EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-23, 08:40 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
We subscribed and tried it for a few months. It was cool. It “works” and successfully took us 20 miles to dinner and 20 miles back home all on its own. So when it works, it’s very cool and you can learn to feel out what it’s doing. It feels very human like and when it’s good it’s good, but when it’s bad, omg you better be ready to take over.

Overall, it’s super cool to play with and try out but we didn’t think it was worth paying for in its current stage and I don’t feel like the other features you get in the package were very good either.

Self parking wasn’t the best. It doesn’t work perfectly every time like it did in my mom’s old 2013 Ford Focus. That had the best parallel parking system I’ve used to this day.

Summon and Smart Summon are cool, but a little gimicky, Smart Summon is borderline dangerous.

Day to day driving with it became annoying. It’s a much simpler and calmer drive without it. It was extremely annoying. Constantly wanting to change lanes for no reason and having to tap the screen to cancel. Taking way too long to slow down for speed limit changes. It required way too much intervention. I’m talking like once a minute.

Basic autopilot is flawless, doesn’t need any inputs from me, works as expected and not like beta software, and best part is it’s free with the car. I enjoy the car much more now that we got rid of the FSD subscription.

Oh no! Hope it goes well! We had a service appointment recently and it went really well for us. I received better treatment and service than I ever have at Lexus or elsewhere. We were so impressed. And the fact that it’s all done through the app. No other OEMs can compare with that aspect of Tesla service.
Yeah, no thanks, I have no interest in FSD. Tesla has been collecting data for years and each update makes FSD better, but 1) prefer to drive myself and 2) I have no interest signing any legal documents giving Tesla the right to disable my car if I drive like an a-hole
Old 02-17-23, 08:54 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Hopefully it's just a sensor. I've been seeing a few users report clicking sounds coming from their motors (all around 30K miles) in the Polestar forum, one guy is getting a drivetrain tear down to determine what it is, so it could be worse
This sounds dumb but I would almost rather have a motor replacement, at least I wouldn't see or hear it. I've always been leary of having my dash taken apart since I have to live in that area when I am driving and never trust someone taking it all apart. When I have my 08 GX470 it had the infamous dash rattle and rather then having them take apart my dash, I lived with the minor rattle because who know what other rattles would pop up. Crossing my fingers...
Old 02-17-23, 09:01 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
This sounds dumb but I would almost rather have a motor replacement, at least I wouldn't see or hear it. I've always been leary of having my dash taken apart since I have to live in that area when I am driving and never trust someone taking it all apart. When I have my 08 GX470 it had the infamous dash rattle and rather then having them take apart my dash, I lived with the minor rattle because who know what other rattles would pop up. Crossing my fingers...
I know what you mean! At least it sounds like it's a sensor and not your cooling/heating system itself. They may just totally replace your dash, which would be great. I had the infamous "sticky dash" issue with my IS350, and Lexus changed my whole dash with no issues. My IS350 dash is probably more complicated than the one in your Plaid as they had to take out the whole center console as well as the infotainment system
Old 02-17-23, 10:12 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Yeah, no thanks, I have no interest in FSD. Tesla has been collecting data for years and each update makes FSD better, but 1) prefer to drive myself and 2) I have no interest signing any legal documents giving Tesla the right to disable my car if I drive like an a-hole
Yeah, I want to drive myself too.
And- NO! ,nobody will be disabling my car nor would I pay extra for it, but that's just me.

Edit:
PS- OTA updates is a discussion for another thread but I have ideas on that too.

Last edited by Margate330; 02-17-23 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-17-23, 10:15 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

This is a new service center and only have one Model X in the showroom but I may have to do that!

Well they have to take out my dashboard to see what is wrong. Now I just hope they put it all back together correctly. I was hoping it wasn't a big deal but it looks like it is.

I see you got your Plaid and you decided against the Model S Plaid and opted for the X, nice. You need to do a write up on it.
Yup, I wanted the S Long Range but ultimately my significant other made a case for the Model X that I couldn’t disagree with. We ended up going Plaid instead of Long Range because it was only ~$3000 more after building the LR with the white interior and six seat configuration. At that price point, it didn’t feel right not just getting the Plaid over that small of a price difference.

We placed an order but I’m really nervous due to HW4 being right around the corner. If it comes and still has HW3 we will 100% not accept delivery and will have to re-order once it’s more official or guaranteed to arrive with HW4.

Either way, I’ll definitely do a write up comparing it to the Model Y. I’m sure it’ll be quite an upgrade, especially speed wise.
Old 02-17-23, 10:46 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by signdetres
Yup, I wanted the S Long Range but ultimately my significant other made a case for the Model X that I couldn’t disagree with. We ended up going Plaid instead of Long Range because it was only ~$3000 more after building the LR with the white interior and six seat configuration. At that price point, it didn’t feel right not just getting the Plaid over that small of a price difference.

We placed an order but I’m really nervous due to HW4 being right around the corner. If it comes and still has HW3 we will 100% not accept delivery and will have to re-order once it’s more official or guaranteed to arrive with HW4.

Either way, I’ll definitely do a write up comparing it to the Model Y. I’m sure it’ll be quite an upgrade, especially speed wise.
My significant other, aka the wife asked why I'm not looking at or considering the Model X. I showed her the price, and her eyes got wide, and she shook her head and walked away. I was hoping she would say go ahead, it's a once in a lifetime purchase we will be using over the next 10 years, but she hasn't brought it up again

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 02-17-23 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-17-23, 10:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Had a heating/cooling system fault in my Tesla so I have to take it in for service today. I haven’t had the best luck with Tesla service so wish me luck!

that is unfortunate and too bad. It always sucks when your car breaks or has an issue. It will be interesting to see how they fix it, and how it differs from a gas car. Keep me posted if you don’t mind. I will also be interested know if they share with you the cost on the invoice and see what that would be.

good luck
Old 02-17-23, 11:29 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

One of the worst kept secrets

Tesla's Musk to hold call with Mexico president, factory announcement imminent

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) -Electric vehicle maker Tesla Inc will soon confirm it has chosen Mexico as a location for a new plant, and CEO Elon Musk is planning to speak with Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, Mexico's top diplomat said on Friday.

"Very soon we will have confirmation that this company, which is so important, which is very close to the electromobility priorities we are promoting, has chosen Mexico to increase its presence," Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard said, referring to Tesla.

He declined to give a time for the phone call or the location for Tesla's Mexico investment.

"It will be talked about in the call," said Ebrard, who spoke at an event with Mexican business leaders.

It was previously known that Mexico was among the countries where Tesla was thinking of building a new factory but Ebrard's comments are the clearest sign yet that the carmaker has decided on Mexico.

Several potential sites have been pitched for Tesla's move to Mexico, with Lopez Obrador saying earlier this month that the states of Nuevo Leon and Hidalgo were leading the race.
Old 02-17-23, 11:33 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

The recent leaks of Tesla’s Hardware 4 computer provided a pretty clear teaser of the upcoming changes coming to the electric vehicle maker’s Autopilot unit. While there is still much to be learned about HW4, the leaks suggest that the number of cameras in Tesla’s electric vehicles may be increased to 11.

Hardware 4, as its name suggests, is Tesla’s next-generation Autopilot computer. Elon Musk noted during the Q4 and FY 2022 earnings call that HW4 should be capable of operating 500% to 600% safer than a human driver. The existing Hardware 3 computer being rolled out to vehicles like the Model 3 and Model Y today are equipped with Hardware 3, which Musk noted should be capable of operating 200% to 300% safer than a human driver.

HARDWARE 4 AND TESLA VISION

Considering the electric vehicle maker’s focus on Tesla Vision, it is pertinent for FSD and Autopilot to see and analyze road conditions very well in real-time. With this in mind, and as per the Hardware 4 leaks that were recently posted on Twitter by prolific Tesla hacker @greentheonly, it would appear that the electric vehicle maker is increasing the number of its cameras to 11.

A look at the Hardware 4 computer would show 12 fully-populated camera connectors, with one being marked as “Spare.” Of the remaining 11, one will still be used for the cabin camera while ten will be used for the vehicle’s exterior. This is not surprising at all as the company adopts a similar system with its existing eight-camera layout for its vehicles today.

HARDWARE 3 VS. HARDWARE 4 CAMERAS

For context, Tesla’s existing layout features an eight-camera setup: one above the rear license plate, one in each door pillar, three mounted on the windshield above the rearview mirror, and one mounted to each front fender. A radar unit and ultrasonic sensors were also used in the past, though Tesla phased these out as the company focused on its development of Tesla Vision.

The leaked Hardware 4 images list the cameras as the following: “F-SVC,” “L-SVC,” “R-SVC,” “L-FF-Rear,” “R-FF-Rear,” “L-FF-Side,” “R-FF-Side,” “Wide,” “Main,” “Backup,” and “Selfie.” As per the Tesla hacker, the names are a bit cryptic, but based on how they are listed, one could speculate where the cameras will be placed in a Tesla equipped with a Hardware 4 computer.

POTENTIAL HARDWARE 4 CAMERA PLACEMENTS

Immediately noticeable in the leaked images are the three cameras marked “F-SVC,” “L-SVC,” and “R-SVC.” The Tesla Parts Catalog shows that “SVC” refers to vehicle bumpers, so with these in mind, it would appear that Hardware 4 would be using three bumper cameras. Considering the references to “F,” “L,” and “R” SVC placements, the Tesla hacker noted that one of the Hardware 4 cameras might be placed in the front bumper, while two may be placed on both sides of the rear bumpers for cross traffic.

Also notable are the Hardware 4 camera slots listed as “FF.” A total of four cameras are listed with these letters: “L-FF-Rear,” “R-FF-Rear,” “L-FF-Side,” and “R-FF-Side.” The Tesla hacker speculated that “FF” might refer to “Front Fender,” which would suggest that the cameras in the pillar may be moved to the front fender. Other Tesla watchers, however, have suggested that “FF” may also mean “Front Facing,” “Full-Frame” for higher resolution images, or “Far Field.”

NO BLIND SPOTS AND 360-DEGREE-VIEW

If the Hardware 4 leaks are accurate, it would suggest that Tesla would be increasing the number of cameras by two as it rolls out vehicles that are equipped with its new Autopilot computer. Comparing the existing camera setup in Hardware 3 and the potential setup of Hardware 4, it would appear that the new cameras will be those placed in the rear bumper. This may also suggest that the ultrasonic sensors that were phased out in the rear bumpers might be replaced with cameras.

Considering the potential setup of the Hardware 4 cameras, it would appear that Tesla would finally be rolling out a 360-degree view of its vehicles, which is a highly-requested feature among owners. It would also mean that some blind spots in existing cars would be addressed. Overall, Hardware 4 might not just be a step up in performance; it might also be a notable step up in safety and vision.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-hard...mera-analysis/
Old 02-17-23, 11:44 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

My significant other, aka the wife asked why I'm not looking at or considering the Model X. I showed her the price, and her eyes got wide, and she shook her head and walked away. I was hoping she would say go ahead, it's a once in a lifetime purchase we will be using over the next 10 years, but she hasn't brought it up again
Do it! They have a Y in the showroom here and I was checking it out. I feel like the seats are a little more comfortable than my car, they seem softer. I also sat in an X they have outside of the showroom, seems like a pretty cool car. If you are keeping it for 10 years I would get the X!
Old 02-17-23, 11:50 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Do it! They have a Y in the showroom here and I was checking it out. I feel like the seats are a little more comfortable than my car, they seem softer. I also sat in an X they have outside of the showroom, seems like a pretty cool car. If you are keeping it for 10 years I would get the X!
I'm seriously contemplating it. It's going to depend on what my portfolio looks like in June/July as I would have to at least finance it 50 percent from my own funds. With interest rates the way they are right now, it would be a pretty high monthly payment
Old 02-17-23, 11:55 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
that is unfortunate and too bad. It always sucks when your car breaks or has an issue. It will be interesting to see how they fix it, and how it differs from a gas car. Keep me posted if you don’t mind. I will also be interested know if they share with you the cost on the invoice and see what that would be.

good luck
Well after sitting here for 6.5 hours I just found out that my car won't be ready in the 4-6 hour time frame they said and wont be ready until Monday no now I have a loaner. I don't know why it took me to ask them what the status of my car was before they were able to offer me a loaner and tell me that it wouldn't be ready today. This is the part that frustrates me, it's simple communication. Did they just find out it wasn't going to be ready when I walked up to them to ask? Also, why not have a loaner for me when I bring the car in if you know it's going to be 4-6 hours or even longer. Did they think $100 a day ridehare credits were going to last me the weekend with my kids activities? WTF! This is even a new service center that just opened and not one of my previous service centers. Now I'm annoyed...
Old 02-17-23, 12:11 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Well after sitting here for 6.5 hours I just found out that my car won't be ready in the 4-6 hour time frame they said and wont be ready until Monday no now I have a loaner. I don't know why it took me to ask them what the status of my car was before they were able to offer me a loaner and tell me that it wouldn't be ready today. This is the part that frustrates me, it's simple communication. Did they just find out it wasn't going to be ready when I walked up to them to ask? Also, why not have a loaner for me when I bring the car in if you know it's going to be 4-6 hours or even longer. Did they think $100 a day ridehare credits were going to last me the weekend with my kids activities? WTF! This is even a new service center that just opened and not one of my previous service centers. Now I'm annoyed...
Polestar has this issue as well. Some service centers are amazing, like the Los Angeles and San Jose Polestar repair facilities, but in other states and countries, they suck and sometimes don't know what they are doing. For example next week Polestar of San Jose (actually Volvo of Palo Alto) is installing a kick sensor that opens my trunky when I use my foot, they first thing they asked me is do I need a loaner. Other Polestar owners in different states and countries have different experiences.

In your case they probably need to change a part that won't be there until Monday. They should have arranged a loaner for you just based on the time frame they quoted you in the beginning. I would file a complaint with Tesla directly
Old 02-17-23, 01:22 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Version 4 creates a whole pile of headaches for the coders, now they have to maintain a codebase for the legacy and new stuff. To what extent this will create more work I can't say but more than zero.
Old 02-17-23, 01:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

sounds like inexperience at the service dealer. They probably should’ve known better than to have you wait, or even suggest you wait. Under promising and over delivering goes a long way.

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion