EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-23, 03:51 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I would be a little nervous about Rivian, but the price is definitely tempting....
Its definitely money that u can afford to lose.
Lucid stock never recovered but Rivian should fare better as long as Amazon is involved.
Old 03-02-23, 04:22 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Does everyone want a Tesla if they want an EV? I don't know enough about these to give you a good answer about profit, but I do know that as we get closer to the end of ICE production, companies like Hyundai, Toyota, Honda, the Germans, the domestics, etc are only going to pick up. There are already some good offerings from various companies. The problem is public charging access but that's slowly changing. Wait until models like the Camry/Accord and 4-Runner become electrified. Think Tesla can just sit back and keep producing the same thing over and over again? I don't see a whole lot of change with them in the last several years, other than slightly improved range and a bigger screen.

As for hydrogen, Bit posted an interesting article about hydrogen and if it's a viable source going forward. Forward as in 10-20 years or more.
There is no doubt the other car companies are getting into the EV game. We have been hearing "wait for the big boys to get in" for years now. The big boys cannot even make a profit, at least so far. Don't get me wrong, competition is good for us, the consumers.

The problem with hydrogen as a fuel is 2 fold. Production is extremely costly and needs other toxic chemicals to refine. 2nd, a delivery channel is non-existiant (electricity is everywhere) and transportation is dangerous as it is highly explosive.

I believe electricity use is a viable fuel going forward, as we sort it out. Some combination of wind, solar, battery storage, nuclear and others. Time will tell.
Old 03-02-23, 06:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Yes their stock has exploded in recent years but it's not going to experience this type of growth again.
i've heard that tune before. in fact, i've sung that tune with stocks like apple's. for a very long time i resisted buying apple stock because i kept saying "it's already priced for perfection, no way it can keep going up." well guess what, i was wrong, over, and over, and over, but finally got some and have held onto it. same now with tesla. i realize their stock is very highly priced and yes, i realize there's competition, and i don't even like their cars that much, but they've captured a huge amount of enthusiasm, loyalty, and a 'following' - gee, just like apple, and one thing i do realize about tesla, is they're just getting started. they've worked tirelessly on building vehicles in very large quantities and at costs where they can make good margins. gee, just like apple.

they're still working on the manufacturing reliability / quality part but i'm quite confident they will get there. on the cost side, and especially with government subsidies/credits, they're now competitive in retail price with ice vehicles, which is astonishing. and because ice makers are having to push hybrids to seem like they're still relevant, and to cater to those 'worrying' about running out of battery range, that INCREASES their costs.

companies like hyundai, ford, and gm are trying to innovate in the space, but their manufacturing numbers are so tiny it's not much of a threat. upstarts rivian and lucid are not making many vehicles either, and they're losing vast amounts of money. anyone who buys a lucid is very brave or has money to burn so it doesn't matter if they can't get it fixed or the company goes under.

tesla, meanwhile, is producing MILLIONS of vehicles, and is making BILLIONS of dollars. they have fremont, austin, shanghai, berlin and soon a mexican plant. everyone else, not so much. the chinese manufacturers like byd are the closest, but i've no idea how innovative they are or whether they make much money.

anyway, point is, yes, tesla stock can keep going up over time. a lot.

Old 03-02-23, 06:24 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

For better or worse, Tesla is now a car company.
Which means they still not announce new things that will impact sales of their current vehicles.

And they have to sell 1.8m vehicles this year, similar to BMW or MB.

Back when they were tiny, they could talk about new projects, but now they will announce things like Model 3 refresh when it starts deliveries.

As far as investor presentations go, i thought it was impressive how integrated they are. Now i don't own any stock nor i plan to.

They already have cybertruck coming this year, m3 refresh, new hw4, sc4, semis.

​​​​​ How much more can they even do?
Old 03-02-23, 07:11 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
For better or worse, Tesla is now a car company.
Which means they still not announce new things that will impact sales of their current vehicles.

And they have to sell 1.8m vehicles this year, similar to BMW or MB.

Back when they were tiny, they could talk about new projects, but now they will announce things like Model 3 refresh when it starts deliveries.

As far as investor presentations go, i thought it was impressive how integrated they are. Now i don't own any stock nor i plan to.

They already have cybertruck coming this year, m3 refresh, new hw4, sc4, semis.

​​​​​ How much more can they even do?
This is my exact sentiment, if they announced refreshes and timelines, everyone will either cancel existing orders or wait like @ST430 he was ready to cancel his Plaid order if they announced a refresh or HW V4
Old 03-03-23, 08:41 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Rob from Tesla Daily gives his 8 key takeaways from Tesla investor day

Old 03-03-23, 10:05 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Tesla To Offer Unlimited Overnight Charging For About $1 Per Day

Tesla is becoming its own utility company with the ability to buy power from Tesla Powerwall owners and then sell it

Tesla announced last evening at its 2023 Investor Day event that it will offer a new plan for unlimited overnight EV charging for just $30 per month. Guaranteed charging for $1 per day while people sleep could be yet another game-changer for the US EV maker and for the US electric grid, in general.

We typically refer to Tesla as an automaker, but we've often noted over the years that it's actually much more. Tesla is a technology and software company that's also an energy company. While Tesla's energy business hasn't quite boomed like some expected early on, it's growing quickly, and the company is now becoming its own utility company.

As part of Tesla's electric energy retail division, it's working with Tesla Powerwall owners to create a sort of grid of its own. Tesla can buy energy from Powerwall owners and then turn around and sell it, which helps offset peak prices and ensure that there's an excess of stored energy available in case of an outage.According to Electrek, Tesla's virtual power plants program was essentially a stepping stone to launching its own "Tesla Electric" energy utility business. The new division will allow Tesla to offer the overnight charging plan to owners. However, it will only be initially available to owners that have a Tesla Powerwall and live in Texas.

esla senior vice president of engineering Drew Baglino shared the upcoming $30-per-month overnight charging program as follows via Electrek:
"By this summer, we are going to offer retail electricity plans to people who have our cars where they can have unlimited overnight home charging for $30 per month. This is part of reducing the total cost of ownership of our vehicles, and the reason why we can do this is because Texas as a ton of wind. And in Texas, the wind blows at night."
Texas currently relies on its own aging power grid, which isn't connected to the rest of the US grid like other states. The Texas grid has been taxed and failing of late, so it's high time for Tesla to step in and help as it can.

With Tesla owners potentially subscribing to the plan and charging overnight via Tesla's business, it will take some load off Texas' grid. CEO Elon Musk also previously mentioned that Tesla could help fix the grid in Texas with a commercial battery energy storage system.

The Tesla Electric plans in Texas are expected to become available in July 2023, with other locations launching thereafter.

https://insideevs.com/news/655264/te...ollar-per-day/
Old 03-03-23, 11:21 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

Stock right back up today.
Old 03-03-23, 11:39 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Once investors settle down and get over their disappointment of Tesla not confirming new products and refreshes, begin to see that they are meeting or exceeding expectations, the stock will shoot right back up. Whoever bought in the dip, made money
Old 03-03-23, 11:52 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Once investors settle down and get over their disappointment of Tesla not confirming new products and refreshes, begin to see that they are meeting or exceeding expectations, the stock will shoot right back up. Whoever bought in the dip, made money
Absolutely. Anyone who bought in early Jan has doubled their money. Some on here were predicting the stock to go lower back then. Ignoring that advice delivered the small matter of a 100% gain. In about six weeks.
Old 03-03-23, 04:07 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

The stock already recovered today.
Old 03-03-23, 06:11 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Sandy and Cory on Tesla Investor day: "Don't bet against Elon Musk". Interesting discussion

Old 03-05-23, 09:47 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

NVM, post in other thread

Last edited by ST430; 03-05-23 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-06-23, 05:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Tesla cuts U.S. Model S and Model X prices between 4% and 9%

March 5 (Reuters) - Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) has cut prices on its two most expensive electric vehicles in the United States, according to the company's website, days after Chief Executive Elon Musk said recent price cuts on other models had stoked demand.

The price cuts, Tesla's fifth adjustment since the start of the year, ranged from 4% on the performance version of the Model S to 9% on the more expensive Model X.

Musk has said repeatedly in recent months that Tesla would focus on bringing prices down to drive demand and that it had seen success in sparking orders with global discounts introduced in January.

"The desire for people to own a Tesla is extremely high. The limiting factor is their ability to pay for a Tesla," Musk said last week at Tesla's investor day.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...te-2023-03-06/
Old 03-06-23, 02:52 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Watch Tesla Model Y Produced At "Tesla Speed" At Giga Shanghai

Tesla can build a Model Y in China from the first station to final assembly in just two and a half hours, which is super impressive

A recent video published by New China TV gives us a look inside Giga Shanghai amid Tesla Model Y production. The video is actually an interview that's happening in the background while the cameras roll in the highly efficient electric vehicle factory in China.

Tesla is known for its cutting-edge manufacturing techniques, and recently, even Toyota took notice. CEO Elon Musk has said on multiple occasions that Tesla's lead over other automakers will come primarily from its manufacturing edge. The company recently opened two new factories, one in Germany and the other in Texas, and it just announced another that's coming to Mexico.

Tesla's main factory is still active in Fremont, California, though Giga Shanghai in China is arguably the automaker's most important and successful factory to date. It not only produces EVs for the domestic market, which is the largest in the world, but also for export.

There are all sorts of important details in the nearly 30-minute video. However, the key focus is on "Tesla Speed." More specifically, we learn just how quickly Tesla can produce the most popular EV in the world, the Tesla Model Y.

During the video, the host asks how long it takes for Tesla to build a Model Y electric crossover at the China factory. Reportedly, it takes about two and a half hours from the very first station to the end of the final assembly. The Giga Shanghai employee in the video interview shares:
“I think from the first station to the last station, it takes about two and a half hours to finish all the stations."
While that may sound like a long time since you've probably heard thatcars come off the assembly line every few minutes at some automakers, that's not the same. Those numbers don't include the entire process from start to finish, which can typically take an average of 18 to 35 hours per vehicle.

Tesla already appears to have a huge edge over most automakers when it comes to manufacturing, and it's constantly speeding up its factories and building more. The automaker hasn't even come close to moving its lineup to the new Gigacasting technique and structural battery packs, which stand to improve the speed exponentially. What's more, Tesla is already working on a new, smaller platform that will cost much less to build and speed up the manufacturing process significantly.

According to Teslarati, based on an internal memo shared by Reuters, Tesla China is aiming to increase the output at Giga Shanghai to 20,000 EVs per week effective immediately. If it can pull it off, the EV maker could produce some 80,000 Model 3 and Model Y EVs per month for domestic and global consumption.

https://insideevs.com/news/655788/te...i-tesla-speed/

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion