EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-23, 08:56 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
True. Their model works. But how does the sale number change the definition of luxury? Selling more doesn't make one more luxurious. Cars, watches, clothes... are all the same. Luxury is luxury.

What defines importance is subjective is a more accurate statement. Tesla certainly has features that others lack but luxury is for sure not one.
What you or I consider Tesla does not matter. The market considers Tesla a luxury car. We are, of course, free to buy what we want.
Old 02-19-23, 01:56 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
It's about $4 at our local Costco, but when traveling between SF and LA it can past $6 a gallon.

I just saw my friends Model Y today, I think that's what I'm going to buy. It has a bit more room than the Model 3, which is BTW pretty roomy
Model Y has a really spacious interior, especially given the exterior dimensions. It is packaged incredibly well and has so much space for people and cargo. The fully flat floor in the rear seats and all the space under the front seats and center console really make it a pleasant experience back there. I’ve never been able to so freely move my legs and feet around in the back seat of a car. Headroom is great too. I’m 6’4” and can sit in the back seat behind myself with a little bit of headroom to spare.
Old 02-19-23, 05:30 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Did you know Telsa charges an idling fee of $.50 to $1 per minute if you don’t move your car when finished?
Great idea, as mentioned they're not parking spots.
Old 02-19-23, 09:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
Model Y has a really spacious interior, especially given the exterior dimensions. It is packaged incredibly well and has so much space for people and cargo. The fully flat floor in the rear seats and all the space under the front seats and center console really make it a pleasant experience back there. I’ve never been able to so freely move my legs and feet around in the back seat of a car. Headroom is great too. I’m 6’4” and can sit in the back seat behind myself with a little bit of headroom to spare.
it's definitely got lots of space for its size! but i just went to look at the model Y info on Tesla's website, and the only way to see what actual features the car has in detail is to read the manual on the site. the site doesn't show what actual specs you get with a model except for headline features and options.

for example, the manual mentions heated steering wheel "if equipped" and hepa filter "if equipped" but no mention of whether you get those features of not and what trim to get them, etc.

and i guess you can't get cooled seats on a tesla Y, which is ridiculous as many economy cars off that now.

and i still wish it offered android auto / apple carplay.

oh and a heads up display to make up the lack of gauges in front of the driver.

a model Y will be in the running for a replacement for my hyundai suv next year though, since it's just a work vehicle, i can live without certain creature comforts.
Old 02-19-23, 10:28 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's definitely got lots of space for its size! but i just went to look at the model Y info on Tesla's website, and the only way to see what actual features the car has in detail is to read the manual on the site. the site doesn't show what actual specs you get with a model except for headline features and options.

for example, the manual mentions heated steering wheel "if equipped" and hepa filter "if equipped" but no mention of whether you get those features of not and what trim to get them, etc.

and i guess you can't get cooled seats on a tesla Y, which is ridiculous as many economy cars off that now.

a model Y will be in the running for a replacement for my hyundai suv next year though, since it's just a work vehicle, i can live without certain creature comforts.
The newer interior is much nicer than the previous. The model I had as a loaner didn’t have a heated steering wheel which I did miss. What I missed most is what you sort of mentioned is having some of the drivers info in a gauge cluster or HUD. Without it the information that I have in my Plaid is right in front of me and without that cluster is shows up on the center screen taking up a decent amount of real estate. It was also weird driving at night without anything in front of you, it’s just a dark empty space behind the steering wheel.

The sad thing is there are some things on the Model Y that are better than the refreshed Model S which is sad given the price difference. The stalks were so nice and the little wheel controls on the steering wheel were much easier to use, they were grippier and not as stiff as the ones in my car.
Old 02-19-23, 10:39 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

I'm going to make this bet that if you do decide to replace your Hyundai with a Model Y, it's going to go from your "work" vehicle to your all around everyday vehicle. When I leased my Polestar (which is inferior to the Model Y) it was going to be my daily commuter while my IS350 (which was a lot more comfortable than the Polestar) was going to be my weekend/trip car. Well strangely enough I found myself barely driving the IS to the point where I decided to sell it.

BTW everyone I know who has the Model Y has all 5 heated seats and heated steering wheel

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 02-19-23 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-19-23, 10:54 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

I thought exactly like you before as well (AA, HUD, etc., Well except for cooled seats &#128513. I don't have any regrets on those fronts (I actually never used the HID on my Zupra intentionally lol).

The only thing I did kind of miss is a bit more luxury/uniqueness in the interior to set it apart.

However, the power/drive is what hooked me in.

I would also suggest you look at the GV EVs as they might be more of what you're after (and accustomed too as a prior Hyundai owner).

Old 02-19-23, 01:17 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by signdetres
Model Y has a really spacious interior, especially given the exterior dimensions. It is packaged incredibly well and has so much space for people and cargo. The fully flat floor in the rear seats and all the space under the front seats and center console really make it a pleasant experience back there. I’ve never been able to so freely move my legs and feet around in the backseat of a car. Headroom is great too. I’m 6’4” and can sit in the back seat behind myself with a little bit of headroom to spare.
Haha I'm about almost a foot shorter than you (5' 6") so headroom is definitely not a problem. Friday I sat in my friends 2023 Y and the interior is very nice, comfortable. Plenty of room and all 5 seats are spacious. Since I do a lot of trips to SoCal, this would not only be a great daily commuter, but an awesome family trip car. He's already done two trips to SoCal and it's event free and no different than when he took his ICE vehicles in the past...except now he had a ton of instant torque, a smooth quiet ride and over 100 MPGe efficiency

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 02-19-23 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-19-23, 02:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ST430
I thought exactly like you before as well (AA, HUD, etc., Well except for cooled seats &#128513. I don't have any regrets on those fronts (I actually never used the HID on my Zupra intentionally lol).
The only thing I did kind of miss is a bit more luxury/uniqueness in the interior to set it apart.
However, the power/drive is what hooked me in.
for a work vehicle i don't care that much about it being super fast. i carry quite a bit of gear most times and don't need it flying around the interior.

I would also suggest you look at the GV EVs as they might be more of what you're after (and accustomed too as a prior Hyundai owner).
thanks. i'm also a prior genesis (g90) owner (well, lessee) too so i've had the enjoyment of that great interior.

hyundai/genesis are obviously on the radar too, with genesis more so because i think the hyunda/kia interiors aren't that great, but then as my work car, again, i'm not that concerned. having said that, my hyundai suv has nappa leather, just about every normal feature out there and additional unique ones besides.
doing all these things through one... big... screen... is not very appealing.
Old 02-19-23, 03:02 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Anyway, back to Tesla news!

Tesla is reportedly considering purchasing Sigma Lithium, a Brazillian lithium mining company, for an estimated $3 billion.

Tesla and its CEO Elon Musk have shown a continued interest in the extraction and refinement of lithium over the past five years. With the company’s exponentially growing demand for the substance, and its alacrity to vertically integrate, a corporate purchase of a lithium miner certainly is within its MO. But now, Tesla may be closer than ever to such a purchase, as Bloomberg reports that the automaker is exploring purchasing Sigma Lithium for $3 billion.

Sigma Lithium is one of the largest lithium extractors in South America, thanks in large part to what the company calls “the largest hard rock lithium deposit in the Americas.” Located in the South Eastern State of Minas Genrias, the massive mining operation has been in operation since 2018. Importantly to Tesla, Sigma’s proximity to the Atlantic coast means its extracted lithium can easily be shipped across the globe.

Simga Lithium has not responded to Teslarati or Bloomberg regarding the potential sale, and representatives of Tesla CEO Elon Musk refused to comment to Bloomberg on what they called “rumors.”

Following the leak in information, shares of Sigma Lithium on the NASDAQ exploded by more than 25% in after-market trading.

What makes the Sigma acquisition potentially highly attractive to Tesla, besides its proximity to the coast, is its growth potential. According to Sigma Lithium’s website, it plans to increase output to 270,000 metric tonnes of lithium annually, with the more distant goal of producing 766,000 metric tonnes of lithium annually in the coming years. Furthermore, with a nearby abundant supply of water and hydropower on the Jequitinhonha River, the operation can achieve this growth at a lower cost than other operations.

With the acquisition of Sigma Lithium, Tesla would only be a couple of steps away from a completely vertically integrated lithium supply chain. Tesla already produces its own battery cells, and with an upcoming lithium refining facility in Corpus Christi, Texas, raw lithium from Sigma’s operation in Brazil could help the automaker continue to tame battery costs.

With Tesla’s profit margins becoming the envy of the auto industry, we may see an ever-increasing number of automakers moving into lithium extraction and refining. However, with the expertise and property holdings that mining companies currently possess, this move could come at the astronomical cost of a corporate acquisition. It remains unclear if other automakers will follow in Tesla’s footsteps.

William is a shareholder in Tesla but does not control any shares of Sigma Lithium or its subsidiaries.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-sigm...purchase-2023/

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 02-19-23 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-19-23, 05:55 PM
ST430
Pole Position

I'm curious...do you say the same thing about gas prices, which always jumps at th slightest whims of production cuts, refinery incidentss, or Putin "accidentally" farting on some other countries turf?

What I like about EVs is that I am (mostly) in control of my fuel costs. I have solar, can charge free at my work, and also have a (limited) free supercharging as well.

once we think in thos terms about controlling our own energy independence, I think EV makes even more sense.

Originally Posted by GFerg
But to think that these companies have the power to gouge prices this high is concerning no? Chances of this happening is probably very low but what's stopping others to follow and charge crazy high prices during a "peak" period.
Old 02-19-23, 06:19 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I'm curious...do you say the same thing about gas prices, which always jumps at th slightest whims of production cuts, refinery incidentss, or Putin "accidentally" farting on some other countries turf?

What I like about EVs is that I am (mostly) in control of my fuel costs. I have solar, can charge free at my work, and also have a (limited) free supercharging as well.

once we think in thos terms about controlling our own energy independence, I think EV makes even more sense.

Here are my last 4 Super Charging sessions when I travelled to SoCal and back, a total of 786 miles:

I think if people want to know what it actually costs to daily drive and charging costs, they should ask actual EV owners on this site, we would know best because we live with EV's every day. Finding some obscure social media posts doesn't paint an accurate picture at all and can potentially spread misinformation

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 02-19-23 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-19-23, 07:43 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Fyi HW4 is out in the wild! new Model X Plaid owner notice the new cameras in the headlights!

Kinda glad I waited now, as I'm sure they'll be discounting older HW3 models. Personally, I don't care, as I don't use FSD, but do care about $$$ (I'm seeing some go for $10k off now!).

Old 02-19-23, 07:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

you spend time charging at a supercharger pretty much every day? even if it's free i don't want to do that!
Old 02-19-23, 07:51 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

I’ll share some charging stats in case this is helpful for anyone.

These are for November, December and January. In November, we drove from Missouri to Colorado and back, hence the higher supercharger use and higher cost overall.

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion