EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-23, 06:56 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 394 Likes on 268 Posts

There is a supercharger station right across the street from where I shop for food on LI - next time I go, I will have to drive through it to see what kind of cars I see charging there now.
Old 03-17-23, 07:08 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
So there are:

destination chargers and superchargers. I didn’t know this.
One way to think about it is, you go to a supercharger explicitly to charge your car so you can continue on your way. Maybe (probably) there's something you can do there while it charges, but you might not choose to go there if not for the need to charge.

A destination charger is at a place you're going anyway, so while you're parked there for a few hours--or overnight, many of these are at hotels--why not top off? When I stayed in Rochester a couple of weeks ago, the hotel had 4 charging bays at the side. I parked the Polestar 2 there overnight on the last night to top it up. It didn't matter how long the charge took, because I was asleep. Had I not been in an EV, I would have just parked in a different spot 50 feet away, but I'd still have been in the same place.
Old 03-17-23, 07:41 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,152 Likes on 1,673 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
There is a supercharger station right across the street from where I shop for food on LI - next time I go, I will have to drive through it to see what kind of cars I see charging there now.
An Electrify America? They are usually placed in shopping centers, malls etc. Tesla usually have their own areas, but also sometimes places them near malls and shopping centers

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 03-17-23 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-17-23, 07:52 AM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

I was browsing tesla.com and noticed there are a significant number of “demo vehicles”. What are these? Where are they from?
Old 03-17-23, 07:54 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I was browsing tesla.com and noticed there are a significant number of “demo vehicles”. What are these? Where are they from?
These are the vehicles they display in their showrooms and used for test drives. Usually 50 miles or less on the odometer
Old 03-17-23, 08:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

this thread is all over the place,
Old 03-17-23, 08:03 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1111GS
An example of a demo vehicle at the Tesla Fremont showroom

Old 03-17-23, 08:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

‘At some point. There needs to be one fit standard for all makes and models
so at the local gas station i usually use, i think there's 5 types of gas:

87, 89, 91, non-ethanol, and diesel.

zero instructions for any of it, and i know people constantly put the wrong type of gas in their cars (usually to save money).
the non-ethanol is about 75c more than 'regular' per gallon, i guess it's for really old cars that don't do well with ethanol, or 'purists'?

point is, gas stations aren't 'simple' either.

EV charging is obviously still relatively new, but evolving and improving rapidly, unlike gas stations.

in a few years, i expect ev charging to be simple, convenient, and fast. one way or another (taxes), i doubt it will be less expensive (on the road, not at home with solar, etc.) than gasoline.

if i don't keep my suv next year, i'll probably get an electric vehicle to replace it. what will it be, i don't know yet. i will get a nema or manufacturer charger installed. and it will be a piece of cake. the only 'concern' would be a trip. i'd rather not get to a destination with no charge left. so that will be interesting to deal with.
Old 03-17-23, 08:11 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

How does one know what a V1 or V2 or V3 and now V4 Tesla is? And what are the implications of patronizing one or the other?
It is all very transparent and you don't need to know. You just drive up, plug in and the car adjusts automatically.

That's one of the great things about the Tesla SC network. It's 100 % seamless and works all the time. It's very rare that there is an issue at a Tesla SC.
Old 03-17-23, 08:17 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hameed
It is all very transparent and you don't need to know. You just drive up, plug in and the car adjusts automatically.

That's one of the great things about the Tesla SC network. It's 100 % seamless and works all the time. It's very rare that there is an issue at a Tesla SC.
Same thing with non Tesla, except with non Tesla EV'S you use an app to start the charging by touching your smartphone or credit card on the contactless payment area using NFC

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 03-17-23 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-17-23, 08:35 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
One way to think about it is, you go to a supercharger explicitly to charge your car so you can continue on your way. Maybe (probably) there's something you can do there while it charges, but you might not choose to go there if not for the need to charge.

A destination charger is at a place you're going anyway, so while you're parked there for a few hours--or overnight, many of these are at hotels--why not top off? When I stayed in Rochester a couple of weeks ago, the hotel had 4 charging bays at the side. I parked the Polestar 2 there overnight on the last night to top it up. It didn't matter how long the charge took, because I was asleep. Had I not been in an EV, I would have just parked in a different spot 50 feet away, but I'd still have been in the same place.
In a situation like this if the 4 hotel chargers are in use, say at the end of the day as hotel guests are arriving for the night, wouldn't they most likely be unavailable for the remainder of the night?
Old 03-17-23, 08:49 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
In a situation like this if the 4 hotel chargers are in use, say at the end of the day as hotel guests are arriving for the night, wouldn't they most likely be unavailable for the remainder of the night?
Yes ofcourse
Old 03-17-23, 08:55 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Depending on my charge level, if I had somewhere far to go the next morning I would just head to a nearby fast charger before calling it a night. Or I would head to one in the morning. Destination chargers are relatively cheap as they are level 2 so you will see more and more of them being installed over time, so instead of 4, you will start to see 20, and on and on. Here in the Bay Area, you see lots of them in company and hotel parking lots
Old 03-17-23, 09:00 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Yep, and there actually is a sign asking to only park there while charging. But in the many times I've been to this particular hotel, I've never seen more than two EVs in the parking lot, and never more than one occupying a charger (as I did on one of the four nights I was there). So I didn't worry about it. But I would have no issue moving the car after a couple of hours if there were several. If it were a car I owned, I'd even get a notification on my phone of when to do that. This was a rental, so I didn't have that.

As ​​​@AMIRZA786 mentioned, if there ever started to be a contention issue, you can bet the hotel would just add more units.
Old 03-17-23, 09:13 AM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
this thread is all over the place,
it’s the e version of general car chat thread?

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion