EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-23, 11:06 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

As Tesla’s infamous end-of-quarter push gets into gear, hundreds of Tesla vehicles are overwhelming delivery locations in Portugal.

Despite Elon Musk’s efforts to smooth the rate of deliveries and reduce the dependence on the “end of quarter push,” Tesla seems stuck in its old ways as a wave of Tesla deliveries has hit mainland Europe only weeks before the end of Q1 2023. This push has gotten so bad in some parts of Portugal that new owners are asked to pick up their vehicles directly from the truck.

Numerous users on Twitter in Portugal, including Richard Santos Lopes and Esther Kokkelmans, have spotted this recent push of deliveries.

As seen in the pictures posted by both users, trucks that have brought hundreds of Tesla vehicles cumulatively are overwhelming the lots where they are being delivered, hence forcing Tesla to push customers to pick up their vehicles as quickly as possible.

Besides the incredible wave of vehicles crowding out parking areas, the sudden flow of Teslas is worrying many about the lack of Supercharger support in many parts of the world. Specifically, numerous Twitter users who have spotted the wave of deliveries in Portugal have noted the lack of supercharger support. With eight chargers available in the entire Iberian country, that certainly seems to be the case

Perhaps the most surprising part of this push is that Tesla is already having an incredibly successful quarter, particularly in China and Europe. In Germany, the Tesla Model Y reigns supreme as the top EV, stealing the throne from its Model 3 little brother. In China, insurance numbers indicate that Tesla is in for a record quarter in the region after beating analyst expectations. And in the United States, Tesla has retained its luxury automaker crown, keeping the top spot away from long-time champion BMW.

Tesla is clearly on its way toward yet another successful quarter, though it remains to be seen if it can beat analysts’ expectations. However, with many anticipating that Tesla may have a slightly lower quarter as it works to introduce manufacturing improvements, the automaker does have a low bar for achieving an astonishing result.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-deli...-push-q1-2023/

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 03-21-23 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-21-23, 11:12 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
One example is flatscreen TV's and monitors. A Flat screen monitor was over $500 and a 1080P or OLED etc where over $5000 at one time. I picked up a 65" 4k TV from Costco (actually ordered it online) for under $500 in January.
Let's pull back a few decades, transistor cost.
Tesla business discussion-ry8vv4r.jpg

Cost per dropped so much it can't really be comprehended. Latest Nvidia GPU has 75 billion transistors, in 1968 ONE transistor cost $0.20-$1
48v systems are going to lower cost by requiring less wiring, which also reduces weight. It will also allow more accessories to become available. I welcome modernization with open arms
Should have moved to 48 volts a long time ago. One thing is crystal clear to me Tesla bit off more than they can chew with Cybertruck. So many new technologies all at once I'm still skeptical it will ever be released. I know it will be feels like it never will.

Another first is 1000 volt charging.

Old 03-21-23, 11:16 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

@AMIRZA786 You should know better than to post questionable things like that. As you know, it's been confirmed here on Club Lexus that there's no demand for Teslas. You may as well be telling us that the stock is up 7% today alone. More crazy talk!
Old 03-21-23, 11:28 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
@AMIRZA786 You should know better than to post questionable things like that. As you know, it's been confirmed here on Club Lexus that there's no demand for Teslas. You may as well be telling us that the stock is up 7% today alone. More crazy talk!
@swajames I'm going to let you in on a secret. This is all fake stuff I post. I make it up, every bit of it. In reality, nobody wants EV's, especially Tesla's. I photoshopped the whole thing, and used AI to do the write-ups. Tesla's actual sales number are negative 1000,000 units, YoY. Elon is a fraud and uses bicycle pedals and slave labor to fake vehicle movement, because you know, battery driven cars just don't work. Now what do you have to say about that? So go back to your cave in whence you came, and leave me alone

Alright, joke over
Old 03-21-23, 11:36 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Hard to ever really know why a stock is up but TSLA is likely up because Tesla has finally been upgraded by Moody's to investment grade. I personally don't think these ratings are very useful, SVB bank was highly rated.
With two ratings agencies giving Tesla investment grade debt ratings, Tesla is now considered a blue chip company from a corporate debt perspective. Typically this means conservative investors like pension funds and other institutional investors will consider Tesla debt an attractive investment, and makes the borrowing pool for Tesla deeper, and cheaper. There are also ETFs and other passive and actively managed funds that only invest in blue-chip corporate debt.

A interesting question: Why did it take Moody’s so long to upgrade Tesla to investment grade? Not clear. Tesla is right now a top-10 public company in the U.S. by market cap. It has also has been profitable for many quarters now consecutively, has very little debt ($1.597 billion as of the end of Q4), a large cash horde of $22.2 billion at the end of last quarter, and industry best operating margins.
source
Old 03-21-23, 11:43 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Hard to ever really know why a stock is up but TSLA is likely up because Tesla has finally been upgraded by Moody's to investment grade. I personally don't think these ratings are very useful, SVB bank was highly rated.
I don't think Tesla had much exposure to the SVB bank debacle. Thankfully the company I worked for only had only a very small exposure. When it comes to Tesla stock, I don't listen to any professionals, they mostly get it wrong. As long as you are long term, TSLA can be your highest yielding investment. Everything I own from 2020 is way up, some of what I bought after the split is down, but that's a very small amount
Old 03-21-23, 11:53 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

There are some big money investors that are still shorting TSLA. They might get lucky but probably not. I asked Chat GPT how much shorts have lost on TSLA it was too chicken to tell me. I've read that in 2020 alone shorts lost $20 billion. Overall losses could be more than $100 billion. Commonality I see from people that short TSLA is they are highly emotional they don't have a technical reason to short the stock. Emotion=sure way to lose your investments. A fairly famous Youtuber, normally a Tesla bull sold all his stock earlier this year when it was around $110.
Old 03-21-23, 11:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The new tech will just increase the costs. And you have the older vehicles that need support with the older. tech. Constant upgrades....Tesla owners will just continue to fork over more $$ to keep up with the new tech.
you just bought an iphone 14. new tech and not cheap but price hasn't really changed in ages when taking inflation into account.
Old 03-21-23, 11:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Here is an interesting article from the Washington Post on how the Tesla self-driving systems got in such hot water. it puts most of the blame on Musk's management style, and the fact that no one stood up to him.

I tried to copy/paste the entire article, but could not.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...tesla-driving/

Old 03-21-23, 12:07 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

deleted

Last edited by LeX2K; 03-21-23 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-21-23, 03:01 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Exclusive: Tesla's Model 3, Project Highland Exposed: What’s Changing

Tesla has been working on a revamp of one of its most popular vehicles, the Model 3. The project is codenamed Project Highland and the vehicle will see the most profound changes since it launched in 2017.

Despite Tesla keeping the car under wraps for months, we now have early information on the major changes coming to the best-selling electric vehicle of all time. Thanks to a trusted insider, we can confirm and provide more information about Tesla's plans for the car. Inside and out, the Highland will change.

Redesigned Headlights

Caped Model 3s have been spotted with the front bumper, rear end and dash covered. However, more recently the incognito Model 3 also had its headlights covered. The headlight openings that were clear before were now covered in what appeared to be duct tape. Turns out there is a good reason for this. The Model 3 revamp will include redesigned headlights. The new headlights will be a different shape than they are today. Tesla has been providing some models with matrix headlights, but they have yet to be enabled through software yet. Tesla will continue to offer matrix headlights through this redesign, although it's not clear whether they'll be enabled at launch either.

Bumper Camera

A new shape of headlights also means a new front bumper. There has been a lot of speculation that the front of the car is changing after recent images show a smoother front end. Tesla is always looking for more aerodynamics to improve the drag coefficient. However, there's another good reason for redesigning a new front bumper. The front bumper will now house a single camera in the center area of the lower-vent area of the bumper.

The location of the new camera will be very similar to the one shown off on the Cybertruck at Tesla's Investor Day.

Since the company removed USS, people have been wondering how the car will detect objects in what's considered a camera blind spot directly in front of the vehicle. Now we know.

Rear Bumper

The rear bumper of the vehicle is also being redesigned, although it's not clear why. We don't expect the rear camera to change position and there won't be additional cameras in the rear of the vehicle. The new rear bumper could just be to 'refresh' the car or may have cost-saving measures.

Mirrors

Updated mirrors are also joining the party. We're told that they will receive a very minor 'refresh' and will look very similar to the way they do today. It's not clear whether Tesla is changing them to match other areas of the vehicle better or to streamline manufacturing, but we've been told to expect a minor change.

Additional Cameras

Tesla recently launched hardware 4.0 on Model S and Model X cars, although many were surprised to learn that the new vehicles feature the same number of cameras as HW 3 vehicles, when hardware 4 allows for more cameras. This is where Project Highland comes in.

We can now say that more cameras will indeed be used in Project Highland. There will be three new cameras in all, one in the center of the front bumper as we discussed earlier, and two more on the sides of the vehicle.

The fender camera housing will now contain two cameras each. One will face backward as it does now, while the other will point in the other direction. It's not clear how the new camera will be oriented, but we speculate that they will be aimed off to the side to give the car a better view at certain intersections.

Some road junctions have objects such as buildings or bushes that can make it difficult for the vehicle to see with its B-pillar cameras. This often causes the vehicle to creep forward in order to gain enough visibility to proceed. Creeping too far forward sometimes causes the vehicle to be in a poor situation, where it has entered the path of other vehicles. These new cameras are likely aimed at solving this problem.

As previously reported, the repeater camera housing on the front fenders appears to be changing. It now appears to include a line that goes further back than the original. This could be part of the new design.

Project Highland will ship with Tesla's latest supercomputer, Hardware 4. The cameras themselves are expected to be the same cameras featured on HW4 Model S and Model X vehicles. They're estimated to be 5-megapixel cameras with an anti-glare coating. These cameras are significantly more advanced than the current 1.2-megapixel cameras in current HW 3 vehicles.

With the new front bumper cameras and the two additional side cameras, Tesla may now have everything it needs in order to provide a real birds-eye view that is often seen in many vehicles.

Sensors

In order to cut costs, Tesla is removing the vehicle's temperature sensor that is used to detect the temperature outside of the vehicle. Instead of using a temperature sensor, the vehicle will determine the exterior temperature based on its GPS location and weather data. This could lead to more accurate temperatures being displayed, as wind or other environmental factors can sometimes cause inaccuracies. However, owners will lose the ability to view the temperature in their immediate location, such as their garage.

Tesla is also making improvements to its GPS module which is expected to provide a more accurate location. In August 2022, Tesla applied for a patent on a multi-band Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) antenna. Various types of satellites and networks can be used to identify an object's location. GPS is just one of those networks. This new system allows Tesla to use other networks, besides GPS, in order to identify the vehicle's location. This could lead to faster location detection or higher precision.

Interior

Inside the vehicle, there will be some changes as well. However, don't expect a major refresh as we saw with the 2021 Model S, but it will still be noticeable. The wood trim is being removed and replaced with a fabric finish, possibly Alcantara fabric that Tesla already uses in the Model S and X.

The vehicle's dash will also receive a facelift, but we weren't given any details on what's changing with it. Again, this could be a way to simplify the manufacturing process instead of offering something new and improved.

There may be other interior changes, but these are expected to be the two bigger differences. We've been told that this refresh will be 'minor' and focuses on cost-cutting, however, it appears that Tesla is taking the time to upgrade the vehicle to its newest hardware and introduce new cameras, which will certainly be a highlight of the vehicle.

The Model Y project, codenamed Juniper is already underway as well, although it's expected to arrive after the Model 3 revamp. We expect the Model Y to undergo many of the same changes that we've outlined here.

Release Date

Overall, the Model 3 Highland's updates show that Tesla is always looking for ways to improve its vehicles and stay ahead of the competition. As is the nature of these things, some items could be subject to change. With these changes, the Model 3 will continue its success as one of the most popular electric vehicles on the market. Production for the vehicle is expected to start in the third quarter.

https://www.notateslaapp.com/news/12...hat-s-changing
Old 03-21-23, 03:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

those are very very minor changes, mostly to save cost.
Old 03-21-23, 03:59 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
those are very very minor changes, mostly to save cost.
Just like with the S/X , I'm willing to bet there will be improvements to the drivetrain (updated motors etc) that will result in incremental improvements in efficiency)

It's not likely the only updates in Project Highland are to the lights, cameras and bumpers.
Old 03-21-23, 04:20 PM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

No news for radar and lidar?
Old 03-21-23, 04:21 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hameed
Just like with the S/X , I'm willing to bet there will be improvements to the drivetrain (updated motors etc) that will result in incremental improvements in efficiency)

It's not likely the only updates in Project Highland are to the lights, cameras and bumpers.
They talked about on Investor day a new a permanent magnet electric motor with no rare earth elements. I don't know how you get those electric motors any quieter and efficient, but Tesla will find a way

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion