EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Ford Mustang Mach-E

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-21, 08:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
Went and checked one out. Seems to split the size difference in size between NX & RX. We didn't drive but also compared the interior quality & looks of the Mach E to a Model Y (which has an outlet right down the street) and in my opinion the Mach E wins interior design and build quality hands down. Both were new and didn't see any visible issues with the Mach E, however the Y had mismatched chrome trim, and the passenger door panel & speaker cover were off kilter. Also back seat stitching was not lined up. How either will hold up in the long run is anyone's guess.
every tesla i see has ridiculous quality issues. just saw a model S in a parking lot and both front doors were dropped about 1/2" at the opening (assume hinges can't handle the door weight and they sag over time).

the Mach E is the first serious competitor to the Model Y. unlike teslas, the Mach E also meets and beats if EPA scores.
Old 04-24-21, 10:41 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Ford has only one problem with the Mach E they can't make enough of them. Battery supply will continue to be a huge issue for the next 3-4 years IMO even for Tesla. And since Tesla was brought up, the quality issues don't matter to people because the overall package is very desirable. Tesla is miles ahead in software, Ford needs to hire more coders.
Old 04-24-21, 12:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Ford has only one problem with the Mach E they can't make enough of them. Battery supply will continue to be a huge issue for the next 3-4 years IMO even for Tesla. And since Tesla was brought up, the quality issues don't matter to people because the overall package is very desirable. Tesla is miles ahead in software, Ford needs to hire more coders.
agree on all except tesla being miles ahead in software. in what way are they ahead, except maybe efficiently monitoring/managing battery use/range?
auto pilot isn't that impressive really and waymo is probably way ahead of tesla on any "full self-driving" claims.
one thing that is cool is tesla having basically designed their own whole computer inside it seems and from tesla's claims, it's very fast. but vertical integration gets harder and harder (ask apple who is now trying - again - to get away from intel, and qualcomm). and of course apple doesn't manufacture anything themselves.
Old 04-24-21, 12:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
agree on all except tesla being miles ahead in software. in what way are they ahead, except maybe efficiently monitoring/managing battery use/range?
auto pilot isn't that impressive really and waymo is probably way ahead of tesla on any "full self-driving" claims.
one thing that is cool is tesla having basically designed their own whole computer inside it seems and from tesla's claims, it's very fast. but vertical integration gets harder and harder (ask apple who is now trying - again - to get away from intel, and qualcomm). and of course apple doesn't manufacture anything themselves.
Tesla software is all in the head....ask yourself this....what can Tesla software do that your Lexus LC500 software can’t? If you were to drive from Florida to Cali tomorrow,
Old 04-24-21, 12:37 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

The software is far superior in the Tesla. In the Nav, it has full integration of the Superchargers and routes you to the nearest open chargers given the cars state of charge and destination.

Given Tesla has to have everything driven through the screens, they made it extremely responsive with an excellent UI. Go look at the competition and it's laggy and much less responsive. Ford is pretty mediocre comparatively. CarPlay is less responsive than the Tesla software and I use CarPlay quite a bit.

Stuff like Sentry Mode / Dashcam and ability to include apps and maybe App Store in future, sorry but the legacy Oems are far behind.

Really, their OTA capabilities far exceed other manufacturers at this point. They are even able to optimize motor control and can optimize the heat pump to give better range with more data collection are some of the examples of their software prowess. Can't think of another car where significant features were added to every car after purchase.
Old 04-24-21, 01:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Tesla why so many software glitches
Old 04-24-21, 01:15 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Yes. Way to bring up a 2019 thread. The software has changed quite a bit and now very stable. The new features aren't coming quite as rapidly though. Still faaaaar superior than any other Oem.
Old 04-24-21, 01:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Yes. Way to bring up a 2019 thread. The software has changed quite a bit and now very stable. The new features aren't coming quite as rapidly though. Still faaaaar superior than any other Oem.
Here is a glitch from a year ago. Update comes, range decreases

https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/...oftware-update
Old 04-24-21, 01:33 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Here is a glitch from a year ago. Update comes, range decreases

https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/...oftware-update
When updates come, the BMS algorithms has sometimes reset or changes to give more accurate readings. Range of the car is based on how much battery capacity you have and doesn't actually change with new software. Over time, the BMS is able to recalibrate what's actually in the battery and range readings tend to change. The range fluctuates based on temp too. Most Tesla owners know it's not that precise so they leave it on percentage vs miles.
Old 04-24-21, 01:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
When updates come, the BMS algorithms has sometimes reset or changes to give more accurate readings. Range of the car is based on how much battery capacity you have and doesn't actually change with new software. Over time, the BMS is able to recalibrate what's actually in the battery and range readings tend to change. The range fluctuates based on temp too. Most Tesla owners know it's not that precise so they leave it on percentage vs miles.
Yeah...just pointing how some people do not view Tesla or any OTA updates as something desirable. I even read that some updates “bricked” the cars

I wonder if Ford will have these problems

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-24-21 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-24-21, 01:41 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah...just pointing how some people do not view Tesla or any OTA updates as something desirable. I even read that some updates “bricked” the cars

I wonder if Ford will have these problems
The vast majority of Tesla owners love OTA updates. It brings significant features and / or more efficiencies. When I bought the car it had around 450hp. After all of the updates, I'm getting around 520hp. I also received Sentry Model / Dashcam, Media apps, increased range and Autopilot improvements all after I bought the car and it's been getting better every year. It's Teslas best feature.
Old 04-24-21, 01:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
The vast majority of Tesla owners love OTA updates. It brings significant features and / or more efficiencies. When I bought the car it had around 450hp. After all of the updates, I'm getting around 520hp. I also received Sentry Model / Dashcam, Media apps, increased range and Autopilot improvements all after I bought the car and it's been getting better every year. It's Teslas best feature.
‘That is what I have been hearing. Just pointing out that not everyone considers OTA a good thing or something that doesn’t have caveats. . Some people expect quality. If the vehicle doesn’t have the capabilities of an over the air update, there is no risk or issues for the future. HP upgrades are in interesting and an admirable benefit....but bricked systems are the liability

I wonder if Ford software will have issues with the new Mach E...my assumption is YES

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-24-21 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-24-21, 08:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
The software is far superior in the Tesla. In the Nav, it has full integration of the Superchargers and routes you to the nearest open chargers given the cars state of charge and destination.
the taycan at least appears to do exactly the same to its network of chargers.

Given Tesla has to have everything driven through the screens, they made it extremely responsive with an excellent UI. Go look at the competition and it's laggy and much less responsive. Ford is pretty mediocre comparatively. CarPlay is less responsive than the Tesla software and I use CarPlay quite a bit.
ford's just starting out (very impressive start!) but not surprised they have opportunities for improvement.
Vw's id.4 reportedly has slow screen i think i read... built to a price point and so corners cut.
It's true that philosophically tesla wanted an 'awesome' screen since it runs everything and no question it's sophisticated and fast.

Stuff like Sentry Mode / Dashcam
good stuff, yup, but also missing basic stuff like 360 camera view (amazingly).

and ability to include apps and maybe App Store in future, sorry but the legacy Oems are far behind.
Maybe and future are just promises. We'll see. One possible tie in is SpaceX though. If they can land booster back on the ground standing up, deploy tons of satellites and dock spaceships at the space station, they ought to be able to drive a car anywhere. Those other things are very hard problems.

And agree that OTA is really important, but just delivering updates isn't the hard part. What's in the updates is what matters, and yes, tesla has delivered some GREAT updates in function, efficiency, etc.

so i agree overall tesla has an experience and function lead, but i don't think it's much. And remember, the best tech rarely wins.

back to ford mach-e, i don't think ford is going to be a software leader unless they acquire or partner with someone really innovative.
Old 04-24-21, 09:39 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

The overall UI is far better. Faster, super easy to use everything just makes sense and works. Tesla performed a miracle here and stole Apple's mojo in the process. Icing on the cake is OTA updates this was unthinkable and nearly unheard of before Tesla.
I can only shake my head at this. Google is "on the rails" driving and used gigantic hardware that has no chance to make into a production car. Tesla is doing FSD with only vision far more difficult but vastly superior the neural network is learning to drive like a person using 8+ cameras (which are all combined into one vision construct.) Another factor is data, here Google has about 30 million miles Tesla has billions some say 30 billion. And all that data is real world not controlled environments. Search up dark energy vision combine this with only vision FSD and it is game over for lidar and radar. Which would be a total disaster if every car has it, all those active systems are going to clash no matter how much they try to randomize and modulate the output.
Tesla I'm sure didn't want to design their own FSD processor but nothing filled their needs.

For Ford to match Tesla they will need their own ASIC FSD hardware, a team of software engineers coding and training a neural network, much greater battery supply, more efficient motors etc. a tall order. But I give Ford full credit you have to start somewhere there is no waiting for the right time. I'm looking at you Toyota.
Old 04-26-21, 05:29 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

The Mach-E is one vehicle I have to say I loved looking at in person better than online as I saw one in downtown Miami the other day and I at first thought it might be a red Tesla or a Lamborghini Urus, because you see both around there a lot, but it was a Mach-E.

Quick Reply: Ford Mustang Mach-E