EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-23, 04:27 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Well there you go @111GS FSD (self driving) wouldn't even be involved in this case. Auto pilot is not self driving, it's basically advanced cruise control, or "smart cruise control"
​​​​​

Although I always talk about how I don’t love the way Tesla markets FSD, even if this car was equipped with it there has to be some driver responsibility in an accident like this. I mean you are screaming toward an object and you don’t think to take over? There are times I hit the brake because I don’t trust autopilot sometimes because it brakes later than I would like.
Old 03-09-23, 04:29 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
Yup, in my experience they're all like that. You have to back right up to it. I did the same thing as you my first few times.
Yeah it was amateur hour for sure, felt like a loser in front of the other Teslas there when I had to get back in and back up more.
Old 03-09-23, 04:53 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,152 Likes on 1,673 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Yeah it was amateur hour for sure, felt like a loser in front of the other Teslas there when I had to get back in and back up more.
I would have loved to have been there to that
Old 03-09-23, 05:00 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 520 Likes on 319 Posts

We took my brother in laws Tesla to a Fremont Tesla charging station, and you just back up until your car warns you to stop. You get used to after the first or second time.
All Teslas built in the last 6 months or so were built without any parking sensors to save Tesla money. So be careful backing up now, it's much like your previous 2008 Civic with no sensors, just a camera.

Around here in winter the cost of supercharging is more than the cost of buying gas, but we get real winter -35C and the like. I know Tesla owners who will now take their gas vehicle on road trips when it's cold out since it's the same cost but saves you time.

Last edited by LS500Fan; 03-09-23 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-09-23, 05:09 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LS500Fan
All Teslas built in the last 6 months or so were built without any parking sensors to save Tesla money. So be careful backing up now, it's much like your previous 2008 Civic with no sensors, just a camera.

Around here in winter the cost of supercharging is more than the cost of buying gas, but we get real winter -35C and the like. I know Tesla owners who will now take their gas vehicle on road trips when it's cold out since it's the same cost but saves you time.
I didn't realize they removed the parking sensors. At least they still have the "Red Zone" marker which is helpful.

Here in the Bay Area they charge according to time of day. Off peak (9pm to 4pm) it's between .14 cents and .22 cents per kWh. Peak hours could be .58 cents per kWh
Old 03-09-23, 05:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
https://youtu.be/W-oaVLRH-js

MKBHD took his Rivian out to charge and covered a bunch of different issues he sees with charging non-Teslas at superchargers. I found the guy trying to charge his F-150 lightning interesting as he basically had to get uncomfortably close to even get it to plug in.
Appears to be a bit of a hassle. I would be pretty pissed if were a Tesla owner. $30 to to from 30-85% in 30 is just not worth it my opinion.

Originally Posted by LS500Fan

It will continue to get more expensive.
Old 03-09-23, 05:52 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

I didn't realize they removed the parking sensors. At least they still have the "Red Zone" marker which is helpful.

Here in the Bay Area they charge according to time of day. Off peak (9pm to 4pm) it's between .14 cents and .22 cents per kWh. Peak hours could be .58 cents per kWh
They removed parking sensors and will be replacing it with vision based parking sensors... someday. It'll be delivered via software update. I'm skeptical, people have been waiting for a while now for that update. I'm glad our Model Y has them. Not so excited that our Model X won't have them as they just started taking them out of S/X but it is what it is.
Old 03-09-23, 07:39 PM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Why is model 3 the cheapest to rent on hertz? I thought ir was supposed to be premium? Has it always been like this or this is recent?
Old 03-10-23, 12:05 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 536 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Why is model 3 the cheapest to rent on hertz? I thought ir was supposed to be premium? Has it always been like this or this is recent?
Probably demand. Last time I rented, they offered me a Model 3 for a good discount.
Old 03-10-23, 04:39 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 681 Likes on 426 Posts

Hertz is in the process of buying 100,000 (mostly) Model 3, with reportedly half of them delivered by the end of 2022. Supposedly one in ten of their fleet is a Tesla, and they are probably promoting them to maximize their use because they will be cheaper to maintain than equivalent ICE cars in their fleet.
Old 03-14-23, 10:05 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

The Tesla Model Y was the best-selling premium SUV in China last month. Tesla remains one of China’s top-selling EV brands. The Tesla Model 3 also nabbed a top spot in February 2023 NEV sales.

Tesla sold approximately 25,526 Model Y vehicles in February. The BYD Tang DM followed Tesla with 10,783 units sold. The Tesla Model 3 was China’s third best-selling new electric vehicle (NEV), with 8,397 units sold.

Tesla dominated NEV sales for models priced between RMB 200,000 ($29,138.80) and RMB 300,000 ($437,08.20). Tesla China’s February 2023 sales reveal the gap between BYD’s Tang DM and the Model Y in the premium car market. The Tang DM is a compact 5-seater battery electric vehicle. It costs between RMB 205,911 ($30,000) to RMB 274,548 ($40,000). BYD has a monthly production capacity of 1,000 units for the Tang DM.

Giga Shanghai’s 5-seater Model Y currently starts at RMB 261,900 for the RWD version. The Long Range Model Y costs RMB 311,900 before options, and the Model Y Performance starts at RMB 361,900. Meanwhile, the Tesla Model 3 RWD costs RMB 229,900 before options, and the Model 3 Performance starts at RMB 329,900. As of February 1, 2023, Giga Shanghai’s production capacity is 20,000 units per week between the Model 3 and Model Y.

Regarding the affordable NEV segment, with prices ranging from RMB 100,000 ($14,569.40) to RMB 200,000 ($29,138.80), BYD reigned supreme. The Chinese automaker took the top three spots for best-selling affordable NEV with the Song+ DM-i, Dolphin, and Yuan+. The BYD Song+ DM-i is a Plug-in Hybrid SUV. BYD sold 29,931 Song+ units last month. The Dolphin and Yuan+ are both fully electric vehicles. BYD sold 22,682 Dolphin EVs and 20,279 Yuan+ units in February.

Chinese automakers dominated the RMB 100,000 ($14,569.40) to RMB 200,000 ($29,138.80) NEV segment. Foreign automakers might have difficulty breaking through the segment as local car manufacturers improve their car designs and the technology that goes in them.

Tesla does not have a vehicle within that price bracket at the moment. However, the long-awaited Tesla Model 2 would fit in the segment with an expected price tag of $25,000. Volkswagen may also try to make waves in the segment with the ID.2, which is rumored to start at €22,500 ($23,823)

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-mode...ling-suv-2023/
Old 03-14-23, 01:41 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Tesla’s Fremont Factory continues to receive refinements and upgrades to help with the production of electric vehicles, filings show.

Tesla continuously upgrades its factories, and through the daily operation of machinery, things continue to be fixed, replaced, and refined to keep manufacturing lines moving.

However, Tesla is doing more than just routine production line maintenance at the Fremont Factory.

Over the past year, the automaker has started preparing for a new Model 3 design and potential refresh with the Model Y and even started preparing for Cybertruck battery production on the second floor of the plant.

Tesla seems to be making even more refinements to Fremont in preparation for a smoother manufacturing process and could be preparing for changes in the production line to prepare for the new vehicles.

Over the past month, Tesla has made numerous improvements to production lines, including tool updates and installations, filings seen by Teslarati show. These improvements were made to several lines and occurred on February 19, 23, and 24, as well as on March 2 and 3.

The tooling upgrades can help with everything from build quality to the overall operation of the plant.

After building hundreds of thousands of vehicles at the plant annually, upgrades are required to keep the facility in working order, especially as Tesla has overwhelming demand for its vehicles in the U.S.

Additionally, new ground in rollers and lifter tools were installed at the facility on March 9 and 10, respectively.

The changes at the plant follow the installation of several new manufacturing lines to support Project Highland, which was the codename given to the Model 3 revamp last year. Additionally, Tesla started implementing automated quality control at Fremont that would help monitor build quality earlier this year.

Tesla has long struggled with build quality complaints in its vehicles but has improved over the years. The installation of new equipment at Fremont helps continue these improvements, and the development of new technology, like the automated quality control equipment, helps raise the standard of Tesla’s cars.

PROJECT JUNIPER – NO HINTS YET

Filings seen by Teslarati have yet to mention specific upgrades for the potential Model Y revamp, known as Project Juniper

Tesla started filing improvements related to Project Highland about six months before reports started circulating on the new Model 3 program.

Tesla has been building the Model Y at Fremont since its initial production phases in 2020 but it is now built at Gigafactory Texas in the United States, also.

Tesla may not be completely overhauling the vehicle, according to some reports, and instead could opt for more refinements to increase the quality and the DNA of the vehicle, as it did for the Model S and Model X in 2021.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-frem...hland-juniper/
Old 03-15-23, 11:15 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Tesla Supercharging times have reduced by one-third in just five years, the company said, as its efforts to alleviate false narratives related to elongated charging sessions have improved thanks to technological advancements.

Tesla’s Supercharger Network is already the most robust in the industry, and its tech is arguably the best out there. In terms of dependability, we seldom hear that a Tesla Supercharger is out of order, and if it is, it could be due to routine service or updates.

Other EV charging companies have not been able to match the expansion or dependability of Tesla’s Superchargers, and it’s one of the key reasons consumers flock to its vehicles over competitors.

Tesla revealed this morning that its Supercharging times had been reduced by 30 percent over the past five years, and this is despite the mass adoption of EVs over that time.

The Model 3 was introduced just one year earlier and basically triggered Tesla into the hypothetical stratosphere in terms of becoming the first brand to truly offer a widely affordable and effective electric model. Of course, there were precursors before it, like the Chevrolet Bolt, for example.

Tesla defined six main reasons for its reduction in Supercharger times:
  • Transition to the V3 Supercharger
  • Efficient Routing with Trip Planner
  • Supercharger Density Increasing
  • Vehicle Efficiency
  • Battery Pre-Heating
  • Customer Education
These six factors have all contributed to the reduction in Supercharging times in different ways.

The V3 Superchargers were unveiled in 2019 and enabled charging speeds of up to 250 kW, or 1,000 miles of range in an hour, but only in ideal conditions. This alone has contributed to shorter wait times, but there are a variety of other factors that Tesla seems to believe were more crucial.

Tesla is already moving past V3 and moving to V4, which will be even faster than the previous iteration of Supercharger. The first installations are already underway in Europe and seem to support the introduction of non-Tesla EV charging with longer cables.

The Trip Planner feature helps drivers visit Superchargers along a route that would help them get from Point A to Point B in the most efficient manner possible.

This doesn’t require elongated waits at Superchargers but relatively short stints at various charging stations that help make a drive faster and wait times less of a hassle.

Tesla has also placed a distinct focus on expanding the Supercharger Network over the past several years and expanded from 31,498 connectors in 2021 to 42,419 in 2022, a 35 percent increase.

Other tech has undoubtedly contributed to the reduction in Supercharger times, but the important thing is that the misconceptions regarding EV charging are being debunked.

While it is still not a five or ten-minute task to charge an EV in today’s age, there is also the option of Home Charging, which gives people the option to wake up every morning to a full charge.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-supe...ced-one-third/
Old 03-15-23, 01:12 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,937 Likes on 2,473 Posts

Tesla is turning down government money because of regulations requiring chargers to accept payment via a computer/screen on the charger. This is so stupid the Tesla app works flawlessly.

Tesla Turns Down $6 Million In Public Funding For Superchargers

Old 03-15-23, 01:43 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Tesla is turning down government money because of regulations requiring chargers to accept payment via a computer/screen on the charger. This is so stupid the Tesla app works flawlessly.

Tesla Turns Down $6 Million In Public Funding For Superchargers

This is true, but there are people who don't trust adding their credit cards to an app (ahem...my wife ), even though it's the safest payment method, avoids skimmers, etc. I've added all my cards to Google Pay and I never pull them out of my wallet. Now if I can just convince my wife. Sigh...

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 03-15-23 at 01:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion