAV4: 870,000 (down 14% versus last year)
  3. Ford F-Series: 787,000 (down 9% versus last year)
  4. Tesla Model Y: 759,000 (up 88% versus last year)
  5. Toyota Camry: 675,000 (down 3% versus last year)
  6. Honda CR-V: 601,000 (down 18% versus last year)
  7. Tesla Model 3: 596,000 (up 4% versus last year)
As you can see, Toyota remains dominant with three models within the top five best-selling passenger vehicles in the world.

However, every single model in the top 10 is down year-over-year except for Tesla’s two vehicles.

On top of it, by revenue, the Tesla Model Y takes the first stop since it averaged a sale price of over $55,000 for most of the year.

Electrek’s Take

The auto industry should take this seriously. It wasn’t that long ago that, aside for the more savvy people in the auto industry, Tesla was mostly a joke to auto execs. They would literally laugh at Tesla and its effort to build electric vehicles in volume.

Now a few years later, Tesla has not one but two models in the top 10 list of best-selling passenger vehicles in the world

And Model Y is on a very clear path to becoming the number-one-selling vehicle in the world this year.

All the while, every other single best-selling vehicle finds itself down year-over-year.

It proves that if you can produce a compelling electric vehicle in volume, not only is there a market for it, but it is taking over the industry.

With Toyota still not having a global all-electric vehicle produced in volume, I think it will be completely knocked off that list by 2025

https://electrek.co/2023/01/30/tesla...dustry-scared/

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion