EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-23, 02:48 AM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

The 2 hour end to end for each car is not right. It is much longer than that. Sure they have a lot of parallel builds happening.

Last edited by 703; 03-07-23 at 02:52 AM.
Old 03-07-23, 06:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
The 2 hour end to end for each car is not right. It is much longer than that. Sure they have a lot of parallel builds happening.
probably without stamping and painting, but also probably very fast compared to traditional petrol powertrains.
Old 03-07-23, 06:23 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

This is another big problem the "legacy" automakers have - their manufacturing plants use what is now dated technology and approaches to manufacturing, and they need billions in new capital to redo all their plants. And they are already companies that have huge debt loads, and they are already producing cars that the middle class can't afford to buy, so there is no room to go higher on ICE prices. Making an EV on a line designed to make an ICE car, isn't efficient.
Old 03-07-23, 08:13 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
This is another big problem the "legacy" automakers have - their manufacturing plants use what is now dated technology and approaches to manufacturing, and they need billions in new capital to redo all their plants. And they are already companies that have huge debt loads, and they are already producing cars that the middle class can't afford to buy, so there is no room to go higher on ICE prices. Making an EV on a line designed to make an ICE car, isn't efficient.
traditional manufacturers redo their production techniques and plants every 2 generations. They invest billions every year into RD and capital spend for new plants.
Their problem is that they are super behind EV because they are on 1st or 2nd gen, instead of 5th.
Old 03-07-23, 08:27 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
traditional manufacturers redo their production techniques and plants every 2 generations. They invest billions every year into RD and capital spend for new plants.
Their problem is that they are super behind EV because they are on 1st or 2nd gen, instead of 5th.
Yeah I'm not worried about manufacturers needing to redo their plants in the slightest. Volvo and Mercedes in particular are already well on their way to using mega casts for future product.
Old 03-07-23, 08:36 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Yesterday was the second time I saw a dead Tesla at traffic light, interestingly enough same traffic light . Apparently it came to a stop then won't go again. The light was flashing so it was probably not battery related. Any Tesla expert has a clue what might be the cause? Driver's knowledge? Or the car itself?
Old 03-07-23, 09:07 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Yesterday was the second time I saw a dead Tesla at traffic light, interestingly enough same traffic light . Apparently it came to a stop then won't go again. The light was flashing so it was probably not battery related. Any Tesla expert has a clue what might be the cause? Driver's knowledge? Or the car itself?
I'm not a Tesla expert, but could have been they were using FSD and it got confused at the light, as you mentioned two Tesla's at that same light. With all of the thousands of Tesla's I see every day, I've only seen one at the side of the road on a trip to SoCal, they may have thought they could go on without stopping to charge and ran out of power. I once asked a tow truck driver if he tows EV's, and he said he's towed a few Tesla's that ignored their low SoC thinking they could make it without charging, but never one that broke down
Old 03-07-23, 03:04 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

This one is for you @ST430

Tesla has seemingly started deliveries of vehicles equipped with the Hardware 4 (HW4) computer, as an owner who took delivery of a Model X has confirmed his car is outfitted with the new system.

Jason Clinton, a member of the TeslaMotors subreddit, took delivery of his Model X this past weekend and was shown by a Tesla technician that his vehicle was equipped with “AP4,” as well as his radar being set to “Phoenix,” which was the name of the newest iteration, according to recent information leaks about HW4.

Clinton said Service Advisors had confirmed to him that the internal systems reflected the vehicle having Hardware 4, along with an inventory screen that confirmed the Phoenix radar was present in the vehicle.

TeslaScope also confirmed that the vehicle, along with several others, is running the new Hardware 4 computer, as previous, Hardware 3 iterations

The first details regarding HW4 were issued in mid-February when Tesla hacker greentheonly was in possession of a unit that came from a new Model X vehicle. Along with more camera ports available in an effort to support Tesla’s vision of a camera-based and vision-focused self-driving quest, Tesla also seemed to reintroduce radar and a radar heater, which were both seen within the coding of the vehicle.

Unfortunately, Clinton said his vehicle is still in the process of being fully functional, and visualizations are currently broken except for lanes. He stated that a service appointment is set up for this week to fix several features and issues with the vehicle, including several Full Self-Driving suite options, including Autopark, Summon, and Navigate on Autopilot.

Initially, camera quality does not appear to be much different than previously. A few videos uploaded by Clinton show the quality, but there is not a huge improvement,

Tesla seems to be planning to implement HW4 in Model S and Model X vehicles initially. Model 3 and Model Y vehicles could have HW4 soon, as both vehicles are currently in the process of being revamped and refreshed by Tesla.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-hard...eries-model-x/
Old 03-07-23, 07:26 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Yup knew it once I confirmed with my X, however I don't use FSD so it's good to me only from a resale value standpoint....
Old 03-07-23, 07:32 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

I saw several F150s get stuck in the snow a couple of times on my last trip to Tahoe. Does that mean the engine is bad or the driver is bad? Any experts know the cause?

Seriously, this is what you sound like citing one off incidents.

Old 03-07-23, 08:17 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Honestly, the only cars I see broken down are typically some POS old car.
Old 03-08-23, 11:05 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
I saw several F150s get stuck in the snow a couple of times on my last trip to Tahoe. Does that mean the engine is bad or the driver is bad? Any experts know the cause?

Seriously, this is what you sound like citing one off incidents.
of course it was the driver. They probably thought their vehicles could do more or simply they don’t know how to drive on snow. Plenty of folks think they can do it all with their big lifted trucks. As for the teslas, i have no idea how they work compared to ice. So it was an honest question and I find it interesting for such new vehicles to be in such situations. Sorry if you find it offensive.
Old 03-08-23, 11:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I have never seen a Tesla on the side of the road. I’ve only seen two Teslas being towed. One was into the back of transport truck. The other was on a flat bed on the highway with the four-ways running at the horn honking while being carried away. I did see a person with an old Honda on the side of the road the other day with the hood up.
Old 03-08-23, 11:13 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

of course it was the driver. They probably thought their vehicles could do more or simply they don’t know how to drive on snow. Plenty of folks think they can do it all with their big lifted trucks. As for the teslas, i have no idea how they work compared to ice. So it was an honest question and I find it interesting for such new vehicles to be in such situations. Sorry if you find it offensive.
There are basically two things that would "break down" a Tesla other than flat tires, crashing into something etc. The first is running out of charge. The second is a software glitch, which is possible, but rare. Think of it this way...a Tesla or any EV for that matter is a computer on wheels. Not much to break, but some bad code and you could have something similar to a BSOD (if you use Windows, you may be familiar with that term).

As far as running out of battery, well I can only say that person is an idiot because the car is constantly screaming at you when the batteries get too a certain point (usually 10 percent SoC)

And please forgive my friend @ST430 ....he's over excited about his either new Model S or X paired with possibly too much coffee

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 03-08-23 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-08-23, 11:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
There are basically two things that would "break down" a Tesla other than flat tires, crashing into something etc. The first is running out of charge. The second is a software glitch, which is possible, but rare. Think of it this way...a Tesla or any EV for that matter is a computer on wheels. Not much to break, but some bad code and you could have something similar to a BSOD (if you use Windows, you may be familiar with that term).
What if the window wiper motor burns out? And there is a downpour?

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion