EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Musk: Tesla must cut costs or stock will be ‘crushed like a souffle under a sledgeham

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-20, 07:05 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It’s pretty crazy that this one guy can say something and Tesla stocks drop 4%.

https://m.benzinga.com/article/18622...Fwww.google.ca
LOL, He's not why the stock dropped. Michael Burry has been wrong on a ton of things after correctly identifying the housing crisis over 10 years ago. For what it's worth, his "Big Short" counterpart (Steve Eisman) lost a ton of cash shorting Tesla earlier in 2020 and gave up betting against Tesla. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/05/even...nst-tesla.html

Also, don't ignore the news last night that Goldman put a $780 price target on TSLA. That would be over 30% growth from today's levels.
Old 12-03-20, 07:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
LOL, He's not why the stock dropped..
So why did the stock drop?
Old 12-03-20, 07:29 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Money paid for stock shares does not simply go into a vacuum. Even the broker who sells the shares to an investor only gets a commission on the sale, not most of the money from the stock-sale itself. A good part of that money ends up benefitting the company. What you say is true, though, that Musk was referring to the negative reaction of future investors, in a lower share price, if Tesla does not start making higher margins.

This part is not fact, though, but just my opinion......if it wasn't for the huge number of Model 3 sales, Tesla would have been in serious trouble several years ago. That vehicle has been a gold mine for the company.
THe money will benefit the company during an IPO or if the company does more stock sales after IPO. Day to day trading has no affect on the company.
Old 12-03-20, 07:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

The same reason stock prices always rise or fall....demand, unless the price is artificially manipulated, which is not only difficult to do but illegal and a Federal Offense.

So, the next obvious question is...why did demand fall? Only the investors can answer that, and it will probably differ from person to person, but my guess is that some of them are simply losing confidence in Musk's ability to run the company.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-03-20 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-03-20, 07:30 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 802 Likes on 560 Posts

The same reason the stock is up almost 3% right now. It's a super volatile stock that has been trending up but regularly has large swings
Old 12-03-20, 07:31 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The same reason stock prices always rise or fall....demand, unless the price is artificially manipulated, which is not only difficult to do but illegal and a Federal Offense.
Apparently the stock dropped immediately after he said what he said.
Old 12-03-20, 07:32 AM
situman
Pole Position

Most likely because Elon himself suggested the stock price is too high and profit taking. I mean the thing went up almost $200 in a little over a week so it is time for a bit of a breather to digest the gains or take some off the table. Plus this past week was just a weird dynamic for alternative energy stocks with Nikola losing the lifeline that is GM and etc.
Old 12-03-20, 07:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
The same reason the stock is up almost 3% right now. It's a super volatile stock that has been trending up but regularly has large swings
mmm. I just find it interesting it dropped after he said something. (Didn’t fact check the timelines) however.
Old 12-03-20, 07:38 AM
situman
Pole Position

Their margins are low due to their aggressive expansion and investment. Also, a huge part is manual reworks of cars due to defects and huge warranty expenses with their avg build quality cars. I mean when you have a tent full of workers fixing paints, panel gaps, duct taping parts in the middle of the night, its going to cost you salaries and OT. WHen a customer comes back because the paint started peeling, that's another expense. Trying to penny pinch is a self defeating purpose when they should invest in bettering their manufacturing process and improve efficiencies of the manufacturing process. Maybe they should go hire away a few Toyota production engineers or something. You cant cost cut your way out of problems.
Old 12-03-20, 07:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Apparently the stock dropped immediately after he said what he said.
That's not manipulation, though....at least according to the legal code for it. Like I said above, I suspect that some potential investors are losing confidence in his ability to run the company. Situman, above, also brought up some valid issues.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-03-20 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-03-20, 07:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

That's not manipulation, though....at least according to the legal code for it. Like I said above, I suspect that some potential investors are losing confidence in his ability to run the company. Situman, above, also brought up some valid issues.
I never said it was manipulation. I firmly hold my position that it was interesting
Old 12-03-20, 07:54 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 277 Posts

Burry made his statements the same day that Musk said they needed to cut costs for profitability. Which one do you think carries more weight?
Old 12-03-20, 07:55 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Also, don't ignore the news last night that Goldman put a $780 price target on TSLA. That would be over 30% growth from today's levels.
https://electrek.co/2020/12/03/tesla...goldman-sachs/

Old 12-03-20, 07:56 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Thats not why the stock dropped though. When a stock reaches a certain point, investors think its run its course and sell and this helps to cause volatility in the stock. Most investors LOVE Musk and want him running the company. The Board of Directors has ABSOLUTE faith in him and wouldn't dream of removing him. You don't bite the hand that feeds you. If you read the analyst reports and attend all the earnings calls, its evident that Musk has total control of this company. Also, he has a unique form of control over Tesla where he holds 22% of the company but it takes 2/3rds of total votes from the BoD to enact major changes to Tesla's corporate structure. That means to oust Musk from control, they would need around 90% of votes outside of Musk votes to overturn anything he wants to do which is extremely difficult. He basically has free run over the company as the founder and almost nothing outside of total fraud will keep him from the CEO role.
Old 12-03-20, 08:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Burry made his statements the same day that Musk said they needed to cut costs for profitability. Which one do you think carries more weight?
The 1% profit comment by Musk was significant. I would say Burrys tweet and actions are important as well

Quick Reply: Musk: Tesla must cut costs or stock will be ‘crushed like a souffle under a sledgeham