EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-23, 09:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
In a situation like this if the 4 hotel chargers are in use, say at the end of the day as hotel guests are arriving for the night, wouldn't they most likely be unavailable for the remainder of the night?
what would be ideal is that you can reserve the spot with your hotel reservation. With a fee of course. So let’s say you get a hotel room, +$30 charger spot. Problem solved.
Old 03-17-23, 09:32 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so at the local gas station i usually use, i think there's 5 types of gas:

87, 89, 91, non-ethanol, and diesel.

zero instructions for any of it, and i know people constantly put the wrong type of gas in their cars (usually to save money).
the non-ethanol is about 75c more than 'regular' per gallon, i guess it's for really old cars that don't do well with ethanol, or 'purists'?

point is, gas stations aren't 'simple' either.

EV charging is obviously still relatively new, but evolving and improving rapidly, unlike gas stations.

in a few years, i expect ev charging to be simple, convenient, and fast. one way or another (taxes), i doubt it will be less expensive (on the road, not at home with solar, etc.) than gasoline.

if i don't keep my suv next year, i'll probably get an electric vehicle to replace it. what will it be, i don't know yet. i will get a nema or manufacturer charger installed. and it will be a piece of cake. the only 'concern' would be a trip. i'd rather not get to a destination with no charge left. so that will be interesting to deal with.
I could be wrong, but I don't agree with that statement. In California we have the most expensive electricity rates in the country (especially where I live), and yet fast charging is still cheaper than gasoline fill-ups, even at "Guest rates". Home charging, which is 80 percent of EV charging is a no brainer, so I'm leaving that out as a separate discussion. One of the ways they are able to keep electricity rates down during peak periods is store the excess electricity in batteries, which Tesla and now Electrify America has begun to install at their charging stations.

Looking back at my fast charging history, at this point if I pay the Electrify America guest rate of 44 cents per kWh, a trip to SoCal and back (roughly 800 miles) would be around $84. If I took either my former IS350 or my Sienna, assuming I left with a full tank, I would be making a total of 3 fill-ups at $70 or $80 each. Will they make fast charging more expensive as more EV's hit the road? Maybe, I can't say for sure this would not be the case, but at this point in time, it's still cheaper than gasoline fill-ups

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 03-17-23 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-17-23, 09:37 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
what would be ideal is that you can reserve the spot with your hotel reservation. With a fee of course. So let’s say you get a hotel room, +$30 charger spot. Problem solved.
I think the whole point of hotels installing chargers is to encourage EV drivers to stay, not drive them elsewhere. It's one of the amenities they choose to offer, like a swimming pool, exercise room, or free breakfast. I consumed about $7 worth of the hotel's electricity in the 4 nights I was there. No way in hell I would have paid $120 for the privilege (nor would my company have approved the expense if I did). There was an EA charger at one of the places I went to lunch and also at Wegmans, I would have just used one of those and paid the $14.
Old 03-17-23, 09:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
I think the whole point of hotels installing chargers is to encourage EV drivers to stay, not drive them elsewhere. It's one of the amenities they choose to offer, like a swimming pool, exercise room, or free breakfast. I consumed about $7 worth of the hotel's electricity in the 4 nights I was there. No way in hell I would have paid $120 for the privilege (nor would my company have approved the expense if I did). There was an EA charger at one of the places I went to lunch and also at Wegmans, I would have just used one of those and paid the $14.
If I were travelling to see my sister in Georgia. Selecting a hotel and reserving a EV space to charge overnight would be ideal. IMO. No need to arrive and show up to wonder if there are any spaces. No need to go looking for a charger. I guess they could offer them for free with a reservation but you basically pay extra for things as it is.
Old 03-17-23, 09:58 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

If I were travelling to see my sister in Georgia. Selecting a hotel and reserving a EV space to charge overnight would be ideal. IMO. No need to arrive and show up to wonder if there are any spaces. No need to go looking for a charger. I guess they could offer them for free with a reservation but you basically pay extra for things as it is.
I totally see the point, and I think they'll account for that. I mean, right now based on my experience (31 nights in this particular hotel in the past year, with 4 more next week), this hotel really only needs one charging bay. But they have four. Including my usage, I've seen a vehicle charging there a total of 4 nights out of the 31. I would expect if they start seeing 2-3 bays used regularly, they'll add a few more.
Old 03-17-23, 10:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
I totally see the point, and I think they'll account for that. I mean, right now based on my experience (31 nights in this particular hotel in the past year, with 4 more next week), this hotel really only needs one charging bay. But they have four. I would expect if they start seeing 2-3 bays used regularly, they'll add a few more.
That is because there are so few EVS on the road. Most people know they are more difficult/challenging to travel with especially when renting. Imagine if demand for chargers at hotels vastly exceeded supply?
Old 03-17-23, 10:09 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

That is because there are so few EVS on the road. Most people know they are more difficult/challenging to travel with especially when renting. Imagine if demand for chargers at hotels vastly exceeded supply?
But that will be a gradual change, not something that happens overnight. I'm highly confident that when I'm there next week there will not be 10 EVs vying for 4 chargers. The usage will grow over time, and at a certain point, they will decide that it's worthwhile to install additional units.
Old 03-17-23, 10:13 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Demand for EV's is low. Very few of them on the road. Hmmm.....

Tesla is evidently preparing for its all-too-common end-of-quarter push at the Fremont Factory as Q1 comes to a close.

Tesla has routinely used the end of quarters to pack as many deliveries as it can to secure strong sales numbers. It has been a regular occurrence for years, and it is no different in 2023.

As the automaker prepares to secure its last deliveries before the end of the quarter, the Fremont Factory is abuzz with vehicles fresh off of production lines as Tesla prepares to begin pushing vehicles onto haulers and into customer driveways in an attempt to bring stronger numbers than usual.

A flyover from Met God in Wilderness, a Fremont Factory drone operator, shows the Fremont Factory is packed with vehicles that are ready for customer deliveries:

Tesla produces all four vehicles at the Fremont Factory, and is the only plant to produce the Model S and Model X, which recently started deliveries of a new color just a few days ago.

Several Model S and Model X vehicles sporting the new Ultra Red colorway can also be spotted in the lots and driving around the Fremont Test Track in the video.

Tesla is preparing to push these vehicles from these lots to delivery centers across the country. With just over two weeks left in the quarter, Tesla is on track to deliver perhaps its biggest Q1 in company history. It has been able to avoid production stoppages and major drama of any kind in Q1, which makes it indicative of the potential strength in terms of delivery numbers for the quarter.

In terms of delivery expectations, Tesla is expected to deliver 445,000 units, Barron’s reported using Wall Street forecasts. Tesla is expected to deliver 1.8 million vehicles in 2023 as a whole, but CEO Elon Musk said earlier this year the company could be closer to two million, if everything goes right:

“…our internal production potential is actually closer to 2 million vehicles, but we were saying 1.8 million because, I don’t know, there just always seems to be some freaking force majeure thing that happens somewhere on earth. And we don’t control if there’s like earthquakes, tsunamis, wars, pandemics, etc. So if it’s a smooth year, actually, without some big supply chain interruption or massive problem, we actually have the potential to do 2 million cars this year.”

The full video of the Fremont Factory preparing for the end-of-quarter blitz is available below:

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-frem...s-blitz-video/
Old 03-17-23, 10:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
it’s the e version of general car chat thread?
then the title should be changed. with the way things are this forum only needs 3 threads:

ev chat
ice chat
random / adhd chat

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I could be wrong, but I don't agree with that statement. In California we have the most expensive electricity rates in the country (especially where I live), and yet fast charging is still cheaper than gasoline fill-ups, even at "Guest rates". Home charging, which is 80 percent of EV charging is a no brainer, so I'm leaving that out as a separate discussion. One of the ways they are able to keep electricity rates down during peak periods is store the excess electricity in batteries, which Tesla and now Electrify America has begun to install at their charging stations.

Looking back at my fast charging history, at this point if I pay the Electrify America guest rate of 44 cents per kWh, a trip to SoCal and back (roughly 800 miles) would be around $84. If I took either my former IS350 or my Sienna, assuming I left with a full tank, I would be making a total of 3 fill-ups at $70 or $80 each. Will they make fast charging more expensive as more EV's hit the road? Maybe, I can't say for sure this would not be the case, but at this point in time, it's still cheaper than gasoline fill-ups
but that's today. as ev volumes increase and displace ice cars, the state will have a revenue shortfall for road maintenance / upgrades / etc. thus charging (wherever) WILL be taxed more or registrations go up, or both and/or something else (tolls).
Old 03-17-23, 10:19 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

then the title should be changed. with the way things are this forum only needs 3 threads:

ev chat
ice chat
random / adhd chat

but that's today. as ev volumes increase and displace ice cars, the state will have a revenue shortfall for road maintenance / upgrades / etc. thus charging (wherever) WILL be taxed more or registrations go up, whatever.
I'm not saying you are wrong, but we do pay an extra fee to register EV's. I have to look it up, but I pay at least an extra $200 a year to register my Polestar, Ioniq, and now Bolt (each)

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 03-17-23 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-17-23, 10:56 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Demand for EV's is low. Very few of them on the road. Hmmm.....
Who are you referencing that said demand is low?

lexctjill isn’t wrong about not seeing them on the road, I think the density of EV cars you’d spot on the road is still very location specific. CA high density but here in NC I see one maybe every 200-300 cars? And those are often my friends or neighbors. still not common, but certainly increasing.
Old 03-17-23, 11:01 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Who are you referencing that said demand is low?

lexctjill isn’t wrong about not seeing them on the road, I think the density of EV cars you’d spot on the road is still very location specific. CA high density but here in NC I see one maybe every 200-300 cars? And those are often my friends or neighbors. still not common, but certainly increasing.
Yes, I was referencing that statement, which is just not correct. 16,000 model Y's alone a month (nearly 300,000 per quarter total output, Model 3, Y, S and X globally) is not low demand, even if you don't "see" them.

Let me put this another way. If I say there is low demand for the Camry because I see more Model 3's and Model Y's in California or where I live (which is true), than factually I would be wrong because overall Toyota sells more Camry's in the US as a whole. And I would welcome someone pointing that out to me and correcting me, and I would thank them on top of that

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 03-17-23 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-17-23, 12:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Yes, I was referencing that statement, which is just not correct. 16,000 model Y's alone a month (nearly 300,000 per quarter total output, Model 3, Y, S and X globally) is not low demand, even if you don't "see" them.
is that 16,000 in the u.s. a month? i assume so. but 15-20 MILLION cars/trucks are sold a year, so that 16,000 doesn't really make much of an impact in most places, especially when 15,000 of those are sold in california

Let me put this another way. If I say there is low demand for the Camry because I see more Model 3's and Model Y's in California or where I live (which is true), than factually I would be wrong because overall Toyota sells more Camry's in the US as a whole. And I would welcome someone pointing that out to me and correcting me, and I would thank them on top of that
camry's have been sold for decades. plus you're now comparing two different models (3/Y) to one (camry). how about adding in the rav4 then too?

all that said, i see at least 1 tesla every time i'm out driving and i live in a relatively small (but rapidly growing) city and area.
Old 03-17-23, 12:40 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

is that 16,000 in the u.s. a month? i assume so. but 15-20 MILLION cars/trucks are sold a year, so that 16,000 doesn't really make much of an impact in most places, especially when 15,000 of those are sold in california

camry's have been sold for decades. plus you're now comparing two different models (3/Y) to one (camry). how about adding in the rav4 then too?

all that said, i see at least 1 tesla every time i'm out driving and i live in a relatively small (but rapidly growing) city and area.
Yes, that is 16K (Model Y's only) per month, I don't know if most end up in the US or global. Their record is 405,300, all models in the 4th quarter (December 2022), which if you think doesn't mean high demand, I don't know what to say. BTW they are behind on production and delivery, so demand is actually way higher than their ability to produce. Model Y is completely sold out this quarter.

The Camry was only an example. I wasn't trying to compare who produces more cars, obviously Toyota overall sells more cars in the US and globally. To say that there is little demand for EV's is just not a factual statement the same way saying Camry's are not in demand just because I see more Tesla's, as I mentioned, Model Y outsells the Camry and Accord in California, but that doesn't mean they are not in demand

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 03-17-23 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-17-23, 01:07 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Sorry nope, you are reading what I said entirely backwards.

first I asked “who said demand is low” in the thread that you were responding to? I looked and didn’t see anything recent referencing low demand so I wondered who you are poking at with your hmmmm rhetorical comment? Who said that?

I didn’t debate there is high demand at all, I agree….

You did refer to Jill’s comment about how many they see on the road (and that’s not at all the same thing as demand) and I was noting how few I see on the road in MY area vs how many you’d typically see in YOUR area. Likely not in the same ballpark

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion