EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-23, 04:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

https://www.blogto.com/city/2023/03/...s-car-toronto/

Originally Posted by Longevite1
Is it the same last month accident?

There was a crash in Toronto other day. The Tesla was on fire

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/03/08/...s-falling-off/

Tesla still needs improvements in QC

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-08-23 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-08-23, 09:23 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
It's exactly how the Model S is. And I'm sure other EVs. The "millemetric" precision with which torque is sent to each wheel and the instantaneous reaction/control it gets changed up or down depending on available traction is just mind boggling.
Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
It is. On a wet soaked slippery rain filled road, I can floor my AWD 476 hp Polestar and not even feel the slightest hesitation or wheel slip. I'm sure some power is being pulled, but it's so imperceptible that I don't even feel it
I would probably give more credit to the software programming of the traction control. It's actually way easier to spin the wheels of an EV than an equivalently powered ICE vehicle (with traction control off) because of the instant torque sent to the wheels.
Old 03-08-23, 09:42 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
I would probably give more credit to the software programming of the traction control. It's actually way easier to spin the wheels of an EV than an equivalently powered ICE vehicle (with traction control off) because of the instant torque sent to the wheels.
That's for sure the case. TC in an EV doesn't have to deal with engines, transmissions, differentials etc. Just precision controlled electric motors connected to the wheels. Power can be pulled or moved to individual wheels as needed in micro seconds. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure if I turned off TC (which I can) my wheels would spin out of control with all that instant torque
Old 03-09-23, 07:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

https://www.govtech.com/question-of-...-for?_amp=true

Interesting issue
Old 03-09-23, 07:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

BTW:

Ford Lightning Buyers Use Truck Bed Way More Than ICE F-150 Owners

not sure we need ford articles in here too.
Old 03-09-23, 07:46 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

MKBHD took his Rivian out to charge and covered a bunch of different issues he sees with charging non-Teslas at superchargers. I found the guy trying to charge his F-150 lightning interesting as he basically had to get uncomfortably close to even get it to plug in.
Old 03-09-23, 07:57 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

I finally used my first Tesla supercharger last weekend and after I backed in I realized how short the charging cable was when I tried to plug in so I had to get back in and back up a foot or so more. It could have been the way the charging station I used was set up but there wasn't much more room to back up.
Old 03-09-23, 08:05 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I finally used my first Tesla supercharger last weekend and after I backed in I realized how short the charging cable was when I tried to plug in so I had to get back in and back up a foot or so more. It could have been the way the charging station I used was set up but there wasn't much more room to back up.
Yup, in my experience they're all like that. You have to back right up to it. I did the same thing as you my first few times.
Old 03-09-23, 08:17 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

The current Tesla roll-out to non Tesla vehicles is still in trial so everyone else is, rather obviously, going to have to use charging stations and cables that were specifically designed for Tesla vehicles... The superchargers which will be open to others will be fitted/retro-fitted with longer CCS cables over time. For now, complaints about Tesla cables not working with other EVs are like complaints that you can't run Windows software on your iPhone.
Old 03-09-23, 08:21 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not sure we need ford articles in here too.
Fair enough. No more Ford article from me. In the Tesla thread that is
Old 03-09-23, 08:27 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
We took my brother in laws Tesla to a Fremont Tesla charging station, and you just back up until your car warns you to stop. You get used to after the first or second time. Trust me, it's easier than an EA charging station. Depending where they are and how many they put in a location, they position them really weird so that you don't know if you should back in or drive forward, as my Polestar has the charging port on the rear passenger side where a gas fill would be. When I was at a SoCal EA last month, I was at a location called Ontario Mills where they have 8 EA fast chargers, they put them side by side facing different directions, so when I backed into one of them, I realized that I had to pull out than pull in forward so it would reach my charging port. Tesla's are simple....just back in, plug in and you are done
Old 03-09-23, 02:11 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Tesla was using autopilot system in deadly Walnut Creek I-680 crash with firetruck, feds suspect

https://abc7news.com/tesla-crashes-i...-680/12929413/
So much about an accident on a busy freeway and media made a big deal because it's a Tesla. Lol. Ultimately the driver has some responsibility when things like this happen. It amazes me that NHTSA let something like this on the street. Sure the driver signs the documents to consent. But what about the public? Imagine what would happen if a Japanese or Korean car were to blame? Since we're on auto pilot, how does it react when it enters a round about?
Old 03-09-23, 02:16 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1111GS
So much about an accident on a busy freeway and media made a big deal because it's a Tesla. Lol. Ultimately the driver has some responsibility when things like this happen. It amazes me that NHTSA let something like this on the street. Sure the driver signs the documents to consent. But what about the public? Imagine what would happen if a Japanese or Korean car were to blame? Since we're on auto pilot, how does it react when it enters a round about?
I think the driver using FSD is still under investigation, it's not fully confirmed yet. Also one thing to note...it's a 2014 Model S, so if he was using FSD, would the older sensors/cameras (8 years old) be part of the blamn? Hopefully we will find out
Old 03-09-23, 03:43 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

I think the driver using FSD is still under investigation, it's not fully confirmed yet. Also one thing to note...it's a 2014 Model S, so if he was using FSD, would the older sensors/cameras (8 years old) be part of the blamn? Hopefully we will find out
There is no FSD on a 2014 Model S, period. Hardware on the S was only "capable" of FSD sometime in 2017
Old 03-09-23, 03:46 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hameed
There is no FSD on a 2014 Model S, period. Hardware on the S was only "capable" of FSD sometime in 2017
Well there you go @111GS FSD (self driving) wouldn't even be involved in this case. Auto pilot is not self driving, it's basically advanced cruise control, or "smart cruise control"

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion