EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Musk: Tesla must cut costs or stock will be ‘crushed like a souffle under a sledgeham

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-21, 01:32 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

I have no bias against EVs. In fact, my next EV will be one made by Lexus albeit a high performance one.

Also you have to admit that the term he coined : Electric Jesus aptly and pithily sums up the cult of personality and unthinking hero worship built up around Elon Musk.

Last edited by natnut; 01-03-21 at 02:08 AM.
Old 01-03-21, 05:10 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You read into far too much I never said it was failure.
Missing a goal by what is essentially a rounding error IS a massive achievement victory esp during a pandemic when the world got shut down and massive unemployment. To call it "pretty good" or not acknowledging the company's achievement is just a backhanded way of calling it a failure. Sure they may give price cuts along with incentives, but what car company doesnt? Did u pay full price for your new 4runner, a hot vehicle in a hot segment? As long as they at a minimum break even, I'm fine with incentives.

Last edited by situman; 01-03-21 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-03-21, 05:24 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
If Tesla would have lease pricing in line with BMW, MB, Lexus etc - their sales would probably be at least double of what they are now.
I agree, their lease pricing is terrible and that is one of the main reasons I don’t have one. I don’t want to buy a car and if the lease rates are as bad as they are I can’t justify getting one. However, when demand is as high as it is, they don’t have to make them competitive.
Old 01-03-21, 07:06 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I agree, their lease pricing is terrible and that is one of the main reasons I don’t have one. I don’t want to buy a car and if the lease rates are as bad as they are I can’t justify getting one. However, when demand is as high as it is, they don’t have to make them competitive.
Residual values on electric cars are terrible. There is no tangible way to have competitive lease prices when your Tesla is worth maybe like 50% of its initial price after 3 yrs? Tesla certainly do not have the financial firepower to artificially pad the residual value like a MB or BMW would and can.
Old 01-03-21, 08:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Electric Jesus aptly and pithily sums up the cult of personality and unthinking hero worship built up around Elon Musk.
Kenneth Lay and Jeffery Skilling had that same following....
Old 01-03-21, 08:30 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Kenneth Lay and Jeffery Skilling had that same following....
From investors, not consumers. Elon is loved from the people that actually use their product because it's a great product. Also, Elon is much more Jobs than Lay as most people have no clue who Lay is.
Old 01-03-21, 08:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Lay as most people have no clue who Lay is.
Lay is dead...I guess Skilling could work for Elon

Originally Posted by EZZ
Elon is much more Jobs
I don't mind Elon Musk

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-03-21 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-03-21, 08:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The ad hominen attacks on Cadogan's credibility rather than debating the facts he brings up in his videos seems to be a case of shooting the messenger because the audience doesn't like hearing the inconvenient truth.
It is what it is. It is very hard to have a discussion that is in any way "critical" of Tesla....I think the EV stocks are in a big bubble. Tesla, NIO need to come back to Earth.
Old 01-03-21, 09:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The ad hominen attacks on Cadogan's credibility rather than debating the facts he brings up in his videos seems to be a case of shooting the messenger because the audience doesn't like hearing the inconvenient truth.
Exactly. And, in this case, the bullets from the shooting are bouncing off of him and not doing any harm.
Old 01-03-21, 09:17 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Residual values on electric cars are terrible. There is no tangible way to have competitive lease prices when your Tesla is worth maybe like 50% of its initial price after 3 yrs? Tesla certainly do not have the financial firepower to artificially pad the residual value like a MB or BMW would and can.
I disagree about this.

The main reason they don’t offer competitive leases is they sell every vehicle they make with no discount. Go try to lease a Porsche 911 or any Porsche - horrible lease rates but they have very strong residuals. They don’t want to lessen the brand by offering cheap leases.

Once Tesla has enough factories to produce more cars than they have demand- then they will get into leasing game. I personally know several ppl that would have gotten one if lease price was competitive.

Obsessed Garage just picked up his Model 3 Perf - he said they delivered 70cars on the day he picked his up in Orlando.

We need to remember this company has only been making cars for 7-8yrs and they are not even close to being at optimal production. There is great improvement already which will continue. Imagine once they start offering more options for interior colors, wheels etc. At this point they are just scratching the surface.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 01-03-21 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-03-21, 09:22 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Exactly. And, in this case, the bullets from the shooting are bouncing off of him and not doing any harm.
Lol. When he is factually wrong about what he is talking about, the bullets hit to the heart of his anti-EV stance. He comes off ignorant.

JP Morgan is a bear on Tesla but they come off credible because they acknowledge the market facts and Tesla's success. They just don't believe the valuation which is a fair point.
Old 01-03-21, 09:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Lol. When he is factually wrong about what he is talking about,.
lol..what is he factually wrong about?
Old 01-03-21, 09:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Lol. When he is factually wrong about what he is talking about, the bullets hit to the heart of his anti-EV stance. He comes off ignorant.
You must enjoy wasting your ammunition.

Old 01-03-21, 09:40 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

lol..what is he factually wrong about?
The typical stupid things like Tesla losing money on every car they make. Not a single credible financial analyst says this. Lol.

He has his opinion and that's fine but it's like any opinion piece...it comes off very biased and only there to bolster one side. When I research Tesla by the big credible analysts, at least there is objectivity in their assessments and leads credence to their negative opinions.

I also take a middle of the road view in Tesla. Are they overvalued? Absolutely. Do they have questionable quality? Yup. But they still make a great product and I believe the EVs will replace ICE in my lifetime. In fact, I think by 20 years, most new cars sold will be EV.
Old 01-03-21, 09:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
The typical stupid things like Tesla losing money on every car they make. Not a single credible financial analyst says this. Lol.
Can't look at just list price...or even wholesale. When you figure in what the company is spending on warranty-repairs, they probably are losing money on many, of not most of their vehicles.

Quick Reply: Musk: Tesla must cut costs or stock will be ‘crushed like a souffle under a sledgeham