EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Maryland gas station converts to EV charging station

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-20, 07:08 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Maryland gas station converts to EV charging station

This is an interesting, and frankly, odd story. The owner received $786,000 in grant money for the project, but I still don't understand how it is a viable business model when he makes maybe $10/hour per charging station. The article reports that only 4-5 EV drivers stop by per day. There are a total of four charging stations and an "automated convenience store with complementary coffee, water, and restrooms".

My Dad looked into purchasing a gas station once and learned they only make a dime, or less, on the sale of a gallon of gas. Most of the revenue is from snacks and drinks, so maybe that is how this EV charging station is still profitable.

https://www.businessinsider.com/gas-...ost-reported-5

Last edited by FatherTo1; 01-26-20 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-26-20, 07:15 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

My only question is...does the EV driver have to pay for each charge? Paying $10 to charge for one hour is quite expensive compares to charge at home.
Old 01-26-20, 07:47 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
My only question is...does the EV driver have to pay for each charge? Paying $10 to charge for one hour is quite expensive compares to charge at home.
Yes, more expensive to charge than home, but much quicker than home charging. It would take me 9-10 hours charging at home to equal what a Supercharger can do in an hour. I still prefer to charge at home, despite free Supercharging.

Apparently, it costs ~$5 to charge to 80% in 20-30 minutes. Let's say that's 50 kW to charge from 10% to 80% (assuming 72 kW battery), then that's only 10 cents per kW, which is cheaper than the 26 cents Tesla charges at Superchargers. Even if it is a ridiculously small battery of 25 kW, we're talking about 30 cents per kW. At a local EVgo station in California, I saw rates advertised at 60 cents per kW!

It costs roughly 10 cents per mile to drive a gas car getting 30 MPG; EVs will travel 3-4 miles per kW.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 01-26-20 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-26-20, 09:42 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Not surprising at all. While I don't expect every gas station to convert, I'm sure there will be some stations also offering EV charging in the future. win win
Old 01-26-20, 10:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

So first of all, that gas station is in Takoma Park. As soon as I saw the title I knew exactly where you were talking about lol. Takoma Park is about the most liberal, progressive, green earth minded place you will find in the mid-atlantic region. They devoted their city tax dollars (they charge a city property tax above and beyond the county tax that is almost as much as the county tax) to becoming a "nuclear free zone", to impeaching George W Bush, not a political statement thats simply a fact. They have a statue of a chicken in their town square.

Its basically the granola progressive wonderland of the DC metro area lol. So, this makes perfect sense as a business in that location. People there will pay to charge their cars there vs charging them at home just to support this business, and they received and continue to receive a ton of money from the city to subsidize their operations. Just because this can flourish there doesnt mean its ready to flourish anywhere else lol
Old 01-26-20, 10:23 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

20-30 min to charge 80%? clearly they dont value their free time. I got better things to do than sit around waiting for my car to charge. How can they even make money at 10c kWh, the average US cost of electricity is 12c. I bet its even more expensive at that location than the average.
Old 01-26-20, 11:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,506 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
So, this makes perfect sense as a business in that location.
yeah, massively subsidized giant fail of a business because it 'feels good'.

they received and continue to receive a ton of money from the city to subsidize their operations.
money 'from the city' just means OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY because the city doesn't create any money.

reminds me of solyndra and other vast wastes of money.
Old 01-26-20, 12:05 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

I just don’t see how this business can survive on its own. The volume just isn’t there and I am not sure the convenience store sales can keep it afloat.
Old 01-26-20, 12:16 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I just don’t see how this business can survive on its own. The volume just isn’t there and I am not sure the convenience store sales can keep it afloat.
I agree. Without any subsidies or other financial help I don't see how it can succeed. Maybe some of the grant money can be used.
Old 01-26-20, 12:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
20-30 min to charge 80%? clearly they dont value their free time. I got better things to do than sit around waiting for my car to charge. How can they even make money at 10c kWh, the average US cost of electricity is 12c. I bet its even more expensive at that location than the average.
They don’t make money lol.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yeah, massively subsidized giant fail of a business because it 'feels good'.

money 'from the city' just means OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY because the city doesn't create any money.

reminds me of solyndra and other vast wastes of money.
Totally crazy, and people in Takoma Park pay about $5-8k more a year in taxes than those outside the city for the privilege of crap like this.

Takoma Park would make you totally crazy LOL We call it “the people’s republic of Takoma Park”
Old 01-26-20, 12:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
I just don’t see how this business can survive on its own.
that's just it, it can't without truckloads of taxpayer money. but hey, it's green right?

Old 01-26-20, 12:46 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

sums up the entire renewable industry, only renewed with forced taxpayer funding and would die otherwise
Old 01-26-20, 02:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

not sure i agree with that... i guess private industry sometimes has the "i'm not going first" problem, so govt steps in to take the initial risk / investment to 'prime the pump' with the hope as volume grows, unit costs decrease.

this may have worked with wind power for example.
Old 01-26-20, 03:01 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

if it was good on its own merits, it wouldn't need subsidies. This assumes govt knows best where to send money, which they are horrible at
Old 01-26-20, 03:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
So first of all, that gas station is in Takoma Park. As soon as I saw the title I knew exactly where you were talking about lol. Takoma Park is about the most liberal, progressive, green earth minded place you will find in the mid-atlantic region. They devoted their city tax dollars (they charge a city property tax above and beyond the county tax that is almost as much as the county tax) to becoming a "nuclear free zone", to impeaching George W Bush, not a political statement thats simply a fact. They have a statue of a chicken in their town square.

Its basically the granola progressive wonderland of the DC metro area lol. So, this makes perfect sense as a business in that location. People there will pay to charge their cars there vs charging them at home just to support this business, and they received and continue to receive a ton of money from the city to subsidize their operations. Just because this can flourish there doesnt mean its ready to flourish anywhere else lol

There are a number of places in this region that could take that award, such as Arlington, Chevy Chase, Bethesda, Silver Spring, and others, but your point is well-taken about Takoma Park......it is certainly a contender.

As to the conversion of the station itself, I'm all for it, at least if the auto industry is going to force BEVs and extended-range hybrids down our throats whether we want them or not. Like it or not, we're going to need places to recharge these vehicles for a reasonable sum.

Quick Reply: Maryland gas station converts to EV charging station