EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Our Audi e-tron journey!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-20, 05:53 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Our Audi e-tron journey!

So, we decided to try out something electric, but wanted to stay with something that had certain convenience and luxury features. Followed rumblings on the Audi e-tron and significant incentives potentially available.

We were able to find a leftover 2019 Audi e-tron Prestige. Sticker price was ~$84K, but if you lease, there's the federal tax credit of $7,500, there was an Audi dealer marketing allowance of over $9,000, as well as dealer discounting. Some dealers won't pass through all/part of the marketing allowance, but was able to lay out a deal that effectively discounted the car by over 30% and brought the lease payment down below our outgoing X5, while having more equipment and tech, and also allows us to stop filling up with Premium gas.

I'll continue to update this thread. We're getting a NEMA 14/50 outlet installed in the garage this week and have ordered a separate level 2 charger as well, although could have kept using the provided charger from Audi which is rated pretty well.

Anyways, this is just the start of this journey and happy to share the experience and answer any questions as we go!
Old 09-30-20, 06:50 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Wow...congratulations! I know some people at work that have it and love it. I highly recommend abetterrouteplanner.com to map out any excursion that requires charging. The car is beautiful and very luxurious.

Once you go EV, hard to go back!
Old 09-30-20, 07:01 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
So, we decided to try out something electric, but wanted to stay with something that had certain convenience and luxury features. Followed rumblings on the Audi e-tron and significant incentives potentially available.

We were able to find a leftover 2019 Audi e-tron Prestige. Sticker price was ~$84K, but if you lease, there's the federal tax credit of $7,500, there was an Audi dealer marketing allowance of over $9,000, as well as dealer discounting. Some dealers won't pass through all/part of the marketing allowance, but was able to lay out a deal that effectively discounted the car by over 30% and brought the lease payment down below our outgoing X5, while having more equipment and tech, and also allows us to stop filling up with Premium gas.

https://youtu.be/cq3Nlfy5OwI

I'll continue to update this thread. We're getting a NEMA 14/50 outlet installed in the garage this week and have ordered a separate level 2 charger as well, although could have kept using the provided charger from Audi which is rated pretty well.

Anyways, this is just the start of this journey and happy to share the experience and answer any questions as we go!
Congrats, you did the work on this as one and reaped the rewards! Costco discount as well?
Old 09-30-20, 07:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Congratulations! Look forward to reading and seeing your experience with it.
Old 09-30-20, 07:40 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Congrats, you did the work on this as one and reaped the rewards! Costco discount as well?
Costco was a good starting point to know that 10% off MSRP is strictly possible and I targeted just a bit higher than that. One fairly high volume dealer near us said they didn't want to do the deal (they claim they're buying additional leftover 19's from California dealers and shipping them back east). But the dealer up in Owings Mills said they would be able to do it. Obviously the dealer marketing allowance is the dealer's bucket of money and they can decide how much of it, if any, they're willing to pass through to the customer.
Old 09-30-20, 07:41 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
Wow...congratulations! I know some people at work that have it and love it. I highly recommend abetterrouteplanner.com to map out any excursion that requires charging. The car is beautiful and very luxurious.

Once you go EV, hard to go back!
Thanks! So far so smooth! For any longer excursions, although probably not in the cards any time soon anyways, we would likely lean on our minivan, but will definitely see what we can do with the 200 or so range we do have on tap.
Old 09-30-20, 07:42 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Congratulations! Look forward to reading and seeing your experience with it.
Thanks! Yes, should be a fun dip into the EV pool. Already learning a lot, like Virginia doesn't seem to have peak/off-peak electricity rates that would make overnight charging cheaper.
Old 09-30-20, 09:15 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Congrats! Enjoy!
Old 09-30-20, 09:33 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Looking forward to hearing long term thoughts. It is an enticing package to me as well, except for the range. I know people will say that I dont need 300+ miles on a charge, etc etc, but it is just a simple form of comparison between electric cars, and in this way, it is definitely a knock on the product. Even so, I like the interior and exterior look.
Old 09-30-20, 12:00 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXSF
Looking forward to hearing long term thoughts. It is an enticing package to me as well, except for the range. I know people will say that I dont need 300+ miles on a charge, etc etc, but it is just a simple form of comparison between electric cars, and in this way, it is definitely a knock on the product. Even so, I like the interior and exterior look.
Went back and forth on this a little bit myself. We can charge at home, more to come on that later, but it's pretty easy process to throw the plug back on the car whenever we get home, take it off before leaving, to keep topping off some energy. Tesla has obviously directed much of the EV market to hold range and extreme acceleration as the key metrics when comparing vehicles, as that's what they do best, and that's the benefit of being the first mover. We can gladly tradeoff range (for now) and the sub 5/4/3 second acceleration to 60 for added features like cooled and massaging seats, a powered sunshade, a leather stitched dash, etc. Along with, at least from initial inspection, pretty high level of build quality.

The traditional OEMs seem poised to make some pretty big leaps of their own when it comes to EV range, which is why the lease seemed most attractive to us, something for the short to mid term as the coming wave of new EV products comes to market.

Would we have gotten the e-tron at full sticker? Not a chance. But more than happy to take one on at the price point we did get it for.
Old 09-30-20, 02:03 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Totally cool! Enjoy the e-tron!
Old 09-30-20, 02:22 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

We can gladly tradeoff range (for now) and the sub 5/4/3 second acceleration to 60 for added features like cooled and massaging seats, a powered sunshade, a leather stitched dash, etc. Along with, at least from initial inspection, pretty high level of build quality.
So your E-Tron has this now?
Old 09-30-20, 04:28 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
So your E-Tron has this now?
Yes, it's a Prestige. Our X5 had them as well.
Old 09-30-20, 06:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Yes, it's a Prestige. Our X5 had them as well.
It's a pretty penny option, but kind of worth it. I've sampled it in the 5-Series and a few SAVs.

The cooled and heated cupholder option on the X5 is a trip. The cold option works really well.
Old 10-02-20, 05:29 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 289 Likes on 206 Posts

The 200 mile range is tough for me to get over. The reason I say that is if that is the max range is it really like 150 if you drive hard or if it’s really cold out? Or is the 200 range pretty solid?

it’s funny, when I saw your X5 review my guess was going to be the etron because of what you said during your review and the creature comforts you are used to.

Quick Reply: Our Audi e-tron journey!