EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-23, 07:32 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

The reason Tesla is eating luxury cars lunch is they all turned their cars into Tesla clones with the no button interiors and Alibaba ipad screens! BMW even eliminated the gear shifter in the 3 series lol

The build quality and interior materials on new luxury cars is much worse than the generation prior. New Sclass is perfect example. Bmw has removed ton of features for 2023 while raising prices etc.

Teslas are much cheaper and are considered cool so ppl are ditching their Cclass or 3series for them.
Old 02-18-23, 08:54 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Im just a data point, but I just got rid of my BMW X1 for a Model Y after the price decrease. And I was shopping it against the Q4 Etron or even contemplating on the new X1 EV if/when it made it to the US.
Old 02-18-23, 09:15 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
I guarantee you any layman would consider a C Class a luxury vehicle over an Accord or Camry. Yet here on these boards you see the Model 3 being compared to a Corolla at times.
To be fair, Model 3 is comparable to Camry/Accord. That's my opinion but 3ers don't seem to think so. I wonder what they think is a reasonable brand/model to compare to.

Originally Posted by RXSF
Im just a data point, but I just got rid of my BMW X1 for a Model Y after the price decrease. And I was shopping it against the Q4 Etron or even contemplating on the new X1 EV if/when it made it to the US.
Does it mean... "people leave BMW for Tesla... because they get more bang for their buck" or "Model Y and X1 are comparable"?
Old 02-18-23, 12:02 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
To be fair, Model 3 is comparable to Camry/Accord. That's my opinion but 3ers don't seem to think so. I wonder what they think is a reasonable brand/model to compare to.

Does it mean... "people leave BMW for Tesla... because they get more bang for their buck" or "Model Y and X1 are comparable"?
I've probably owned and driven more Camry's than most people on CL (still have one), and although I agree with you that the Model 3 is not "luxury", it's superior to Camry and Accords IMHO. I'm talking the V6 Camry...their 4 cylinder is barely tolerable. The base model 3 rwd is almost $10K more expensive than a fully loaded Camry XSE V6, I would take it over the Camry every single day of the week. BTW, I still love the V6 Camry
Old 02-18-23, 12:54 PM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The reason Tesla is eating luxury cars lunch is they all turned their cars into Tesla clones with the no button interiors and Alibaba ipad screens! BMW even eliminated the gear shifter in the 3 series lol

The build quality and interior materials on new luxury cars is much worse than the generation prior. New Sclass is perfect example. Bmw has removed ton of features for 2023 while raising prices etc.

Teslas are much cheaper and are considered cool so ppl are ditching their Cclass or 3series for them.
100%. Why buy an imitation when you can buy the real thing cheaper?

If they stick to quality interiors, that would have been the differentiator.

Teslas dominance has much to do what other brands are doing, without Tesla doing anything special themselves.
Old 02-18-23, 03:01 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
doesn't matter. spending 12k on something that's still beta -- that's how i see it. i don't think anyone paid 12k for beta, it's simply a promise that tesla can't achieve yet (and still long way from).
So I had my first experience with FSD today in my Model Y loaner. It wasn’t bad but like any driver assistance it still is just ok, still finicky and shut off at one point. There were also a few times I had to correct it which basically shuts it off and you have to set it again. To me the regular autopilot is enough and if I spent $12k-$15k I would be pissed. To each their own…
Old 02-18-23, 05:01 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Not Tesla related, but it's EV related. How are they able to charge so much?! Does anyone foresee this being an issue once EV charging becomes more widespread? This is insane!

Old 02-18-23, 05:05 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GFerg
Not Tesla related, but it's EV related. How are they able to charge so much?! Does anyone foresee this being an issue once EV charging becomes more widespread? This is insane!

Lol that's insane 🤣. I don't know where this is, but I would have just drove to an EA where the non member guest price is .44 cents per kWh. I would roughly estimate that more than $20 a gallon lol
Old 02-18-23, 05:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Just wait until the municipalities add taxes…and then “connection” fees.
Old 02-18-23, 05:12 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

But to think that these companies have the power to gouge prices this high is concerning no? Chances of this happening is probably very low but what's stopping others to follow and charge crazy high prices during a "peak" period.
Old 02-18-23, 05:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

But to think that these companies have the power to gouge prices this high is concerning no? Chances of this happening is probably very low but what's stopping others to follow and charge crazy high prices during a "peak" period.
Free market. In Canada. The charging rates jumped 70% overnight.
Old 02-18-23, 05:20 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Free market. In Canada. The charging rates jumped 70% overnight.
Yup. Sheesh. All we need is even more regulation. I don't know what it's like to own an EV yet, but seeing that is very Cringe.
Old 02-18-23, 05:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yup. Sheesh. All we need is even more regulation. I don't know what it's like to own an EV yet, but seeing that is very Cringe.

right now. It’s $.50 a minute to charge.

“When you join us along Canada’s Electric Highway, pay $0.50 per minute while you charge, with no connection or idling fees,”
Any form of regulation will just make things more expensive.

Consumer Reports says it is cheaper to fuel a hybrid than it is to charge a EV on the east coast in Boston areas

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-18-23 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-18-23, 05:40 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I've owned and been traveling with EV'S for the last two years and I have no idea who Blink is. The big charging companies like EA and EVgo etc that the majority of EV owners use have been charging the same rate. I would compare this to driving through a small town and stopping at the only mom and pop gas station and paying $8 a gallon and $5 for a bag of Doritos 😅
Old 02-18-23, 05:42 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Funny you say that, I got a text today from a friend that is traveling down to North Carolina with his Model 3P and he mentioned that since he has been paying for charging while traveling he said the savings weren’t much compared to gas with the range he is getting. He is saving money but it’s not much. I think charging at home is best.

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion