EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-23, 06:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

"Earnings figures also show Tesla makes five times more per car than Toyota"
Of course you can make money if you cut corners. Judging by the condition that many Teslas seem to be delivered to customers from the factory, their reliability issues, and level of those customer complaints, perhaps Tesla is probably not spending enough on quality-control.
Old 02-11-23, 06:34 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,935 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Of course you can make money if you cut corners. Judging by the condition that many Teslas seem to be delivered to customers from the factory, their reliability issues, and level of those customer complaints, perhaps Tesla is probably not spending enough on quality-control.
For Toyota's sake I hope they are not making excuses like this. Let's touch on Tesla customers; Tesla has the highest satisfaction and highest retention rate of any auto maker.
Old 02-11-23, 07:01 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
what you are saying is not factual. Having the highest customer retention rate of all automakers coupled with having the highest customer complaints doesn't make sense. You are going to have to show me all the reliability problems you are mentioning. So far my brother in laws Model 3 he's had for 3 months has zero reliability issues

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 02-11-23 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-11-23, 07:04 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Let's tone down the constant Tesla cheerleading folks. People can have concerns about Tesla build quality and reliability and those topic should be able to be discussed without the denials and whataboutism.
Old 02-11-23, 07:14 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Let's tone down the constant Tesla cheerleading folks. People can have concerns about Tesla build quality and reliability and those topic should be able to be discussed without the denials and whataboutism.
What I posted is factual.
Tesla has the highest customer retention, and the industry should worry

To counter let's see the claims of high customer complaints and reliability issues backed up by facts.
Old 02-11-23, 07:17 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
For Toyota's sake I hope they are not making excuses like this. Let's touch on Tesla customers; Tesla has the highest satisfaction and highest retention rate of any auto maker.
Just to touch on their satisfaction and retention rate, we're just one example but after 8 or 9 months with our first Tesla, I can't imagine not having one in the "fleet" at all times. I'm open to having other brands along side it but I'd like to always have at least one Tesla lol.

Our Model Y isn't the perfect car for us, I have a love/hate relationship with it, but there are still very few cars I would rather be driving and most of the time, I find it very enjoyable to drive/use.

We've decided to get a Model X to replace it since it should fix a lot of the issues we have with it and I'm really excited about it. We're waiting to hear news that hardware 4.0 has shipped and all these other changes are coming to the US Model X before we place an order since they were all just approved for Model X in Europe.

Old 02-11-23, 07:21 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by signdetres
Just to touch on their satisfaction and retention rate, we're just one example but after 8 or 9 months with our first Tesla, I can't imagine not having one in the "fleet" at all times. I'm open to having other brands along side it but I'd like to always have at least one Tesla lol.

Our Model Y isn't the perfect car for us, I have a love/hate relationship with it, but there are still very few cars I would rather be driving and most of the time, I find it very enjoyable to drive/use.

We've decided to get a Model X to replace it since it should fix a lot of the issues we have with it and I'm really excited about it. We're waiting to hear news that hardware 4.0 has shipped and all these other changes are coming to the US Model X before we place an order since they were all just approved for Model X in Europe.

Are you in Europe, or the Midwest?

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 02-11-23 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-11-23, 07:30 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
What I posted is factual.
Tesla has the highest customer retention, and the industry should worry

To counter let's see the claims of high customer complaints and reliability issues backed up by facts.
I'll say it again, people can have concerns and discussions about Tesla quality, hidden costs for buying an EV, range concerns in the cold, etc etc. We can and will discuss those here without fear of constant attacks. Want to provide a counterpoint? Do it politely bringing details on owner experiences and improvements, but the tone of TESLA SLANDER ATTACK!!!! needs to end.

I'll remind you again, this is a Lexus & Toyota forum. If you are going to constantly badmouth and play up whatever Tesla new stat or news article is with a goal of putting down the brands that drew us here, you will quickly lose access when I create the new EV forum. That will be rule #1.

In the future, PM me to discuss vs always posting a challenge when I make a moderator request in the discussion forums please. That's in our rules.

Let's get back on topic.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 02-11-23 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-11-23, 08:04 PM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

It's not that hard to make that much more per car compared to Toyota.

Ferrari and Lambo earn more than Tesla per car.

I would even argue Lexus makes more $ per car than Tesla.

Last edited by 703; 02-11-23 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-11-23, 08:15 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 703

Don't argue, just post the numbers if you have them.
Old 02-11-23, 08:20 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 703

Tesla sales more cars than Ferrari and Lambo. Way, way more cars. Tesla also outsales all other vehicles in the Luxury/Premium segment
Old 02-11-23, 08:30 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I was not able to find margins etc. for Lamborghini and Ferrari what are they? Given the price points I'd imagine they are much, much higher than any mainstream auto maker.
Old 02-11-23, 09:15 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Tesla sales more cars than Ferrari and Lambo. Way, way more cars. Tesla also outsales all other vehicles in the Luxury/Premium segment
Margin per car. I am not sure why you keep on going back to sales volume? No one is debating sales volume. Also Toyota sells so many cars below the entry price point of a Tesla 3, so I'm calling out its not a great comparison.

Last edited by 703; 02-11-23 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-11-23, 09:18 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Motorola
Don't argue, just post the numbers if you have them.
Those numbers for Lexus not not released publicly, hence the argument. But for Ferrari, this article quotes $94,000 per car.

Old 02-11-23, 09:23 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 703
Margin per car, not volume. I am not sure why you keep on going back to sales volume? No one is debating sales volume.
OK, fair enough. I have no knowledge of what the margins are for those particular high end makes, but in IMO it doesn't really matter, Tesla doesn't even remotely compete with those brands

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 02-11-23 at 11:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion