EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-23, 01:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
We placed an order but I’m really nervous due to HW4 being right around the corner. If it comes and still has HW3 we will 100% not accept delivery and will have to re-order once it’s more official or guaranteed to arrive with HW4.
why not tell tesla NOW that you only want the car if it has HW4. that way THEY can plan better to accomodate you, rather than you getting all the way to the goal line and crying foul.

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Version 4 creates a whole pile of headaches for the coders, now they have to maintain a codebase for the legacy and new stuff. To what extent this will create more work I can't say but more than zero.
that's what libraries, drivers, api's and code abstraction are for. those headaches are also called a 'high paying high tech job'
Old 02-17-23, 02:07 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
why not tell tesla NOW that you only want the car if it has HW4. that way THEY can plan better to accomodate you, rather than you getting all the way to the goal line and crying foul.
Lol as if they would ever do that
Old 02-17-23, 02:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Lol as if they would ever do that
you never know. and nothing wrong with giving them a heads up. if they choose to ignore it and have him come and pick up a hw3 car, then they're just wasting his and their time and have a car that might be hard to sell. most people hate having their time wasted by car dealers (or in this case, a manufacturer).

Last edited by bitkahuna; 02-17-23 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-17-23, 03:01 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Kevin nails it.

Old 02-17-23, 03:36 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
In your case they probably need to change a part that won't be there until Monday. They should have arranged a loaner for you just based on the time frame they quoted you in the beginning. I would file a complaint with Tesla directly
They said when I got there they had all the parts for the repair. They ended up replacing the compressor and super manifold whatever that is. This was a new service center so I thought it would be better than the other two I went to previously and it’s a little closer but not by much.

I have a Model Y loaner and when I sat in the one in the showroom it was really nice with nice materials including alcantara. The one I have as a loaner isn’t as nice and very plasticky. Make sure if you get a Y you get the nicer interior.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
sounds like inexperience at the service dealer. They probably should’ve known better than to have you wait, or even suggest you wait. Under promising and over delivering goes a long way.
As mentioned above, it’s a new service center so it could be inexperience but the worst part is I got all the way home which is 45 minutes and I got a message on the app that my car was done. Had I known that I would’ve waited. I know it’s hard to estimate but 45 minutes at the end of Friday vs Monday end of day is a big gap.
Old 02-17-23, 03:52 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
They said when I got there they had all the parts for the repair. They ended up replacing the compressor and super manifold whatever that is. This was a new service center so I thought it would be better than the other two I went to previously and it’s a little closer but not by much.

I have a Model Y loaner and when I sat in the one in the showroom it was really nice with nice materials including alcantara. The one I have as a loaner isn’t as nice and very plasticky. Make sure if you get a Y you get the nicer interior.
I'm assuming this is the Dual motor long range. How does it drive?
Old 02-17-23, 04:27 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

My significant other, aka the wife asked why I'm not looking at or considering the Model X. I showed her the price, and her eyes got wide, and she shook her head and walked away. I was hoping she would say go ahead, it's a once in a lifetime purchase we will be using over the next 10 years, but she hasn't brought it up again
Haha yeah, it took us a while to get comfortable with the price too but after the recent price drop, we feel a lot better about it. Just give her some time

Originally Posted by patgilm
Well after sitting here for 6.5 hours I just found out that my car won't be ready in the 4-6 hour time frame they said and wont be ready until Monday no now I have a loaner. I don't know why it took me to ask them what the status of my car was before they were able to offer me a loaner and tell me that it wouldn't be ready today. This is the part that frustrates me, it's simple communication. Did they just find out it wasn't going to be ready when I walked up to them to ask? Also, why not have a loaner for me when I bring the car in if you know it's going to be 4-6 hours or even longer. Did they think $100 a day ridehare credits were going to last me the weekend with my kids activities? WTF! This is even a new service center that just opened and not one of my previous service centers. Now I'm annoyed...
That’s pretty messed up. I’d be so pissed. Sorry that happened to you

hahaha I wish. If only they could be so accommodating
Old 02-17-23, 04:52 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

I'm assuming this is the Dual motor long range. How does it drive?
Yes I had to look and it is the Dual Motor Long Range. It is white with white interior and has the 20” induction wheels. The interior of the loaner is just plasticky and cheap and the dash trim doesn’t wrap around to the doors and just looks and feels cheap. With that being said the same model in the showroom fixed all the cheapness and is really nice with alcantara and the dash trim wraps around to the door.

Here is what surprised me, the door buttons to open the door on the inside feel nicer and the door opens nicer than my Plaid. I also feel the seats are more comfortable. Also, I can’t believe this but the sound system is better as well and I thought my Plaid had one of the best stock sound systems I have owned.

As for driving, besides some interior rattles, it drove and handled really really nice and felt more nimble than the Plaid. I took it on a backroad and it handled really well. As for the power, it was more than adequate and surprisingly fast without being the Performance model. It’s limited to 85mph but it gets up there quick.

All in all, it’s a great car and no wonder it sells so well. It’s a hard car to beat for the price especially with the newer interior.

Last edited by patgilm; 02-17-23 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-17-23, 05:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Kevin nails it.
nails what? i started to watch but then realized it was 1/2 hr of drivel.

hahaha I wish. If only they could be so accommodating
i don't get it. you've said you'll reject it if it has hw3 in it, so why not give them a heads up that's what you intend to do? they can ignore you certainly, but nothing wrong with giving them a heads up imo.
Old 02-17-23, 05:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
Never finished, but FSD is the only thing openly called a beta.
it wasn't called a beta when it came out and one can still get fsd without being part of the beta program, right?

the whole problem from day 1 was CALLING IT "full self driving" when it ISN'T. i *want* to have full self driving, but i *don't* want to be sold something that's not there or be a beta tester when driving a car. musk bragged for years about telsas becoming 'robot taxis' to make owning one a money maker... whole thing was completely ridiculous and disingenuous.

musk is a genius, and i know he believes in hyperbole to keep tesla growing. but with the twitter fiasco and media backlash a lot of the shine has come off his cult image. but tesla's continuing to grow with mass market adoption now which is great. fsd is pretty much a distraction and i didn't read details of the 'recall' but assume tesla will have to make the cars MORE cautious in certain circumstances than ever, which may well make it more annoying and less useful than ever.

and again, i'm no anti self driving type, i *want* this, and i *want* tesla to be successful at it. but it was only a matter of time before the feds or politicians came down on tesla about it. this however, is probably the weakest slap tesla could get because no cars are actually being "recalled".
Old 02-17-23, 05:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Tesla Tops BMW For 2022 US Luxury Car Sales, And It's Not Even Close

you're just posting all the rainbows and unicorn articles about tesla, aren't you.

this headline and article are absurd.

tesla is NOT a luxury car company. it started as a novelty / status symbol and now it's rapidly becoming a mainstream brands. the model 3 and Y are absolutely positively not luxurious. their mnainstream ice counterparts have way nicer interiors unless you like driving a cardboard box. i get many like minimalism but it's more than that. the materials and fit and finish don't even match econoboxes.

what's next, an article saying tesla sells more cars than rolex sells watches? oh and tesla outsells bentley, rolls royce, and ferrari combined.

Old 02-17-23, 06:11 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

you're just posting all the rainbows and unicorn articles about tesla, aren't you.

this headline and article are absurd.

tesla is NOT a luxury car company. it started as a novelty / status symbol and now it's rapidly becoming a mainstream brands. the model 3 and Y are absolutely positively not luxurious. their mnainstream ice counterparts have way nicer interiors unless you like driving a cardboard box. i get many like minimalism but it's more than that. the materials and fit and finish don't even match econoboxes.

what's next, an article saying tesla sells more cars than rolex sells watches? oh and tesla outsells bentley, rolls royce, and ferrari combined.
I totally get that they are not a luxury brand, and I don't consider them one. That said, many publications put that label on them because they do compete with luxury brands and luxury buyers
Old 02-17-23, 06:18 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

Tesla is no more and no less a luxury brand than any other manufacturer mentioned in the article. That the author mischaracterized all of them doesn’t invalidate the underlying point - Tesla outsold key competitors. Switch luxury for premium or whatever. The outcome is the same.
Old 02-17-23, 06:42 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Tesla is no more and no less a luxury brand than any other manufacturer mentioned in the article. That the author mischaracterized all of them doesn’t invalidate the underlying point - Tesla outsold key competitors. Switch luxury for premium or whatever. The outcome is the same.
Exactly. Whether Tesla is a luxury brand or not, they sure have no problems getting customers out of Mercedes/BMW/Audi/Lexus and into their cars.

No matter how they’re classified, people are choosing them over the traditional “luxury” brands.
Old 02-17-23, 07:04 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Exactly. Whether Tesla is a luxury brand or not, they sure have no problems getting customers out of Mercedes/BMW/Audi/Lexus and into their cars.

No matter how they’re classified, people are choosing them over the traditional “luxury” brands.
That's the whole point of me posting the article. Buyers of Luxury brands are switching partly or entirely to the Model Y and Model 3. I can only interpret that as Tesla is more special than it gets credit for. Although not a luxury brand it's attracting luxury brand buyers. Two years ago one could say that some were just following a trend, but now it's beyond that as "some" has become many

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 02-17-23 at 07:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion