EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-23, 12:17 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Tesla has become more common for sure. I noticed more and more Tesla around me. At some intersection, there are as many as 3 at a time. I often see 2 X, 2 S and many Y (more) and 3. On my street, there are 3 new Y's recently. Two are additional vehicles and one replaced a Nissan. I recently had a conversation with a neighbor and was told that one of those three specifically bought it for the gas saving. But recently did his math and found out he's not saving as much as he anticipated. If he takes on trips and charges outside, there's really not much saving at all. Are you folks still enjoying the "cheap gas" option?
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
thread should be renamed "Tesla PR"
Old 02-28-23, 12:31 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Tesla has become more common for sure. I noticed more and more Tesla around me. At some intersection, there are as many as 3 at a time. I often see 2 X, 2 S and many Y (more) and 3. On my street, there are 3 new Y's recently. Two are additional vehicles and one replaced a Nissan. I recently had a conversation with a neighbor and was told that one of those three specifically bought it for the gas saving. But recently did his math and found out he's not saving as much as he anticipated. If he takes on trips and charges outside, there's really not much saving at all. Are you folks still enjoying the "cheap gas" option?

Travelling, the cost of fueling (electricity or gasoline) is always going to be more expensive, but I can tell you from my experience travelling with my Polestar it's more than 50 percent less than if I took my ICE. And I live in California where electricity rates are higher. Just as an example, a 400 mile trip would use about 36 kWh per 100, miles. The total kW I would burn would be around 144 kWh. Electrify America charges .33 cents per kWh, which means my total trip would cost me $47.52. If I took my Sienna or my IS350, the same trip would cost me around $160 in gas. Even when I had a Civic Si that got nearly 40 mpg, that same trip would cost me at least $100.

BTW, I was not paid to write this. I swear to GOD
Old 02-28-23, 12:33 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

If that's the only specific reason to get an EV, he/she clearly didn't do their homework as there are lots more other factors that save you money vs. an ICE vehicle.
Old 02-28-23, 12:36 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Its not why we bought ours, we just found the Model Y to be the superior appliance for our needs.

If it doesn't fit you or your tribe's needs, then you go do you and don't buy an EV.

Why must we do weird things like claim AMIRZA is a PR machine for Tesla when he just simply likes his Polestar?
Old 02-28-23, 12:39 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jwong77
Its not why we bought ours, we just found the Model Y to be the superior appliance for our needs.

If it doesn't fit you or your tribe's needs, then you go do you and don't buy an EV.

Why must we do weird things like claim AMIRZA is a PR machine for Tesla when he just simply likes his Polestar?
That's the thing that really gets me, I don't even own a Tesla LOL
Old 02-28-23, 01:16 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

...Are you folks still enjoying the "cheap gas" option?
I simply asked a yes/no question. Why so sensitive?
Originally Posted by Hameed
If that's the only specific reason to get an EV, he/she clearly didn't do their homework as there are lots more other factors that save you money vs. an ICE vehicle.
Originally Posted by jwong77
Old 02-28-23, 01:31 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

I simply asked a yes/no question. Why so sensitive?
I didn't realize that was coming off as being sensitive 😀

To answer your question, my personal use case scenario is that charging my car at a Tesla supercharger costs me nothing as I have FUSC on my car (Free Unlimited Super Charging) as long as I own the car (and it's still on the road ofcourse).

I don't charge anywhere else when on a trip, only at Tesla superchargers as I have not been anywhere yet that a Tesla SC wasn't close enough.
Old 02-28-23, 02:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
, and word is the Mexico plant will be commissioned to make that car/SUV for the US market to get the tax credit..
Disappointing that the plant is not gonna be built in the USA. Hopefully no imports from China.

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
Looks like this model2 will be announced for China first, and word is the Mexico plant will be commissioned to make that car/SUV for the US market to get the tax credit. That one car can shake up the US new car market. Right now, the manufacturers have essentially abandoned the low end of the market. The average new car price is $49K, loan payment numbers are insane, the middle class is essentially being priced out of the new car market, and the auto manufacturers don't care because they and the dealers make more money selling less cars at higher prices and over MSRP. US yearly car sales used to be 17 million and in 2022 I think it was 13.9 million, and that's not all due to just supply chain issues - its the prices. Get a basic EV out there below 30K, that's still viewed as "chic" and "high tech", and it will sell. Might even entice young people to get driver's licenses - many of them don't even bother getting a driver's license anymore.
When the next recession happens. Vehicle sales will fall below current supply. So the supply chains will correct themselves. People still have too much money so that is why they are still spending so much on cars

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-28-23 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-28-23, 02:21 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

Putting all the insane evidence-free tinfoil hat lunacy to one side for a just a moment, if the Model 2 rumors are accurate and Cybertruck does indeed ship at some point this year, Tesla is going to be extremely well-placed to significantly grow revenue, margin and market share. There’s a lot of upside yet for TSLA.*

* I was neither paid nor otherwise rewarded in cash or in kind for the provision of positive perspective on Tesla or its products.

Last edited by swajames; 02-28-23 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-28-23, 02:40 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Old 02-28-23, 02:41 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Now back to some Tesla business news about the upcoming Investor Day

Tesla Upgrades Leaked, Redesigns And Huge Announcement From Musk

If the information shared online is true, it looks like Tesla's Investor Day on March 1, 2023, could be a historic moment

According to a relatively lengthy thread posted by Teslascope on Twitter, Tesla appears to have a whole lot up its sleeve. The company will reportedly share at least some of it at the upcoming Investor Day on March 1, 2023.

Before we dive into the detailed thread, we'll tell you upfront that it mentions Model 3 and Model Y redesigns. We were aware of the Model 3's "Project Highland," but not much has been shared about a redesigned Model Y. The thread also ends "with a bang," suggesting that Tesla CEO Elon Musk will make a huge announcement at the event on March 1.

eslacope is an internet company that allows you to "track everything" related to your Tesla EV. It calls itself a "worldwide drivers' platform," and claims to be the highest-rated vehicle companion globally. Teslascope also closely follows the Tesla space, and often gets inside information from employees and people with information about the US EV maker. That said, we'll be clear upfront that you should take all of the details in the thread with a grain of salt. Fortunately, March 1 isn't far off, and we should have some verification of at least some of the shared details soon enough.

The thread begins with two very long messages. Now that Twitter allows for many more characters, Teslascope typed what appear to be entire articles into the first two messages. We're going to drop them below so you can dive in, but we're not going to rewrite them for you. Moreover, it's not until after the lengthier messages that you'll find some of the most compelling details with potentially new information.

Upon perusing the long messages above, you'll learn that Tesla may have already started production of Hardware 4, which isn't new news. However, there are some details that we haven't shared at InsideEVs.

The second long message dives deep into Tesla's Full Self-Driving beta Version 11, which we've also already covered. The following messages are where things get really interesting, and Teslascope even claims it learned many details that it doesn't yet have permission to share.

t seems a Model 3 and Model Y redesign may be underway. Tesla has said time and time again that it doesn't redesign or refresh its vehicles, but we know that's not really true. Perhaps it just doesn't always do so in the traditional sense.

If Teslascope's information is correct, we may see Model 3 and Y vehicles coming to market with tweaked interiors and exteriors, new mirrors, and a tri-band GPS that allows Tesla to remove more sensors. However, Teslascope also says there are many other upcoming refinements it's not yet allowed to discuss. Will Musk reveal them next week?

And finally, we'll drop this big bang here once again, just to focus your attention on what could come to be:

What in the heck might the outspoken CEO reveal at Investor Day? Will the Cybertruck start shipping early? Will we get more word on Project Highland? Is Tesla ready to launch that promised coast-to-coast FSD trip with no human intervention? How about a $25,000 compact Tesla hatchback? Perhaps it's simply Tesla's Master Plan Part 3 ...

The potential here is endless. Let us know what you think might be "one of the most significant Tesla announcements in many years.

https://insideevs.com/news/654266/te...uncement-musk/
Old 02-28-23, 02:55 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Your disclaimer at the end definitely makes your statement 100 percent legit *

* I did not pay @swajames to write what he wrote. Honest
which is, frankly, more than a little disingenuous, considering all that marketing money that Tesla keeps throwing your way

Old 02-28-23, 02:57 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
which is, frankly, more than a little disingenuous, considering all that marketing money that Tesla keeps throwing your way

It's called "CAPITALISM" my friend. You snooze, you lose....
Old 02-28-23, 03:10 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
"Out of sight out of mind" certainly implies a lot of negativity towards EV owners. You have to understand there are other reasons for owning an EV.
- No maintenance (no oil changes, brakes can last 100k miles, no 30k/60k/90k service intervals). The indy shop I took both of our ICE vehicles to was 15 miles away and only open M-F. Drive one way, drop the car off, and either Uber home or Uber to a rental car place nearby depending on how long they'd have it. Big hassle that just comes with the territory of traditional car ownership (unless you go to Lexus dealer and get a loaner, but I don't care for my Lexus dealer)
- The car gets better over time with software updates
- Always waking up to a car that is "full" is amazing. No stops at a gas station. No wondering if my wife (who hates going to the gas station) is leaving me with a car that'll barely make it to a gas station when I don't really have time to stop at one.
- Driving dynamics are simply unmatched by an ICE vehicle
- Technology and user interface are light years ahead of my ICE preferred brand (Lexus)

I didn't buy an EV for any reason other than those listed above and I'm not in the minority.
I love my Plaid and I bought it for a couple of reasons, power, looks and to try an EV for the first time to see if I liked it. Overall it’s been an awesome car but some of those things don’t apply to me. I agree the driving dynamics are great and I won’t get another ICE car for my daily but it’s not always rosy so I will keep it real here.

1. I’ve been to three different service centers and spent 6+ hours at two of them and 2 hours at the other one. Going for routine maintenance once a year at Lexus cost me max 2 hours. I never went more than that because I didn’t have any issues that I can remember.

2. I still feel the user interface is just ok. Using the touchscreen for everything while driving can be dangerous because some of the items on the screen are small and you need to be precise to touch which can be hard when driving sometimes.

3. Traveling - I was traveling last weekend and one of the dads I was with has a Plaid. We went from MD to NJ and when we all went out to eat/drink I decided to ride back with him but he had about 3% left so we went to a Tesla supercharger at 10:30 at night. We found a set of 8 I believe and there were a number of other cars charging. We hooked up and I asked him why does it say it’s going to take over an hour to charge when I thought it was 20 minutes. He told me because of all the other cars that were hooked up. There is no way I am traveling and having to wait an hour to charge. Luckily he just wanted to get a little charge to get to where we needed to be so I didn’t have to sit there the whole time and we waited about 10-15 minutes. No one told me about this issue when charging. Is this true?

Old 02-28-23, 03:26 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
I love my Plaid and I bought it for a couple of reasons, power, looks and to try an EV for the first time to see if I liked it. Overall it’s been an awesome car but some of those things don’t apply to me. I agree the driving dynamics are great and I won’t get another ICE car for my daily but it’s not always rosy so I will keep it real here.

1. I’ve been to three different service centers and spent 6+ hours at two of them and 2 hours at the other one. Going for routine maintenance once a year at Lexus cost me max 2 hours. I never went more than that because I didn’t have any issues that I can remember.

2. I still feel the user interface is just ok. Using the touchscreen for everything while driving can be dangerous because some of the items on the screen are small and you need to be precise to touch which can be hard when driving sometimes.

3. Traveling - I was traveling last weekend and one of the dads I was with has a Plaid. We went from MD to NJ and when we all went out to eat/drink I decided to ride back with him but he had about 3% left so we went to a Tesla supercharger at 10:30 at night. We found a set of 8 I believe and there were a number of other cars charging. We hooked up and I asked him why does it say it’s going to take over an hour to charge when I thought it was 20 minutes. He told me because of all the other cars that were hooked up. There is no way I am traveling and having to wait an hour to charge. Luckily he just wanted to get a little charge to get to where we needed to be so I didn’t have to sit there the whole time and we waited about 10-15 minutes. No one told me about this issue when charging. Is this true?
I can't really speak for Tesla chargers, but I'm sure they do share transformers. I've only been to a Tesla charging station once, when my brother in law first got his Model 3 we stopped at charging station in Fremont, and they were about 3/4 full. The charging rate was a little down, but it actually charged faster than the predicted time. Predicted time was 25 minutes to 80 percent, but it ended up 15 minutes instead.

For EA chargers, they also share power, but if the fast chargers are working properly, they will hit close to peak output even if all the chargers are in use. It's when you hit about 70 percent when you start seeing the peak heading on a downward spiral.

I've travelled 6 times to SoCal in my Polestar and only ran into an issue with chargers twice that caused delays. Now on peak travel days like Thanksgiving and Christmas where there are a lot of people traveling, I would probably either not take my Polestar or I would travel the day before

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion