EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-23, 04:24 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Longevite1
No news for radar and lidar?
I read an article that they are currently testing Lidar on the Semi and cybertruck

https://electrek.co/2023/02/17/tesla...-lidar-sensor/
Old 03-21-23, 04:32 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
those are very very minor changes, mostly to save cost.
"if it looks about the same on the outside there must be no other improvements"

Not great logic. But I understand the paradigm you're used to, legacy auto changes the surface stuff and does minor iterations everywhere else. Take for example the engine in your car the basic design goes back to 2006.

Legacy auto being Blackberry and Tesla being the iPhone is becoming more true every day.
Old 03-21-23, 05:22 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Who are you quoting here?

bitkahuna didn’t say that and he was reacting to that article posted, a whole lot of the of the changes mentioned talk about cost savings
Old 03-21-23, 06:00 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Who are you quoting here?
What I think Bit is trying to say. If I'm wrong he can chime but don't think so he's saying mostly changes to save costs. That is not accurate there are substantial improvements right down to the FSD computer, cameras, and other changes we don't know about yet.

Cost savings don't involve an entirely new FSD computer that has new processors, at least initially I'm betting overall this update will cost Tesla more. The R&D alone for the FSD processor is not cheap.
Old 03-21-23, 06:08 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

What I think Bit is trying to say. If I'm wrong he can chime but don't think so he's saying mostly changes to save costs. That is not accurate there are substantial improvements right down to the FSD computer, cameras, and other changes we don't know about yet.

Cost savings don't involve an entirely new FSD computer that has new processors, at least initially I'm betting overall this update will cost Tesla more. The R&D alone for the FSD processor is not cheap.
Please don't try to embellish or interpret what others are trying to say to start an argument or embark on a diatribe. If you have a question about what they mean, ASK THEM to clarify instead of making something up just so you can poke at it.

Another member did that a couple days ago... it's not productive, and is rude.

Old 03-21-23, 06:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

those are very very minor changes, mostly to save cost.

Not great logic.
i'll take mis-quotiing for $100 alex.

Legacy auto being Blackberry and Tesla being the iPhone is becoming more true every day.
yeah the iphone 14 was a complete waste of time and barely any different than the iphone 13.

he's saying mostly changes to save costs.
that's what the article says. i was just summarizing.

That is not accurate there are substantial improvements right down to the FSD computer, cameras, and other changes we don't know about yet.
so it's not accurate because of things no one (outside tesla) knows about yet. got it. as for the fsd computer (assuming you mean hw4, i thought that's already appearing at least in X/S but is it confirmed anywhere that hw4 won't arrive in 3 until highland?

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
They talked about on Investor day a new a permanent magnet electric motor with no rare earth elements. I don't know how you get those electric motors any quieter and efficient, but Tesla will find a way
getting rid of rare earth magnets is cost reduction again and eliminating RARE things, i.e., supply constraints. smart moves. how do we know that change will make anything quieter or more efficient?
Old 03-21-23, 06:20 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

i'll take mis-quotiing for $100 alex.

yeah the iphone 14 was a complete waste of time and barely any different than the iphone 13.

that's what the article says. i was just summarizing.

so it's not accurate because of things no one (outside tesla) knows about yet. got it. as for the fsd computer (assuming you mean hw4, i thought that's already appearing at least in X/S but is it confirmed anywhere that hw4 won't arrive in 3 until highland?

getting rid of rare earth magnets is cost reduction again and eliminating RARE things, i.e., supply constraints. smart moves. how do we know that change will make anything quieter or more efficient?
I don't. Just making an educated guess. If I'm wrong, I'll stay quiet and hope everyone forgets. If I'm right, well than I'll make sure to let everyone know I was right
Old 03-21-23, 06:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

you just bought an iphone 14. new tech and not cheap but price hasn't really changed in ages when taking inflation into account.
iPhone 8 was $699US when new. The current iPhone SE (2022) is $549US. Your Apple analogy is really not good.

I always look for an outside source when talking Tesla, it gives some balance . All these fanboy sites are just promotion.
https://www.designnews.com/automotiv...tive-electrics

However, while a simplified wiring harness is cheaper and easier to install, the 48-volt components are more expensive, which has been a key factor. “It hasn’t proliferated more so far mostly because of cost,” Austin explains. “A 48-volt battery and controller are more expensive than an everyday 12-volt starter and battery.”

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-21-23 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-21-23, 06:37 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
iPhone 8 was $699US when new. The current iPhone SE (2022) is $549US. Your Apple analogy is really not good.
Those are not equivalent (time-adjusted) products. The iPhone 8 was $699 for 64GB or $849 for 256GB. The iPhone 14 is the current equivalent, and is $799 for 128GB or $899 for 256GB. They are very close to being the same price.

The iPhone SE is a separate product line, intended to be an entry-level phone. Your misrepresentation of his analogy is akin to saying "look the new IS is cheaper than the previous GS, therefore Lexus models are getting cheaper".
Old 03-21-23, 06:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
The iPhone SE is a separate product line, intended to be an entry-level phone.
iPhone 8 was the entry level phone. The iPhone SE is entry level phone (same phone..newer guts). The iPhone 14 is what the iPhone X was at the time of iPhone 8. iPhone X was $999 when new and the iPhone 14 is $799 new…iPhone “Pro’ is $999

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-21-23 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-21-23, 06:51 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
iPhone 8 was the entry level phone. The iPhone SE is entry level phone. The iPhone 14 is what the iPhone X was at the time of iPhone 8.
That is not true at all. in 2017, the entry level iPhone was the SE (2016). It remained that way until it was discontinued in 2019, and was brought back as the SE (2020), which was then subsequently replaced by the SE (2022). The 8 was the mainstream device in 2017, just like the 7 it replaced, and the 14 today. The X was the flagship in 2017, just like the 14 Pro (Max) is today.
Old 03-21-23, 06:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
That is not true at all. in 2017, the entry level iPhone was the SE (2016). It remained that way until it was discontinued in 2019, and was brought back as the SE (2020), which was then subsequently replaced by the SE (2022). The 8 was the mainstream device in 2017, just like the 7 it replaced, and the 14 today. The X was the flagship in 2017, just like the 14 Pro (Max) is today.
‘That original SE came out in 2016. It doesn’t really count in the discussion. The 8 and new SE really are the same phone.
Old 03-21-23, 07:00 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Take apple talk to PM please
Old 03-21-23, 08:18 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

I’m still wondering how long it will take Tesla to provide some of the features with HW4. They don’t have a good history of keeping their promises on certain things. Plaid owners are still waiting for the speed limiter to be increased to 200mph and CCB’s that were supposed to be available last summer. Some Model Y owners are still waiting on false promises for over a year. The loss of ultrasonic sensors and its replacement via the new cameras is a compelling one since some of the new cars being delivered are “not completely functional” right now.
Old 03-21-23, 09:36 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I’m still wondering how long it will take Tesla to provide some of the features with HW4. They don’t have a good history of keeping their promises on certain things. Plaid owners are still waiting for the speed limiter to be increased to 200mph and CCB’s that were supposed to be available last summer. Some Model Y owners are still waiting on false promises for over a year. The loss of ultrasonic sensors and its replacement via the new cameras is a compelling one since some of the new cars being delivered are “not completely functional” right now.
Agreed.

As of 2 days ago, they rolled out an update to FSD Beta cars that finally enabled their Tesla Vision version of parking sensors. Hopefully that means it'll roll out to all the ultrasonic sensor-less cars out there soon.

https://driveteslacanada.ca/news/tes...th-2022-45-11/

Last edited by signdetres; 03-21-23 at 09:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion