EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla business discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-19, 12:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Tesla business discussion

Tesla owner parks on stranger's lawn, steals electricity for 12 hours

Source
Old 07-26-19, 12:52 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

I would've unplugged it and kept the adapter...
Old 07-26-19, 06:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

In principle, I see little difference between doing that and siphoning someone's gas....except that a house can't run out of electricity and leave an empty tank behind.

But this is a perfect example, IMO, of why we, nationwide, need to get moving on an adequate network of electric-charging stations for vehicles. Outside of California (which has a decent network), the way things are right now, there is just too much chance that BEV owners who overstretch their battery-charges will end up doing exactly what you see in the picture.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-26-19 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-26-19, 07:45 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In principle, I see little difference between doing that and siphoning someone's gas....except that a house can't run out electricity and leave an empty tank behind.

But this is a perfect example, IMO, of why we, nationwide, need to get moving on an adequate network of electric-charging stations for vehicles. Outside of California, the way things are right now, there is just too much chance that BEV owners who overstretch their battery-charges will end up doing exactly what you see in the picture.
He's just a dumba$$. The Tesla goes nuts when you get within the last 10% of your battery and directs your navigation to the nearest Supercharger. You can even look up the next destination charger because you're connected to Google Maps through the car's internet (which is always available). You can lead a horse to water...
Old 07-26-19, 08:30 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

In principle, I see little difference between doing that and siphoning someone's gas....except that a house can't run out of electricity and leave an empty tank behind.

But this is a perfect example, IMO, of why we, nationwide, need to get moving on an adequate network of electric-charging stations for vehicles. Outside of California (which has a decent network), the way things are right now, there is just too much chance that BEV owners who overstretch their battery-charges will end up doing exactly what you see in the picture.
Come on, I’m sure this is an isolated incident and is so rare. Guy is probably just a dumbass. Honestly, if a Tesla owner was stuck I would have no problem letting them charge up at my house if they just asked.
Old 07-26-19, 08:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
Come on, I’m sure this is an isolated incident and is so rare. Guy is probably just a dumbass.
Today, yes, it's rare....or at least uncommon. If we over-populate the roads, however, with electric vehicles, and don't have an adequate charging system for them, then the future could (?) be a different story.

Honestly, if a Tesla owner was stuck I would have no problem letting them charge up at my house if they just asked.
I wouldn't ether, if I owned a single-family house like that....like you, I believe in being generous to others. But, unfortunately, the whole world is not like the Good Samaritan.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-26-19 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-26-19, 10:34 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Today, yes, it's rare....or at least uncommon. If we over-populate the roads, however, with electric vehicles, and don't have an adequate charging system for them, then the future could (?) be a different story.
I don't get whey you're so concerned about this currently BEVs are what 2% or less of total sales? It will take decades before the BEV out sells the petrol burner I think by then we can work out installing more chargers and the like. Also aren't you of the opinion the BEV will never become mainstream anyway?
Old 07-27-19, 05:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
I don't get whey you're so concerned about this currently BEVs are what 2% or less of total sales? It will take decades before the BEV out sells the petrol burner I think by then we can work out installing more chargers and the like. Also aren't you of the opinion the BEV will never become mainstream anyway?
In my area, Tesla 3s are multiplying like rabbits. I agree they are not going to take over the roads overnight, but that does not mean that we should not plan for the future. Like it or not (and I am not that big a big fan of electrification myself) eventually it will be the wave of the future.....although, due to Musk's classic mismanagement, Tesla may or may not be a part of that oncoming wave. What you think or want, or what I think or want, at this point, has little relevance.....on a nationwide scale, the electrics are coming, and we had better be ready for it with an adequate charging system. I do agree with you on one point, though.....at my age, the electrification process will still take long enough that I may not live to see it become a majority. I don't know your age (and perhaps it is none of my business), so I won't comment on whether you will or not.

And, again, like it or not, there are some definite advantages to electrics, once the potential charging problems can be met. No emissions from the vehicle itself, much simpler and quieter engines and powertrains, maximum torque at low engine speeds, no oil/filter changes or leaks/ no cooling system/water-pump/radiator/thermostat to malfunction, leak, or service, simple basic transmissions without the insane number of gears we have today, no oil-disposal problems, much less brake-pad/rotor wear from the generative braking, and no complex ignition systems. But, as of today, some electric vehicles, IMO, just cost too much for what you get. 35-40K for a cramped, subcompact Chevrolet Bolt, for example, is simply absurd. And, some people are going to have to accept that the "Turn Around, Don't Drown" signs on flooded roads mean what they say. Drive a conventional gas vehicle into one of them, and the fire department or rescue-service may (?) have to come and fish you out of the water. Drive an all-electric, or gas/electric hybrid with large battery-packs, into one of those flooded areas, and all that electric hardware on board could instantly turn you and your passengers into toast before you can even call for help.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-27-19 at 05:48 AM.
Old 07-27-19, 06:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

In my area, Tesla 3s are multiplying like rabbits. I agree they are not going to take over the roads overnight, but that does not mean that we should not plan for the future. Like it or not (and I am not that big a big fan of electrification myself) eventually it will be the wave of the future.....although, due to Musk's classic mismanagement, Tesla may or may not be a part of that oncoming wave. What you think or want, or what I think or want, at this point, has little relevance.....on a nationwide scale, the electrics are coming, and we had better be ready for it with an adequate charging system. I do agree with you on one point, though.....at my age, the electrification process will still take long enough that I may not live to see it become a majority. I don't know your age (and perhaps it is none of my business), so I won't comment on whether you will or not.

:
I don't think electric cars will take over like some people think. At least not in my lifetime. Tesla is making no money right now, so they kind of are irrelevant as a car company needs to make money to show electrics can really work....I also think when the governments impose taxes on those driving electric cars, or surcharges when you plug into the grid you will see a different face of electric car ownership.......and the gas companies have a lot to lose, so lower gas prices will result when there is not enough demand, which will help with ICE.
Old 07-27-19, 07:28 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't think electric cars will take over like some people think. At least not in my lifetime. Tesla is making no money right now, so they kind of are irrelevant as a car company needs to make money to show electrics can really work....I also think when the governments impose taxes on those driving electric cars, or surcharges when you plug into the grid you will see a different face of electric car ownership.......and the gas companies have a lot to lose, so lower gas prices will result when there is not enough demand, which will help with ICE.
Tesla is cash flow positive from an operational perspective meaning they make money for each car sold. Their P&L losses are related to their heavy investment in factories and the associated depreciation along with their debt servicing.

Tesla's financials will take another year or two to steadily become P&L positive but they are in no danger of going out of business as long as demand doesn't dry up. Even with only moderate growth, they will be around for awhile.
Old 07-27-19, 09:08 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

In my area, Tesla 3s are multiplying like rabbits. I agree they are not going to take over the roads overnight, but that does not mean that we should not plan for the future. Like it or not (and I am not that big a big fan of electrification myself) eventually it will be the wave of the future.....although, due to Musk's classic mismanagement, Tesla may or may not be a part of that oncoming wave.
This seems to be a contradiction, no? BTW a BEV does have a cooling system.
Old 07-27-19, 10:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
This seems to be a contradiction, no?
While I respect your opinion, I don't see a contradiction. Musk has (lately) become a clown, but he does preside over a company whose products (particularly the Tesla 3) have become more popular lately. But he still persists in what IMO are questionable business moves, like not allowing private dealer-franchises. Bob Lutz (correctly) points out that the Tesla retail/dealer-system has never worked, on a large scale, in the history of the auto industry, and is not doing so now, despite the popularity of Tesla vehicles.

BTW a BEV does have a cooling system.
Every BEV has a cooling system as it moves through the air. Some may or may not have systems in addition to that.
Old 07-27-19, 10:39 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

While I respect your opinion, I don't see a contradiction. Musk has (lately) become a clown, but he does preside over a company whose products (particularly the Tesla 3) have become more popular lately. But he still persists in what IMO are questionable business moves, like not allowing private dealer-franchises. Bob Lutz (correctly) points out that the Tesla retail/dealer-system has never worked, on a large scale, in the history of the auto industry, and is not doing so now, despite the popularity of Tesla vehicles.

Every BEV has a cooling system as it moves through the air. Some may or may not have systems in addition to that.
While the retail/dealer system has never worked in the past, like everything else things do change or there would never be progress anywhere. I don’t think they will go out of business but it will take some years to get out of the red due to the initial up front costs/investments they’ve incurred.
Old 07-27-19, 10:44 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

While I respect your opinion, I don't see a contradiction. Musk has (lately) become a clown, but he does preside over a company whose products (particularly the Tesla 3) have become more popular lately. But he still persists in what IMO are questionable business moves, like not allowing private dealer-franchises. Bob Lutz (correctly) points out that the Tesla retail/dealer-system has never worked, on a large scale, in the history of the auto industry, and is not doing so now, despite the popularity of Tesla vehicles.Every BEV has a cooling system as it moves through the air. Some may or may not have systems in addition to that.
So you want Tesla to share the profits with middlemen like dealers? Sorry but that business model is antiquated. A direct dealership business will work better because EVs simply don't need as much maintenance and will be far more reliable especially in the future. Tesla has a huge advantage going forward not stuck with the low margin nature of the current auto biz. I hope the dealership model dies with the ICE.
Old 07-27-19, 11:02 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Well this tesla thread spiraled quickly lol
----------------------------
In regards to the tesla owner, As they say, this is why we cant have nice things.

Quick Reply: Tesla business discussion