EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-22, 09:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I think we are likely close to the bottom for Tesla. Buying it now is not a bad idea at all.
Old 12-29-22, 09:07 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,935 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Toyota is going to be fine
Why do you think this? From a financial perspective not "just because".
Originally Posted by Margate330
How low ya'll think Tesla stock will go until it hits bottom or ya'll think we're already there and just idling?
I have a good track record the last 5 years predicting the markets, this year nope. Don't know how low TSLA can go, you'd think it reached the bottom given the absurd sell off volume but how knows.
My prediction(which means nothing of course, just a guess) is when the "winds change" aka the "media backs off musk and any negative publicity of Tesla" as they push and rally the "perceived" stock value back up to meet it's real value.
They will all have egg on their face when Twitter ends up being much better, makes money and does it with 25% of the workforce Twitter had previously.
PS- Lex2k- what you think about Tesla either partnering or gobbling up other car mfg's that don;t "cut the mustard" and could be facing bankruptcy in the future?
Such as once popular brands or models resurrected as a spin off from Tesla?
I don't think legacy auto has anything to offer Tesla. Tesla is all about software and technology in general what other auto companies have this? Let's use Nissan as an example they are most likely to bankrupt IMO, what does Nissan have that Tesla wants?

All the ICE tooling and ICE specific supply chain in general has negative value.
Old 12-29-22, 09:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Why do you think this? From a financial perspective not "just because".
Because Toyota is a massive company with lots of cash and a lot of diversified revenue streams, one recession is not going to hurt Toyota in the slightest.

They will all have egg on their face when Twitter ends up being much better, makes money and does it with 25% of the workforce Twitter had previously.
I have no doubt that Musk can turn Twitter into a viable and better business. BUT, he is rapidly becoming a Right, Alt-Right icon and that will hurt Tesla's position as a car that is the darling of the progressive left. I can see a time coming very soon where in those circles driving a Tesla would not be positive socially, and I already know very left leaning people who say Musk will keep them from ever buying a Tesla. They will buy EVs, just not Teslas.

I guarantee you there are a lot of executives at Tesla that are very worried about this.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-29-22 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-29-22, 09:21 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 469 Likes on 310 Posts

Tesla’s market share is going down year by year.

https://electrek.co/2022/11/29/tesla...t-shares-data/
Old 12-29-22, 09:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey

Thats to be expected as more and more EVs come on the market. That in and of itself isn't troubling.
Old 12-29-22, 09:25 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Because Toyota is a massive company with lots of cash and a lot of diversified revenue streams, one recession is not going to hurt Toyota in the slightest.
It appears you've done just about zero research into Toyota's financials
If Cash to Debt ratio is less than 1, the company cannot pay off its debt using the cash in hand. Here we can see, Toyota Motor couldn't pay off its debt using the cash in hand for the quarter that ended in Sep. 2022.
Not a great position to be in, a recession would make this far worse.
I guarantee you there are a lot of executives at Tesla that are very worried about this.
Like who? Since you guarantee, name one.
Old 12-29-22, 09:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This article in the NY Times describes what I am talking about:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/23/o...sla-brand.html
Old 12-29-22, 09:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It appears you've done just about zero research into Toyota's financials

Not a great position to be in, a recession would make this far worse.
And you clearly don't know much about the economics of running a company. Its not at all unsual for a company to be unable to pay their long term debt with their cash on hand. Toyota is one of the strongest companies out there, and certainly one of the strongest automakers.

If Toyota fails, I'll buy you a Tesla.

Like who? Since you guarantee, name one.
Read the article I just posted. I can't name any executives myself, but if I have thought of this and the NY Times has thought of this, Tesla executives have too, Musk's public behavior of late has been bad for Tesla. There is no question about that.

I know you think Musk is a God that can do no wrong, but hes not and hes making an enemy out of Tesla's core customer, and the target customers early EV growth is going to come from. Not smart.
Old 12-29-22, 09:36 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I’ll likely get attacked for this, but about 9 months ago I seriously considered buying a Tesla, but today, I won’t even consider one. And that is all because of Musk and his antics.
Old 12-29-22, 09:47 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

This article in the NY Times describes what I am talking about:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/23/o...sla-brand.html
From the same author

Elon Musk Has No Idea What He’s Doing at Twitter

This will look comical in hindsight, just like many posts in this thread. What's bizarre is some people never learn, they continue to be wrong but repeat the same talking points. And are wrong again.

I don't understand this.
Originally Posted by JDR76
I’ll likely get attacked for this, but about 9 months ago I seriously considered buying a Tesla, but today, I won’t even consider one. And that is all because of Musk and his antics.
Nothing to apologize for if you don't like the ethics of a certain CEO buy from another company.
Originally Posted by peteharvey

But sales are increasing 40-50% every year. This is impossible their share is going down!

Last edited by LeX2K; 12-29-22 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-29-22, 09:49 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 992 Likes on 791 Posts

Maybe just a little but I'll go easy on ya!
J/k that was totally a joke!, nothing but love for ya brother.. haha

Ok, just my opinion and opening my big mouth, again, lol
I think the Tesla has proved itself in may categories as a leader, worthy opponent, and affordabe to many.

What this means as I see it- it's a product that stands on it's own merit and will survive no problem at all regardless of anybodys political affiliations or preferences.
PS- that's as far as I go on that cuz politics is forbidden on this site as I understand it so leaving it alone.
Old 12-29-22, 09:56 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Let's revisit this. Think I see a trend.

I called it.
Short term thinking as it has been pointed out many times Amazon was not profitable for 2 decades. And their start up costs were far far lower.
Tesla is now a money printing machine.

I know you think Musk is a God that can do no wrong, but hes not and hes making an enemy out of Tesla's core customer, and the target customers early EV growth is going to come from. Not smart.
Thanks for trying to read my mind and failing. I don't think this, Elon has made many mistakes the difference is he quickly corrects them. And it is those mistakes that enables him to take chances, nothing ventured nothing gained.

At this point there is a mountain of hard evidence Elon Musk knows exactly what he is doing. Tesla, SpaceX, Starlink. And soon Twitter will take off from a financial perspective. If you focus in only on the stock market and the shrieking media (when do they ever get anything right?) you are poorly informed at best.

Last edited by LeX2K; 12-29-22 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-29-22, 10:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Let's revisit this. Think I see a trend.

I called it.
t.
Why do you keep quoting me?
Old 12-29-22, 10:07 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Why do you keep quoting me?
Why did you quote me? Because that's how this forum works, you quote people for the sake of discussion and education.
Old 12-29-22, 10:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Exactly. There are a lot of people like you, his antics are bad for business especially when the people his antics endear him to aren't consumers for his product and the people his antics estrange him from are.

From the same author

Elon Musk Has No Idea What He’s Doing at Twitter

This will look comical in hindsight, just like many posts in this thread. What's bizarre is some people never learn, they continue to be wrong but repeat the same talking points. And are wrong again.
Sorry, politics and business don't mix. What Musk is doing right now is bad for Tesla's business, bottom line.

Nothing to apologize for if you don't like the ethics of a certain CEO buy from another company.
Thats what people are doing and will do. Thats the point. Companies remove CEOs who damage their brand in this way for this reason.

Thanks for trying to read my mind and failing. I don't think this
You could have fooled us.

The bottom line is, a company's stock doesn't crater like this for no reason. Musk's antics are a big reason why it has.

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion