EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-23, 05:53 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Not much but 5.61% is also not insignificant. Most likely will dip more at least early tomorrow morning.
Old 03-01-23, 06:00 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Not worried about a dip, that means a buying opportunity. And yes, Elon needs forget about Twitter, way to much of a distraction. Big mistake he made buying that 44 billion toy
Old 03-01-23, 06:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-investor-...mer-1850175407

I still don’t think the stock will move either way

^^^. The passion for Tesla is just insane. This article goes to the extreme to point out the disclaimer. Even goes so far to say B.S, for the information. Just crazy IMO

Originally Posted by swajames
TSLA might drop a bit after this, but it will rebound..
Originally Posted by 1111GS
Not much but 5.61% is also not insignificant. Most likely will dip more at least early tomorrow morning.
Tesla stock is so volatile. So 5.6% is insignificant but it’s not as well.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Big mistake he made buying that 44 billion toy
I don’t agree. I think it was a great thing. Even if he loses money.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-01-23 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-01-23, 06:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I'd be super drunk by now.
This is excruciatingly long what were they thinking.
lol.

Originally Posted by ST430
That was painful to listen in....can't believe a trillion dollar company would put on a snoozedlfest such as this....
glad i missed it.

Tesla is a high tech company full of engineers and nerds. What did you expect?
you're defending a company wasting the time of very influential investors, stock holders, journalists, etc.?

My disappointment is they kept talking about a "major" announcement, which I've yet to hear what it is
i think the major announcements are they're building a factory in mexico, and they plan to make everything electric.

Not worried about a dip, that means a buying opportunity.
so you're buying more stock now? could be, but very risky.

And yes, Elon needs forget about Twitter, way to much of a distraction. Big mistake he made buying that 44 billion toy
that's not possible at thie point.

Originally Posted by swajames
Said it before, and I'll say it again - Musk is an absolutely appalling presenter. Will always be his achilles heel. No prep went into this, as he's too busy trying to polish the 44bn turd he didn't need to buy.

TSLA might drop a bit after this, but it will rebound. The market knows the Tesla vision is big, bold and broad. The market reaction IMO is just as much about telling Musk he really needs to disengage from Twitter as much it was about the weak presentation.
while space rockets, ev's, satellite internet, are 'big' agenda issues, so is running a semi 'free speech' platform, which he doesn't want to see die.
Old 03-01-23, 07:59 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
lol.

glad i missed it.

you're defending a company wasting the time of very influential investors, stock holders, journalists, etc.?

i think the major announcements are they're building a factory in mexico, and they plan to make everything electric.

so you're buying more stock now? could be, but very risky.

that's not possible at thie point.

while space rockets, ev's, satellite internet, are 'big' agenda issues, so is running a semi 'free speech' platform, which he doesn't want to see die.
Nope, not defending them, they (Tesla in general, Elon in particular) wasted everybody's time today. I'm just giving Lex a hard time, he's more invested in this s h i t than I am. And nope, I don't have any money to buy stocks right now, but if I did, I would if it dipped far enough down

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 03-01-23 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-01-23, 08:11 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Should have opened with announcing Giga Mexico, talk about the mainstream model a little then go into all the details for hours. People would have been happy with that.
Old 03-01-23, 08:41 PM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

Basically Tesla had no new products to talk about but still held a briefing.
Old 03-01-23, 09:30 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Stuck to my plan I stated here last month and sold a good chunk of my shares last week and Monday. Can never lose money taking profit off the table. Plus history shows these events are always a sell the day after. Expecting the same tomorrow. Will see where it goes and look for my reentry.

Regardless, haven't read up on everything just yet but seems like a rather tame event.
Old 03-02-23, 01:26 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

am I the only one that found the 4 hours really interesting? lol...
Old 03-02-23, 05:11 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

I deleted a political post relating to Twitter. Reminder that politics are not allowed on CL. Keep the thread focused on the business side of Tesla.
Old 03-02-23, 07:52 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
am I the only one that found the 4 hours really interesting? lol...
I found some of the technical stuff interesting. Tesla takes for granted that Tesla owners already know what's coming out 1) refreshed Model 3 and Y (project Highland) 2) HW V4 3) new plant in Mexico 4) lower cost model 2 that will be built in the new plant and 5) Cybertruck.

What everyone is upset with is they wasted people's time by not announcing what I mentioned, which would have put timelines and made them official.

That said, still can't wait to buy my Model Y this summer
Old 03-02-23, 08:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

That said, still can't wait to buy my Model Y this summer
i thought you were getting a model 3?
Old 03-02-23, 08:39 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i thought you were getting a model 3?
I decided Model Y because of more room. I sat in my friends and it's more spacious than the M3, and has much better cargo room if you put down the rear seats. Also more spacious back seats, it would be great as the family trip car. I'm going to be living with it for the next 10 years, I would rather have some more room. In a nutshell, I changed my mind....
Old 03-02-23, 09:19 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Now the bad news

Tesla stock down as investor day falls short on specifics

KEY POINTS
  • Tesla CEO Elon Musk took the stage to present his “Master Plan Part 3” for the company at its 2023 investor day in Austin, Texas.
  • The company’s manufacturing leader, Tom Zhu, revealed that Tesla had produced 4 million cars as of Wednesday.
  • The presentation was long on vision and a review of prior achievements, but short on specifics about any new Tesla products or services.

Electric vehicle maker Tesla hosted a 2023 investor day presentation in Austin, Texas, on Wednesday. CEO Elon Musk took the stage to share his “Master Plan 3,” and to discuss how Tesla plans to scale up in the face of increasing competition.

The presentation was long on vision, and included a review of prior achievements, but short on specifics about any new Tesla products or services.

Near the beginning of the presentation, Musk said: “There is a clear path to a sustainable-energy Earth. It doesn’t require destroying natural habitats. It doesn’t require us to be austere and stop using electricity and be in the cold or anything.” He added, “In fact, you could support a civilization much bigger than Earth, much more than the 8 billion humans could actually be supported sustainably on Earth.”

Musk was initially joined on stage by Drew Baglino, senior vice president of powertrain and energy engineering at Tesla. They discussed a future in which the company would play a role in “re-powering the grid with renewable fuels” as they ramp up battery production, both for Tesla’s electric vehicles and for the company’s utility-scale energy storage systems.

Tesla’s goal is to produce 20 million electric vehicles per year by 2030, executives reiterated. The company reported full-year deliveries of around 1.31 million vehicles in 2022.

During a question-and-answer session following the three-hour presentation, executives fielded a question about how Tesla could grow its market share in China.

Elon Musk passed the question to Tom Zhu, who is heading up global production and has run the China and APAC businesses for Tesla for years. “As long as you offer a product with value at affordable price you don’t have to worry about demand,” Zhu said. “We try everything to cut costs,” he added, “and pass down that value to our customers.”

Musk then added, “Demand is a function of affordability not desire.” He said, “Even small changes in the price have a big effect on demand.”

Zhu also announced that as of Wednesday, Tesla had produced 4 million cars in total.

“It took us 12 years to build the first million, and about 18 months to the second million. The third million, 11 months. Then less than seven months to build the 4 millionth,” Zhu said, touting the company’s improving operational efficiency.

He said Tesla plans to construct new car and battery cell factories, and also to produce more cars per year at its existing factories.

Tesla charging leader Rebecca Tinucci said that in 2022 the company provided 9 terawatt hours across charging methods, including home charging including 40,000 Superchargers. (By way of comparison, the entire U.S. consumes about 4,000 terawatt hours of electricity per year.) Tinucci also noted that about half of the company’s Superchargers in the EU are open to other vehicles, and that the company just opened 10 Superchargers in the U.S. to non-Teslas.

Tesla design leader Franz von Holzhausen and the company’s vice president of vehicle engineering, Lars Moravy, took the stage to show off a number of planned manufacturing changes meant to improve the efficiency of Tesla vehicle production. But von Holzhausen said that Tesla would not yet reveal its “next gen” vehicle.

The company’s powertrain vice president, Colin Campbell, said that Tesla’s next powertrain factory will be 50% smaller than the one in Austin but will have the same capacity. He also said the company is working on a new kind of drive unit that is compatible with any battery cell type, and a motor that will be built without any rare earth metals.

Ahead of the 2023 investor day, at a news conference on Tuesday, Mexico’s president, Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, said Tesla had agreed to build a large factory in Monterrey, Mexico. He said the company agreed to use recycled water and take other initiatives to cope with water scarcity in the region.

Musk confirmed the factory plans on Wednesday, and said production there would supplement, rather than replace, any manufacturing at other Tesla facilities.

Tesla shares have rebounded from declines during 2022, and are up more than 60% for the year so far. However, the stock dropped 1.43% on Wednesday before the event, and 5% after-hours.

Mizuho Securities analysts maintained a buy rating on shares of Tesla ahead of investor day, seeing the company in a leadership position in a growing market for fully electric vehicles. They wrote in a note earlier this week, “Near-term, we see continued strength in TSLA’s market share, but see cheaper competitor EVs coming to market as potentially dilutive to TSLA’s share of the US EV market.”

Currently, the lowest-priced Tesla available is the Model 3 sedan, which starts at a price point of around $43,000, they wrote. Seven models from other automakers are currently priced below that, Mizhuo noted.

Musk’s ambitious “Master Plan, Part Deux” was published in 2016, and has not been completely fulfilled. It included four main objectives:
  • “Create stunning solar roofs with seamlessly integrated battery storage”
  • “Expand the electric vehicle product line to address all major segments”
  • “Develop a self-driving capability that is 10X safer than manual via massive fleet learning”
  • “Enable your car to make money for you when you aren’t using it”.
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/01/tesl...-3-teased.html
Old 03-02-23, 09:33 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

I bought another 100 shares this morning. Yay! Free money!
Still kicking myself for buying the car in Dec 2018. That money would be close to half a mil right now... Sheesh!

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion