EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-23, 11:33 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Regarding a stopped Tesla, there is lotsa possibilities like with any other vehicle. One thing I used to see a few years back was drivers on the side of the road trying to figure out how to perform whatever task on the tablet. I shouldn't be mean, but it was kinda funny. They shoulda had a kid with them! I haven't seen this since the early days.
Old 03-08-23, 11:39 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Regarding a stopped Tesla, there is lotsa possibilities like with any other vehicle. One thing I used to see a few years back was drivers on the side of the road trying to figure out how to perform whatever task on the tablet. I shouldn't be mean, but it was kinda funny. They shoulda had a kid with them! I haven't seen this since the early days.
I personally find the Tesla interface very intuitive. I figured it out in less than 5 minutes playing with my brother in laws Model 3. My brother in law who is nearly 60 and completely as un tech savvy as it gets figured out the screen pretty quickly. Maybe we are kids at heart .

Of all the thousands of Tesla's and other cars on the road, I've never seen one broken down yet, although I have seen tons of other broken down non EV's
Old 03-08-23, 11:51 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Tesla Could Reduce EV Costs By About 50% In Next 5 Years: Ark Invest

Tesla already reduced EV costs by 50% from the Model S and X to the Model 3 and Y. Now it will do it again with its next-gen platform

Tesla already noted that its upcoming next-gen EV platform will allow it to reduce costs, but there have been few details and no official timeline. Based on several pieces of information shared during the US EV maker's recent Investor Day, Tesla bull investment firm Ark Invest is predicting that the company will be able to reduce vehicle costs by around 50 percent over the next five years.

It seems Tesla already has some of the best vehicle margins in the industry, which has allowed it to cut prices on its cars significantly. As Tesla upgrades current factories and builds more, economies of scale help it reduce costs. Add the fact that the automaker continues to take on more in-house responsibilities, its battery-related efforts, and the confirmation of a new platform soon, and there's a recipe for spectacular margins.

Tesla’s Chief Financial Officer Zachary Kirkhorn concluded during the Investor Day presentation that the company is constantly working on cost reduction at every level and with the help of every team. He noted that Tesla already cut EV costs by 50% if you compare the flagship Model S and Model X to the newer Model 3 and Model Y.

Tesla was expected to reveal its next-gen platform at Investor Day and provide more details about its upcoming product roadmap. While they did touch on such subjects, the company's executives and team members didn't divulge much, aside from larger ideas and concepts.

Nonetheless, according to Ark Invest, Tesla did reveal how it will reduce vehicle and production-related costs. The steps as shared by Tesla and outlined by Ark Invest are as follows, via Teslarati:
  • Tesla plans to produce 100% of controllers in next-gen vehicles
  • Tesla plans to switch to 48-volt battery architecture
  • Next-gen Tesla vehicles will use local ethernet-connected controllers.
  • Tesla will transition to a parallel assembly process.
As you can see, the first step has to do with Tesla taking over more responsibilities in-house, which it continues to do at a growing rate. The presentation had a detailed discussion about 48-volt architecture, which Tesla was expected to eventually adopt. The EV producer also showed how the future assembly process will work.

Using the local ethernet-connected controllers will make the various wiring harnesses less complex, and we know based on several teardowns from Sandy Munro that Tesla already has much simpler wiring harnesses than the competition. In conclusion, Ark invest reported:

“These electrical architecture changes should cut costs and give Tesla more control over its supply chain at the component level. They also will enable Tesla to transition its manufacturing to a parallel assembly process, slashing its manufacturing footprint and wasted time by 40% and 30%, respectively,"

https://insideevs.com/news/656182/te...-years-report/
Old 03-08-23, 11:53 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

On a related/unrelated note, my F150 Lightning is the best truck I've ever driven in low traction conditions by a massive margin. It is astonishingly good at getting the power down in conditions that would have had all my previous trucks fishtailing all over the place. The combination of an EV powertrain, instant torque management and the independent rear suspension delivers the goods in difficult conditions.
Old 03-08-23, 11:56 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
On a related/unrelated note, my F150 Lightning is the best truck I've ever driven in low traction conditions by a massive margin. It is astonishingly good at getting the power down in conditions that would have had all my previous trucks fishtailing all over the place. The combination of an EV powertrain, instant torque management and the independent rear suspension delivers the goods in difficult conditions.
BTW on this note, Sandy Monroe called it (the F-150 Lightning) the best work truck on his Monroe Live Channel when he is and his wife were reviewing their Rivian.

You are way, way overdue giving us a review of your Lighting, as you've had it some time now
Old 03-08-23, 12:02 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

BTW:

Ford Lightning Buyers Use Truck Bed Way More Than ICE F-150 Owners

This is the most surprising of several interesting findings revealed by new customer survey data collected by Ford

https://insideevs.com/news/656075/fo...e-f150-owners/
Old 03-08-23, 12:05 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

It's exactly how the Model S is. And I'm sure other EVs. The "millemetric" precision with which torque is sent to each wheel and the instantaneous reaction/control it gets changed up or down depending on available traction is just mind boggling.
Old 03-08-23, 12:11 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hameed
It's exactly how the Model S is. And I'm sure other EVs. The "millemetric" precision with which torque is sent to each wheel and the instantaneous reaction/control it gets changed up or down depending on available traction is just mind boggling.
It is. On a wet soaked slippery rain filled road, I can floor my AWD 476 hp Polestar and not even feel the slightest hesitation or wheel slip. I'm sure some power is being pulled, but it's so imperceptible that I don't even feel it
Old 03-08-23, 01:05 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
BTW on this note, Sandy Monroe called it (the F-150 Lightning) the best work truck on his Monroe Live Channel when he is and his wife were reviewing their Rivian.

You are way, way overdue giving us a review of your Lighting, as you've had it some time now
Yes I do need to do that. Stay tuned!
Old 03-08-23, 01:10 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hameed
Exactly, I'm always amazed at how on the one hand you have this incredible ability to control an EV with such delicacy and precision and on the other unleash all the instant power when you want. They are absolutely Jekyll and Hyde vehicles.

Last edited by swajames; 03-08-23 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-08-23, 01:19 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Exactly, I'm always amazed at how on the one hand you have this incredible ability to control an EV with such delicacy and precision and on the other unleash all the instant power when you want. They are absolutely Jekyll and Hide vehicles.
I guess that's the best way to describe them. And they do it with almost absolutely no sound or NVH. You just feel the torque hit. One minute you are cruising along, the next second you are thrown back in your seat in exhilaration and you passenger is saying Oh ******. It's why I can't go back...
Old 03-08-23, 01:41 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Tesla was using autopilot system in deadly Walnut Creek I-680 crash with firetruck, feds suspect

WALNUT CREEK, Calif. -- U.S. investigators suspect that a Tesla was operating on an automated driving system when it crashed into a firetruck in California last month, killing the driver and critically injuring a passenger.The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Wednesday it has dispatched a special crash investigation team to look into the Feb. 18 crash in Northern California where emergency responders had to cut open the Tesla to remove the passenger. Four Contra Costa County firefighters had minor injuries.

The probe is part of a larger investigation by the agency into multiple instances of Teslas on Autopilot crashing into parked emergency vehicles that are tending to other crashes.

The $1.4 million ladder truck was damaged in the crash on Interstate 680. The truck was parked to shield a crew clearing another accident, fire officials said.

The driver of the the 2014 Tesla Model S was declared dead at the scene.

NHTSA is investigating how Tesla's Autopilot system detects and responds to emergency vehicles parked on highways. At least 15 Teslas have crashed into emergency vehicles nationwide while using the system.

Authorities said the truck had its lights on and was parked diagonally on northbound lanes of the freeway to protect responders to an earlier accident that did not result in injuries.

The fatal accident occurred around 4 a.m., and it took several hours to clear the freeway. The firetruck had to be towed away.

The Model S was among the nearly 363,000 vehicles Tesla recalled in February because of potential flaws in "Full Self-Driving" a more sophisticated partially automated driving system.

The recall, to be done with an online software update, is aimed at correcting possible problems at intersections and with speed limits.

Despite their names, Tesla has said both systems are advanced driver assist systems and that human drivers must be ready to intervene at all times.

Messages were left Wednesday seeking comment from Tesla, which has disbanded its public relations department.

Well I guess we'll wait for Elon to respond....

https://abc7news.com/tesla-crashes-i...-680/12929413/
Old 03-08-23, 01:53 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Exactly, I'm always amazed at how on the one hand you have this incredible ability to control an EV with such delicacy and precision and on the other unleash all the instant power when you want. They are absolutely Jekyll and Hyde vehicles.
Awesome description!!👍👍
Old 03-08-23, 04:32 PM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786

Tesla was using autopilot system in deadly Walnut Creek I-680 crash with firetruck, feds suspect

WALNUT CREEK, Calif. -- U.S. investigators suspect that a Tesla was operating on an automated driving system when it crashed into a firetruck in California last month, killing the driver and critically injuring a passenger.The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Wednesday it has dispatched a special crash investigation team to look into the Feb. 18 crash in Northern California where emergency responders had to cut open the Tesla to remove the passenger. Four Contra Costa County firefighters had minor injuries.

The probe is part of a larger investigation by the agency into multiple instances of Teslas on Autopilot crashing into parked emergency vehicles that are tending to other crashes.

The $1.4 million ladder truck was damaged in the crash on Interstate 680. The truck was parked to shield a crew clearing another accident, fire officials said.

The driver of the the 2014 Tesla Model S was declared dead at the scene.

NHTSA is investigating how Tesla's Autopilot system detects and responds to emergency vehicles parked on highways. At least 15 Teslas have crashed into emergency vehicles nationwide while using the system.

Authorities said the truck had its lights on and was parked diagonally on northbound lanes of the freeway to protect responders to an earlier accident that did not result in injuries.

The fatal accident occurred around 4 a.m., and it took several hours to clear the freeway. The firetruck had to be towed away.

The Model S was among the nearly 363,000 vehicles Tesla recalled in February because of potential flaws in "Full Self-Driving" a more sophisticated partially automated driving system.

The recall, to be done with an online software update, is aimed at correcting possible problems at intersections and with speed limits.

Despite their names, Tesla has said both systems are advanced driver assist systems and that human drivers must be ready to intervene at all times.

Messages were left Wednesday seeking comment from Tesla, which has disbanded its public relations department.

Well I guess we'll wait for Elon to respond....

https://abc7news.com/tesla-crashes-i...-680/12929413/
Is it the same last month accident?
Old 03-08-23, 04:50 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Longevite1
Is it the same last month accident?
Yes, I believe so

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion