EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Ford Mustang Mach-E

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-21 | 06:26 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
BEVs never come cheap...I've never seen one in the American market under about 35K or so, even entry-level models.
VW E-golf was under $35K before rebates. Nissan Leaf starts under $35K. the 2022 Bolt and Bolt EUV will both be under $35K. Hyundai Ioniq Electric, also under $35k. Prior gen Soul Electric was also just under $35K.
Old 04-22-21 | 06:34 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Checked out one in a parking lot had the exact same reaction, underwhelming. Still a great first effort by Ford to build on.
Old 04-22-21 | 06:37 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Kind of a strange comparison. Its like saying...why get the F150...its so slow and can't handle well. Completely different cars and applications
Old 04-22-21 | 06:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Kind of a strange comparison. Its like saying...why get the F150...its so slow and can't handle well. Completely different cars and applications
I guess for $12000 less, you get some much more for the money. I think the F150 even weighs less too. I would have to look how the Ford Edge compare to the Mach E.
Old 04-22-21 | 06:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Checked out one in a parking lot had the exact same reaction, underwhelming. Still a great first effort by Ford to build on.
‘yeah....that might be the word I was looking for. I saw a Tesla Y drive by later in the day, seemed to be a better size. (Not sure the price but it as double motor)
Old 04-22-21 | 07:12 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I guess for $12000 less, you get some much more for the money. I think the F150 even weighs less too. I would have to look how the Ford Edge compare to the Mach E.
I think its expensive because they are taking into account the $7500 tax credit. I also don't know what version of the F150 you are talking about because there are a million configurations for the truck. If you compare a Supercab with AWD, then its no longer $12k and are much more comparable. If I was considering a truck i wouldn't consider a Mach E and if I wanted an SUV, I wouldn't consider an F150.

Objectively, it would probably be more in-line with a Ford Edge ST and if you configure those to the max like the Mach E AWD Extended, they are within $5k of each other and the Mach E is much higher performance than the Ford Edge ST. What else would you compare it to for around $50k? The Highlander...too big and slow. The Lexus RX...too boring. The X3...more expensive and slower. The CX-5...too slow. The EVs in that price range really only compete with each other now as the ICE equivalents don't match up well in terms of operating cost or performance.
Old 04-22-21 | 07:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
. The Lexus RX...too boring. The X3...more expensive and slower. The CX-5...too slow. The EVs in that price range really only compete with each other now as the ICE equivalents don't match up well in terms of operating cost or performance.
Well in person, the size perception of the Mach E is like a Lexus NX....but maybe it sizes better to a RX. (I could be wrong) But i think the one I saw tips the scales at 5300lbs. It’s classified as a small wagon. The F150 just got me thinking because it was a right next to it...and i6s the best selling vehicle in North America. (Obviously they appeal to different segments). The faster or slower speed of others is irrelevant to me in my dislike of it.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-22-21 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-22-21 | 07:44 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Well in person, the size perception of the Mach E is like a Lexus NX....but maybe it sizes better to a RX. (I could be wrong) But i think the one I saw tips the scales at 5300lbs. It’s classified as a small wagon. The F150 just got me thinking because it was a right next to it...and i6s the best selling vehicle in North America. (Obviously they appeal to different segments). The faster or slower speed of others is irrelevant to me in my dislike of it.
Then you would never consider it. It is a performance oriented SUV and priced like one (hence the Mustang labeling). If the performance isn't important, it's probably priced too high for you consideration as there are much cheaper options or more luxurious options at the same price point.
Old 04-23-21 | 10:53 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
Then you would never consider it. It is a performance oriented SUV and priced like one (hence the Mustang labeling). If the performance isn't important, it's probably priced too high for you consideration as there are much cheaper options or more luxurious options at the same price point.
It's like saying a Corvette is overpriced because a Malibu can transport you around just fine for much less money.
Old 04-23-21 | 12:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
I guess in person, I just don't see it as a performance vehicle..looks like a people mover...a small one, that can be very fast...but also is very heavy....Mustang name is a disservice IMO
Old 04-23-21 | 12:15 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

I guess in person, I just don't see it as a performance vehicle..looks like a people mover...a small one, that can be very fast...but also is very heavy....Mustang name is a disservice IMO
The Taycan is over 5000 lbs and handles extremely well because the battery is situated very low. The Mach E is no different as most of the weight is on the battery which is a skateboard underneath most of the car. The Mach E GT is faster than anything in Toyota or Lexus lineup...sounds like a performance car to me and an impressive first effort by Ford.
Old 04-23-21 | 12:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
The Taycan is over 5000 lbs and handles extremely well because the battery is situated very low. The Mach E is no different as most of the weight is on the battery which is a skateboard underneath most of the car. The Mach E GT is faster than anything in Toyota or Lexus lineup...sounds like a performance car to me and an impressive first effort by Ford.
No doubt the speed credentials are there. Just seems like a let down on looks, size and price. Interior materials were nice...but design was a underwhelming IMO. I assume sales are doing well?
Old 04-23-21 | 12:54 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

No doubt the speed credentials are there. Just seems like a let down on looks, size and price. Interior materials were nice...but design was a underwhelming IMO. I assume sales are doing well?
They are selling every one they make. When Toyota makes an EV, you can bet it will sell out in its initial run very quickly.
Old 04-23-21 | 12:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
They are selling every one they make. M
I didn’t know that. They only had one at the location I was at. It was unsold but out front on full display
Old 04-23-21 | 02:23 PM
jer
Instructor

Went and checked one out. Seems to split the size difference in size between NX & RX. We didn't drive but also compared the interior quality & looks of the Mach E to a Model Y (which has an outlet right down the street) and in my opinion the Mach E wins interior design and build quality hands down. Both were new and didn't see any visible issues with the Mach E, however the Y had mismatched chrome trim, and the passenger door panel & speaker cover were off kilter. Also back seat stitching was not lined up. How either will hold up in the long run is anyone's guess.

Quick Reply: Ford Mustang Mach-E