EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-23 | 07:57 PM
signdetres
Racer

Originally Posted by ST430
Fyi HW4 is out in the wild! new Model X Plaid owner notice the new cameras in the headlights!

Kinda glad I waited now, as I'm sure they'll be discounting older HW3 models. Personally, I don't care, as I don't use FSD, but do care about $$$ (I'm seeing some go for $10k off now!).

Woah, this is exciting! Where did you find this??
Old 02-19-23 | 08:48 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by signdetres
I’ll share some charging stats in case this is helpful for anyone.

These are for November, December and January. In November, we drove from Missouri to Colorado and back, hence the higher supercharger use and higher cost overall.

Based on rough calculations, you paid about .26 cents per kWh travelling using Fast Charging and .11 cents per kWh when charging from home

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 02-19-23 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-19-23 | 10:25 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Here's my home charging of two EV'S over the last 30 days:

At 0.14 cents per kWh, I spent $86.66. If you round it off, $90. Mostly my son, he drives the Ioniq which has a smaller battery (38 kWh) so he has to plug it in every night. I charge about every 5 days or so

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 02-19-23 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-20-23 | 06:28 AM
1111GS

I was reading about the fatal Tesla crash on I-680 in CA. What do you Tesla folks think about the possible cause for this accident? Of course driver is always part of it. But could it be self driving or is it not possible? Some say self driving would slow down. Or is it a SW glitch?
Old 02-20-23 | 07:27 AM
signdetres
Racer

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I was reading about the fatal Tesla crash on I-680 in CA. What do you Tesla folks think about the possible cause for this accident? Of course driver is always part of it. But could it be self driving or is it not possible? Some say self driving would slow down. Or is it a SW glitch?
I’d guess the driver wasn’t paying attention like they should have been. They trusted the system too much, became inattentive and distracted, the car encountered a scenario it didn’t know how to respond to and well… you know how it ended.
Old 02-20-23 | 09:17 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Well we know how it unfortunately ended, but we don’t yet have details on the cause. So still TBD if it was driver error, software error, some other unfortunate combination of circumstances or something else. One thing we do know is that if it were (almost) any other make of car then this incident would barely make the news (albeit there has been noise related to Tesla and emergency vehicles, but no confirmation I’m aware of that the normalized incidence of such cases is greater with Tesla than it is with other makes). Because it’s a Tesla, however, the software is almost always presumed guilty until found innocent.
Old 02-20-23 | 09:19 AM
RXSF

Originally Posted by swajames
Well we know how it unfortunately ended, but we don’t yet have details on the cause. So still TBD if it was driver error, software error, some other unfortunate combination of circumstances or something else. One thing we do know is that if it were (almost) any other make of car then this incident would barely make the news (albeit there has been noise related to Tesla and emergency vehicles, but no confirmation I’m aware of that the normalized incidence of such cases is greater with Tesla than it is with other makes). Because it’s a Tesla, however, the software is almost always presumed guilty until found innocent.
quoted for truth. Every article about this crash automatically mentions the recent FSD "recall" even before they know about the actual cause of accident. shameful journalism.
Old 02-20-23 | 09:22 AM
1111GS

Same question posed and it's valid but other cars do not have full autopilot so it's driver's fault, end of discussion. No? Does this car have pre collision warning/interfering?
Old 02-20-23 | 09:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Same question posed and it's valid but other cars do not have full autopilot so it's driver's fault, end of discussion. No? Does this car have pre collision warning/interfering?
I like this argument.
Old 02-20-23 | 10:52 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I drive the 680 regularly, and this freeway is notorious for people driving crazy, especially in the early hours. People drive drunk, race, and generally drive nuts. There are accidents and fatalities almost every weekend. Everything from Honda Civics to Dodge Chargers to Toyota Camrys. One Tesla and it's suddenly news. Although we don't know the cause, like the driver could have been drunk.

Although Tesla's do have safety software and pre collision that aids in preventing accidents, there is no software that can protect against stupid

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 02-20-23 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-20-23 | 01:56 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Today my daughter and I were walking the dog in the neighborhood, and I noticed the number of brand new Model Y's in our neighbor's driveways. Counted at least six in the immediate area with the temp license plates. One of my neighbors was outside doing some gardening and he told me he recently sold his 2021 X5 shortly after getting delivery of his Y. We also saw a lot of Y's driving by. I'm just seeing these things pop up everywhere!
Old 02-20-23 | 04:12 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

The possibilities are endless. Could it have been a software issue? Sure. Could it be a damaged tire? Excessibe speed? Impairment? What about road conditions? Combination of factors? Hopefully we will find out.
The car hit a fire truck; drivers are advised to slow when approaching a fire truck. Sounds like this did not happen. There is no more local news at this time.

Last edited by JeffKeryk; 02-20-23 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-20-23 | 10:49 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

To be fair, Model 3 is comparable to Camry/Accord. That's my opinion but 3ers don't seem to think so. I wonder what they think is a reasonable brand/model to compare to.
Oh, so a 3 Series and C-Class can also be compared to a Camry then.
Old 02-21-23 | 08:13 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

The big brained gubbermint geniuses are now forcing Tesla to never go over the speed limit this is going to cause so much road rage. They've already been forced to not do rolling stops which everyone does. That is going to cause accidents.
Old 02-21-23 | 08:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
The big brained gubbermint geniuses are now forcing Tesla to never go over the speed limit this is going to cause so much road rage. They've already been forced to not do rolling stops which everyone does. That is going to cause accidents.
you're so in favor of tesla, why shouldn't their 'big brained' vehicles obey traffic laws?

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion