EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-23, 01:29 PM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Yes, that is 16K (Model Y's only) per month, I don't know if most end up in the US or global. Their record is 405,300, all models in the 4th quarter (December 2022), which if you think doesn't mean high demand, I don't know what to say. BTW they are behind on production and delivery, so demand is actually way higher than their ability to produce. Model Y is completely sold out this quarter.

The Camry was only an example. I wasn't trying to compare who produces more cars, obviously Toyota overall sells more cars in the US and globally. To say that there is little demand for EV's is just not a factual statement the same way saying Camry's are not in demand just because I see more Tesla's, as I mentioned, Model Y outsells the Camry and Accord in California, but that doesn't mean they are not in demand
Your comparison of Model Y's sales to Camry and Accord in California doesn't give us a complete understanding of EV vs. traditional vehicle demand. We need to consider broader trends beyond just one state. Also, just because Tesla has production and delivery issues, it doesn't automatically mean EV demand is through the roof compared to traditional vehicles. There could be other factors like supply chain problems or manufacturing capacity affecting this. And about Tesla's record sales in the 4th quarter of 2022, you haven't provided any context. How does that compare to other car manufacturers or the overall car market? Before making any bold claims, let's ensure we have a clear and comprehensive view of the situation.

Old 03-17-23, 01:34 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,152 Likes on 1,673 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Sorry nope, you are reading what I said entirely backwards.

first I asked “who said demand is low” in the thread that you were responding to? I looked and didn’t see anything recent referencing low demand so I wondered who you are poking at with your hmmmm rhetorical comment? Who said that?

I didn’t debate there is high demand at all, I agree….

You did refer to Jill’s comment about how many they see on the road (and that’s not at all the same thing as demand) and I was noting how few I see on the road in MY area vs how many you’d typically see in YOUR area. Likely not in the same ballpark
I went back and re-read your post. And yes, she was referring to how few she sees. I see your point, and apologize if there were any misunderstandings
Old 03-17-23, 01:44 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 703
Your comparison of Model Y's sales to Camry and Accord in California doesn't give us a complete understanding of EV vs. traditional vehicle demand. We need to consider broader trends beyond just one state. Also, just because Tesla has production and delivery issues, it doesn't automatically mean EV demand is through the roof compared to traditional vehicles. There could be other factors like supply chain problems or manufacturing capacity affecting this. And about Tesla's record sales in the 4th quarter of 2022, you haven't provided any context. How does that compare to other car manufacturers or the overall car market? Before making any bold claims, let's ensure we have a clear and comprehensive view of the situation.
California is the biggest auto market in the US, with now 16 percent EV's adoption. That number is growing 20 percent YoY

By 2030, the US forecast is 29.5 percent:

https://evadoption.com/ev-sales/ev-sales-forecasts/

I don't make up these numbers
Old 03-17-23, 01:46 PM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
totally agreed. Why are so many more people interested in Tesla in this state? Gas, HOV, or being green or peer pressure/trend?
Old 03-17-23, 02:29 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1111GS
totally agreed. Why are so many more people interested in Tesla in this state? Gas, HOV, or being green or peer pressure/trend?
I'll let Tesla owners weigh in, as I don't own one (yet). But whittling the argument down to being peer pressure or following trends.... that's almost insulting. Although don't worry, I'm not insulted
Old 03-17-23, 02:40 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,937 Likes on 2,473 Posts

Tesla is growing much faster than legacy auto (many are shrinking) because people love the cars. That's it. There is no vast conspiracy.
Old 03-17-23, 02:51 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
The drive is second to none, no gas and very little maintenance.

I'll update my thread in this forum detailing my ownership experience as I'll have had my S for 4 years in June this year.
Old 03-17-23, 06:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Yes, that is 16K (Model Y's only) per month, I don't know if most end up in the US or global. Their record is 405,300, all models in the 4th quarter (December 2022), which if you think doesn't mean high demand, I don't know what to say.
i didn't say there isn't high demand for teslas. demand is strong! but demand doesn't correspond to density of teslas on the road in all locations. obviously you're at ground 0, teslaville. in many other parts of the country teslas are less popular than bigfoot. but that's different than overall demand.

To say that there is little demand for EV's is just not a factual statemen
right and no one stated that, or at least i didn't!

California is the biggest auto market in the US, with now 16 percent EV's adoption. That number is growing 20 percent YoY
of the people in CA who can actually still afford to buy a new car, it doesn't surprise me that ev sales percentages are climbing fast. tesla is the new iphone.

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Tesla is growing much faster than legacy auto (many are shrinking) because people love the cars. That's it. There is no vast conspiracy.
growth is different than total volume. if tesla sold 1 car in Q1, and 2 cars in Q2, they can issue a press release touting 100% sales growth, but it's irrelevant.

but certainly tesla's growth is awesome!
Old 03-17-23, 07:54 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i didn't say there isn't high demand for teslas. demand is strong! but demand doesn't correspond to density of teslas on the road in all locations. obviously you're at ground 0, teslaville. in many other parts of the country teslas are less popular than bigfoot. but that's different than overall demand.

right and no one stated that, or at least i didn't!

of the people in CA who can actually still afford to buy a new car, it doesn't surprise me that ev sales percentages are climbing fast. tesla is the new iphone.

growth is different than total volume. if tesla sold 1 car in Q1, and 2 cars in Q2, they can issue a press release touting 100% sales growth, but it's irrelevant.

but certainly tesla's growth is awesome!
It's ironic that you compare Tesla to an iPhone, which not only dethroned the top phone makers, made mobile phones and Blackberries irrelevant, but also took away Androids dominance in North America, taking 55.74 percent share. And it's a premium product, engineered from none other than California! Couldn't agree with you more

BTW, I heard iphones are now owned and loved by people in all 50 states of this great union
Old 03-17-23, 08:03 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,937 Likes on 2,473 Posts

More importantly Apple commands something like 80% of smart phone revenue share, not unlike where Tesla is heading in the auto space.
Old 03-18-23, 01:13 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

A good family friends daughter is getting married, and we were invited to a guys only dinner to meet the groom. Turns out one of the attendees who is a friend of the groom (both grew up in Canada) is one of the FSD lead developers! Of course you know where the conversation went. But no matter how much we pried, he couldn't talk much details, but through smiles and smirks we were able to make educated guesses that project Highland, the Mexico plant and the Model 2 are in full swing
Old 03-18-23, 01:30 PM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

It's a bit ironic that Tesla, a company known for its commitment to green and sustainable practices, are going to be transporting cars across borders and 74% of Mexico's electricity generation came from fossil fuels. Mexico is not even a target market for EV sales.

Plus, major differences in environmental regulations between the US and Mexico surely is going to have an impact at that production scale.

Last edited by 703; 03-18-23 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-18-23, 02:20 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 703
It's a bit ironic that Tesla, a company known for its commitment to green and sustainable practices, are going to be transporting cars across borders and 74% of Mexico's electricity generation came from fossil fuels. Mexico is not even a target market for EV sales.

Plus, major differences in environmental regulations between the US and Mexico surely is going to have an impact at that production scale.
I'm not an environmentalist, so that doesn't concern me even a little. It's not about saving the world, from my point of my view, even though Tesla builds the most efficient factories and the most efficient building process of any modern automaker in history

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 03-18-23 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-18-23, 06:13 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 536 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by 703

The Mexico plant makes sense. Large population, educated, proximity to Giga Austin. Less Geo-Political issues... Cheaper to ship from Mexico than China and probably cheaper to manufacture.
Perhaps a cheap Tesla will enable an emerging Central America EV market. It's business.
Old 03-18-23, 06:52 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 681 Likes on 426 Posts

The other thing, at least for now, is the federal EV tax credit. If a Tesla sold in the US us made in Mexico it can qualify for the federal tax credit (subject to the standard conditions), Teslas made in China would not.

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion