EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-23, 10:08 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Actually the 2023 Model Y long range has pretty nice suspension and a comfortable ride. It's the Model Y Performance that has the harsher ride, part of that is the 20" tires. It's the same with the M3P, which also has the harsher ride
I disagree with this. We don’t have the comfort suspension and I’ve never experienced it but the suspension on our Model Y LR is disappointing. Very firm, stiff, and unrefined. Model Y Performance is stiffer but not much, it’s already stiff.

That and the wind + road noise is what pushed us towards looking at other EVs.
Old 03-24-23, 10:12 AM
bowser
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 49 Posts

^ we also have 360° view and BSM, no?
Old 03-24-23, 10:15 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
I disagree with this. We don’t have the comfort suspension and I’ve never experienced it but the suspension on our Model Y LR is disappointing. Very firm, stiff, and unrefined. Model Y Performance is stiffer but not much, it’s already stiff.

That and the wind + road noise is what pushed us towards looking at other EVs.
Do you have the 20" tires (I may have asked you this before)? My friends Model 3P, which has 20" tires rides stiffer with road noise while my brother in laws Model 3 RWD is quiet and rides very smooth. I've also driven in another friends Model Y LR with 19" and it's quiet with the ride quality being similar to my IS350
Old 03-24-23, 10:21 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Do you have the 20" tires (I may have asked you this before)? My friends Model 3P, which has 20" tires rides stiffer with road noise while my brother in laws Model 3 RWD is quiet and rides very smooth. I've also driven in another friends Model Y LR with 19" and it's quiet with the ride quality being similar to my IS350
We do have the 20s and they do contribute to the issue. I’ve ridden in the LR on 19s and it’s noticeably better. A lot less harsh and way less boominess. Not to mention way better range. The 20s eat into it a lot.
Old 03-24-23, 10:27 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by signdetres
We do have the 20s and they do contribute to the issue. I’ve ridden in the LR on 19s and it’s noticeably better. A lot less harsh and way less boominess. Not to mention way better range. The 20s eat into it a lot.
OK that explains it. Another friend has a same year Polestar 2 Dual Motor like mine, except he has the performance package which includes 20" tires. His Polestar is loud and you feel way more of the road. If you switch over to 19", you will see a huge difference. If I were to ever buy the Model 3P, I would immediately switch out to 19" tires
Old 03-24-23, 12:08 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

My wife's 3LR rides much smoother than my 3P. Almost feels like a different car.
Old 03-24-23, 12:14 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
My wife's 3LR rides much smoother than my 3P. Almost feels like a different car.
I'm not sure if the M3P uses stiffer suspension, but it's more the 20" tires. Another friend who had a Honda Civic Type R switched out to 18" from the 20" and the ride quality was night and day
Old 03-26-23, 02:32 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Tesla landed on a large plot of land in Santa Catarina, Mexico, in the State of Nuevo Leon, for its first Gigafactory in the country. However, the property was almost a Six Flags amusement park well before Tesla had even thought about Mexico, before it had built a Model 3, and before it was even financially stable.

In 2015, Six Flags Senior VP of International Operations John Odum met with government officials to discuss a potential theme park in Mexico.

While Six Flags has a location several hours away in Mexico City, it mulled the potential of a separate location in Nuevo Leon, and the land where Tesla will build its next factory was the most ideal location.

Six Flags wanted to build the park and needed what every large-scale project would need: water, public services, electricity, and gas.

The company was ready to spend $400 million to develop the park and create jobs. Construction was expected to take three years, according to a report from infobae.

Negotiations had cooled down for two years until 2017 when the then mayor of Santa Catarina, Héctor Castillo Olivares, said Six Flags was still interested in the land, but the company was dealing with licensing issues, and they may have felt a new park would have been better positioned elsewhere.

The land sat vacant with no plans for development for over five years until an October 2022 helicopter flyover with Tesla CEO Elon Musk helped bring potential to the land.

Eventually, Tesla committed fully and plans to build on the property.

Interestingly, plans for Tesla could have fallen through for different reasons. Musk reportedly communicated with local authorities that Tesla would require certain amounts of water, electricity, and other things to maintain stable operations.

Meanwhile, Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said if there was a water supply shortage in the area, he would not allow Tesla to gain permits for construction. “If there’s water, no. Simply put, we don’t give out permits for that,” he said. “It’s not feasible.”

However, things eventually got sorted out, and Tesla plans to build its largest factory yet on the land where a Six Flags amusement park once almost landed.

Construction is set to begin later this year, and the first vehicles could roll off the production lines as soon as early 2024.

https://www.teslarati.com/how-six-fl...a-mexico-land/
Old 03-26-23, 02:52 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Early 2024 cars start rolling off the line? Holy carp.
Old 03-26-23, 03:06 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Tesla is moving fast. Let's hope they start finally keeping their promises, like this one:

The New Tesla Roadster: Price, Performance and Specs

The automotive world has seen ground-breaking innovations in recent years, mostly from one company — Tesla. As a successor to Tesla's first-ever model released in 2008, the second-generation Roadster has been one of the most anticipated electric vehicles in the market.

Originally announced as a 2021 model, the Roadster has been delayed, and it doesn’t appear to be on the company's radar any time soon. However, Tesla's CEO, Elon Musk, has promised this upcoming supercar will not only break records but also redefine the concept of speed and performance for electric vehicles. Let’s explore everything we know about the new Tesla Roadster, from impressive specifications to state-of-the-art features.

Overview and Design

The new Tesla Roadster is a four-seater, all-electric supercar designed to be the fastest production car in the world. The Roadster's design is a beautiful blend of elegance and performance, with a sleek and aerodynamic exterior that resembles a futuristic sports car. The convertible hardtop features a removable glass-panel roof, which can be stowed in the trunk, enabling a seamless transition from a closed cabin to an open-air driving experience.

The Roadster boasts an aggressive stance with its wide body, low ground clearance, and massive wheels. Its sharp lines and sculpted curves not only enhance the car's aesthetics but also contribute to its exceptional aerodynamics. The vehicle's design is built around the concept of minimal air resistance, which translates into improved efficiency and performance.

0 to 60 MPH and Top Speed

When Tesla first announced the Roadster, the company highlighted it will be able to accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in just 1.9 seconds. The car's quarter-mile time is estimated to be around 8.8 seconds, and it will have a top speed of over 250 mph. That was incredible when announced, but the Model S Plaid is already hitting these marks. That means whatever Tesla is coming up with will have to do better than what the 4-door sedan is already doing. Keep reading for the Space X package.

Range and Battery Size

The Roadster's power comes from a three-motor setup consisting of one motor in the front and two in the rear. This configuration provides exceptional traction and handling, along with unparalleled acceleration. The electric motors draw their energy from a massive 200 kWh battery pack, allowing the Roadster to achieve a range of up to 620 miles on a single charge. This extended range sets a new benchmark for EVs, making the Roadster a high-performance vehicle and a practical one for long-distance travel.

The SpaceX Package

The optional SpaceX Package is one of the most intriguing aspects of the new Tesla Roadster. This unique upgrade, inspired by SpaceX's rocket technology, utilizes cold air thrusters to improve the Roadster's performance and handling. The system features an array of compressed air thrusters strategically placed around the vehicle, providing an additional boost during acceleration and improved cornering capabilities.

The acceleration capabilities of the Roadster were discovered by visitors at the Petersen Auto Museum, where the next-generation Tesla Roadster was on display. The vehicle's information panel revealed that, with the addition of cold gas thrusters, the all-electric supercar could achieve a 0-60 mph time of 1.1 seconds.
about the vehicle, confirming that the impressive figure was indeed achievable with the SpaceX Package.

Musk assured that the Roadster would remain a safe vehicle despite featuring rocket components. However, he compared its intense acceleration to a "hardcore roller coaster." He advised against using its full acceleration capabilities for those with medical conditions, as the G forces would be similar to a rocket launch. With the SpaceX Package, the Roadster is placed in league with part-rocket vehicles such as NHRA Top Fuel Dragsters.

Although these features' practicality and real-world applications are yet to be fully understood, the SpaceX Package adds an element of excitement and innovation to the Roadster that is unmatched by any other production car.

Interior

The interior of the new Tesla Roadster is a perfect blend of luxury and technology. Its minimalist design with high-quality materials provides a comfortable and refined experience for the driver and passengers. The cabin is designed to be spacious, with ample legroom and headroom even for the rear passengers, although the rear seats may not be suitable for adults due to the car's angled roofline. The glass roof further enhances the sense of space, offering unobstructed views of the sky above.

The Roadster's interior will be centered by Tesla’s advanced touchscreen infotainment system. It was recently revealed that Cybertruck will have the largest screen yet at 18.5 inches diagonally. It’s likely the Roadster will have something equally as awesome.

Of course, the Roadster will have all the safety and driver-assistance features that are available in its current lineup. A line-up that quite regularly wins safety accolades. Cutting-edge technology demonstrates Tesla's dedication to enhancing driving safety and the overall driving experience.

Price

The new Tesla Roadster is expected to be available in three different trims: the base model, the Founder's Series, and the SpaceX Package. The base model is expected to start at around $200,000, while the limited-edition Founder's Series will be priced at approximately $250,000. The Founder's Series will be limited to just 1,000 units, and the extra $50,000 may only be worth it for collectors, as there's no information about what differentiates the two.

The cost of the SpaceX Package, which adds cold air thrusters for improved performance, remains to be confirmed but is expected to be a significant premium over the base price.

The Roadster Unveil

Tesla officially revealed the second-generation Roadster on December 14th, 2017. You can watch Tesla's official unveiling of the Roadster below.

Release Date

As for availability, Tesla's Chief Designer Franz von Holzhausen recently deflated high hopes of the Roadster coming out any time soon. "We're developing the car. I think you know we have priorities as a company where the priorities are mass electrification and Roadster is not a mass product," he said.

Since the second-generation Roadster idea was made public, Tesla has changed dramatically. Its priorities are on the mass production of affordable electric vehicles. The Roadster just doesn't fit the bill at the moment.

The new Tesla Roadster will redefine the concept of speed and performance in the electric vehicle market. With its ground-breaking specifications, stunning design, and innovative features, this supercar is poised to become a benchmark for future sports cars. Tesla's commitment to pushing the boundaries of what's possible with electric vehicles is evident in the Roadster. As the world moves towards sustainable transportation, the Roadster represents a significant step in the evolution of the automobile.

https://www.notateslaapp.com/tesla-r...ance-and-specs
Old 03-26-23, 03:09 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Roadster 2 will probably never happen Investor day didn't show it.
Tesla business discussion-uzquole.jpg
Old 03-26-23, 03:20 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Roadster 2 will probably never happen Investor day didn't show it.
If it never comes out, no skin off my back. I couldn't afford it anyway
Old 03-26-23, 03:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

If it never comes out, no skin off my back. I couldn't afford it anyway
yes you could, you just don't want to spend that much.

this is tesla time, so figure fall 2024.
Old 03-26-23, 03:45 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
this is tesla time, so figure fall 2024.
Maybe. But Tesla went from dirt to production in Shanghai in 12 months. Mexico should be similar given the lack of red tape as apposed to Gigafactory Berlin-Brandenburg. Even if fall 2024 that's still incredible.
Old 03-26-23, 03:46 PM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

My Polestar actually has this feature. It won't blow the air until it's warmed to the correct temp. Polestar 1, Tesla 0

Tesla has shipped a new feature in its most recent software update that eliminates the worst part of cabin heat: the cold air that comes out before the vehicle has sufficiently warmed up.

Tesla vehicles consistently improve through software updates, and they can feature things such as updates to vehicle performance, bug fixes, or in this case, convenience options.

These updates roll out regularly, giving Tesla owners a unique advantage over some other automotive manufacturers by offering improvements that can be downloaded like a phone update.

In Tesla’s 2023.6.9 software update, there are several improvements to past features like Apple Music, and undocumented changes like the appearance of a tire pressure card.

Tesla is also releasing a feature called “Climate System Warming Up,” which will make sure the air is heated to the desired temperature before the fan activates and releases it from the vents (via Not A Tesla App):

“Your vehicle will now display ‘Warming Up’ above the cabin temperature when the vehicle is waiting for the air in the HVAC system to warm up before turning on the fan.”

This is a convenience feature that will save drivers the discomfort of having cold air blow out of the vents when the cabin is already cold. Instead of guessing when the vehicle is finally warm enough to blow out warmer air, your Tesla will now allow you to select the temperature, and the air will not blow out of the HVAC system until it has reached this temperature.

Tesla has made various improvements to in-car features over the years to improve the comfort of the driver while the vehicle is in operation. Along with this feature, drivers with newer vehicles also have access to heated steering wheels and cabin preconditioning, which allows owners to heat up the vehicle at a specific temperature with the mobile app.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-ship...rt-cabin-heat/
I wonder if this is specific to the heat pump or battery cooling changes. We have the old resistive heat and it puts out hot air immediately as far as I have ever been able to tell.

My 10 year old Benz also has this feature, pretty useful for ICE.

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion