EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-23, 09:32 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Thousands of Tesla Model 3s spotted as new model production looms

Thousands of right-hand-drive Teslas have been spotted at the port in Shanghai with many bound for Australian shores. It was spotted in the latest Tesla Shanghai video from a drone operator Wu Wa on YouTube.

This is slightly unusual as many of these vehicles should already be on ships heading our way.

In the video description, Wu Wa rightly points out that export production has ended but there are still many right-hand-drive Teslas still to be loaded onto ships:

“Export production has ended for the time being this quarter, and Tesla from Shanghai port has been shipped in batches to Europe and other places, and now there is still a right-hand drive Tesla left parked at the site waiting for shipping,” he says.

Tesla produces cars differently from many other automotive manufacturers by having production batched in quarters.

Since all of Tesla’s vehicles in Australia currently come from China, these have to be produced in the beginning to mid quarter so they can make it to our shores on time for customer deliveries within the quarter.

Wu Wa follows this up by mentioning that these would be the last produced batch for the current Tesla Model 3 as the best-selling EV maker’s factory in Shanghai is being upgraded in preparation for the new Tesla Model 3 version.

“Now the Shanghai factory is being upgraded for the new Model 3, Shanghai port parked Model 3 may be the last batch… And the previous production of MODEL 3 mostly overseas orders.”

The new Tesla Model 3 will make the nearly five-year-old model much more compelling. As per previous reports, there are some significant interior and exterior changes coming as part of this upgrade.

One of these changes on the interior was recently reported by a Tesla enthusiast and news source, Chris Zheng, on Twitter. This was the removal of the iconic wood trim on the inside of every Tesla Model 3 and Model Y delivered to Australian customers.

Very little is known about the exact timing of this change which is similar to how Tesla has made significant changes on the fly in the past. We do expect to get more details on this change this week from Tesla directly at the upcoming investor day.

Tesla is keeping things under wrap quite well given how much speculation there is around the updated Tesla Model 3.

With only a few nights’ sleep left, there may be more that comes out on this update with thousands of already produced right-hand-drive Tesla Model 3s in Shanghai making it to our shores in the coming months. Every EV we can get in Australia will help our decarbonising efforts.

Tesla continues to make great strides in manufacturing more affordable EVs, in a way only seen once before in the automotive industry. That was with the launch of the Ford Model T which was well over 100 years ago. It feels like history is about to repeat itself, only this time, it’s going to be all-electric.

https://thedriven.io/2023/02/27/thou...duction-looms/
Old 02-27-23, 05:57 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

This is it:

https://www.carscoops.com/2023/02/te...-investor-day/
Old 02-27-23, 06:04 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
I was going to post a similar article today, but I feel like I reached my daily Tesla quota . Excited to find out if this will actually be announced on investor day
Old 02-27-23, 07:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

thread should be renamed "Tesla PR"
Old 02-27-23, 07:58 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
thread should be renamed "Tesla PR"
And to think, people accuse Tesla of not having a PR department
Old 02-27-23, 08:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

about that carscoops article about investor day and the model 2 perhaps being targeted at china...
well that just means china will use their own and import EVEN MORE COAL AND OIL AND GAS!

https://www.globalxetfs.com/china-se...alysis-energy/

ev's are great, but without vast solar/wind/hydro (and nuclear) we are NOWHERE NEAR lessening our dependence on fossil fuels, even if you'll no longer put 'gas' in the car.
but out of sight out of mind, i guess. :dunno
Old 02-27-23, 08:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
And to think, people accuse Tesla of not having a PR department
they don't need one with loyal fans such as yourself.
Old 02-27-23, 08:13 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

they don't need one with loyal fans such as yourself.
I wear that comment like a badge of honor
Old 02-28-23, 05:36 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

about that carscoops article about investor day and the model 2 perhaps being targeted at china...
well that just means china will use their own and import EVEN MORE COAL AND OIL AND GAS!

https://www.globalxetfs.com/china-se...alysis-energy/

ev's are great, but without vast solar/wind/hydro (and nuclear) we are NOWHERE NEAR lessening our dependence on fossil fuels, even if you'll no longer put 'gas' in the car.
but out of sight out of mind, i guess. :dunno
"Out of sight out of mind" certainly implies a lot of negativity towards EV owners. You have to understand there are other reasons for owning an EV.
- No maintenance (no oil changes, brakes can last 100k miles, no 30k/60k/90k service intervals). The indy shop I took both of our ICE vehicles to was 15 miles away and only open M-F. Drive one way, drop the car off, and either Uber home or Uber to a rental car place nearby depending on how long they'd have it. Big hassle that just comes with the territory of traditional car ownership (unless you go to Lexus dealer and get a loaner, but I don't care for my Lexus dealer)
- The car gets better over time with software updates
- Always waking up to a car that is "full" is amazing. No stops at a gas station. No wondering if my wife (who hates going to the gas station) is leaving me with a car that'll barely make it to a gas station when I don't really have time to stop at one.
- Driving dynamics are simply unmatched by an ICE vehicle
- Technology and user interface are light years ahead of my ICE preferred brand (Lexus)

I didn't buy an EV for any reason other than those listed above and I'm not in the minority.
Old 02-28-23, 06:24 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
"Out of sight out of mind" certainly implies a lot of negativity towards EV owners. You have to understand there are other reasons for owning an EV.
- No maintenance (no oil changes, brakes can last 100k miles, no 30k/60k/90k service intervals). The indy shop I took both of our ICE vehicles to was 15 miles away and only open M-F. Drive one way, drop the car off, and either Uber home or Uber to a rental car place nearby depending on how long they'd have it. Big hassle that just comes with the territory of traditional car ownership (unless you go to Lexus dealer and get a loaner, but I don't care for my Lexus dealer)
- Always waking up to a car that is "full" is amazing. No stops at a gas station. No wondering if my wife (who hates going to the gas station) is leaving me with a car that'll barely make it to a gas station when I don't really have time to stop at one.
- Technology and user interface are light years ahead of my ICE preferred brand (Lexus)

I didn't buy an EV for any reason other than those listed above and I'm not in the minority.
Amen to that!👍👍 Same reasons why I ditched my ICE car
Old 02-28-23, 07:45 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 703
how do we know he is not paid for micro-influencing marketing or disguised marketing? It’s a $12+ billion dollar market and growing exponentially.
You caught me bro. The influencers and micro market conglomerates paid me off...
Old 02-28-23, 07:47 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

Looks like this model2 will be announced for China first, and word is the Mexico plant will be commissioned to make that car/SUV for the US market to get the tax credit. That one car can shake up the US new car market. Right now, the manufacturers have essentially abandoned the low end of the market. The average new car price is $49K, loan payment numbers are insane, the middle class is essentially being priced out of the new car market, and the auto manufacturers don't care because they and the dealers make more money selling less cars at higher prices and over MSRP. US yearly car sales used to be 17 million and in 2022 I think it was 13.9 million, and that's not all due to just supply chain issues - its the prices. Get a basic EV out there below 30K, that's still viewed as "chic" and "high tech", and it will sell. Might even entice young people to get driver's licenses - many of them don't even bother getting a driver's license anymore.
Old 02-28-23, 08:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley

good post and makes perfect sense. my point is even if the world is suddenly all driving ev's, that's going to require using VAST amounts of fossil fuels (especially coal in places like china) in power plants, because the world stupidly rejected nuclear and wind and solar only get you so far.
Old 02-28-23, 08:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
Looks like this model2 will be announced for China first, and word is the Mexico plant will be commissioned to make that car/SUV for the US market to get the tax credit. That one car can shake up the US new car market. Right now, the manufacturers have essentially abandoned the low end of the market. The average new car price is $49K, loan payment numbers are insane, the middle class is essentially being priced out of the new car market, and the auto manufacturers don't care because they and the dealers make more money selling less cars at higher prices and over MSRP. US yearly car sales used to be 17 million and in 2022 I think it was 13.9 million, and that's not all due to just supply chain issues - its the prices. Get a basic EV out there below 30K, that's still viewed as "chic" and "high tech", and it will sell. Might even entice young people to get driver's licenses - many of them don't even bother getting a driver's license anymore.
great post.

yes, the ICE car companies have had it pretty good for so long, and EVs are the disruption needed to really shake things up. as charging infrastructure improves and costs come down, ICE sales are in real trouble.
Old 02-28-23, 09:44 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Chinese state-run media warned Tesla CEO Elon Musk that he was risking his relationship with China after he retweeted about the U.S. government’s “low-confidence” assessment that the Covid pandemic originated in a Wuhan laboratory.

A Chinese state-run newspaper issued a warning to Tesla CEO Elon Musk after he shared reporting on the U.S. Department of Energy’s “low confidence” assessment that the global Covid pandemic originated in a Wuhan laboratory.

CNBC’s Eunice Yoon reported Tuesday morning on the warning from the social media pages of the Global Times, the English-language subsidiary of the CCP-controlled People’s Daily. The Global Times warned Musk that he could be “breaking the pot of China” after the Tesla and Twitter CEO responded to tweets that asserted that the Covid pandemic originated in a Wuhan research laboratory.
The saying is akin to the idiom “to bite the hand that feeds you,” Yoon reported. Tesla has an expansive factory campus in Shanghai, and China is the electric vehicle manufacturer’s second largest market.

The Department of Energy concluded with “low confidence” that the Covid pandemic began in a Wuhan laboratory, but sources familiar with the matter stressed to NBC News that the conclusion was not viewed as hugely significant. The FBI reached a similar conclusion at a “moderate confidence” level in 2021.

The governing Chinese Communist Party has been highly sensitive to the matter, especially as it courts outside investment after months of zero-Covid lockdowns prompted nationwide protests, CNBC’s Eunice Yoon reported.

Musk wasn’t immediately available to comment.
@mods, if you deem this too political, please remove, posted as this could impact Tesla's business if they are not allowed to operate in China anymore.

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion