EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-23, 08:51 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,755 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Nope I agree. I disagree that the sensors are needed people raged about Tesla going vision only for FSD and now look where we are. The timing is the problem.
^^I corrected the above post^^
Old 04-04-23, 11:48 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Tesla Plans Smaller Version Of Model Y On New Platform: Report

The Model Y is Tesla's best-selling EV, so it makes perfect sense to use the next-gen platform for a smaller, cheaper version

We won't know for sure what Tesla's final plans are until the company makes it all official. However, according to a report that cites several industry insiders who claim to have details on the matter, the next-gen Tesla model will be a small crossover.

It should come as no surprise to those who follow the space that Tesla may be planning a smaller and less expensive crossover to be the first vehicle to ride on its next-gen platform. When the Tesla Model 3 was the best-selling EV in the world, Tesla introduced the Model Y crossover, which is essentially just a larger and more practical crossover version of the Model 3 sedan. Now, the Model Y is Tesla's top seller, so why not offer a more attainable version of the crossover?

Tesla has already shared that it's working on a smaller, next-gen platform on which EVs will arrive that are much cheaper to produce than the Model 3 and Model Y. Clearly, they'll also be much cheaper to buy. The next-gen EVs will first come out of Tesla's upcoming Gigafactory in Mexico, which the automaker aims to build in record time.

While Tesla and CEO Elon Musk have mentioned a $25,000 EV and spoken in general about a new platform, cheaper products, etc., there has been little in the way of concrete information. Moreover, it seems every time the media believes it's aware of details, they change.

With that said, Teslarati just shed light on a recent report out of China that provides some details about the upcoming model and platform. The report, which was published by 36 Krypton, claims Tesla aims to produce 4 million units of the upcoming small crossover per year. The publication writes (translated from Chinese to English by Google Translate):
“The low-priced model is a smaller version of the Model Y. Tesla is working on building an annual production capacity of up to 4 million units for it."
As you are likely aware, the lines between car classifications have become quite blurred these days. Some people may not consider the Tesla Model Y an SUV, and there are folks that would argue against it even being called a crossover. Meanwhile, there are now various forms of hatchbacks and wagons for sale that are being marketed as crossovers and SUVs by some.

Tesla has had much success with the Model Y. It's the only model the US EV maker produces at all of its global factories, and even though SUVs are most popular in the US, it's selling well in most areas across the globe. The only major concern with the Tesla crossover is its high price tag, which Tesla recently lowered considerably. However, the Model Y still isn't affordable for the masses.

The publication's sources also shared that while Giga Mexico will produce about 2 million copies of the next-gen crossover per year, the remaining 2 million units will be split evenly between Giga Berlin and Giga Shanghai.

Finally, the report noted that it will be at least a year before plans for the smaller, next-gen Tesla crossover to come to fruition. This is because even if the automaker builds and opens Giga Mexico in record time, launching a new vehicle from the new factory a year from now would be highly optimistic.

Source: Teslarati
https://insideevs.com/news/660703/te...-gen-platform/
Old 04-04-23, 12:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,506 Likes on 1,647 Posts

I 100% agree that Tesla should have started removing USS AFTER the vision only version was mature. Inexcusable.
I disagree that the sensors are needed people raged about Tesla going vision only for FSD and now look where we are. The timing is the problem.
i don't see how it will ever work in dark parking garages or bad weather. i think tesla made a giant error.

maybe it will get good enough at some point,. but as far as right now, i would NEVER buy a car that didn't have real parking sensors or radar.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 04-04-23 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-04-23, 12:53 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,056 Likes on 2,568 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it will never be mature. it will never work in dark parking garages. it will never work in bad weather. tesla made a giant error.
Given your record of Tesla predictions I'm even more bullish.

Being serious, Tesla is doing great with vision only for things like collision avoidance they will work out their vision only park assist.

Last edited by LeX2K; 04-04-23 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-04-23, 01:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

i don't see how it will ever work in dark parking garages or bad weather. i think tesla made a giant error.
Tesla should just make something that works. I’m really not sure which version is the right direction.
Old 04-04-23, 02:38 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Tesla’s new V4 Supercharger has started its initial rollout in Europe, and details are still continuing to spill out ahead of the first installations in the United States.

The V4 Supercharger is Tesla’s latest iteration of its industry-leading EV charging network, and with the recent introduction of non-Tesla vehicle charging in the U.S. to qualify for government incentives, the automaker is going forward with some monumental changes.

After the first piles were installed in the Netherlands in March, there were several distinct changes. We reported that the charging cables were now extended so that non-Tesla vehicles could charge with ease. This was a commonly reported problem in the U.S. as non-Tesla vehicles started to use the Superchargers.

Along with the longer cables, Tesla’s main focus was to increase charging speed so that people spent less time charging and more time on the roads. It was confirmed that the V4 Superchargers were capable of more power, but the vehicles’ architecture only allows for certain speeds. However, we are learning more information about what Tesla plans to do with these piles moving forward.

Thanks to Supercharger tracker MarcoRP, new details regarding the V4 Supercharger are available.

Tesla will make the CCS adapter built into the frame of the V4 Supercharger, which will allow non-Tesla vehicles to charge without an adapter. With the introduction of the Magic Dock, Tesla has made it possible for non-Tesla EVs to utilize the Supercharger network. With the V4 Supercharger, this will be standard.

Additionally, charging speeds are expected to be up to 350 kW in roughly one year. This would be a drastic increase from the 250 kW max speeds that the V3 Supercharger currently offers. However, some are still interested in seeing even more capability as the Cybertruck, which will be the first Tesla vehicle capable of increased charging speeds thanks to a new 1,000-volt architecture.
This architecture will enable even faster charging speeds, making vehicles spend less time at a Supercharger than ever before.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-v4-s...50kw-charging/
Old 04-05-23, 02:25 AM
Lead Lap

Received 793 Likes on 538 Posts

Guys, stop with cut/pasting entire articles here. First it’s messy and it’s infringing on copyright. Just do a brief summary and a link.
Old 04-05-23, 05:59 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 415 Likes on 279 Posts

maybe it will get good enough at some point,. but as far as right now, i would NEVER buy a car that didn't have real parking sensors or radar.
Musk also leads a company that is reusing rockets and also successfully landing them on drone ships in the middle of the ocean. I have confidence in the design and the decision here.
Old 04-05-23, 07:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,506 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Given your record of Tesla predictions I'm even more bullish.
as usual, you're mixing me up with all your other conspiracy theories.

Being serious, Tesla is doing great with vision only for things like collision avoidance they will work out their vision only park assist.
then why are they adding radar back? i know that's not for parking though.

about parking, normal sensors work in heavy pouring rain, i wonder how this vision works then?
Old 04-05-23, 07:27 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 703
Guys, stop with cut/pasting entire articles here. First it’s messy and it’s infringing on copyright. Just do a brief summary and a link.
If it's messy, I don't mind just doing links, but I doubt it infringes on copyrights as nobody here is claiming to have written the article, and links are posted citing the source.

Anyway, links are easier, so thank you for pointing that out
Old 04-05-23, 08:28 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Musk also leads a company that is reusing rockets and also successfully landing them on drone ships in the middle of the ocean. I have confidence in the design and the decision here.
When I saw for the first time SpaceX perfectly land three rocket boosters, I was blown away. I still think they should not have removed parking sensors until the perfected vision, but like you, I have total confidence in their designs, which is why the Model Y is the best selling car in California
Old 04-05-23, 08:41 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

The only company Tesla really has to worry about

BYD Sold More EVs Than Tesla In 2022, Income Skyrockets Over 400%

The Chinese automaker sold more cars in 2022 than in the previous four years combined

https://insideevs.com/news/660906/by...s-400-percent/
Old 04-05-23, 09:31 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,056 Likes on 2,568 Posts

as usual, you're mixing me up with all your other conspiracy theories.
Nice accusation, but I have receipts want to see them?
then why are they adding radar back? i know that's not for parking though.
They are not adding back in the same RADAR unit they removed.
Originally Posted by 703
100% agreed. Common courtesy to give the site clicks and views that created the articles.

Old 04-05-23, 09:35 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Nice accusation, but I have receipts want to see them?

They are not adding back in the same RADAR unit they removed.

100% agreed. Common courtesy to give the site clicks and views that created the articles.
You know, we've all said things in the past, my suggestion is let's just let it lay in the past. In other words...can't we all just get along? As far as articles and other content, I've taken his suggestion and now will just do links to the article. Much easier
Old 04-05-23, 10:03 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-cybe...-in-new-video/

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion