EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-23, 03:32 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

Link for tomorrow's broadcast:

Old 02-28-23, 03:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
IWe hooked up and I asked him why does it say it’s going to take over an hour to charge when I thought it was 20 minutes. He told me because of all the other cars that were hooked up. There is no way I am traveling and having to wait an hour to charge

Is this true?
I would be interested to know if this is true as well. Appears Tesla is throttling the charging system (I think throttling is the right word)
Old 02-28-23, 03:47 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
Link for tomorrow's broadcast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl1zEzVUV7w
Thanks for posting that. Can't wait!
Old 02-28-23, 03:50 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

3. Traveling - I was traveling last weekend and one of the dads I was with has a Plaid. We went from MD to NJ and when we all went out to eat/drink I decided to ride back with him but he had about 3% left so we went to a Tesla supercharger at 10:30 at night. We found a set of 8 I believe and there were a number of other cars charging. We hooked up and I asked him why does it say it’s going to take over an hour to charge when I thought it was 20 minutes. He told me because of all the other cars that were hooked up. There is no way I am traveling and having to wait an hour to charge. Luckily he just wanted to get a little charge to get to where we needed to be so I didn’t have to sit there the whole time and we waited about 10-15 minutes. No one told me about this issue when charging. Is this true?
I haven't encountered this yet, and I've been to Supercharging stations with only 1 available slot out 8. Could be that the station you went to is of an older design or the infrastructure in the area can't support that much electricity? I honestly have no idea.
Old 02-28-23, 03:55 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jwong77
I haven't encountered this yet, and I've been to Supercharging stations with only 1 available slot out 8. Could be that the station you went to is of an older design or the infrastructure in the area can't support that much electricity? I honestly have no idea.
Also here in California Tesla has been rolling out their new generation chargers. One of the reasons I'm getting a Tesla, there will never be a lack of superchargers when I travel
Old 02-28-23, 03:55 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

3. Traveling - I was traveling last weekend and one of the dads I was with has a Plaid. We went from MD to NJ and when we all went out to eat/drink I decided to ride back with him but he had about 3% left so we went to a Tesla supercharger at 10:30 at night. We found a set of 8 I believe and there were a number of other cars charging. We hooked up and I asked him why does it say it’s going to take over an hour to charge when I thought it was 20 minutes. He told me because of all the other cars that were hooked up. There is no way I am traveling and having to wait an hour to charge. Luckily he just wanted to get a little charge to get to where we needed to be so I didn’t have to sit there the whole time and we waited about 10-15 minutes. No one told me about this issue when charging. Is this true?
The charging stalls are typically set up in "pairs" and are numbered 1A, 1B etc.

When you're plugged into 1A for example and another car is plugged into 1B, then the charge rate drops as the load is shared across the two chargers. That's why when you pull up to a Supercharger, if it's not very busy you will typically see cars in alternate stalls. It's the unsaid "Tesla etiquette" for charging.

Having said that it's never taken my car an hour to charge and the max rate is half of a Plaids rate of charge.
Old 02-28-23, 04:10 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

We found a set of 8 I believe and there were a number of other cars charging. We hooked up and I asked him why does it say it’s going to take over an hour to charge when I thought it was 20 minutes. He told me because of all the other cars that were hooked up. There is no way I am traveling and having to wait an hour to charge. Luckily he just wanted to get a little charge to get to where we needed to be so I didn’t have to sit there the whole time and we waited about 10-15 minutes. No one told me about this issue when charging. Is this true?
He was likely on a v2 supercharger, which is limited to 150kw, split between two vehicles per stall (so potentially 75kw). v3 superchargers addressed this, with an output of 250kw. It also depends what his charge limit was, since your car charges faster the lower the battery, while the opposite is true. For this reason, charging the final 20% takes significantly longer than the first 80%, which is likely what you were seeing.

If your friend was at 3%, they'll get the max charge available, while the Model S should recover about ~200 miles within 15-20 minutes...at which point, I'd leave and simply slow charge at my final destination. Actively charging for an hour should only occur if you're trying to charge an EV like you fill gas. For long distance road-tripping, it's beneficial to drive the mid/bottom of the pack, if you're aiming for the shortest stops.
Old 02-28-23, 05:45 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Lets Drive
He was likely on a v2 supercharger, which is limited to 150kw, split between two vehicles per stall (so potentially 75kw). v3 superchargers addressed this, with an output of 250kw. It also depends what his charge limit was, since your car charges faster the lower the battery, while the opposite is true. For this reason, charging the final 20% takes significantly longer than the first 80%, which is likely what you were seeing.

If your friend was at 3%, they'll get the max charge available, while the Model S should recover about ~200 miles within 15-20 minutes...at which point, I'd leave and simply slow charge at my final destination. Actively charging for an hour should only occur if you're trying to charge an EV like you fill gas. For long distance road-tripping, it's beneficial to drive the mid/bottom of the pack, if you're aiming for the shortest stops.
I just had no idea it was like that. No way we were getting 200 miles in 15-20
minutes based on how long we sat there and how much we charged up unless things sped up considerably. We also had to switch chargers after about 5 minutes because an error popped up, red ring or something like that he said. We weren’t far from the hotel so we just charged a little and he said he would come back the next day to fully charge.

I will say this, he is a tech guy and he loves traveling with it and testing the limits. I would have had range anxiety if I was around 3% charged but he had no such worries. He said he can go down to 0% and still drive around 15 miles (I think that’s what he said)
Old 03-01-23, 08:55 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

So what do you folks anticipate investors to react to TSLA today? If I remember correctly, last time it didn't go well because they were hoping a bigger achievement on battery? I read a few weeks ago... a lot of anticipation that it would go up as it got close to today. But it didn't seem like. Just random roller-coaster ride as usual.
Originally Posted by Hameed
I don't charge anywhere else when on a trip, only at Tesla superchargers as I have not been anywhere yet that a Tesla SC wasn't close enough.
Where are the SC's usually located? I read some Buc-ee recently installed some SC which I think is a great move. Other than that where are these located? Are they fairly close to interstate?
I love my Plaid and I bought it for a couple of reasons, power, looks and to try an EV for the first time to see if I liked it. Overall it’s been an awesome car but some of those things don’t apply to me. I agree the driving dynamics are great and I won’t get another ICE car for my daily but it’s not always rosy so I will keep it real here.
1. I’ve been to three different service centers and spent 6+ hours at two of them and 2 hours at the other one. Going for routine maintenance once a year at Lexus cost me max 2 hours. I never went more than that because I didn’t have any issues that I can remember.
2. I still feel the user interface is just ok. Using the touchscreen for everything while driving can be dangerous because some of the items on the screen are small and you need to be precise to touch which can be hard when driving sometimes.
Thanks for sharing your real life experience. Sometimes the thought about getting a Tesla as my next vehicle comes to mind even though I've never driven or been in one. Seeing comments like this reminds me that this is not the time yet. Blame it to poor planning but having to look for a station at night in a strange area and wait there for 30 mins to an hour is certainly not something I want to be in.
Old 03-01-23, 09:10 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
So what do you folks anticipate investors to react to TSLA today? If I remember correctly, last time it didn't go well because they were hoping a bigger achievement on battery? I read a few weeks ago... a lot of anticipation that it would go up as it got close to today. But it didn't seem like. Just random roller-coaster ride as usual.
Use the same magic 8-ball you used last time to predict the short term stock price.
Old 03-01-23, 09:13 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Where are the SC's usually located? I read some Buc-ee recently installed some SC which I think is a great move. Other than that where are these located? Are they fairly close to interstate?
Yes usually fairly close to highways, as well as in cities at malls etc .
Thanks for sharing your real life experience. Sometimes the thought about getting a Tesla as my next vehicle comes to mind even though I've never driven or been in one. Seeing comments like this reminds me that this is not the time yet. Blame it to poor planning but having to look for a station at night in a strange area and wait there for 30 mins to an hour is certainly not something I want to be in.
The cars navigation system (which uses Google maps btw) has the charging stops/destinations built into route planning. It takes into account various factors (speed, temp, elevation etc) to figure out your average rate of consumption and then calculates where (exact address and navigates to the SC) and for how long to stop at the chargers to get you the required range to get to the next charger. It's very intuitive and takes out all the guesswork.
Old 03-01-23, 10:05 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Personal attacks and posts not related to the discussion have been deleted.
Don't post if you can't stick to the related topic.
Old 03-01-23, 10:16 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Here's the Supercharger map... It grows all the time. I expect them to be added faster given the potential revenue stream.
Old 03-01-23, 11:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

. Blame it to poor planning but having to look for a station at night in a strange area and wait there for 30 mins to an hour is certainly not something I want to be in.
Never seen a non-Tesla cable out. But I have seen a lot of street cables damaged or broken .. I am not sure how safe street charging might be....or at an empty mall in the middle of the night...

I saw this a few weeks ago.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-01-23 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-01-23, 11:33 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I woke up this morning to "The Model Y is a work of art". Wow. That's even more praise than I would give it. But I guess I never took one apart

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion