EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-23, 07:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
As mentioned above, it’s a new service center so it could be inexperience but the worst part is I got all the way home which is 45 minutes and I got a message on the app that my car was done. Had I known that I would’ve waited. I know it’s hard to estimate but 45 minutes at the end of Friday vs Monday end of day is a big gap.
there should just be a standard book time for a specific repair. Let’s say 5hrs…the advisor should have determined at a certain point that the repair would not be done on time. Very likely should not have advised you to wait In the first place.
Old 02-17-23, 08:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Tesla is no more and no less a luxury brand than any other manufacturer mentioned in the article.
you're saying Tesla is no less luxurious than Mercedes? not sure if serious.

Tesla outsold key competitors. Switch luxury for premium or whatever. The outcome is the same.
the vast majority of Tesla sales are model 3 and y. some people are selling their actually luxurious vehicles and getting teslas which aren't luxurious because it's the shiny new thing.
just because Tesla is getting those sales doesn't make their vehicles luxurious. if the article had hard data about people who switched from bmw/mercedes to Tesla, that would be more important.

the article says Bmw was down 5% while Tesla was up 40%, which is all silly and irrelevant, but sounds like supporting info.

not knocking tesla's sales, they're excellent.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I totally get that they are not a luxury brand, and I don't consider them one. That said, many publications put that label on them because they do compete with luxury brands and luxury buyers
glad you agree Tesla is not luxurious, and no doubt there's some 'conquest sales'. but just like apple doesn't lose much sleep about the latest Samsung android phone, I don't think Tesla could care less about those other 'luxury brands'.

That's the whole point of me posting the article. Buyers of Luxury brands are switching partly or entirely to the Model Y and Model 3.
but how many buyers? I bet people are coming out of Camrys and accords into teslas too.
Old 02-17-23, 08:17 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you're saying Tesla is no less luxurious than Mercedes? not sure if serious.

the vast majority of Tesla sales are model 3 and y. some people are selling their actually luxurious vehicles and getting teslas which aren't luxurious because it's the shiny new thing.
just because Tesla is getting those sales doesn't make their vehicles luxurious. if the article had hard data about people who switched from bmw/mercedes to Tesla, that would be more important.

the article says Bmw was down 5% while Tesla was up 40%, which is all silly and irrelevant, but sounds like supporting info.

not knocking tesla's sales, they're excellent.

glad you agree Tesla is not luxurious, and no doubt there's some 'conquest sales'. but just like apple doesn't lose much sleep about the latest Samsung android phone, I don't think Tesla could care less about those other 'luxury brands'.

but how many buyers? I bet people are coming out of Camrys and accords into teslas too.
And you would be correct because The Model Y just outsold Camry in California. I would have to go back to the article, but I believe they list BMW sales vs Model Y sales, which shows Model Y sales significantly higher than BMW sales. So either BMW sales dropped while Model Y sales increased, or BMW buyers moved to Model Y's. I can't say which scenario happened with 100 percent surety. I also can't say if this will be an ongoing trend, we will have to see
Old 02-17-23, 08:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

... I believe they list BMW sales vs Model Y sales, which shows Model Y sales significantly higher than BMW sales. So either BMW sales dropped while Model Y sales increased, or BMW buyers moved to Model Y's.
as they say, correlation does not equal causation. model y sales going up is not necessarily the cause of bmw sales going down although it's like one factor because both brands tend to attract fans of stylish shiny new things.

but if model y sales went up while sales of eggs went down, would you say tesla was the cause of eggs sale decline? don't think so.
Old 02-17-23, 08:37 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

as they say, correlation does not equal causation. model y sales going up is not necessarily the cause of bmw sales going down although it's like one factor because both brands tend to attract fans of stylish shiny new things.

but if model y sales went up while sales of eggs went down, would you say tesla was the cause of eggs sale decline? don't think so.
It's not me coming to that conclusion. There are several publications publishing this. I'm not saying one way or another that they are correct, but I lean that they are. If I find out to the contrary, I will 100 percent post it here, as I may be guilty of being a Tesla fan, but I also believe in the truth, even if it makes Tesla look bad

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 02-17-23 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-17-23, 08:37 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

Totally serious. You can get into a Lexus, Audi, Mercedes or BMW for the same or less than the cost of a model 3. Lexus tops out well below all the others. Tesla is on the cusp of releasing a 250k vehicle. Lines are forever blurred. Whether you like it or not, they all occupy the same premium to luxury space and they are all competing for the same customers and the same dollars.
Old 02-17-23, 08:39 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Peope cross shop BMW and Tesla all the time.
Not so sure about eggs, but I hear they are pretty expensive nowadays.

By the way, the lux car companies are scared of Tesla. Tesla is eating their lunch.
Old 02-17-23, 09:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

It actually works pretty well for a beta. I know several people who have it. They use it on trips and sometimes in stop and go traffic. Tesla has been collecting data for years
doesn't matter. spending 12k on something that's still beta -- that's how i see it. i don't think anyone paid 12k for beta, it's simply a promise that tesla can't achieve yet (and still long way from).
Old 02-17-23, 10:43 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
doesn't matter. spending 12k on something that's still beta -- that's how i see it. i don't think anyone paid 12k for beta, it's simply a promise that tesla can't achieve yet (and still long way from).
Oh I'm with you, I would never buy it. They will usually offer it to you at a discount if don't opt for it when you go to pick up your car. When my brother in law went to pick up his Model 3 in November they offered it to him for $6k. He smartly declined
Old 02-17-23, 11:54 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
its 15K now... lol
better to just subscribe it for $199/month on times you need it, like road-trips
Old 02-18-23, 04:35 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

the vast majority of Tesla sales are model 3 and y.
Maybe so, but their average transaction price clearly falls in line with luxury brands, higher than many even. What defines luxury is subjective, but there's no question that people are paying luxury car prices for Tesla.

https://www.coxautoinc.com/wp-conten...ata-tables.pdf

Last edited by Motorola; 02-18-23 at 04:40 AM.
Old 02-18-23, 06:02 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Totally serious. You can get into a Lexus, Audi, Mercedes or BMW for the same or less than the cost of a model 3. Lexus tops out well below all the others. Tesla is on the cusp of releasing a 250k vehicle. Lines are forever blurred. Whether you like it or not, they all occupy the same premium to luxury space and they are all competing for the same customers and the same dollars.
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Peope cross shop BMW and Tesla all the time.
Originally Posted by Motorola
Maybe so, but their average transaction price clearly falls in line with luxury brands, higher than many even. ..but there's no question that people are paying luxury car prices for Tesla.
https://www.coxautoinc.com/wp-conten...ata-tables.pdf
True. Their model works. But how does the sale number change the definition of luxury? Selling more doesn't make one more luxurious. Cars, watches, clothes... are all the same. Luxury is luxury.
What defines luxury is subjective..
What defines importance is subjective is a more accurate statement. Tesla certainly has features that others lack but luxury is for sure not one.
Old 02-18-23, 06:16 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Cars, watches, clothes... are all the same. Luxury is luxury.
Not really. Take Japan, for them wool is far more luxurious than leather. That's why the Toyota Century has wool seats. Try that here in the U.S. and people would balk at it. Or how about in China, where MPV's are considered the most luxurious status symbols above limousines. Try selling the Lexus LM in the US at its $200K pricetag and see how many people buy them.

Luxury in cars used to mean cow hides and wood. Then it meant handling and ride refinement. Then it meant high-end technology. And these aspects will continue to change as they are defined by what people are willing to pay. Luxury is simply what's above and beyond what is necessary, and there are many attributes to a Tesla that are well above and beyond your average vehicle that I obviously don't need to repeat. Ultimately it's nothing more than semantics that has no meaning to anyone buying these vehicles, all they see is a sticker and brand. A base model C Class barely has more creature comforts than a Model 3 but most in the U.S. would still consider it a luxury vehicle.

Last edited by Motorola; 02-18-23 at 06:22 AM.
Old 02-18-23, 07:07 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Not really. Take Japan, for them wool is far more luxurious than leather. That's why the Toyota Century has wool seats. Try that here in the U.S. and people would balk at it. Or how about in China, where MPV's are considered the most luxurious status symbols above limousines. Try selling the Lexus LM in the US at its $200K pricetag and see how many people buy them.

Luxury in cars used to mean cow hides and wood. Then it meant handling and ride refinement. Then it meant high-end technology. And these aspects will continue to change as they are defined by what people are willing to pay. Luxury is simply what's above and beyond what is necessary, and there are many attributes to a Tesla that are well above and beyond your average vehicle that I obviously don't need to repeat. Ultimately it's nothing more than semantics that has no meaning to anyone buying these vehicles, all they see is a sticker and brand. A base model C Class barely has more creature comforts than a Model 3 but most in the U.S. would still consider it a luxury vehicle.
Uhmm...
Now we crossed borders. Of course one thing is considered luxury here is not in another country/culture. But we're talking about luxury as being in the US, right?
Wool and leather still serve the same purpose but the items at discussion between Tesla and others do not, right? What about being able to pick and choose different options? Is that not considered luxury? You can't even get painted fender flares on a model X. By definition, luxury is "the state of great comfort and extravagant living." Are we changing the definition?
IMO, those who don't think Tesla is luxury would not think a C class is either.
What above and beyond does a designer shirt or Rolex have over a Target shirt or Seiko?
Old 02-18-23, 07:23 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Uhmm...
Now we crossed borders. Of course one thing is considered luxury here is not in another country/culture. But we're talking about luxury as being in the US, right?
Wool and leather still serve the same purpose but the items at discussion between Tesla and others do not, right? What about being able to pick and choose different options? Is that not considered luxury? You can't even get painted fender flares on a model X. By definition, luxury is "the state of great comfort and extravagant living." Are we changing the definition?
IMO, those who don't think Tesla is luxury would not think a C class is either.
What above and beyond does a designer shirt or Rolex have over a Target shirt or Seiko?
Why limit it to the U.S.? Tesla is sold globally too. And customization is a weak argument since none of the Asian brands offer build to order customization and very few people use it for the German brands unless they go to Porsche levels. Most people will buy whatever stock is available on dealer lots, and Tesla not having dealership haggling may even be considered a luxury to some as pointed above lol.

I guarantee you any layman would consider a C Class a luxury vehicle over an Accord or Camry. Yet here on these boards you see the Model 3 being compared to a Corolla at times.

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion