EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Musk: Tesla must cut costs or stock will be ‘crushed like a souffle under a sledgeham

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-20, 01:28 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I thought you already said it was "probably" overvalued?
Investing over the long-term is different than actively shorting the stock which the short-sellers did. Its really just gambling so I have no sympathy for those type of investors. They know the risks.
Old 12-04-20, 01:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Investing over the long-term is different than actively shorting the stock which the short-sellers did. Its really just gambling so I have no sympathy for those type of investors. They know the risks.
Ah........
Old 12-04-20, 01:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
I have to give the short sellers credit for one thing, they put their money where their mouth is. Incredibly stupid but commendable on some level.

That's an excellent point, especially since there aren't many credible reasons why the stock price should show that kind of rise......especially with the company making only 1% profit (assuming that one can believe that 1% report). But I agree that any betting on stock-prices is potentially dumb. And it also shows that things occasionally happen in the business world that defy explanation....or at least conventional explanation.
Old 12-04-20, 01:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
. But I agree that any betting on stock-prices is potentially dumb.
It’s not dumb if you like risk...the bigger the risk...the bigger the reward. As COVID surges...as the job report was far less that what was expected.....stalled relief bill....stay at home orders......and the Buffet indicators....a crash is coming.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-04-20 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-04-20, 02:03 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

It’s not dumb if you like risk...the bigger the risk...the bigger the reward. As COVID surges...asthe job report was far less that what was expected...and the Buffet indicators....a crash is coming.
Its a gamble but if you're good at it, why not. But if you lose it all...own damn fault. Musk also loathed the short-sellers because they also initiated a widespread propaganda campaign against Tesla and EVs spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt. In the end, he makes it a point to shove it in their faces and gloat whenever he can as they've lost billions. He even created Tesla products that made fun of them (Tesla short shorts for example). Musk is very immature for sure though

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/17/b...ck-shorts.html
Old 12-04-20, 02:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Its a gamble but if you're good at it, why not. But if you lose it all...own damn fault. Musk also loathed the short-sellers because they also initiated a widespread propaganda campaign against Tesla and EVs spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt. In the end, he makes it a point to shove it in their faces and gloat whenever he can as they've lost billions. He even created Tesla products that made fun of them (Tesla short shorts for example). Musk is very immature for sure though

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/17/b...ck-shorts.html
Do you believe there are conspirators?
Old 12-04-20, 02:20 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Do you believe there are conspirators?
Was there bad mis-information spread by short-sellers who wanted to see Tesla crash...yes. Was there a huge conspiracy to shut Tesla down...i don't believe so. There is an entire group called TeslaQ that was dedicated to the short-sale of Tesla but their influence was questionable. Right now though, most of them are done short-selling as they've lost their shirts doing it. All this is pretty much behind Tesla now.
Old 12-04-20, 02:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Was there bad mis-information spread by short-sellers who wanted to see Tesla crash...yes. Was there a huge conspiracy to shut Tesla down...i don't believe so. There is an entire group called TeslaQ that was dedicated to the short-sale of Tesla but their influence was questionable. Right now though, most of them are done short-selling as they've lost their shirts doing it. All this is pretty much behind Tesla now.
I think the Burry tweet and actions are significant....(time will tell)
Old 12-05-20, 08:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

It’s not dumb if you like risk...the bigger the risk...the bigger the reward. As COVID surges...as the job report was far less that what was expected.....stalled relief bill....stay at home orders......and the Buffet indicators....a crash is coming.
I wasn't referring to normal investment and buying/selling of stock shares. I was refering to the practice being discussed here....simply betting on their future value, like betting on the outcome of a boxing match or a football game. As I see it, this is different from the "bet" that one takes on their value simply with buying shares....of course that's a gamble anytime one does that, unless they have (illegal) insider-trading information.
Old 12-05-20, 09:47 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 452 Posts

Bought Tesla. Ignored the noise. Didn’t try to bet for or against. Simply did nothing and held. We have a nearly 1200% gain on our stock. Our only mild regret is not buying more...
Old 12-05-20, 10:14 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Here's why saying Tesla is only profitable due to other auto makers buying up green credits is a myopic. Even if that were true it misses the forest for the trees. Think about WHY this is happening, not just that it is happening. It's about the surest future indicator you will ever have. The only thing you have to decide is if the future will be BEVs or HFCEVs, and base your portfolio on that.

Or if you think neither and some other tech will win out, then short Tesla stock.
Old 12-06-20, 07:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
The only thing you have to decide is if the future will be BEVs or HFCEVs, and base your portfolio on that.
Why do you have to decide one side?
Old 12-06-20, 08:28 AM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Bought Tesla. Ignored the noise. Didn’t try to bet for or against. Simply did nothing and held. We have a nearly 1200% gain on our stock. Our only mild regret is not buying more...
One of my neighbors dropped couple hundred Ks on TSLA back in the day. Sold after the split for $2M profit. Must be nice..:
Old 12-06-20, 11:42 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by stasek
One of my neighbors dropped couple hundred Ks on TSLA back in the day. Sold after the split for $2M profit. Must be nice..:
that’s awesome. Takes some ***** to hold with dollar gains like that. Good for your neighbor!
Old 12-07-20, 11:41 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 277 Posts

FYI, since this post was created on 12/2, TSLA is up over $82/share (about 16% in under a week). It was $555/share and is currently $638/share.

Quick Reply: Musk: Tesla must cut costs or stock will be ‘crushed like a souffle under a sledgeham